Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 6th, 2011

And the first guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" will be...

"Piers Morgan Tonight" launches January 17th at 9pmET on CNN. At today's Television Critics Association panel, Piers Morgan announced his first guest: Oprah Winfrey.

Stay tuned clips from the interview coming soon.

For video and stills, please go to CNNpressroom.com. And of course, you could just follow Piers Morgan on Twitter.

Post by:
Filed under: News
  1. professor v.j. cornacopia

I can't wait until the Howard Stern interview!!! Baba Booey! Baba Booey!

January 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Edward Nashville, TN

They sure have been hyping the show. Hope they can live up to it.

January 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Billy

When can we see it In England? When does it start in the States – MODERATION NOTES: Piers Morgan Tonight airs at 2:00, 12:00 and 20:00 Monday-Saturday GMT.

January 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

They sure have been hyping the show and I seriously doubt if he will live up to it. I give him two months and cnn pulls the show, he is hard to watch.

January 7, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • gary

I find him irritating good...I think he will be on much longer than 2 months...I wish him the best actually...I don't care what nationalility he is...entertainment is entertainment

January 7, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sigp232

Wouldn't Larry King be a better first interview?

January 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Name

So sad that Larry didn't pass the torch to his daughter Chaia, she would have been the best for the job.

January 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ali

Good luck

January 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. andrew

I thought it was going to be President Obama.

January 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Dave

Really? Isn't it about time we put an end to all this cosying up to 'celebrities'? I thought Morgan was supposed to be a breath of fresh air?

When does he interview Larry King?

January 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bobbie

Talk about starting off on the wrong foot! No bigger irrelevant windbag in the world than oprah!!

January 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Old Perfessor

yay

January 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Robert

Surprised it was not Larry King.

January 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Stacy Temucin

Having a big super star like Ms. Oprah Winfrey is big in it's self. You couldn't have a better first guest. Piers Morgan well his name speaks for him self I think he's great. Can't wait to see the show. GOOD LUCK

January 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. milissa adams

with oprah being his first guess it will mean he has big shoes to fill. for his sake hopefully he can because oprah is top of the line.

January 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. OWN

Agreed! Sure it was a toss up between OPRAH or Ted!

January 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Paul Willson

Can he not start with a serious guest Oprah is not serious and he will not be taken seriously . Get an American host

January 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Riley

Sarah Palin must have refused to go on his show.

January 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Don

I thought they had already announced that Piers's first guest would be Larry King.

January 6, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Roberto

Ohh so dangerous–let's face it–no one with an English accent is dangerous

January 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Priyank

You're of to a very promising start, sir... I look forward to seeing how the interview goes, and here's wishing you the best of luck! :)

January 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. nora

First guest, Oprah. How original!

January 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Stan Kapusta

Couldn't they get an American?

January 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. CONNIE

ANYONE WOULD BE BETTER THAN LARRY KING

January 6, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. David

^yawn*...she's overexposed...

January 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. elle

The commercials have been a total turn off. He strikes me as annoying, slightly smarmy, British.
    We'll see

January 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Kathy S.

Really? I somehow thought this show would be "dangerous"...aka...LIVE. Very disappointed.

January 6, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Carmen

Very disappointing Piers. I was going to watch, but Oprah ? She is so full of herself . Sorry, I won't watch .

January 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Fred Morgan

Piers is a foreigner.

We need to keep our dollars close to home.

January 6, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. chris

Nice that his first guest isn't someone who is totally over-hyped.

January 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Njeri

Hi piers morgan u couldn't have started as better as u have started.ms Oprah Winfrey,gd start.can't wait 2 c the shore.BEST OF LUCK

January 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Sprtman

Wasted first guest. She is the most uninteresting person ever.

January 6, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. DTW

Hope he fails. Can't stand him.

January 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Elin

I can't wait to see the show! Two of my favourite people :D

January 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. stepasidesue

I was looking forward to his show, bummer. I can't stand "Oprah" She is the most self serving human on the planet. Seriously, have you ever seen anyone more self promoting.

January 6, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Cassandra

I loved LKL! I am eagerly awaiting Piers Morgan's debut?

January 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Jade

YAWN

January 6, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Bettina

Oh please .., not another celebrity show , it is so boring to watch people who are in love with themselves.
    I was hoping for a show with a new concept , seems he is just going to carry on where Larry left off , boring..!!!!!

January 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Kirbert

I hope Morgan asks Oprah what she thinks about a re-edit of Huckleberry Finn to remove the "n" word and replace it with "slave".

January 6, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Deanne

I really thought that you would come up with someone much more interesting than Oprah. We see and hear her everyday. You get tired of her just like we did with Anna Nicole, Lindsay Lohan, Obama, etc. They are over exposed. We need a break! Disappoiinting!!! Maybe I'll catch your second program.
    Good luck!

January 6, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. mlongnecker

OMG and I thought it would be Susan Boyles.

January 7, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Vicky

Why not an American host? With so many Americans out of work shame on youCNN. Did you reaally
    have to leave the country to find host?

January 7, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Scorp55

Way to hang it out there on the limb, really reaching for it... setting the bar for high quality, probing insightful interviews for years (days?) to come .... Oprah, indeed!

Maybe you can do Martha Stewart next....

Oh, and use that Babawa Walters question.... "If you were a tree...."

January 7, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Delgado

Piers Morgan is not to be taken lightly. However, a lot of folks are used to the Larry King 'sing-songee' routine and fairly lightweight questions. Mr. King was getting to the point where he didn't recognize a good answer and changed his questions. Of course, on the opposite extreme, guys like Leno, Letterman, Conehead & Ferguson are such incredibly good listeners thats all they do – riff off of their guests answers.

Oprah and King are totally overrated as interviewers but they're both HUGE ICONS...

January 7, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. jeff

Howard Stern is supposed to be on one of the first PRE-RECORDED shows. I see a lot of diversity with the guests so far....

January 7, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Sylvia

I will be watching but will have to admit I was a LKL fan. I hope you don't get into the obnoxious host syndrome. I like to observe the guest as themselves and not under attack. And I absolutely can't stand shows where the host cuts off the guest or talks over like the View & O'Reilly. Good luck thought!

January 7, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Marco555

Admit it, you Brits love this country.

January 7, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Yup

Howard Stern was supposed to be the first big guest, but he'll be coming on the show soon enough. Howard would have made this first episode ratings gold.

January 7, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. DianD

Bang. After LKL, Piers is such a fresh treat. Love him.

January 7, 2011 at 4:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Meggie24

Love Piers, don't like Oprah ... this'll be interesting. Can't wait to watch!

January 7, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  48. lisá

Now that's a way to satrt things off! I wish him well.

January 7, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Arthur Crowley

WOW!! Great. The only way You can beat that is to get Howard Stern – the greatest interview in all of Media.

January 7, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  50. MDDave

Oprah.... Yuck! When Larry King announced his retirement, I was hoping that CNN would fill his time slot with a show that was at least a little more intellectually challenging, Sadly, it looks like we are in for many more years of drivel from attention seeking celebrities.

January 7, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  51. cathy

oprah = boring = who cares

January 7, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Narciss

Anderson Cooper, another journalist from the same channel, Oprah, a TV host ...that's funny to see these TV people interviewing each other within their small world.

January 7, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  53. Jersey Dude

Oprah this, Oprah that....make it stop!....enough already!!!!!!!

January 7, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  54. Kathy Fenn

What a mistake CNN has made picking Mr. Morgan to replace Larry King.

January 7, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  55. jt

Next Week....Sliced Bread!

January 7, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  56. tlym

I was looking forward to Piers' first show, but having Oprah as his first guest ruined it for me. Sorry, too much Oprah overload.

January 7, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Stacy Temucin

I think that people do not give enough encouragement for others that have achieved in life and that we should all embrace the fact that we are all of one and that without each other the world Would not have existence we all play a part in life. So again I say Good Luck and on with the show!!!!!!

January 7, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  58. Jayden

Get Lord Sugar on the show! followed by Jeremy Clarkson... that would be great TV...

January 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. terrible

Another lackluster talk show serving up soft questions to the rich and powerful. Wow. The only good guest he will have is Howard Stern.

January 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  60. patricia lumaava

Love Piers Morgan!!! He's a good interviewer n a good host.

January 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  61. adela

I just saw a clip of this guy on Access Hollywood say Madonna is banned from the show and is "too annoying" to be interviewed. He then went on to make negative comparisons (with Lady Gaga) about her age, etc... I've seen him on that unwatchable show of his "America's Got Talent." Touche. A completely classless and unnecessary thing to say on television. Not interested.

January 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  62. Ayo

All the best Piers Morgan. I will be following your success in the USA.

January 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  63. Mary Banks

I have been along time Larry King fan and was looking foward to the Pier Morgan program. I happened to watch his interview with Joel osteen and came away disgusted with the way he interviewed this man.. I will never watch his program again. He was disrespectful and stupid. I will have to turn to msnbc fr fox. anything but this program.

January 27, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  64. Patricia Wareham

Piers Morgan is a breath of fresh air! He is an excellent host asking interesting questions yet always the gentleman. He is both euridite and probing. Thank you,CNN, for finding him. Keep up the good work,Piers!

February 1, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse | Reply