Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Piers Morgan and Oprah Winfrey make bet about who can book Michael Vick first
January 16th, 2011

Piers Morgan and Oprah Winfrey make bet about who can book Michael Vick first

In this first clip from the Oprah Winfrey "Piers Morgan Tonight' interview, Piers Morgan asks "what advice would you give Michael Vick?"

Oprah didn't want to answer – because she's saving her thoughts for when she interviews the NFL Comeback Player of the year. But Piers is trying to book Vick too. And then a bet was hatched.

After initially passing up a £100 bet, Oprah upped the stakes to £200 (which roughly translates to $317). After a handshake, the bet was on. "The way I live my life is, if it's supposed to happen, it will happen. And if Michael Vick choses to sit with you as his first interview and not sit with e then that's the way it's supposed to be," said Oprah, before adding: "But don't call me later, Mike."

The full interview airs Monday, January 17 at 9pmET/PT (and internationally).

Post by:
Filed under: Piers On CNN
  1. Gerry

I have watched Piers Morgan over the last few days. Please accept this input and pass on my advice. The man is not appropriate for this job and certainly will not equal Larry. His questions are innane and his color commentary is largely offensive. Too bad as the vacuum is as large as John Carsons. Regardless this guy with his British accent and weird ways is a looser. Help him out by passing on this message. I certainly will not be tuning in.
    Gerry Cushner

January 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. debra

Yes, let's make the poster child for animal abuse, illegal gambling and whatever else he was into, a Great American Hero. What a wonderful role model for children......I would just chomp at the bit to have him speak to my kids. Unfortunately this is one thing dreadfully wrong with the US today: anyone with the money can erase all the bad things they have done and come out smelling like a rose. I am so disgusted and it shows me yet again what Oprah and now Piers, is all about.

January 17, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Courtney

Who really cares. I am no where near interested in hearing anything that cruel man has to say. Perhaps they should be interviewing someone who has done great for this world and is not a heartless killer.

January 17, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Val

I'm disgusted that reputable TV personalities (ha) are talking about Vick like he's a desirable commodity. He's a monster.

January 17, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Michael

This is front page news? Seriously? CNN is going WAY downhill.

January 17, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Abudu Rahman

Who in the world is Piers Morgan?

January 17, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Elizabeth

Tammi Griffin / I am sorry I missed this. I would love to hear Trace talk otpilics. After reading his book I know our otpilics are similar and it's nice to hear it come from a superstar. think Hollywood will ever get it?Trace you are a true Patriot. God Bless you and your family.

April 2, 2012 at 3:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Keegan McCallister

It's outrageous that either one of these full-of-themselves individuals would give that rotten monster Vick the benefit of appearing on a show. The only show Vick should be allowed to appear on is a to-the-death gladitorial-type contest. I'd pay to watch that.

January 17, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Randy Johnson

This is pretty sad – making a bet on who can make a sadistic moron a bigger hero? If Larry King was still around and Vick wanted to be on the show, Larry would have said – "wait your turn – I'll get around to you sometime – maybe". I guess the 'void' has to be filled somehow – and they know that people will forget – but not as long as I'm here. RJ

January 17, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

I would put in a total of six piers, three on each 12 run. Then I would build the beam from two 2 8 and use 2 8 joist at 16 OC attaching the joist to the beams using joist heangrs. Depending on how high this is above the ground (and if money is no issue) I would use all pressure treated for the frame. If money is an issue use regular framing lumber and maybe put on a clear oil based preservative. Some have mentioned using 2 6 for the frame. Without knowing where you are located, the species of your local framing lumber, the grade of the lumber and what you are actually putting in the shed, I would stick with 2 8 framing.

April 5, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. All Of The USA

Vick sucks.

January 17, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jajuan

16a134351b7What i do not understood is acluatly how you are not acluatly much more well-liked than you may be right now. You are so intelligent. You realize thus significantly on the subject of this matter, made me for my part believe it from numerous varied angles. Its like women and men aren't interested except it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always handle it up! 18d

May 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dave

Why...why would either want Vick on their show? good night, this isn't about some athlete who fell into drug use after dabbling in them or wound up with some woman in some affair or even a domestic violence episode but rather, he's a man who had more money than he could have ever spent and what did he choose to do with his spare time? fight and torture dogs. That's just sick. Now, I understand he's done his time and paid for his crime but that doesn't change who he is

January 17, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol

I so agree.
      Will not waste my time watching him.

February 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jille

One question: Why is Piers Morgan laughing out loud like that?? I must have missed something but that burst, I don't get it...and yes she can afford that, didn't need to remind her!!!smh

January 17, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. David

I think both Piers Morgan and Oprah Winfrey should be ashamed of themselves for even considering having Michael Vick on their shows. To give a man that so cruelly tortured all of those dogs the airtime is deplorable. If he was anyone else, he'd be in jail, and neither would be looking to interview him. Shame on you both.

January 17, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. zanna

Whomever books this sociopath, Vick, will earn my lifelong boycott and that of my friends. I guarantee it.

January 17, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. lancelot mbambo

Can't wait to see Piers in action, with all the blunt answers and self-opinionated analysis. Talk show TV is about to undergo huge transformation. He reminds me of Alan Shore on Boston Legal/The Practice.

January 17, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. bob

theres typo in this paragraph, very pofessional

January 17, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Dicky

Seriously? This is the lead story???

January 17, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Randy Johnson

Ok let me crank it down a notch – it is pretty sad when Morgan and Winfrey have to fight over the spoils of Larry KIng when Larry would have made Vick just wait in line with everybody else in the world who actually 'wanted' to be on his show.

January 17, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. ed

Oprah: would you be kind and humanitarian enough to donate at least 1/50 of your exceeding wealth (billions) to help out in Haiti or in other parts of the world that really need it? not saying you should give a lot of money, just a bit. Man, if I had your wealth I would give half or more to help out millions of kids who really need help, would I be left poor if I were to donate half??..............

January 17, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Simon

Wow! They are fighting over a dog murder/torturer/mutilator? Oh he paid his dues you say? Bull! If anyone that was not a celebrity did what Vick did, they would be working in construction or something minimum wage the rest of your life. Try explaining those felonies to a future employer.

January 17, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Zach

I can't believe that this is front page news. I'm never coming to this site again.

January 17, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. JM

You're annoying Piers!! I don't even know who you are and I really don't get how you're saying that everything about Madonna is annoying. I hope you're not in the news cycles all the time.

January 17, 2011 at 4:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. john

Who cares what Ompha Think's or about Mickie Vick!!

January 17, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. T.Storm

I used to watch Oprah amny years ago, when her shows were focused on social problems of the time & possible solutions. Things that mattered. She has looooong since left that track & I quit watching her. Her programs became more & more political,... leaning more & more to the left. Now she wants to be the first to do an interview with a very sick indvidual (Vic), going against everything she stood for long ago. All for the sake of ratings. & we wonder why this country is going down the toilet.....

January 17, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Dana Triplett

Who cares!!

Anyone who thinks that Michael Vick has paid his debt and is a reformed individual needs to take a little walk down memory lane and remind themselves just what this so-called man was engaged in and willfully perpetrated.

January 17, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Dog Duty

I hope they both read "The Lost Dogs" before they interview Vick.

January 17, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. kimm.

Why would anyone even want to hear what Vick has to say....he's said it all.....nothing he says will ever change his violent, cowardly acts towards these poor dogs.....And for Oprah to even consider interviewing him is truly unbelievable....it was bad enough with the Octomom...I thought that was an all-time low for her, but now a DOG KILLER? Oprah....what the heck are you thinking? You surely are going out with a bang, Oprah....

January 17, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. George Layton

All the more reason to NOT watch either show.

January 17, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. David Fitzgerald

I have to say, first impression, Piers Morgan is 500% more interesting than Larry King at his height! Larry, I could not watch. Piers Morgan, yes! He's not afraid to ask edgy questions and questions that most other interviewers ask. I hope he has a long career.

January 17, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. D

Who will book him first?

my guess this the Pennsylvania state penitentiary

January 17, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. MikeinKC

I don't appreciate the Piers advertisement stuck on my computer screen DESPITE the fact that I clicked closed about 10 times. I come to the CNN website to get pretty much unbiased news NOT a pitch for your programming. Can you get over yourselves please and stop reminding me that you think Piers is the second coming of Christ.....or Oprah at least. He's NOT and I don't care about his show!

January 17, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Sybil

Who cares about Vick? I certainly do not. to ask him anything is a waste of breath
    But then Oprah and this other fool are in the business of getting people riled up.
    They are not journalist nor are the Edward R Morrow.

January 17, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Albert somerai

I am new to this program.its informative expect more comments from

January 17, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Linda

ENOUGH WITH OPRHA ALREADY! WHEN SHE CAN WALK ON WATER THEN I WILL BE IMPRESSED! I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING HER ON TV.

January 17, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Mimi Jorgensen

I haven't watched Pierce Morgan yet however he is no Larry King.Larry would insult people the way Pierce does.Who does he think he is banning Madonna and Heather Mills or anyone else.Can't we make that decision to watch or not.He doesn't like Americans he is a true Brit and absolutely NOT a good replacement for Larry. Larry was a true interviewer who listened to his "guests".Believe me the ratings are going to drop FAST! Who wants to come on the program and be insulted and not listened to and have a "host" who is so into himself.Like I said I haven't watched yet but what I've seen and heard I do not care for Pierce.He's a bragger.Larry was never that way.He was so real.Shame on CNN there are more suitable replacements. You'll see.

January 17, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. john madely

I think this Piers Morgan show you are launching will be remembered as one of CNN's worst failures!

January 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Bonnie Tierney

Why would anyone want to interview Mike Vic after he abused all those animals? I can't even look at the ads on television that want our donations because it makes me cringe to see abused animals!it kills me to see animals hurting!

January 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Bob form Pittsburgh

Common guys!! Do not make such a deal about it this guy already has a huge head, no need to make it any bigger..

Another pompous limey..

January 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. keb

Whose bright idea was that completely irritating expanding add on the CNN homepage today?!? I have heard all from and about Oprah that I ever care to hear (much more than enough), so will I be watching tonight –NO. I also have no interest in some stupid bet about who gets to interview Michael Vick –pure ugh!

January 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Modern Family

Yeah well, woo hoo CNN won't be watching this clown. He just got on the air and announced he hates Madonna, so I guess CNN can write-off most of the age 30-55 viewers. Not that this obviously self-absorbed British idiot interested us anyway.

January 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Martins O. Adegoke

Dear Mr. Piers Morgan:

In case i miss 'Piers Morgan' premier CNN live interview tonight with the equally legendary broadcaster, Ms. Winfrey Oprah, the question i would want Mr Piers Morgan to ask her guest is what is the 'News Editorial' direction of OWN, her new cable channel?

Thank you.

January 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol

Right now I don't think it has any direction. If Oprah is all about "love" this station doesn't have much at all. It's a bore.

January 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Kristina Heath

Piers, you did a great job!! You are perfect...smart but sweet with a touch of vulnerability. And love your generous, real smile. Wish you were still single...yep, you're hot! Kristina

January 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Junrey

NEVERTHELESS, THE CIVIL LAW is and must be neutral about who has a more noble or rdneraiwg faith. The breakaway parishes ought to win every facet of the lawsuit not because their beliefs or their politics are better, but because both lawand equity, along with common sense, are on their side. Not only does Virginia state law (the Division Statute)explicitly apply to just such a situation as now exists, but the history especially of The Falls Church argues against the claims of the Virginia Diocese with which theyhave disassociated.First, The Falls Church was founded, formed, and developed long before the diocese, or the national Episcopal Church, even existed.

April 4, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Brenda

Just finished watching the Oprah interview. Bravo, Piers!

January 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Hern

Shame !
    Betting with so much money ... 200 000 £
    Here in africa is Shame ... They can clean their botton with that papers !!!!

January 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. cybelle Brown

I loved Larry King and his stye. Your style is different – one on one, journalistically (is that a word?) prepared, jarring yet soft to your interviewees. Very disarming, yet smart, riveting and compelling. Looking forward to your season to determine whether I am a true fan.

January 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shriya

Thank you,I shot Thank you,I shot this in Winter time a couple of nuedrhd metres above my home in the Pennines, UK. It is a really beautiful and relaxing place.May you be well,Piers

April 4, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Tosin Makinde

The Oprah interview was awesome!!!

January 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Meenu

How to get storage shed off the ourgnd?I live in a mobile home park. Every house has a storage shed that was built sitting directly on the dirt when the home was installed. The shed is about 8 10, made of wood whatever that siding is that they put on new mobile homes. Since it is sitting on the dirt, it seems to me that it will begin to decay and also will get termites (in fact, it has them already). I wish it could have been built on a concrete slab, but the park does not allow that. So I was thinking it would be good to raise it up on bricks around the exterior wall, at least, so it is not sitting on the dirt.But how to go about that? The thing ways a near infinite amount, as far as I can tell (though it has no foundation below the dirt), and there is no way to slide something like a jack under one side unless I dug a hole under the side. So how to raise it? Or is it a bad idea?And is there something I can put for termites in the boards touching the dirt short of having it tented? The floor is plywood.

April 5, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Deborah Kay

You were refreshing, addictive and entertaining. I cannot wait for the next interview. Piers you have a great future ahead. You have a way of relaxing your guest and drawing out another side of them, in a great way. I cannot wait to watch more and more of your interviews and I have not been this excited about any show in a very long time. You are a breath of fresh air! Thank you.

January 18, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Tiffanie

Piers,

I am so happy to see you doing a show like this one.. I loved you on AGT. but this seems to suit you better. Good luck on your show and future endevors.

January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Akwara Uchenna kenzo

Opera is good, she's really good....

January 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Christine

I want to know if this interview will come back another time because I liked it, but I missed the first part. Thank you! :)

January 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Claudia

Hi Christine, I missed it, too! Any news, where we can watch the first tonight with Piers Morgan???

January 21, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ita

For Oprah to even acknowledge male tmvciis is a huge step in the right direction. But no, I didn't see it. Even so, I'm glad she did it, just as I was glad when Tyra Banks did an episode on male tmvciis of domestic violence and even had some of the female batterers on the show. She wasn't nice or sympathetic to the women who abused their men, either, which was a real surprise.

April 4, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Carol

I really thought this first interview was mediocre. It's hard to interview an interviewer.

January 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

Carol, I personally found her to be very open. For someone who has worked so hard for what she has and been through so much, I find her to just be an amazing woman. Your comments are posted with no grounds as to why you are posting. If you are going to leave a comment at least leave a supporting statement.

January 29, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Terald

It's a shame how The Grio, "the first video-centric news community site devoted to providing African Americans with stories and perspectives that appeal to them but are underrepresented in existing national news outlets", didn't even list Oprah amongst their 2011's top 25 most influential Black Leaders. She deserves noted recognition.

January 19, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Barb

Oprah was a great first guest. I think when a person is interviewed at the mid-end of their careers they are much more real. Great job!!

January 20, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  53. Anne Marie

Grateful that I have had a second chance to view this delightful, lovable, amazing, awesome, reverend, humbling, sometimes tearful/happy, tearful/sad, mindblowing segment. Makes me wish that this could have been a whole week of repeats of this your first CNN tonight segment. I can't imagine that anything no matter who you might interview could top such a captivating, riveting, interesting conversation. Thank you and good luck!

January 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. sybil ward

I dont get this show or the reason behind it... let alone the whole issue behind wanting to talk to M Vick

January 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

Jealous are we. Some people care. As a side note I love the show and find it engaging to listen to even on the radio!

January 29, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  55. Roger Sten

Please Piers Morgan, you have to slow down and listen to your visitors. You interrupt all the time, and don't give your visitot change to speak. Learn from Larry King !!! We want to listen to the visitor, not to you !!!

Roger

January 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  56. Cotten Kandi

One of Oprah's most personal interviews yet. Loved it.

January 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Berti

Hi Piers,
    I finally caught a rerun of your first show when you interviewed Oprah. I thought that you did a pretty good job but that you were far too deferential to her. While some folks consider her the the most powerful woman in the world, I think that she has started to believe some of the accolades afforded her. I used to love Oprah, but the things she said about showing people "the way," sounded like she was a self-appointed prophet.

Also her routine about the huge amount of taxes really offended me. She pays a lot in taxes because she makes a huge amount of money. I knew a man who was very wealthy, NOT Oprah wealthy, who said that he was happy that he paid high taxes because that meant he was making a lot of money.

I think that you should have called her on some of her arrogance.

Thanks for listening

January 26, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  58. Charles Marion

I am amazed each and every day how religious morons are so comfortable justifying stupid behavior to Satanic influence. In order to justify demonic/satanic possession, one must acknowledge the imperfection of the Creator. The thought that "God" would create something that is so incredibly flawed (humans and Satan) and then not have the slightest control over its behavior is absurd.
    “I created everything that is, but could you (catholics, jews, white supremest, moslems) fix (fill in the blank). Really?
    “I am the Alpha and the Omega, but I kinda drop the ball on (fill in the blank) so would you take care of that …” Really? Either you believe in “God” or you Believe in the church, you can’t do both.

February 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. Don

On your show with Donald Trump yesterday, the basic question is how do you define patriotism in america? do you have the self motivation to use domestically produced goods and services

being 70% made up of immigrants – has an ambiguous feeling about this

February 10, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  60. GBoyce

OPRAH 1 – PEIRS NILL , She got Vick to do the interview . That's $100 Big Ones to Oprah's Charity Peirs .

February 15, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  61. Name*Janey

Piers made a great comment. He likes unusual people like Susan Boyle ... I would like to see them together. I think they would be good together. Go for it Piers.

February 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  62. Damien

How to fix rotting Wooden Garden Shed?I have one of those pmdraee wooden Garden Sheds that people buy pre-constructed and move into their yard. Mine is the type that looks like a mini barn, with barn-style doors and gambrel roof. The side panels are made of partcleboard and they have begun to rot and disintegrate from the bottom (ground) up. The previous owners probably should've put the shed on something, but it sits right on the ground. If I can repair the shed, I will probably have a concrete foundation poured for it. I need to know if anyone's ever tried to repair / rebuild one of these sheds and how hard it is and whether it's worth it? New ones cost a few thousand dollars and I can't afford to replace, but since the frame and roof are in such good shape, I'd really like to repair before it gets worse. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this? Books? Website sources?Thanks for your help!This shed is not made of a frame that has siding over it. It is actually panels of 4 by 8 foot plywood that are inside the frame and outside trim. I am concerned as to whether the shed will collapse if I attempt to remove the plywood panels, since they seem like they are adding strength and stability to the structure. How would I take it apart down to the frame and keep it from collapsing / sagging? Thanks!

April 5, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  63. Gambling

I've learn some excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot attempt you put to make this kind of fantastic informative web site.

December 10, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse | Reply