Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 6th, 2010

Question Time: What It's Like To Work For, And Compete Against, Rupert Murdoch

In the British parliament, legislators engage in "Question Time" – a chance to get any and all questions answered.

In our "Question Time" web series, we'll ask Piers Morgan about some of the most interesting topics in his life and in the news. Today: what it was like to work for, and compete against, media mogul Rupert Murdoch.

Piers was hired in 1994 as the youngest editor of the News of the World, Rupert Murdoch's U.K. paper. Two years later, when he was 30, he moved on to the Daily Mirror, directly competing with his former boss. As he prepares to host his CNN show in January, he'll be back in competition with another Murdoch media outlet, Fox News. "He's a brilliant boss, and he's a ruthless competitor," Piers told me. "And I know he'll be the same with me now."

Piers said Murdoch already has wished him good luck – but he knows part of Murdoch will be wanting "to kill me." And will he get Murdoch on Piers Morgan Tonight? Piers has asked...and it wasn't exactly a no.

Do you have something you want Piers to answer? Leave it in the comments or tweet us at @PiersTonight, and we'll ask Piers in a future "Question Time."

Later this week, Piers takes on the issue of his firing from the Daily Mirror in 2004. And coming tomorrow, an exclusive, first-time look at an internal full staff meeting at CNN.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Question Time
  1. Susan

I bet your ex boss isnt the only one with those sentiments,lol

December 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Chery

Thanks CNN you made it an easy choice not to watch the Larry King time slot.. I will not be watching this arrogant guy host. He is obnoxious and offensive. A better replacement could have been found that would have been enjoyed by faithful Larry King viewers. He may be fit for England but not here in the states. He is very rude.

December 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lexi

Piers, you are not a Republican, are you? If you are, I won't watch your show.

December 6, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. bert

I'm really excited to see this! A Rupert Murdoch interview would be quite engaging. Please change the colors on this site – they literally burn my eyes.

December 6, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dan Ford

Do you foresee having Omarosa as one of your guests?

December 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Rick

My question is, does he REALLY think he'll be successful at this in America because I'd say his chances are slim.

December 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Chris

All I have to say it will be easy to do Larry King's job.

His idea of hard hitting questions are those based no favorite colors, favorite movie, and probably even their favorite number ( Traditionally, I've changed the channel by then.)

Good luck to you, I'll tune in at 9pm as soon as they get Mr. King off the air.

December 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Nick hardie

I hpoe you ask serious questions of your guest, and not some dopy questions like Larry king

December 6, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jayden,FL

Congratulations Mr.Morgan I do wish you all the best... and I wish you as much success that you are currently having with Life Stories.

PS- Keep the format of your new show like that of Life Stories.. It shall be an interesting ride..

December 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Brandon

Why did you leave Rupert Murdoch in the first place ?? Money ???

December 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jerry

The statement that his former boss is trying to kill him is highly inappropriate. Please remove this statement. No, I'm not a Fox News fan, but this 'teaser statement' is just Wrong.

December 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Deborah

Hope future Question Time posts address the show format – how similar to/diff than Life Stories?

December 6, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Patty-Virginia Beach

Piers.......My husband & I always liked you a lot until you made some Slobbering comments about Obama, like he was your Idol. Very disappointed! You should keep out of politics or it will ruin your show. Don't know if we will watch your show now, or not?

December 6, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jeremy Taubenfeld

Are you still going to judge on America's Got Talent? I was glad "The Hoff" got the boot, but you? Couldn't handle that.

December 6, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Eddie

I cannot believe CNN has stooped so low to hire Piers to compete with fox. Wow...real quality journalism guys. No thanks.

December 6, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Pierce Morgan

Are we so bankrupt in journalism talent in the united states that we have to select a brit whose latest claim to fame is the highly intellectual America's got talent to replace the venerable larry king?

December 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Walt

VERY excited about your new show!! I anticipate it will be more fair and balanced than most. :-) Good luck. We need you!

December 6, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Criminy

Blah Blah Blah

I like Piers... but this kind of hype makes me doubt the quality of his upcoming show. Too bad.

December 6, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Trixie Beld

This article is really hard to read, it's white lettering is difficult to read.

December 6, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. TruthInAdvertising

"Boss out to kill me"

Like to use misleading headlines to get people to read articles they wouldn't read otherwise?

December 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. disgusted

Headlines and entirely fluff stories like this absolutely destroy whats left of my trust in CNN. This "Piers Morgan: My Ex-Boss is out to kill me" headline is absolutely stupid, misleading, unnecessarily sensationalistic. The story accompanying story is 100% about nothing. No more CNN for me.

December 6, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. TH

An odd decision. He doesn't have the most attractive of personalities, nor the best grasp of the finer points of an issue.

December 10, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply