Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Howard Stern almost retired last year
January 18th, 2011

Howard Stern almost retired last year

CNN.com has a story up about tonight's Howard Stern "Piers Morgan Tonight" interview. Here's part:

In an interview to air on tonight's "Piers Morgan Tonight," Stern says he knew he had been wildly successful, and said to himself, "Really, why am I doing this anymore? It makes me crazy. I hate getting up early in the morning, and I don't particularly like doing the show."

But, Stern tells Morgan, he is "driven by a neurotic compulsion" to do his show.

The full interview, including Stern's take on Jay Leno, his father and running for office, airs 9pmET/PT on CNN.

Post by:
Filed under: News
  1. Edie

I hope that Pierce tares Howard's arrogant butt to pieces! Go Pierce! show me what you got!

January 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chad

Tear Howard a new one? Are you kidding me? Howard is the most talented human being in history! People, you have to listen to Howard, not the damn media, to really appreciate what he does every single day! Not to mention the rest of the crew there. Gary, Robin, Fred.....the list is endless! Kudos Howard! Thanks for getting up so early in the morning for us! 😛

January 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

Edie,
      First of all, learn to spell (it's TEAR not TARE, and PIERS, not PIERCE). Secondly, and most importantly, Howard Stern is not arrogant. He is an icon that goes where other journalists fear. He is intelligent, a savvy businessman, and I don't go a day without listening to him.

January 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RenoDavid

Edie, you might try spelling it tears, not tares (!). And everyone - it's Piers, not Piece. Robbie, I do have to agree with you that Howard is the best interviewer in the world. He seems to have a natural curiosity about his subjects and is able to draw out the most intimate details. Of course, he's been doing it for more than 30 years, which doesn't hurt...

January 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • red26

Shows you have NO clue what Howard is on any level. I bet you have never listened to him on any level but condemned all the way. Sorry but Piers and most intelligent people LOVE Howard. Sorry to disappoint but I hope at least you listened and actually tried to see who Howard is for once. I wish people would actually educate themselves before making irrational, ignorant thoughts public.

January 18, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott Eberly

Hey Edie... how about you learn to spell the word 'tear' and then maybe you can string together a coherent thought.

January 19, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • gary

Piers doesn't have the experiene or wit to do anything but amuse Howard Stern. Piers would be wise to listen a little.

January 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Betty Bear

I watched Pierce Morgan interview O. W. last night and thought he was really great.
    I will be watching his show everynight.

January 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jonathan J Tibbs

I have never been in what you say ... 'A proper relationship' ... For some reason the longest relationship I was in lasted 3 months and the problem, I would say, was the financial differences ... I Am somewhat a proud person and would like to believe I can take care of myself and not be 'kept' by someone who has greater monetary means than I ... People use the phrase 'lucky in love', well, if this is true then I have never achieved such things ... Although, all the relationships I have ever been in, the person was more interested in my friends than myself... To be quite honest with you, some of my friends have been a bit loose, or this is my defense ... With that said, tomarrow is another day and the future is endless ...
    Jonathan J Tibbs

January 18, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Devaney

Why are you torturing us with this useless, boring information about yourself?

January 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Robbie Picard

Edie. Pierce will not tear Howard to pieces. Many journalists have tried including Bill O' Reilly, Tom Snyder, Larry King and a few other ones. Pierce will do a very good job of the interview,however he' s interviewing Howard Stern who is incredibly articulate and intelligent .Howard Stern himself is by far the best interviewer in the world. and is the hardest person to make look bad in an interview. The best thing that Pierce can do is have fun and let the interview take an natural course.

January 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Robbie Picard

Edie. Pierce will not tear Howard to pieces. Many journalists have tried including Bill O' Reilly, Tom Snyder, Larry King and a few other ones. Pierce will do a very good job of the interview,however he' s interviewing Howard Stern who is incredibly articulate and intelligent .Howard Stern himself is by far the best interviewer in the world. and is the hardest person to make look bad in an interview. !!!!The best thing that Pierce can do is have fun and let the interview take an natural course.

January 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. FiftyShotCop

I wish he was interviewing Howie's wife instead I think I would start out with the question,"what's it like making love to a skeleton?"

January 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. tom

Piers wont have the nerve to ask howard to take off his wig. Stern makes fun of everyones wigs but his own.TAKE OFF YOUR WIG YOU PHONEY.

January 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jonathan J Tibbs

I Am going to continue to write interesting facts such as these about myself, until you are established ... Personal facts about my life, who I was and how I came to be the person I am today ...

Jonathan J Tibbs

January 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Eric

Howard Stern is the best interviewer ever. As for your comment Eddie, I bet you never listen to Howard Stern. His show was the best when he was on "free radio" and it is the best on Sirius. He saved Satellite Radio. Peole think Howard Stern is this evil person. I love when people call him a racist when he is the exact opposite. When he leaves, there will be no one to fill his shoes.

January 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sherry Sandridge

Edie – why the hate for Howard? And why would an interviewer want to treat a guest on his show poorly? Howard doesn't do interviews often – so it's a big "get" for Piers on his new show. I'll bet it's a facinating interview.

January 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Eligant Elliot Often

I was shocked to see Howard do an interview. He usually avoids them like the avoids me. Must be part of the new contract that he has to do some promotion. Let's hope he puts a lot more effort back into his show and makes it enjoyable again. We need Jackie back in the Jackie chair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Griffin

I've never heard of Piers before last week. I am only watching the show tonight to see the King of All Media. Howard rules.

January 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Randy

You had a great first show. But then you stooped to Stern for a 2nd show. Unforgivable for you to have this piece of crap on. You lost 2/3 of your following with him.

January 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hugh Jorgan

Stern talked about faithfulness in marriage, earning approval from his father, and being committed to doing the best you can do. Those sound like reasonable ideas to me. I wonder if Randy knows anything about Stern. Randy should visit YouTube and listen to Beths interview where she talks about what kind of man Stern is. Might be insightful.

January 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. gustavo

I am really happy.

I can watch this program .

It is great.

January 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Karen Wagner

I LOVE PIERS,I LOVE PIERS, I ALWAYS HAVE FOR YEARS AND AM ENJOYING YOUR INTERVIEW OF HOWARD! I would love to meet you as I am your #1 fan, and after reading the comments of people who cannot even spell your name right, well, please invite me to the show!!!! You have been the best star on Celebrity Apprentice too!

January 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Marisol Wesson

While we like Pierce Morgan, from what we have seen from him, to launch this highly awaited Program with a guest like Howard Sterns has been a major disappointment. We were expecting much more from Pierce Morgan, but to bring this dirty showman as a key guest was a disaster, and to do so early in the show, is a major major turn off for viewers.... As soon as he started scratching his dirty hair, we turned CNN off.
    CNN has the power to bring true news worthy individuals to interview.. Use this power and do not kill the show with this type of interviews..You are competing with great programs at this time, so pls sharpen your selection of personalities. Hope this helps!

January 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. jimmie

need to darken the stage background colors, not seductive enough for evening tv

January 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Bobby Belltran

Edie, have you heard Stern before? Pierce doesn't have the tools to make Howard look bad, as you say. Howard will control the interview, and he will look like he wants to. Pierce has no chance, lol.

January 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Mary Acun

To sit down and listen to Morgan question Howard Sterns on his hair, what he puts on it, touch it.. What a disaster of an interview..With so many great subjects to talk about, I was expecting much more from Pierce Morgan, more depth in his interview.. .. Howard Sterns is trash.. Keep bringing this type of individuals and you are killing the show.. I am very disappointed..

January 18, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Dave Woodhead

Piers.. for crying out loud ..let Howard answer the questions!, stop cutting him off and going on to the next question. And if he returns the question at you .. you answer it.. Could of been a great interview. Love Howard or Hate him .. he doesn't pull any punches.. tells it the way he see's it and probably the way most people see it.. but he says it

January 18, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jeff A

Best Howard Stern interview ever !!!!!!!!!!

January 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Sergei

Piers really MUST stop interrupting those he interviews. He did this with Oprah and he did it with Howard. He needs to stop the rapid-fire questions, it's dizzying to listen to him interview Howard. And stop asking common questions like "How much are you worth?" Those are such boring, pedestrian questions. And lastly, do more research on the people your interview.

January 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. BUB

Love The STERN!!!!

January 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. anna kubicek

Piers – good job so far – too much interrupting of your guests and you are cutting them off in mid sentence.
    Let them talk.
    Don't try too hard to get the 'sensational' –
    this show will do great –

January 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jeff

Graet show! Never watched Larry. Great interview with Howard Stern! Will continue to watch!

January 18, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Mary Ann

Last nights interview with Oprah was truly respectful and friendly was a very fast 60 minutes...well done.
    Why and who chose Howard Stern to interview, a disgusting trash, who has been allowed to remain on tv after all
    the controversy....who does he know? We are not watching tonight. There are sooo many fabulous people to
    bring to this new beginning for high ratings CNN...make it happen!

January 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Sandy Mifflin

Really enjoyed your interview with Oprah, it was great, as for Howard Stern," Rubbish"Of all the interesting people to interview you pick him. Hope it is on to a better week. Still like you thou.

January 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Darlene

Loved your interview with Howard Stern. Your interaction was pleasant and fun to watch, not boring at all. I will watch your show again. Good interview!

January 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. K Blankenship

Although I respect Oprah's achievements, I for one don't understand the world's love affair with her. Her interview with Piers was self serving and she came across, in my opinion, as arrogant. On the other hand, I enjoyed the interview with Howard very much. At least he comes across as real and is honest about who he is and what he is about. Oprah, like everyone else who gets into the entertainment business, did it to get famous and make a good living. And what the heck is the "love brand...." Seriously?!

January 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Megan

Piers did a great job... However, he should rested his arms as Larry did and listened more. Although Larry was slightly annoying, he was a good listener. He let you think his show flowed spontaneously. I am sure Larry had more questions he wanted to ask, but during his show it felt like he let his gues be in control, he was cool and relaxed, letting things flow naturally. However, he was in charge. The Piers Morgan show right now feels like a one-on-one interview I would give someone interviewing for a job! I am not a big Larry fan, but I did feel like his guests just dropped in or stopped by = less formal. I do love Piers and will enjoy watching him grow!

January 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. red26

Please people, listen to Stern before you blow uneducated vomit in others ears. Howard is extremely intelligent and part of the media mainstream and a hell of a lot bigger than Piers. Yes, Piers knows that! As I said before, listen BEFORE you judge. People saying "all he does is curse on the radio" My even mom said that until I made her listen. She listened and went, "Wow, he tells other NOT to curse". That was before Sirius of course. Rent Private Parts and you will have a bit of Stern and just might "get it". At least then you can comment with some intelligence.

January 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. asfdsa

i am so happy piers morgan replaced larry king, i mean, he's someone who actually asks good questions and has good conversations. larry king literally didn't even do any research about his guests, as he once said. i don't understand how anybody can think larry king was a good interviewer. it got kind of weird because of how out of it he was occationally it seemed. hopefully piers morgan will continue to get high profile guests like larry king, and there will finally be a good interview show on TV.

btw i notice howard stern was kind of histile sometimes. i think that's because he wanted to replace larry king. if you listen to his radio show he talked about how good a interviewer he was and that he could be a good replacement. but idk howard stern is often hostile, but still funny and smart.

January 18, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Heinz

Piers' approach in his interview is to attack and be confrontational. Instead of focusing on the guest, Piers draws attention to himself by asking unstructured questions. I personally don't think Piers cares about his guest's answer because you can tell he is ready to ask his next random question. I think it will be more interesting if he spent more time elaborating on the guest's answers. We will find out in the next few weeks if Piers is the right man for the job. As for me, I am ready to switch to a new channel or start a new campaign to bring Larry back.

January 19, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Ian

I like Piers, he did a great job with Stern, but Howard is the best in the Business and its not even close.

January 19, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. lesley

i've got to try and catch this one again due to reception issues but what i caught was really impressive. gotta love when an interviewer is being interviewed. especially somebody with howard's personality. i was very much entertained. just very upset i couldn't catch the whole thing without untimely interruptions. remarkable job, piers. i think you've got what it takes. hope everything goes well.

January 19, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. PAUL

Great job Piers. Enjoyed the two nights with Oprah and Howard Stern. I think I am gonna be hooked. You are doing great ....good interview and questions...Can't wait to see your interview with Ricky Gervais end of the week.

January 19, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. larmcc

Awesome Howard interview! You need a week with Howard!

January 19, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Kelsey

I really like the way he interviews. Not just asking questions but having conversations. I think this show is going to be edgy, and that is what I want in news.

January 19, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. David

Good work Piers... you are off to a great start! I have never liked Howard Stern (at all) although you were able to reel him down to a conversation level and have him share some real thoughts. He is better in person than on the air, by far. Why all the self promotion, he does have a brain. I will be watching and listening your show for more, great job!

January 19, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Wild West

The King of Media called it right from the start. I give this show three months, TOPS, before it's cancelled. He's a fish out of water here, and his acerbic personality doesn't contribute to this type of forum. I never liked him on AGT either. Just another Cowell clone...

January 19, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Bet Eldred

Thoroughly enjoyed the first interview with Oprah; however, cannot say the same for the Howard Stern segment.

Look forward to Condoleezza Rice's interview..

January 19, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Diana

Howard I think you are FABULOUS! I have been following you since your channel 9 days and have seen you evolve from guy who needed so much attention to a kind and generous human being! Don't get me wrong, you are still one of the funniest guys out there, and I love all the antics of the show! I own my own biz that takes me on the road for 4 hours in the am and I cant wait to hear what is going on in your life! Bravo to a great interview with Piers! And Piers if you are reading this... you should watch and study this interview several times and learn from the master! You are going to need it! I love you Howard! Beth is a very, very lucky girl to have your love!

January 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Jonathan J Tibbs

Life isn't about living in a state of fear, such as condi Rice said... For a person to fear death threats, one would have to fear death... I was brought up to believe our life on this earth is very limited...

Genesis3:19 " for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return"

As in the same, for a person to fear death threats, they would have to fear death, which I do not... Around 69 billion to 110 billion is the estimate of persons who have lived on earth and they have all faced the same fate... The son of GOD, Jesus Christ also faced death, but through his example, death is defeated and is the beginning of a new extence... one that is forever...

One must have faith in GOD's plans, how long he chooses to keep his children on earth... In GOD's perfect will everything happens for a reason... In this, comfort is found and our fates are planned...

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me..." Palsm 23:4

Jonathan J Tibbs

January 19, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. MAK

It was cheap to have Howard Stern on the show.How can people even like this pervert? Maybe it is Piers Morgan's marketing ploy to gain publicity for his show.

January 20, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Jim

Can you guys get an app together like NBC Nightly News...I'd really like to be able to watch this show & the interviews whenever on my iphone or ipad. Thanks!

January 20, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Baba Booey

Baba Booey, Howard Stern, Baba Booey, Howard Stern. Fantastic way to start a new show. Best of luck to Pierce!

January 21, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. felipe luevanos

How such an uneducated person without a brain like Jesse Ventura can become governor?

April 10, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. dave

sterns a lowlife. I tried tom watch his show when it was on E got tired of him having retarded ppl in to make fun of and drug addicts to ridicule. he is smart and could have been a real broadcaster instead of a bully who insults anyone who doesnt kiss his ass. and yes I read his book -where he braggee abt being to the same woman for years. what a cliche –divorced and married to hottie 25 years younger. boring

March 27, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Grant

Do you have a spam issue on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have created some nice practices and we are looking to exchange strategies with others, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

September 19, 2014 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply