Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 20th, 2011

Clips From Last Night: Condi Rice talks politics, parents and the War on Terror

Last night's third episode of "Piers Morgan Tonight" featured a wide-ranging interview with former Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice.

In the above clip, Rice talks about the War on Terror and whether she has any regrets over some of the tactics used. Below, find more clips from the premiere:

Condoleezza Rice describes her parents' politics – and growing up in the South:

Condoleezza Rice says heated political rhetoric should be toned down, but is nothing new:

Did Condi Rice ever get intoxicated when she worked at the White House?

• Earlier: Condi Rice on marriage: "I've come close" but "you don't get married in the abstract."

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Jayden,FL

Great Interview Dr. Rice... Now see if you can get George W Bush on the show and don't hold back! that would be entertaining and interesting TV

January 20, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. dorit alder

This Pierce Morgan, comes across as a smart Alec with his smirks and interrupting his guest, also with his banning comments, like on people like Madona and others, who the heck he thinks he is? He never will fill Larry's shoes. I predict he will not last too long n Cnn. As Iam an Cnn watcher and so many people come and go. Cnn get rid of this guy fast, not anybody I talked too had anything pleasant to say about this enlish fare of a man.

January 20, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Long time Viewer of Larry King LIve

I agree with you Dorit. My husband and I both feel Piers is arrogant and constantly interrupts his guest. I will probably not be watching this program as faithfully as I did when Larry King was doing the interviewing. Larry gave the sense of a real connection with most of his guests. I do not get that sense with Piers.

January 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. dorit alder

This Pierce Morgan, comes across as a smart Alec with his smirks and interrupting his guest, also with his banning comments, like on people like Madona and others, who the heck he thinks he is? He never will fill Larry's shoes. I predict he will not last too long on Cnn. As Iam an avid Cnn watcher and saw many people come and go. Cnn get rid of this guy fast, not anybody I talked too had anything pleasant to say about this joker

January 20, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Nanook of Norway

Piers Morgan is brilliant! He is intelligent, well-informed, sophisticated. He brings class to CNN. We are hoping he will have a long, long tenure with CNN.

January 20, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paterika

I second that. However where his navel-string is buried may be the problem if it swims in the xenophobic sea . I like his show and shall be watching all of them from Bimshire.

January 20, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • neets

what is wrong with you? look up any video from piers and look at all the comments below. any video, nanook. you are part of the 5% that like this guy.

April 11, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ft.Dodge

Piers Morgan should show some courtesy and quit interupting guests. He should watch his Condi Rice interview and check how many times he interrupts. Piers appears to just want to talk and not listen. A good interviewer is a good listener. That's why Larry King lasted as long as he did. If Piers Morgan wants to survive, he needs to learn when to talk and when to shut up.

January 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

Very well stated!

January 20, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Neal

I agree totally . . .

January 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kamchaska

Absolutely true.

January 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin

Larry lasted long yes but his ratings was in the tank and he was dead last for years.. Larry was also boring.. Mr. Morgan on the other hand is not.. oh and he will survive because he's not boring and people are watching the show something Mr King couldn't accomplish.
      PS- if you don't like the show change the channel.

January 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Paterika

Well said.

January 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • neets

i can't stand piers. like i told nanook of norway, look up any video of piers' and you'll see you are part of the 5% that do like him. I watch the show because of the guests. he is disrespectful. I bet you are like the ppl that believe osama had something to do with 911 and that he is really hiding.

April 11, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • GBoyce

I totally agree his producers need to take note and Coach him a bit.

February 15, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. eric young

Condoleeza Ricet was the most softball interview in human
    History. The questions he could and should have asked her…. Jeez

Larry King was lame enough. And Now this pratt…

January 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jill

So far, Piers has hit 3 out of 3 'out of the park'! I love that he has actually researched his guests and has informed comments and questions. I came away from each of the first 3 interviews feeling that I had learned something and it was an hour well spent. Glad that there's room for differing opinions here, because unlike others, I will not miss Larry at all, even though I wish him well as a person.

January 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. bill roach

Piers asked many of the questions I would have wanted to ask Condi Rice over Iraq/WMD. Her responses were predictable and not enlightening. I expected Piers to be more aggressive in his follow up questions. Condi Rice is a very impressive individual. I go to the same church she attends. I think she has been less than forthright about her role in making the case for the Iraqi war. Her "fingerprints" are all over this debacle and yet she has been "under the radar" to a large extent over accountability.Piers is first rate.

January 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Susan

I am tuning in to your program because I am interested in learning about your GUESTS. PLEASE stop interrupting them before they have a chance to completely answer your questions. It's VERY frustrating. I would really like to hear what they have to say FAR MORE than what YOU have to say.! PLEASE STOP!!! Thank you.

January 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Rick

Your promo for tonight's program states: "Following his controversial hosting performance at the Golden Globes, the comedian tells all." Please let Ricky "TELL ALL" without being interrupted. That would be nice.

January 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. lawrence lankford

Please send this FOP back to wherever he came from, he makes me want to puke. And send Gervais back with him. It wouldn't break my heart if I never saw either one of their faces on TV again!!!

January 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Neal

All Condi wanted to do is talk and answer the questions that were asked of her and all the interviewer did was interrupt her and hinder her attempts to finish the answers. I think Piers must have a bit of ADHD as he jumped from subject to subject without reasonable transition and with no regard for what Condi was saying; as if he was not even listening to her. Very frustrating . . .

January 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

AGREE!! If you read the various comments, from this blog and others on the site about Piers and his interviewing style, ONE word is used repeatedly "INTERRUPT!" Wonder if he will get the hint?

January 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Rodney Stich

Morgan was too accomodating when former national security advisor Rice sought to justify the invasion of Iraq as she repeated the blatant lies that she gave prior to the invasion. The mostly unread American public again assumed that there was some truth to her lying when Morgan failed to provide a meaningful response. It is that type of media "accomodation" that led to the invasion that has killed tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis, including children, resulted in thousands of killed, maimed, or wounded GIs, and produced the world's greatest number of people wanting to kill Americans.

January 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Tuumuu

Piers Morgan, as I know him He is a great man. CNN should keep him for the sake of Cnn viewers. Thanks Piers. Carry on YOU ARE TALENTED INTERVIEWER.

January 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Char

I agree with the viewer comments about his constant interruptions. Condi was really cool to his poor manners. I was also amazed at his questions about cooking and dating. Would he have asked a man the same questions? What a male chauvenist!!

January 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Kathy Salmanson

You are a very good interviewer with one glaring exception, which was very evident and disconcerting in your interview with Condoleeza Rice. You interrupt the interviewee. You need to be a good listener and not be thinking about your next question.
    I learned this when I was a State prosecutor. Sometimes your next question should not be the next one on your list, but a follow-up to the interviewee's answer. I know you have time constraints, but constantly talking over someone is rude, rude, rude.

January 20, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kamchaska

Well said and so true. I found the interruptions so frustrating I went back to cleaning the house.
      I do hope he's going to improve his interview manner by tomorrow..

January 20, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jyotsna

Morgan: Please listen to all these posts especially Kathy's..Just listen and be a good listener and pleese do not cut in when you just asked your guest a question instead of jumping on to the next question. It is very annoying to us and I'm sure your guests feel the same.

January 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Shelby Morrison

The show is improving every night. You should review the video with Oprah and count how many times your nervous laugh interrupts. I couldn't watch the whole hour. Your interview with Condi Rice was good and she was impressive and interesting.

January 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. wafa m saied

Iam an Iraqi excel and one of your fans . However, as watched your interview with condoleeza rice Ifelt sick: She should told about the millien Iraqis killed and milliens turend into refuges as areselt auf her waijing aciminal war

January 20, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. val vass

Insulting, to have a an accomplished politician on the show and ask her about what she would cook Piers for dinner. Mr. Morgan, it is the 21st century. Would you have asked this of Henry Kissinger?
    Pathetic.
    You are lucky she has manners and didn't call you on this archaic and medieval behavior.

January 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Mike

Watched the Condi Rice interview. Far too many interruptions by Piers. The people he interviews are the real program, not the barage of quick fire questions he seems so intent to do. He needs to tone it down a notch and let his guests answer. He had a chance to get some really good info from Condoleeza but kept interrupting her every other sentence. There is a talent to interviewing people and he needs to refine his technique a bit. His noteriety will take him only so far. If all his future interviews are like this one, I probably won't watch much more.

January 20, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Debbie

Piers, Please, please, please stop interrupting your guests! If you ask a question...give them a chance to answer. I was embarrassed at the way you continually interrupted Condi Rice...some of us would have loved to hear her answers. If you want to be an interviewer...learn to listen!!!

January 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. jimmie

Piers, if you even take the time to read these comments, you need to shut the hell up and NOT INTERUP your guest. It was embarassing to watch you with Condi. She is world class material and you were dismal, to say the least. I'm giving you and CNN one more chance, (tonight) and then we'll see if there is any improvement. Just remember one thing............it's not about you!

January 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Rayleh

So far I am not impressed with this new show. I find Piers pompous presenting an even more self important image than he did on Celebrity Apprentice. In the past CNN was watched from 9pm to 11pm. Now I will wait until 10pm and enjoy AC360.

January 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Peter Dow

"Condoleezza Rice for President in 2012. Join this group of supporters from everywhere on the world wide web."

Rice for President Yahoo Group

All Peter Dow's Condi videos

January 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anteater

Rice is an american war criminal. She deserves life in prison.

March 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • neets

i am agreeing not bc of my personal feelings about her but that what she did was criminal..truelly. btw, ppl like what jesse ventura said, we live in a two party dictatorship. ppl wether you are a dem or rep, and dont like what is going on, leave it, please, your votes don't just affect those in your party. they affect the whole world. they do benefit those in your party. we have to shake it up even if you don't agree with them so that they know we are tired of it. oh, btw, ppl... the tea party IS the republican party. it a plant bc they know we are getting tired of it and we seek an alternative party. so in case we vote in the tea party, its still the GOP.

April 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tolu Olaifa

Love Piers ,but his interview with Howard Stern and Dr Rice is not too impressive,it sucks when keep interrupting your guest.One piece of advice Piers;For you to last long learn to listen with rapt attention .

January 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Nancy of NY

Congratulation Piers I wish great success. You are wonderful.
    Dr Condi Rice is very smart and articulate lady can but does not want to be accountable for her role in the killing of millions in Iraq? We all were horrified at the loss of innocent lives on 911 but taking other innocent lives makes it make it right?????Good grief this lady is teaching our young now. How did such a smart lady work with Bush ?

January 21, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Nancy of NY

Congratulation Piers I wish great success. You are absolutely wonderful.
    Dr Condi Rice is very smart and articulate lady but does not want to be accountable for her role in the killing of millions in Iraq? We all were horrified at the loss of innocent lives on 911. Over a million innocent lives were killed because of WMD. This smart lady is teaching our young now !

January 21, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. GEO

THINK CONDI RICE WAS IN LOVE W/GEO W BUSH FOR 8 YRS..SHE HAD HER OWN PERSONAL SUITE AT CAMP DAVID W/A GRAND PIANO../FROM AN ACCURATE SOURCE/...

January 21, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. HelenHull102951

This is NOT A WAR ON TERROR, tell the truth for a change!! This is a war on OIL and who controls the flow of that oil. It's about time Americans wake up to this fact and start pushing the gov to admit the facts. You parents with young men and women (your children) or relitives fightng and dieing for this "so called WAR ON TERROR" deserve to know the facts. My nephew served in the naval ground forces during the war admits that their orders were to gain seize and control the oil feilds at any and all costs. He served for the SEAL TEAM 2 and their mission was just that!! This gov is lieing to the people of this country and it sickens me..

January 21, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Gary

Rice still not in touch with objective reality.

January 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Beatruce

Either Mr. Morgan should quit asking powerful and successful black women why they aren't married or he needs to devote 10 minutes to every unmarried person he interviews whether they fantasize about a large fancy wedding. This is getting old and quite insulting very fast.

January 22, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. HelenHull102951

And yes Piers needs to work on his interrupting the people he interviews. CNN comentators should give him some leasons on how to interview people, but after he figures everything out and reads some of these blogs, he'll be just fine.

January 22, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Tom

Why can't she own up to the fact that the Bush Administration lied and has cost the lives of thousands.

January 22, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Cathy

I was so annoyed by Piers' interruptions on this interview that I turned off the channel. Shame on him for being so disrespective to Condoleeza Rice. It would have been nice to hear her answers to his questions. I don't know if I'll watch him ever again. Sorry Piers...

January 22, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Cathy

*disrespecful

January 22, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. mark in San Francisco

Am enjoying the new show...but find it distracting that Piers interrupts and speaks over his guests a lot. The was especially true for me with the Ms. Rice interview.

January 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

Agree!! Hate the interruptions. They're ANNOYING and RUDE! Manner-up Piers!

January 23, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Catherine

Piers Morgan is the host not the star and he should stop trying to compete with his guests. He is not smarter than Dr Rice; he is not hipper than Howard Stern and he is not cooler than George Clooney.
    He must stop interrupting the guests!
    I am very disappointed in this show.

January 23, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

You summed it up quite nicely! Thank you!

January 23, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Paolo

I like hearing about Ms. Rice. One of the most interesting interviews. Piers needs to stop interrupting his guests. It was so annoying every time Piers interrupted Ms. Rice. Just my 2 cents.

January 23, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Myrtle Mosher

I watch Piers every night from CANADA. He is very good at interviewing famous people. Larry King is still rates best in my oponion. Have a good life Larry... Piers please talk a little slower. I dont want too miss a word. Myrtle Mosher 85
    from ONTARIO,CANADA

January 23, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Susan

The word "interrupt" has been used over 25 times in the comments above. CNN, if you care about the success of the program, perhaps you should take note and give Piers a clue.

January 23, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. nuria

That's the way he is. He interrupts when he was to get to the point, when the guest is not answering the question . Otherways the interview would be long and boring. I like his style. That was a good choice CNN.

January 24, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paterika

Yes, indeed. I like Piers' show and style. Just classy. We probally all know where Dr Rice will continue to say on political matters during her time under President Bush, and probably there is not any thing new that she could have said about her role in the Bush Administration. Why rehash it on the show to make the show boringly long with clutter, weeding is not interrupting. Check out Google for all those releases the then Secretary of State, Dr Rice made during her tenure her stance on political matters and they probably will never change.

January 24, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. HelenHull102951

I don't blame Condi for leaving the White House, this government we have now is so outragesly corrupt that it can't be TRUSTED any longer. She got out because she knew that the Obummer admin was pushing more and more towards comminism, smart lady.. Now the gov contros everything from what one is allowed see on TV to how you can and cannot use on your personal cell phone or computers.. They and DHS even monitor what the media is allowed print and are able to release on personal mobile devices.. THIS GOVERNMENT STINKS AND IT'S GOING TO GET WORSE!!

January 24, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Hans Giza

I want to marry this woman of my dreams!

January 26, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. neets

i study deceptiveness. i cannot divulge to what degree but i can tell you that Rice is very deceptive and not forthcoming. For those whom know, she favors her left when being deceptive. Notice how Piers shows her a fair degree of respect but when it comes to those whom aren't a proponent of the status quo he is a pompous ass. Watch his interviews with the outspoken guests like Howard Stern, Jesse Ventura, etc. He is very disrespectful and does not want you to get your point out. One video comes to mind are the twins that went to court over facebook ownership. He just screws them in the interview. CNN, get rid of this guy. Oh, wait, i forgot... you have a political agenda or you are a government plant.

April 11, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply