Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 19th, 2011

Clips From Last Night: Howard Stern on his father, politics and... Miley Cyrus

Last night's second episode of "Piers Morgan Tonight" featured a no-holds-barred interview with King of all Media Howard Stern.

In the above clip, Stern tells Piers Morgan how he was able to finally earn praise from his father. Below, find more clips from the premiere:

Howard Stern talks politics – running for office, and love for America.

Stern tells Piers about his musical tastes, which include Miley Cyrus, and getting older.

• Earlier: Howard Stern slams Jay Leno's viewers: "America must be filled with morons"

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Terry

I like your show. I like the interviewing style you possess, and I agree with Howard Stern that you need to be working on your three and four month guest lists. So, I would like to see an interview with Price William and his new bride. I would like to see an interview with Brett Favre, Lawrence Taylor, and my list goes on and on. Until last night, I really thought that Howard Stern was a goofball, but I have changed my mind. Howard Stern is a person I would like to get to know, so your future guests must continue to meet the high standards that the viewing public will demand. Keep up the good work, and as Oprah said, it is a learning curve, and you appear to be learning quickly.

January 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Piers

Dear Terry,

I'm so glad to hear you like my show. I was hoping a fan would provide a list of people I should interview in the near future. It's also good that you enjoyed getting to know Howard Stern. I will pass that along to him. Maybe he'll set up a lunch date where you two can hang out for awhile.

Thanks for the tip from Oprah. I am doing my best.

Cheers.

January 19, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Texasjoe

I'm pleasantly impressed by your show as well. Larry King Live was completely unwatchable at times with his hunched shoulders propping up his body on the desk, knowing that he had to be as bored of his many vapid guests as we were. You bring a different perception, make it seem more like a conversation one might have with the celebrities after a few too many glasses of wine. I'm hooked.

January 19, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • AnnMarie

I felt the same way about Howard Stern, he repulsed me, offended me, and then I seen his movie (I can't remember the name it's been so many years) but that movie really changed my view of who Howard Stern was, and I gained a lot of respect for him.

January 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Bill Paszek

AnnMarie, you are right on about Howard here as so many people, including my wife, have no clue what he's about. It's a preconceived notion & really just another level of ignorance by judging those without really trying to understand them. I know this is Piers' blog & thought he did about as well as he could w/the master that Howard is. I enjoyed it.

January 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Elyob

Does anybody really care what that degenerate freak thinks of Jay Leno, or anyone or anything else for that matter? Stern appeals to the lowest, most base aspects of our society. Calling anyone else's viewers 'morons' is laughable. He has no socially redeeming qualities and is frankly an affront to decency.

January 19, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott Rotten

Does anyone care what some loser troll like yourself has to say? NO!

January 22, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Sucely

Wow, what a blast from the past. Being an avid Andy fan (yes, I've even attended Mayberry Days in Andy Griffith's hotwmoen of Mount Airy, North Carolina) it's great to see Ron and Andy in those roles again. Wonder what it feels like to them, having played so many other roles in between. Thanks for linking that!

May 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Paszek

Elyob, what kind of a name is that? Very unique, that's for sure. You couldn't possibly be more wrong but this is a free country & you can still express your thoughts & opinions.

January 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Palekaiko

Piers Morgan...two for two. The man is stiff, with no personality and the worst interviewer on TV. Even Cooper Anderson is better!

January 19, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mr. Hinks

I agree with Howard, I watched Miley grow up and now, just turning 18, she's starting to take off her clothes.

January 19, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tiffany

BOOOOO!

January 19, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Nielsen

Did anyone else see Howard Stern's movie about himself? Why oh why would we care about this low-lifes opinion? I just do not understand (except that he has a following of less than intelligent fans). His fans are equivalent to Paris Hilton fans. It's so sad Howard.....

January 19, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dblank

Obviously a viewer that does not listen......Stern is beyond genius!.....He is a realist!....You can't handle the truth!

January 22, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill Paszek

Nielsen, you are an idiot & that is actually a compliment from a long time Howard Stern fan. You've probably never even listened to his show to make those accusations about the intelligence of his audience. He's had Piers on his show before & those two had some chemistry resulting in a great interview so Piers knew that if he could get Howard on one his first shows that it would not only attract a large viewership but that it would be a great challenge & ultimately, potential for a home run.

January 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jim

Geez Howard, speaking of morons, you like Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus ???? R u kidding ???

January 19, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jane

I hope Jay Leno will consider the source and consider Howard Stern's slams for what they are: jealous, insane rantings of a want-a-be rival.

January 19, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Adam

Howard is a masterful interviewer, so I enjoyed seeing him be the one interviewed for a change. Piers did a great job, even if I do feel he jumped around too much or rushed at times. I understand that, unlike Howard's radio format, Piers didn't have unlimited time to let answers develop. Overall, Howard made a great and interesting guest and Piers did a great job reining him in.

January 19, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. commenter One

Howard Stern being one of Americas morons. A wealthy one, but a moron after all. So full of himself and other stuff....

January 19, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jannie

GOOD WORK, PIERS! Keep it up cause I'll keep watching!

January 19, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Andy Cohn

Piers, you are incredibly boring and pompous. I watched last night because I'm a Stern fan, but it was almost unwatchable. You banned Madonna from your show? What a coincidence, I banned George Bush from my living room and I decided I'll never go to dinner with Fidel Castro. Great job with the letting Oprah interview herself also. Go back to judging circus acts and leave the interviews in Britain.

January 19, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jessa

I like the guests list. However I did not much enjoy Pier's interviewing style. He talks too much and tries to put words into the guest's mouth. He interrupted Howard a lot. I was waiting to see if there were any sentence Howard was easily able to complete.
    I am sure he will adjust this in the long run. He seems to be a very level headed and friendly man.

January 19, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. richard

Stern hosts a disgusting, unfunny program.....no wonder he doesn't like the success of Jay Leno. I cancelled my Sirius subscription with they signed a contract with Stern

January 19, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. jon

Believe me, Howard Stern is no goofball. He is very intelligent and he knows what is going on with many topics such as our screwy political system. He tells it like it is, and would actually make a good elected representative of some sort.
    But, I sure don't recommend going that route to anyone. Not with all the crazies already in Congress.

January 19, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Pam

Congrats Piers – love the show and will continue to watch you (never watched Larry King, sorry). I love that you don't seem to care what other people think of you – just keep getting great guests and getting them to open up! Can't wait for Thursdays show with Ricky Gervais! Invasion of the Brits – yay!! :) Keep up the good work Piers!

January 19, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hajrije

Thanks Howard. We're over 200,000 page views for blogs this month at CentreDaily.com and football blogs are lainedg the way. Among the success stories: Our news editor writes Monday Morning Quarterback; our football writer writes Nitt Notes; and a Penn State journalism student writes We Want the Lion, taking fans into the student section at games and on campus otherwise.To address a point: We're still operating on two blog platforms, preventing a totally shared community space. The editor's blog and others are on Typepad, while new blogs and forums are on Drupal. Only the editor's blog continues to manage comments; the others allow unrestricted comment postings.Thanks go to MI for letting us start Drupal so quickly, and we pounced on it to get up to today's count of 46 blogs and forums.We're now looking at launching blogs like The Runaround, written by three area running enthusiasts. That's the first of what we hope will be several sports/recreation community forums.– Bob Heisse

May 23, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Wendy

Wasn't sure how the show would go after how boring the interview with Oprah was on Monday night. But the interview with Howard Stern was great! Hope that it wasn't just Howard and that Piers had something to do with that. We'll see as the show moves forward. But certainly, it would help to have people on who have spirit and energy.

January 19, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. bcalb

Let me get this straight. A sleazeball DJ on satelite radio is called "King of all Media'? Give me a break. your standards are too low to measure. Seems like Morgan is doing what the so called "shock jock" is doing. Scandal sheet stuff.

January 19, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tony

First of all, Howard Stern is not a DJ. He is a very successful radio personality. So successful, in fact, that he went to a virtually new medium, and brought his listeners with him. He is without a doubt, much more successful than his "terrestrial" radio counterparts. While some people might be offended by SOME of the content on his show, most people would agree that he is of superior intelligence and has great insight if they actually LISTENED to his show once or twice. Most of his critics are from people that never listened to his show (especially on Sirius), and only heard what other media sources told them or the sound-bites they played.

January 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. GRS

"King of all Media"? Stern is a small-time player with a big income. No talent, other than being juvenile. And sorry Piers...you're no Larry King. Won't watch again.

January 19, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Carol

Howard Stern was great last night. He is down to earth and very honest. I miss him since moving to Sirus Radio. I agree, in order to survive on the air is getting the right guests to appear. I would like Piers Morgan to work on his british accent. British people seem to talk fast and I have a problem understanding them. His accent isn't that strong like others. Piers interrupted alot during the answers to Howard's question which a lot of interviewers do. Let them finish what you asked. I will keep watching as long as the guests are good. Larry King needed to retire. He was getting very boring.

January 19, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Elaine Smith

Hi Piers, your STYLE is CLASS PERSONIFIED. However don't reduce yourself for the likes of 'ratings' by having choices like Howard Sterns on your show. Your first interview with 'Oprah' was TERRIFIC! There are TOO MANY GREAT PEOPLE out there to be interviewed AND your kind of person is really a PLUS for the television industry. QUALITY is lacking on television & a healthy percentage of us the public don't want to lose your kind of high caliber person. Even Oprah herself stated recently how she wants to see more credible & meaningful television coming forth & which she will have on her network. PLEASE help all of us by keeping your persona as a mainstay. Bless You. Sincerely, Elaine Smith

January 19, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Lees

I agree with Terry. Last night was a great interview. Gave me a reason to start watching CNN again!

January 19, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Cheri

Loving the show! I am not a fan of CNN, but I am of this show! Pierce is a fantastic interviewer, I am hooked.

January 19, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Sue in Wisconsin

Doing GREAT. I set my DVR so I wouldn't miss a single one. Absolutely love listening to the English accent.
    Would like see Brett Favre for sure. Go Pack Go !

January 19, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. NIELSEN

Howard – U R A MORON from top to bottom Pierce: Oprah to Stern? Did you have a list and chose the #1 and #100,000,000 celebrity? The best and the worst in Hollywood in two sittings.

January 19, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Depeche

Well Done Peirs, I had NO idea who you were before I listened to the Stern interview, but it was really good TV for a change. Too bad Howard Stern is limited to just Satellite Radio, he is briliant.

January 19, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tereza

I was so excited to hear you on Howard this mnnoirg. I heard your music a couple years ago and loved it, but could never find it anywhere. After listening to your interview, I went directly to iTunes and downloaded your single. I look forward hearing a lot more! You are a very smart girl;I could tell by the way you handled yourself this mnnoirg!

March 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Chadwick

The show is fantastic. What is not fantastic is the set. 1987 called and wants their set back. It is so bad. The guest are hard to look at. I can't imagine that there were screen test done over and over and this flying. The colors are so obtrusive and un-inviting. With a show like this I feel like you would want a neutral somewhat relaxing environment. I am not saying you have to Barbara Walters the set but for gods sake. The Interviews are fascinating and all I see is green and blue.

January 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Tim

Fantastic interview. Piers should press Howard to be interviewed at least once a year. Howard's insights to the world are facinating. I really want to hear more about Howard's insight into Howard. Big fan!

January 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. JD

Great interview with Oprah. Very good questions and I really enjoyed your nice personality. The only impression I had of you was when you were in a debate with Omarosa. Very good job Pierce, keep up the good questions and thanks for being humble and allowing the guest to bloom. I will be watching......

January 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. David

Great shows so far but the drop off from Oprah, Stern, Rice to the Kardashians is very concerning. My new year's resolution is not click on any links or read any "news stories" or look at any pictures of the Kardashains, Lindsey, Paris etc so I will not be watching. If we all ignore these morons and not give them any publicity they will go away

January 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Sasha

I liked the show. I like you much better then Larry King, however... You have to learn not to interrupt people while they are talking, it's really rude. I noticed that with Oprah and Howard's interview as well. You have to let them finish. I know you want the control in your show, but it appears to me that you just get bored with the answer and you cut them short and move on the other thing... whereas me as viewer I want to hear what the guest has to say. Well, i guess that is something you can work on, however, I think show is great and I will watch it. I just think you need to get yourself a bit acclimated to American culture.

January 19, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. hermann tambeau

Dear Mr. Morgan, you are a very capable interviewer, I wish you the best of luck! However, whoever thinks that Howard Stern has something to offer, is a FLAKE BRAIN. The only thing that Mr. Stern seems to be qualified to talk about is his penis and naked women, he has contributed nothing to society with the exception of polluting the airwaves. I'm sure that the decent people of America will agree with me.
    HT Montreal

January 19, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. uisignorant

Is Stern even relevant any more?

January 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. CapturingThoughtz

Awsome interview.We are huge Howard Stern fans.The man is a genius like it or not."Think,focus and envision." capturingthoughtz.com @thoughtzcrew

January 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. clueless3

I never watched Larry King but I probably would watch Piers Morgan – if it was not opposite Sean Hannity.

January 19, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. laurie

It was heartening to hear Stern public nail Oprah for stealing Phil Donohue's show/concept, which is what she did. i have no idea why this woman is a billionaire.

January 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Danny

I think Oprah didn't even know his name. Kept calling him Pierce!

January 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Ralph Smith

Piers Morgan's new talk show is pretty bad so far–Piers is not only NOT the best interviewer ever (as he claims) but is one of the worst. He has nervous ticks and interrupts his guests too often, asking silly questions that show his desperation. He managed to make Howard Stern look boring! And almost everything from his first couple interviews has been covered elsewhere, so he isn't breaking new ground as his PR people claim. He's a pain to look at (his face looks like it's in agony), the set looks like it was created by a person with ADHD and you need more than one guest per hour to keep the show interesting. Also, the fact that it's taped keeps it from being as fresh as it should be. Pretty much another bomb for CNN.

January 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Donna Compton

Your presence as the replacement for Larry King is refreshing, sharp, and graceful. It has rounded out the edges, deepened the conversation, and brought that universal feeling that however flawed people are, you find the things that give people reason to celebrate this place called living. Awesome casting to have found you. Saw you for the first time via Susan Boyle youtube. I really liked your response. I don't watch TV, but if I did, I'd watch your show.

January 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donna

PS Fascinating glimpse into the thoughtfulness of Howard Stern. Yes, bring him back once a year.

January 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Tim Schmidt

Howard Stern is an arrogant elitist that simple reduces people to body parts. It's scary that so many people follow his lead.

January 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill Paszek

Tim, have you ever listened to his show? Granted, there are many who don't like him but I would bet that if they gave it a try, they might surprise themselves. Piers landed one of the most interesting people to interview & then did pretty well.

January 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. sharon

Who cares about what this old geyser has to say, he spews hot air most of the time and not only out of his you know what, please go away please retire already.

January 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. piers is cool

I think Piers would be really great at doing something other than interviewing people. I wish CNN would take him off the air. Not that I would ever watch anything on CNN. I dont see what people like in Piers. What rock in England did he crawl out from underneath? Keep this rubbish in Euope.

January 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Craig

Howard sounds exactly like Alan Alda ! Piers like to interrupt a lot...but still interesting

January 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Andrea

what an interview! I looks forward to more! Interviewing Howard Stern can either make or break you as a journalist. It was a remarkable interview. Well done and thank you!

January 19, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Suzy

Great to have someone who wasn't formed within American culture do the interviewing. Makes for truly interesting conversation and perspective. Like a seasoned professional, Piers seems to know when to listen, while keeping control of the interview by the nature and timing of his questions. Looking forward to his interview with Ricky Gervais! Good luck Mr. Morgan, looking forward to future programs!

January 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Donovan

NOT IMPRESSED!. Howard Stern is a great interview, he's entertaining, honest and offers a down to earth prospective on the issues of the day. Howard does not do intereveiws often, so when he does, they are always entertaining, regardless if you are a HS Fan. Not with Piers. Often through out the interview, Piers would not let Howard finish his thoughts, he would cut him off mid sentence and ask about something completely different. As a result there was no flow to any of the questions, Piers was bouncing around all over the place. It was brutal to watch. All I could say, I hope he does a better job with Condi.

January 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Huge Howard Fan

No tough questions for people who know Howard. What about Artie? How did Howard feel about going through Artie's unraveling?

January 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill Paszek

Great point HHF as he could have been more compelling w/the deeper questions. I think Piers knew he was in the ring w/a heavyweight & just tried feeling him out. I saw Bill O'Reilly try to get tough w/Howard in their interview & he easily handled the onslaught making him look like an ass & I'm an O'Reilly fan as well.

January 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Guntown Johnny

If you want to witness a great interviewer, check out Howard Stern, truly. While he always steps over the line at some point (purposefully), the guy is an engaging interviewer and develops great rapport with his guests. I enjoyed him speaking with Ron Howard last week.

January 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Evie

I think Piers Morgan should not wear a suit and never say "you American's" .

January 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Janet

Fantastic Show! Very Professional, Courteous, and Civil Conversations! One can actually feel the Higher Ground of Stability between two Human Beings! Congratulations, on giving viewers a pleasant viewing alternative!

January 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Kristi

I despise Howard Stern and almost didn't watch. I have to say this interview surprised me. Howard was a great interview. I think he should show the world more of himself and not just silly soundbites from his radio show. Piers is two for two. Loved the Oprah interview!!

January 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. rachelgibson

It's really hard to take anything howard stern says seriously after the damage he has done to women in society in the name of freedom and fun. Maybe one of the only people i don't like.

January 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  53. Larry wolfson

great interview! Piers is excellent at bringing out some of the not "known" stories. Stern was terrific.

January 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. Monicad

I am disappointed in both interviews. Piers looked and sounded like a school boy looking for compliments from Oprah and she in fact controlled the interview. I watched 10 minutes of the Howard Stern interview and was less than impressed with Piers' style. So much for all the hype that this was going to be "dangerous"!

Tuned out.

January 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  55. mark

i never heard of this Piers and tuned in only to see Howard who i think is great. however, i find this Piers to be so arrogant and annoying i couldnt even get through the whole interview. Bring Larry back and send this fool back to whatever reality show he is from.

January 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  56. Wanda Cook

I saw the interview with Opah, I really enjoyed it. I am sorry I missed the Howard Stearn interview. I am also going to set the DVR so I don't miss anymore episodes. I think Pierce is a refreshing interviewer.

January 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Sedona

so far 2 shows done very well, but please.. stop asking how you did. First show ok.. second.. please.. i can relax and watch an interview if the interviewer is in control and confident. You're doing fine :) relax and have fun. If you do, we do.

January 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  58. james

Poor editing.
    Appeared that Piers would not allow Howard to finish a single sentence.
    Only watched for Howard, and would definately never watch again.

January 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. newlum

this show was good because of Howard, and not because of Pierce, who?
    Now all America can see who is the greatest King of All Media, and why, and please stop all nonsense about Howard. He can do interview better than anyone in show business, you just need to listen him on Sirius.

January 19, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  60. Tom

Spare us the narcissistic nonsense from interviews like Oprah. What a crock. You have to learn to shut that stuff down. The Oprah interview wasn’t good. I couldn’t listen to her carry on and tell you what question to ask her so she could pine away about her greatness.

January 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  61. Louise Mitchell

Like the show. Don't think I missed Howard's response to your question about President Obama (you teased the audience about Stern's opinions on political matters including Obama right before going to commercial break). Listened carefully when he spoke about his admiration of the Clintons. Did I doze off or did you and your producer edit his comments on our president and his policies? If his comments were edited, I had hoped for more from your show and would prefer a "Live" version as was the case of your predecessor. We deserve more from CNN and I would hope Howard would agree to having his opinions out there!

January 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  62. DonnaG

Just love Piers he is so good at interviewing. It's nice that he lets his guests finish their thoughts before interrupting with the next question. Good Luck Piers with your new show...it's a success already!

January 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  63. Margaret Deighan

I am not a Howard Stern fan so I was not going to watch the show last night . Glad I changed my mind and watched it.... and have changed my mind on Stern as well. Fantastic!

Margaret
    Hespeler, Canada

January 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charles Allen

That is great. It seems that when people actually take the time and listen, without predetermining their take on Howard, they usually end up becoming a fan. He is far more than the shock jock he's typically referred to as. One of the best entertainers of all time, and incredibly interesting.

January 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  64. Gena

Was very impressed with the Oprah interview. Very disappointed with a Howard Stern interview. I had to turn it off. Please give us a better guest than this.

January 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  65. steve

I totally agree with Howard's comment regarding Jay Leno. I don't get it! Jay that is!!

January 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  66. Stu The WIne Guru

Hi Piers: First off , "Welcome" . From one great interviewer to another, you really "knocked it out of the park" as we say here in the states. Both your Oprah and Howard interviews were very engaging and provacative. I understand what it is like to interview top people in their field as I do it live every Wednesday night on my global radio show "Wine Talk with Stu The Wine Guru". http://www.stuthewineguru.com. I'd love to interview you on my show. Keep up the great work , you are irreverant and relevant to our cultural pop needs. I will definitely be watching. Be well -Stu

January 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  67. Millie

Congratulations on your new show. Please listen!! but really listen to your guest. I watched Oprah and Howard last night and was disappointed with the amount of times that you interrupted them in the middle of a sentence (not for a commercial break) or talked at the same time as your guest. I was eagerly waiting to hear what Oprah or Howard was about to say next, when bang! Their thoughts would have to go somewhere else. Just remember the show is about them.

January 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Delyse

Yes, Millie, I'm from down under and I've watched both shows. In each, Piers would ask a question, but as soon as we started to listen to the reply, Pier would counter with another entirely off-topic question. It became irritating after a while. We are really wanting to listen to the person you're interviewing, Piers, not you! You have a long way to go before you inch towards Larry King with his totally relaxed but always interesting style. However, having said that, I'm willing to keep watching to see if you can improve your interviewing skills. The key word is LISTEN and BE INTERESTED and then RELAX!

January 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  68. Joe

I don't think the show will last long. I don’t want to listen to a pompous English Journalist on an American TV show speaking to our Entertainers. He threw Softballs to Oprah and tried to stir it up with Stern but he put him in his place. He tried to compare himself to Howard Stern. Please! He backed down when Stern came at him. That is nothing new with the English. Didn’t we run them out of our country a couple of years ago? He won’t last because he can’t have Stern on every night and really who is he? I have never heard of him until that talent show. I give him 6 months.

January 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  69. Paul B

Piers Keep up the good work I am impressed based on your interview with Howard Stern last night. You have a knack for asking the questions I would want to ask, and you didn't allow Howard to bully you although he did try. What a character he is ! And yes if I were worth 500 million like Howard I would not be getting out of bed at 4 am for sure ! Best wishes moving forward Piers

PS: maybe one of your future shows could feature the actors on Coronation Street which is a huge hit here in Canada and the UK

January 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  70. Denise

I find it a bit annoying that Piers has asked both his guests so far how he's doing as host. Hope he won't be doing that with every guest for the foreseeable future.

January 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  71. Not a Fan

Howard Stern is a mysoginistic (sp?) dirtbag who has exploited and defamed women for decades now. I hope no one ever treats his daughters the way he has treated countless women on his "programs". His views on anything in this world couldn't matter less to me. Shame on Piers Morgan for doing the wrong thing and just going for ratings with this waste-of-life as a guest. But I am not surprised, as CNN gave another mysoginistic pig his OWN SHOW- Elliot Spitzer should be in jail- instead, he's getting a big fat paycheck from CNN. Disgusting. And don't give me the old "if you don't like it don't watch it" flim-flam- it shouldn't be allowed! It's just wrong. It's all a bunch of nonsense. Piers Morgan should be interviewing teachers and vets returning from combat, people who are struggling to put food on their tables while unemployed in this country, He should be talking to people who actually DO things for other people, everyday- REAL people, not Oprah (God bless her). Piers Morgan- another money hungry puppet. Dammit.

January 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tony

That is why you are not running a television show. Guess what? No one would watch your show, that's why you are not running one. People like to see interviews of interesting people. Funny, huh? You watched it!

January 22, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  72. guest

Please. The difference between LKL and Pierce is that Larry actually listened to the guest and was less of a show boat. The interview with Oprah seemed more about Pierce and his scripted questions He really blew it when his last question to Oprah was " how to you I think I did?". I will chalk this up to first night jitters but, no matter who his guests are will not make up for poor style.

January 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  73. Frank Stowers

Your opening night with Oprah was outstanding. You wasted your time and mine Tuesday night. Stern is crude and vulgar, and he certainly coantributed nothing to the advancement of your show. Please, no more interviews like that one.

January 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • guest

I totally agree with you. The questions were very shallow and Larry King is the KING!!! It is sad when someone has to keep asking "how am I doing?" and trying to up-one on the interviewee. Last night was a BIG disappointment. Piers does seem to be a little too stuck on himself.

January 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Gerry the K.!

How about some live interviews to see how you can handle that. Good voice, not mono american..or hillbilly or bronx.

January 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  74. B. Smith

I think you are a great interviewer, Piers, but PLEASE don't lower yourself again to get down on Howard Stern's level, talking about the size of one's penis, etc. Isn't that rather high schoolish?

January 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  75. dude

I love Piers. Cant wait to watch him every night on CNN. I also love comments awaiting moderation

January 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  76. piers lover

Why doesnt CNN allow me to post negative things about Piers. I know he likes arguing with people on twitter. He is the worst. Go back to the hole in Europe you came from. I would rather watch re-runs of how paint dries.

January 19, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donovan

Yes, I posted unfavorable feedback on the Stern interview. Piers was repeatedly interrupting Howard. It was uncomfortable to watch. Needless to say, CNN did not post my negative feedback.

January 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Piers Fan

Piers is a talented interviewer and has clearly done his home work. However he shoots himself in the foot and misses some of the more subtle aspects of what his guests are about, because he is so distracted by his own image in the mirror. I hope he grows out of this and becomes more curious about his guests than about his own image. This is something that made Larry King an ingenious discussant, his curiosity about the other helped him get his focus off himself and thus much deeper into investigating the other. Piers is not there yet. It would be nice to see him get there. It would keep me interested. Otherwise, I will become tired of listening to Piers talk about the same guest interview after interview (Himself).

January 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rose

"Ditto" I gave constructive but negative feedback on Piers and it was not posted. So far he is doing a poor job of the interviews. He gushed over Oprah all night, kept telling the audience he was the best interviewer in the world with Howard and engaged in gutter type discussions with him and then kept interrupting Dr. Rice. She did a great job in handling him and is formidable!
        My time watching him is limited if this is what it is going to be like.

January 20, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  77. Gerry the K.

Sure make the american interviewers look sick...great show and voice!!!

January 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  78. BABABOOEY

BA BA BOOEY

January 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  79. harold

Howard Stern – a real freedom fighter and champion of free speech. You could have spent your miserabe life giving us insight into the reality of mass media – exposing b.s. in politics and society and individuals and you could have been enteertaining at the same time. Instead you gave us farting lesbians. Thanks Howard. Thanks for teaching us all the value of free speech. Thanks for being a real force for change. You say America must be full of morons? That would certainly account for your success wouldn't it.

January 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  80. harold

Howard Stern – a real freedom fighter and champion of free speech. You could have spent your miserabe life giving us insight into the reality of mass media – exposing b.s. in politics and society and individuals and you could have been entertaining at the same time. Instead you gave us farting lesbians. Thanks Howard. Thanks for teaching us all the value of free speech. Thanks for being a real force for change. You say America must be full of morons? That would certainly account for your success wouldn't it.

January 19, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • A Nanny Mouse

Regarding the "farting lesbian" nonsense, you clearly don't listen. That sort of nonsense is extremely rare, maybe once a year. It was a bit more frequent on terrestrial radio because it made those trying to control him apoplectic. On satellite, he is free to say and do a lot more and, consequently, doesn't feel the need to constantly give the finger to authority. Ultimately, Stern is an ENTERTAINER, and a damn good one. So lighten up. You want a noble crusader for truth, justice and the America way? Go join the ACLU.

January 20, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Hector

We have 14 live blogs, with another 4-5 in the works.As might be ectexped, the traffic and audience engagement is varied. The most popular generate upwards of 100,000 pageviews per week. Others attract less than 10 percent of that.As might be ectexped, sports and politics are our big winners, too. But we've had real success with some others, too, including gardening and local music. The key, of course, is less the content than the audience and the blog's tone. While politics will always work, the Big Question blog has succeeded not just because of the topic, but also because Eric Black has managed to tap into a particular audience of people interested in discussing the political landscape in Minnesota. And while that discussion has sometimes veered into the swamp of pure partisanship, Eric's tone and approach has kept the blog on an even keel.We have already retired 3 blogs, and will continue to weed out the ones which aren't attracting a real audience, or which have grown stale.At this point, we face two big challenges around blogging: Adequately managing the interest among reporters and editors in launching new blogs and integrating our blogs with the larger site.We have drafted a Blog Backgrounder, and we give it to every member of the staff who expresses and interest in blogging. It outlines our goals and asks them to answer several key questions, including what audience they are hoping to reach. So far, that process has been successful. But we need to do more to educate the entire staff. In particular, we need to help our print colleagues understand when a blog is not the best solution.Finally, our blogs are operating on a WordPress platform, and are not integrated into the publishing system. We have managed to use the RSS feeds generated by the blogs to work around that lack of integration, and we have utilized the 'link-to url' capability recently added to the publishing system. But the lack of integration is still apparent. We simply need to do a much better job promoting our blogs.

May 22, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jessa

Piers did not give a chance to Howard to complete any of his sentence. This was really annoying.

January 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pat

I agree! If you know Howard, just let him do his thing...He's an amazing interview....but Piers kept interrupting....Really ruined the whole thing for me!

January 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  82. W Davis

Congrats on having Howard as a guest. As much as he hates to do other shows, that was a big deal. I feel he took over the interview in a couple of spots, but thats Howard. I saw though as the interview progressed not only did he give you control back, but was about the most open about topics in an interview i'd ever seen him. Treat him fair and don't talk about him like a pejorative and you should have him as a guest regularly. Piers please don't burn that bridge. Cheers

January 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  83. Piersfan

Loved the Howard Stern interview. I only wish for one more hour with Stern. I've been listening to Stern for many years and have followed him to satellite. I hope you continue to push American's buttons with your guests – can do without Condi Rice – puhleeez. Don't give into corporate pressure to soften up – keep asking the questions because intelligent Americans want to know the answers! And Stern fans already knew the size of Howard's pepperschnopps.

I'm spent

January 19, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  84. anon

Howard's a genius. I don't think Piers' show will last if he's just interviewing celebrities, who cares about them, I think he has to mainly interview political figures and people making an impact on the world, but Howard Stern is the big exception. You just put a camera or microphone in front of him and let him go, and he's just the most interesting,funny, honest, refreshing broadcaster in history. Sure, he can be a bit cynical at times, but he's the best form of entertainment I've ever found. He's also pretty much always right, so if he doesn't think Piers' show has legs, then it doesn't have legs. Sorry Piers.

January 19, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  85. Andrew

calm down and have conversation... the questions were good but didn't flow...let it flow by listening to the interviewee...we want u to succeed.

January 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  86. Han

i want u to succeed! wish u the best...how can u ask a question and not answer it yourself...it would be more fun if u do...read these opinions...many people want u to succeed....

and from me, not my friend....be urself...find who u r and b urself...make it respectable...not another hollywood cheezy HLN sort of show...it's low level unrespected journalism...this country needs to find something different other the "trash" floating on tv so much out there....be differrent...bring a cleaner more respectable european quality high standard show...be firm, like Simon Cowell and u will succeed...remember this suggestion when u do :)

January 19, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  87. maurice

There is nothing more vain that one talk show pundit interviewing another. A lot of people love it – that scares me.

January 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  88. Suzanne

Piers, after watching your first three shows I can at least say you are consistent. Consistent in interrupting your guests. Please pay heed to your viewers and zip it. Larry's time had come, however his interviewing style and skill was far more appealing. And what is up with the ridiculous questions...what is your penis size? Are you serious?

January 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rose

I agree. I began watching Piers Morgan with excitement and am saddened by his ridiculous questions and fierce interruptions.
      Is this a British thing? Stop doing this Piers it is annoying and not very becoming of you.

January 20, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  89. Marcia

To paraphrase Larry King, he said he became a better interviewer when he stopped talking and learned how to LISTEN. If you're going to ask a question, give your guest a chance to answer, for God's sake. You're cutting them off before they get two words out of their mouths, so why are you even bothering with the questions? You're clearly not interested in the answers. I was watching the interview with Condaleeza Rice just now and couldn't stand the incessant interruptions of her responses anymore, so I shut it off. If you don't want to hear what your guests have to say, why are they even invited in the first place? Here's a site you might find enlightening– and please pay special attention to Number 7: http://www.simplenomics.com/27-secrets-to-interviewing-like-larry-king-part-one/ Without showing more respect for your guests, I fear you'll be tuned out for good. Certainly by me.

January 20, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  90. AB

Can anyone tell me how free America really is when you can not say what you really think? Just read the posts here, CNN did not post the negative ones. Is that freedom? Howard Stern is just obnoxious. Oprah is superb "love brand".

January 20, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  91. Rose

Why exactly is Madonna banned? Is this childish and do you think she or anyone else cares?
    Really Piers!

January 20, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  92. Joanna

Great interviews – Oprah and Howard. Like Oprah said, "You're really good." Loved both shows. One complaint: Loved the set used for Oprah interview...close, comfy. HATED the "new" set used with Howard Stern. Aquarium-like...sort of hallucinogenic...made me woozey. God...who picked it? How could anyone relax sitting at that table in that atmosphere? Yuk.

January 20, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  93. Jimmy

Howard,
    Thank you for shutting this "frisky Brit," up. You responded well to his jeepers and attacked him right back with your own jeepers, and indeed he had to admit, "Howard, I am interviewing you." Piers, you have taken all civility out of your show, and have shown the true Brit color. This is not what American are used to and I am feared that shows like yours will certainly increase mean behaviors .

January 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  94. Jeff Peno

If you listen to ANY talk radio at all, more than likely the people you listen to have been influenced by Howard Stern. The man changed the whole dynamic of radio. He is also not as nasty as people think. Listen to his show for a week and I'll bet you will wind up listening even longer.

January 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  95. pat

Howard Stern is THE man! He's absolutely brilliant! Piers, you didn't do your homework! The brilliancy of Howard is just to let him talk....stop interrupting him...just let him do his thing! This is his field, his job! He's the master of interviews and interviewing....Just leave him be and don't interrupt...

January 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  96. Kate

I am a mother of two and am a college grad. I adore Howard Stern. He is funny, smart and caring. When I hear people bad mouth him I can't help but think they don't listen to his show or they'd think differently.

January 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  97. Laura LaRue

Bonjour Piers,
    Congratulations on your new show and on a riveting interview with Howard Stern. I enjoyed it so very much. Howard has a powerful presence and I thought you matched his energy atom for atom! I would love to see you continue your magic streak with formidable guests like Joan Rivers, Perez Hilton, Yoko Ono, Keith Obermann, Margaret Cho & Robin Quivers. Outspoken celebrities are my favorites. Cheers! XO

January 22, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  98. Chang Mcward

Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Great choice of colors!

February 2, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  99. dk

ppl u should interview (dead serious): 1. pat buchanan 2. steve sailer 3. richard spencer 4. peter brimelow 5. nicky oppenheimer 6. peter hitchens 7. david frum 8. jaron lanier 9. wes anderson 10. john cale (but thats if u don't want to just do "fun" interviews with celebs). I think you may not have any idea who they are wanna open your eyes.

February 19, 2012 at 5:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  100. start losing weight today

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

May 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  101. real authentic jordan

Nice post, just found your blog on my travels around the Internet. Definitely will come back.real authentic jordan

June 2, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  102. web design

Thank you for another informative website. The place else could I get that kind of information written in such a perfect approach? I've a challenge that I'm simply now operating on, and I've been on the look out for such info.

October 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply