Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 18th, 2011

Oprah tells Piers why she'll never get married

"I'm not getting married," Oprah Winfrey told Piers Morgan last night on the premiere of "Piers Morgan Tonight"

"When you get the hankering for the cake and the wedding dress, throw yourself a party and get yourself a really nice gown," she said. But what about her lengthy relationship with Stedman?

There's nothing about it that's traditional," she says of her relationship with Stedman. She goes on to talk about how she makes dinner for her longtime boyfriend. However, "I want to make you a meal when I want to make you a meal. I don't want it to be my responsibility to make you a meal.

Coming soon – the rest of the clips from last night's premiere.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Lucille Privitera

Piers Morgan/Oprah – Two thumbs down.

January 18, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • gpw

I agree. Oprah is way past her prime and no longer relevant and Piers was never relevant. This interview is irritating ... two drama queens going about their business. If Oprah were white, she would have been kicked off air a decade ago.

January 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Wow

you are terribly insulting

June 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Martha

Dear Pears, You are just on time, a little different for American media.Opera can be the first contemporary Black queen.Even though the African Americans are SHY from acknowledging the beauty and symbol of Abyssinian's, I think queen Sheba is the only black queen travel all the way to Israel to King Solomon WISDOM.
    And one more make on the list Prime Minister Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia to get attention from one CONTINENT moving forward to emerging economy. He is quiet unique for the continent.

January 18, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. fobesq

Again, couldn't CNN find an American to replace King rather than this twit of a piers morgan???? To me, he is the most disgusting arrogant man and without any talent. Does the media think that we crave foreign accents? It seems so.

January 18, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mara

I really liked the interview with Oprah. I think Piers Morgan is a really good interviewer. Hope to see more interesting conversation come by.

January 19, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • CPH

In my opinion part of Larry King's appeal was his gruff, Boston accent. He was very easy on the ear. In comparison Piers just sounds utterly and irritatingly boring and it's not because he's British, it's just the way he is. Further, he has absolutely no charisma, he appears almost awkward at times and he has this disingenuous, smarmy demeanour about him. However, he does loathe Heather Mills and "that's gotta count for something"!

January 21, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barnabas Kateule Zambia

I want to believe that CNN being global has every reason to pick anyone from any corner of the world they consider meets their requirements, Larry King was great but we need new people new approach. I have no problem even if the person picked had Indian accent. Can we embrace other people's accent and background!

January 21, 2011 at 4:56 am | Report abuse | Reply

He Has Some Talent or Gift! or He Would Not Be On TV

He might have some flaws like most of us!, but to say he does not have ANY talent is overeaching!

His talent may even be minimal, but he does have SOME talent!

If I get to do an interview with Oprah! YOU CAN CALL ME NAMES TOO! It will be quite OK, because Oprah! in case you did not get the MEMO is a BILLIONAIRE with her own TV Network and some say HER OWN PRESIDENT! Obama!

January 23, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Rev. Dr.

STOP HATING! IT IS VERY OBVIOUS!

January 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rev. Dr.

NEVER HEAR OF PIERS MORGAN! unitl he did the Oprah Interview!

I think getting worldwide recognition is a pretty admiral feet! He seems boring, but he is sittling next to the most
      famous TV person of all time Oprah Winfrey, so OF COURSE he is going to look boring!

This proves that "you can" put a boring White man next to an Exciting Black Woman! If the woman is Oprah!

MORGAN apparently solidified his "enhanced his images an visability" Even I know who he is now, and I don't watch a lot of TV (apparently).

January 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Rev. Dr.

This "so called" talentless man, gets to interview the most famoust Black woman of all time! and he accomplished all that with "no talent". If he does not have talent he can always used what has worked in traditional "white man" in charge world! He can just use Nepostism! and that has worked for over 400 years! Howeverl; "ole massa" or the "newly famous" piers morgan! "Again, I NEVER HEARD OF HIM, UNTIL HE INTERVIEWED OPRAH!

I applaud Piers Morgam even though I NEVER HEARD OF HIM or PAID ANY ATTENTION as the case may be! But, AT LEAST! he does something with the FAVOR he was GIVEN!

Whats Your Excuse! Cry Babies!

Peace Out!

January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mags

Larry King was a brilliant host, but he's retired now and it's time to move on.
      Give Pears a chance – does it matter that he's British? Why compare him all the time with King?
      He's NOT Larry KIng, he's Morgan Piers ...someeone else!!

February 1, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Annie

It was a toss up btwn Morgan w/Oprah or Palin on Fox. I should've stuck with Palin. Morgan was so awe struck with Oprah, comparing her to Queen Elizabeth that it made my stomach turn. Morgan can't possibly replace Larry because Larry would ask questions and patiently wait for the answers or whatever his guest had to say. Morgan interferes so much and speaks over his own guest that I know Oprah had much more to say, if only Morgan let her. And to ask his own guest what she thought of his interviewing abilities, come on Morgan, was that really necessary? Morgan seemed to me that he's truly surprised he's been chosen to replace Larry...yeah right...not in a million years Morgan. Good luck, I don't plan on watching anymore of your so-called interviews.

January 18, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Edgar Flinck

Piers Morgan congratulations ! with Oprah good intervju but missed the global impact of her programs and what is the vision she currently is focused on re the future of the USA and her TV shows.

CNN would get better ratings and caputure the !5 – 35 age group if you have a schedule for 2011 for " Townhall meeting/discussions in all continents of the world.

CNN should be more easy to follow the display the day and time of your programs.

January 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Fran

January 18, 2011
    I watched the Larry King Live Show for the last 25 years ! It was fabulous and so sorry to see you go Larry ! You will be greatly missed ! We cancelled many outings over the years just to tune in and watch the ' Larry King Live ' or stayed up late to watch the show if we had missed it ! It will never be the same !
    I watched the interview last night with Piers Morgan and OPRAH and yes it was good, but to us, not great. Although, I have a concern as to why did CNN choose someone like Piers Morgan who is not American and has a British accent for a real ‘ American TV Show ’ ? Could CNN not find someone who has an American accent ? My husband and I could not make out or hear half of what Piers Morgan was saying. He mumbles and he does not articulate like someone should on TV ! He talks with his mouth closed. I can say that I never liked Piers Morgan as he is a very arrogant Man ! We had a hard time watching him last night and probably will not tune in again.
    Keep looking CNN for a real American flavour !
    Thank you !

January 18, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. M. Milord

What do you mean "Make Larry proud". Larry wishes he were that good.

January 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. cschrager

I really like Piers Morgan. But, I DO NOT LIKE his set, with flourescent lime green and blue. It makes me dizzy and I cannot focus on Piers or his guest. It is also very unflattering. A more traditional set would be much better! Lime green and turquoise are NOT Pier's colors!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shelley

I really liked the "set" used for Oprah and I thought it would be a pleasant change from interview type shows. Then I watched tonight and was disappointed with the sterile studio. Hopefully, it will just take some time to find your way.

The Oprah interview showed me you can do a great job, use that as your model.

January 20, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • susanne

I agree. Was the set designer colorblind or something?

January 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. WLawgosh

You go Piers !

January 19, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. LG

She could afford a maid and even a cook :)

January 19, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Serenity

Amen! I am with Oprah on this one! I am not the marrying kind either. I cannot see myself having the traditional, be-like-everyone-else relationship. Good job, Oprah!

January 19, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maggy

I'm married but not having a traditional, be-like-everyone-else relationship! And I'm lovin'it!

January 23, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rev. Dr.

You are MAD just because YOU DON'T have your own president, your own show, your own yaught, your own channel, your own money!, your own freedom!

Oprah is operating at a LEVEL that is ABOVE the "Entrepre-Broke-People" who criticise everything ABOVE "their" PAYGRADE!

Stop Hating, and Start Congratulating!

The Rev. Dr.

January 23, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rev. Dr.

Some People! are REALLY NOT LIKE OPRAH! somebody wants her!, he has just been "bought off" by the "green".

Other people IMAGINE that they are LIKE OPRAH! WANTED! but BOUGHT OFF!, OTHER PEOPLE! just imagine that they are LIKE OPRAH!, But the FACT IS .,....... NOBODY REALLY WANTS THEM ANYWAY!

You All KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

One Love!

JESUS!

January 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Isabella

I totally agree. But what about Stedman? He better not see this page...

March 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. MAK

How could you have someone like Howard Stern on a mainstream television show.

January 19, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. ltay

I'll give him a shot, but so far I'm just not impressed with Piers. He's just dull, flat. Sort of like trying to make Conan funny, right.
    Anyway I'll give him a chance..... I do know LKing and Piers is no LKing. cheers!

January 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Marion Maloney

Great to see the wonderful Piers .CNN you are very lucky to get him.We will miss him this side of the pond...............
    Wonderful opening night with Oprah !

January 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Sunny

I have to say Piers its doing an amazing work. To anybody who is not enjoying the show don't watch it period. He is not only very talented he is proving to the audience how amazing he is by interviewing big names on show biz an getting those people to relax and open up on his presence. His is charismatic and knows his way around to get the answers he wants. @fobesq its not about foreign accents its about talent. Don't be a hater!

January 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Janet Canada

Class Act, Piers! Other American shows, SUCKS!

January 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marjan Lugtigheid

How typically biased Canadian you are. Makes me ashamed to be a Canadian.

January 26, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. D Bran

He wouldn't shut up long enough tonight to let Ms. Rice answer the questions and just kept interupting her! Hope that gets better and was just a case of nerves.

January 19, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shelley

I agree! I felt Piers did a good job with Oprah but with Connie Rice, it was constant interruption. It REALLY got annoying!!! You have a brilliant and talented woman who agreed to do the interview and then she was treated horribly!! On top of that, she was belittled for being a professor at one of America's top universities.

January 20, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. BE

I also feel that Piers won't let the guests answer the questions. It seems to me like he has a number of questions that he wants to ask and then the race is on! Please take this as constructive criticism. I have watched all three shows and you were the same on the other ones. The audience really is interested in the answers believe it or not! I'll watch until the end of the week and hope that you take some good advice.

January 20, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Janet Dell

One of the weird thing about our society is that most pundits that talk about Oprah not wanting to get married seem to treat it as a good thing, her choice etc etc. BUT when a man says that he will "Never get married", they talk about his fear of commitment.

January 20, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Valentina

I love the show! Piers is smart, funny & engaging. I'll definitely continue to tune in. Also thanks CNN for posting recent videos to keep your viewers current.

January 20, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. eman

Piers was very nervous he laughed alot but his questions was very precise made up in an elegant & respectable way.The set needs rearrangement the movements of the camera is not giving us the viewers sense of comfort.The flowers were unnecessary they were too green &distracting. Lastly my deep regards for OPRAH she is a very good guest & of course a wonderful show host.

January 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Frank

Piers is BORING......I do not like his style.......and his interview with Howard Stern was PATHETIC.....

January 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Shawne

Regarding the insane Ricky Gervais issue, I don't understand what people thought it was going to be like and I would think that the script was seen by several show producers before they went on the air. If you hired Don Rickles or Joan Rivers you know what to expect, the same applies here, that's what he does. He was more entertaining than 99% of the self absored "stars". Loved the Hugh Hefner slam and he hit the nail on the head about The Tourist, terrible fim and acting, they should be refunding every dime people spent to see it. I wanted to see more of Ricky!!

January 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Barnabas

Piers is amazing and he gets the answers to the questions posed to the guests. The set used on Oprah was good and seeing the change for Condoleezza and Ricky put me off. Can Piers and CNN have a relaxed set.

January 21, 2011 at 4:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Bola

CNN has not done a good job picking someone close to Larry King..............This Piers show is damn boring, extremely boring and very unlike mi, I just cant sit for the whole hour to watch.

January 21, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Peter

Yes, Ms Rice was much much much better than Piers. I'm neither Republican nor religious person, and I'm totally against her policy during in Office with President Bush, but she performed pretty good compared with Piers...How he dares to such interruptions with Ms Rice. Shame on him!

January 21, 2011 at 6:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. FRED

SO FAR I WILL CONTINUE TO WATCH PIERS AS HE HAS MANNERS & LETS THE GUESTS TALK WITH OUT INTERRUPTING. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PIERS & LET YOUR GUESTS ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS. THEY SPEAK- YOU SPEAK... NICE... LIKE...!

January 21, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. LisaUK

In the UK we love Piers Morgan. I think a lot of Americans are trying to compare him to LK and he is a totally different person. British interviewers are totally different to Americans. Give him a chance! He's probably nervous as this is a big thing for him. I think he's doing a good job. I have been hooked on every interview, even the one with Howard Stern and I had no idea who he was!
    I loved the interview with Oprah, as she is one person I look up to in this world. My heroine. Great lady.
    Finally, if you dont like him, don't watch it and for some "stop knocking the British accent!". Keep up the good work Piers

January 23, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Shelby

I bet you I can name her 5 most trusted people: Gayle, Stedman, Maya Angelou, Quincy Jones, and Bob Greene. Now, Bob is sort of questionable but he was there at her most difficult time during the weight issues so I'll go with him. If not, I would say, John Travolta but I think I'm really close though. O has been my girl for decades!! :-)

January 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Redawleader

Oprah is a big fake!
    In the Piers Morgan interview, she states that "her lane" is the betterment of people everywhere...or some such drivel. She does a public endorsement of Obama, which Morgan rightly says probably affected the outcome of the election an then....Oprah says she can't give Obama a grade because she "hasn't paid attention". Really.....REALLY? How absolutely irresponsible can a person be. She leads millions of voters to support a potential leader of the free world and once she walks off the stage, can't be bothered to check up on the person she put her considerable weight behind? When Morgan hints that she had a responsibility she goes into her mock "Well, Ahm jest a little black lady from the po part of town" voice. Then Oprah goes onto accuse Morgan of being a tricky interviewer AND she tells him what questions he should ask her. Well...no surprise that a large does of self-centered and irresponsible would be followed up by a big dose of arrogance.

January 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Gloria

Not every one started by running, I believe one has to start by sitting,crawling,walking and then later run. Is it a formula that all interviews are to be done in the studio? Dont worry Pierce be inventive and remember we love your work.

January 24, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. evan mwangi

I saw the oprah interview and I thought it was great no one can replace and I agree with gloria it was the same for larry and oprah they had to start from somewhere

January 24, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Monica

Interviews have been good.Like your style.Good luck.

January 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. adol

in my opinion he is talent and his way in management s really good with the full respect to the giant Larry king he has a good appearance on the screen and why we can't be satisfy with one isn't american , i'm telling you don't compare him with Larry the will be unfair to him and to you also finally we must wait and see

January 25, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Diane Inserra

Finally a reason to watch "Larry King" and his name is Piers Morgan. Excellent job Piers.

January 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Larry

Good interview
    lose weight with Skinny Fiber. http://skinylarry.com

January 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Kevin Mickelson

I like Piers Morgan very much. I think Piers is funny and I think Piers has entertaining value too. Keep it up.

January 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. beautiful

shes rich so she doesnt need anyone!! DUH

January 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Elvis Mboya

I know Morgan Piers as American Got talent judge. I have admired his collected, sober, realistic yet piercing comments compared to his colleagues who get mesmerized when on screen. Little did I know that Piers will skyrocket to fill in CNN's Larry King shoes neatly. After his recent Oprah Winfrey's show, a rare spectacle that displayed his razor blade journalism interview, I was tempted to check his background.
    Yes, he is a British, but a journalist of repute, and the controversy in his résumé is even appetising recipe for his new job. Larry, an iconic TV host was traditionalist, aging, and his interviews more of a conversation over coffee. Piers is the opposite: fresh and young, aggressive, controversial and straight to the point host who doesn’t seek others approval to do his work.
    A good journalist – especially for hard-talk host doesn’t need charm to be on top of the game. Whatever his ethnicity/origin, the fact remains you cannot choose roots but you can choose your future. And, Piers is poised to go far, and push the boundaries new journalism to where it belongs.

January 27, 2011 at 5:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Maggie

Masterful interviewing tonight. How odd that you respectfully address Governor Romney and Mr. Blair, and they respond with "Piers." Was that pre-planned? Thank you for making the reporting about the subject matter and not about the interviewer. I have watched too many anchors this week beside themselves commenting about world events, because they are in the middle of it. They should be above all that. Thank heavens Piers Morgan is a grown up and can handle news the magnitude of what is going on in the MIddle East without getting out his flack jacket or shirt with epaulettes.

February 1, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. folake

piers is okey the show must go on

February 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. abok nyam

u critics can be loooseers. give the man a chance.

February 3, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Dave

Piers, your interviews have been pretty good so far, but, a bit of advice...let your guests speak more. Viewers tune in to hear what THEY have to say. I'm currently watching your interview with the four women and you keep talking over them. Please, let them speak. Speaking over them must ignore them and, again, viewers care much more about what they have to say.

February 6, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. zohra

i think question of money

May 20, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply