Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 21st, 2011

Love, war and everything in between: What happened on "Piers Morgan Tonight" this week

Premiere week has come to an end on "PIers Morgan Tonight." Let's take a look back at the eclectic mix of superstar guests who talked to Piers Morgan about love, war and everything in between.

In the above clip, George Clooney and Nick Clooney discuss the actor's childhood. And below – one clip from each night:

Ricky Gervais came on to talk about his controversial Golden Globes hosting performance. He didn't think he did anything wrong – even when he joked about religion and atheism:

Oprah Winfrey was our first guest, speaking candidly about her new network, her friendship with Gayle King and more. But it was this exchange, about her relationship with Stedman and her insistence she's "not the marrying type" that got a lot of attention:

When Howard Stern's involved, get ready for the unpredictable. While he got serious at times to talk family life and politics, he really unleashed on Jay Leno – and the talk show legend's fans:

Former Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice talked about marriage, football and gumbo. But during this five-minute exchange with Piers, the War on Terror and Iraq War run-up took centerstage. With surprising results:

And coming next week: Rudy Giuliani, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian, Colin Firth and Rod Stewart!

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Jim Dimovski

Canada loves you, Piers! Keep up the great work!

January 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LadyGagas

A British goober, on TV? Get rid of them.

And don't buy Hilfiger, either.

January 23, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jessica

Why of all people CNN chose Piers? A British guy on American TV? I can't stand his accent and he seems arrogant.

January 31, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jayshree

Happy Birthday fellow mid-late 30-something Capricorn! Looks like a wfrednoul birthday. I did the same on my day, December 29th!Got my eyebrows threaded, had a crepe, got a new computer bag ect. 2011- Onward & Upward. Chris (from scratch club)

June 28, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. L. Dowie

Love the show, but was hoping for a little more of the ascerbic Piers that I've really come to enjoy.

January 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Gavin Grimson

Great show, worth the publicity, keep up the great work!

January 22, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. lolarites

Major disappointment. I thought he was going to have some really interesting guests, not this boring group. Rickey Gervais, maybe. These are the same people Larry King would have had on, except they didn't want to sit across from him.

January 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • w84it

I criticized the golden boy. I'm no longer welcome in the sandbox.

January 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Chelsea Doors

Soft,boring, been there, seen this before.
    Some very silly questions: George, would you rather have an Oscar, or peace in the Sudan? Give me a break.

January 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Oliver

I did not see the one with the Clooneys but if that was the standard of the questioning then I certainly did not miss anything. I guess the reason why that guy Simon Cowel (not sure of spelling) cried whist being interviewed by Piers in England was that he could never finish answering a question before being interupted. If Piers only learnt to listen to his guests he would learn so much more about them. Let's hope he improves by READING all these comments about cutting off the guests at mid sentance.....

January 22, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Al

that wasn't simon cowell that was cheryl cole, who apparently might be a new host on america's x factor

January 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

No kidding! How stupid is that! What a waste of time!

January 23, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • John

He will never come close to Larry King; especially statring off with a "list" of people he hates. Madonna? Reallly? Give me a break.

January 23, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. claudia

Who will be the guest tonight?

January 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. dj

I like the show, but what is with the set? It hurts my eyes to watch the show and hope hope HOPE they tone down those colors and the brightness. Are we going retro with a bad Florida disco vibe? Please design something more tolerable to look at. Please!!

January 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jotman

It's hard to look at. Yes. Also, the lights are not done like that just to look pretty. It's not just a matter of some set designer's bad taste. The rotating lights are consciousness-altering, very much like a drug. Of course, that's no accident.

January 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack

I agree with you, this set awful. That green color particularly.

January 23, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Cynthia Olson

Piers is great. He's funny, curious and his questions are interesting. Loved his first week.

January 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Bill Kearns

Great week of Show, a lot better than Larry. Look forward to Rod Stewart. Keep Up the Good Work, CNN needs it!

January 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. coreen kitto

I truly enjoyed your conversation with George Clooney and his father, Nick. Very good interview and excellent content.

January 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. knut

really enjoyed the george clooney segment great content

January 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Clemens Mulokozi

Inspiring, funny, entertaining, touching and authentic. I'm in search for a charakter like Clooney for my initiative in Tanzania: Jambo Bukoba

January 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jackie

I was delighted when Piers was chosen to replace Larry King (who I found to be extremely annoying). I have watched each show this past week, and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. Piers is a refreshing, intelligent and entertaining interviewer, and I look forward to viewing his program for many years to come, (although I do wish the Kardashians would just go away) lol

January 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Judy Reese

Fantastic show – even better than I hoped. Keep up the great job. Have enjoyed every show (except I did pass on Howard Stern).

January 22, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Dxtra

I DVR'd the Howard Stern interview, what a great episode.. Piers and Howard jabbing at each other.. Really thought what Howard to say was interesting.. Peirs did a great job trying to provoke Howard.. I loved at the end when Howard trying to tell Piers that CNN will cut him off after 3 months.. LOL

January 22, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. OneCitizenSpeaking

I am majorly disapointed with the debut week. I was looking for the tough guy - like Steve Dunleavy - who was unafraid to ask the tough questions. What I saw was a polite lovefest that did not live up to my expectations. Especially given the program hype of the previous weeks. He talks tough, but doesn't appear to walk the walk. I understand the need to be somewhat polite to get guests, but this does not appear to be Pier's forte. I would see him as a smarter, tougher, streetwise antidote to the predictable O'Reilly and Hannity. King's ratings were not that great, so why even attempt to preserve that same old "kiss ass" genre?

January 22, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Jackie

Loved the Howard interview! Howard came across as very honest and real, self reflective. I have listened to his radio show for 22 years...Love him!

January 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Ralph Samuels

Great shows; good guests- able interviewer- crisp pace, BUT a an eye challenging set; colour and lights overwhelm the conversation.

January 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. walter

piers showed what we already knew, these people are boring if you ever dig deep.let me help with a few suggestions.
    wang ho with susan sarandon together, dick cavet, paul anka, wayne newton ,alex baldwin, peter o toole, fidel castro,
    hugo chavez.most have been seen before mostly cramped into eight minutes,if allowed to flow they can be very entertaining.never the less will keep looking a little longer.good luck

January 22, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. rena

I was delighted when I heard that piers would be replacing Larry King. A European touch and a very clever CNN move because the interviews last week were never boring, always interesting, a lot to laugh and gave more insight. Excellent piers, please keep on your great Job. the interview with Clooney and Dad was not only interesting but also informative and eye-opening.
    Congrats for your first week with CNN.

January 22, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. CATHERINE

Are you only posting complimentary blogs?

January 22, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • norlly

Are you surprised?

January 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Catherine

Actually I was surprised....but if you look at the postings below....things have opened up.

January 23, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  22. RockStarKJ

Piers, for the love of God... PLEASE stop interrupting and talking all over your guests. I am enjoying the new show, but that habit of yours is incredibly annoying and making the show unwatchable. It's bad enough that we have to deal with this happening on The View. You have interesting people on the show, let us hear what they have to say completely without you cutting off the end of their thoughts just so you can spout some witty remark or get the next question in. I'll have to cancel my series-recording and stop watching if this keeps up, and I really don't want to do that. Thanks!

January 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Andy

Great 1st week!Please bring dick cavvet to the show!

January 22, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Catherine

...only if they would allow him to do the interview and teach Piers how it is done.

January 23, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. BOB

I don't have a TV. Who is Piers Morgan and how come CNN is plastering him all over the place and praising him like he's jesus all of the sudden?

January 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. John Oliver

Piers lets see if you and or CNN address the issue of you cutting your guests in mid flow, so to speak. Saying that though I would give you and your team 8 out of 10. The proof of the pudding, for me, is how you handle the great and legendary ROD STEWART, please do not cut his responses to your questions.. Hopefully the ante will be raised to 9 out of 10 if you are listening and paying attention to the viewers

January 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • BOB

Woah he does that? That ain't good. Sounds more like he's grilling people and more concerned with himself than his guests. Hosts should be almost invisible in this sort of format, allowing the guests to take center stage – merely helping things move along smoothly.

January 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. fittinguy

Can't watch this show! Piers may have an impressive line-up of guests, but the guy is boring and has few interviewing skills. CNN needs to find new talent...soon.

January 22, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. fittinguy

Great guests...terrible host. Piers cannot hold an interview.

January 22, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. victor

ARROGANT, IGNORANT, SELFISH AND BORING, JUST BORING, CHANGE THE HOST PLEASE, JUST GOOD ENOUGH FOR SIMPLE SHOWS LIKE BRITISH TALENT OR ELSE

January 22, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Paul

Absolutely toothless, boring and predictable. What a flop. Oprah smoked him, as did Stern. It was almost painful to watch how she held him at bay with his little questions and never let him in. And what was that buffoon Gervais doing there first week? From Oprah to that? Bottom line: a typical Englishman in New York.
    Note to producers: should have drafted Michael Vick or some other brain-dead material that makes good drama and is an easy target to hit with an "original brilliant" question. Larry should have stayed.

January 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Rita

I really enjoyed your show more than Larry King. I was disappointed that Piers was too quick to ask another question while the quests are still talking. He might not be interested in the full reply, but I am. He kept cutting off Howard Stern, maybe because his reply was lengthy. But he was interesting. If Piers was running out of time, then have him to return. It aggraviated me that he kept cutting off the reply. LET YOUR GUESTS FINISH THEIR STATEMENTS. PLEASE.

January 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kaylee

Thats exactly what I just said, every time He did that I was thinking "Why are you interviewing this person if you don't even want to listen to what they are saying?"
      grrrr

January 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Kaylee

I was really excited about the show and I watched every night this week, but there was on thing that really got to me.
    He wouldn't let anybody finish their sentences and kept interrupting them while they were trying to answer the question He had just asked. Dr. Rice told him to hold on and let for answer the question a couple of times, and after that He kinda stopped but anyway... that just annoyed me.

January 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Candy

To borrow the British phrase, "you're spot on"

January 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Catherine

Very strange fellow....I think he believes that he is better informed than Dr Rice; hipper than Howard Stern; more important than to Oprah....I'm watching the Condoleeza Rice interview again and he is literally correcting her! Unbelievable ego.
      And the interruptions!

January 23, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Candy

With the exception of Condoleezza Rice and possibly George Clooney the other 3 guest that were on this week are people who speak to every microphone within ear shot so just what makes this such an exceptional week? I don't dislike Mr. Morgan, but these 3 choices, I just don't get it.

January 22, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Sandra

I've watched Oprah, Howard, & Condee so far, and I've really enjoyed them & will watch more. However, one criticism: Piers interrupts his guest in the middle of their response, over & over again. Don't like that-it makes the interview stressful for the viewer...wondering if we'll get to here the guest's answer

January 22, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Chuck

Who the Hell is Piers Morgan and when did He become news? CNN is just pushing another show for $$$.

No thanks, I'm going back to FOX.

January 22, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. OneCitizenSpeaking

People Magazine on the telly. Between "brilliant" being a 10 and "rubbish being a 1,: in my opinion it's about a 4. Deleted my TiVo season pass already.

January 22, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Chike

I watched the debut with Oprah being interviewed. After the first segment I became quite unsure whether Mr. Morgan would ever help the viewers learn something new about Oprah. He failed to achieve that. I couldn't prep myself to watch subsequent editions because the excitement died the first time. Mr. Morgan must learn to make the guests relax so the viewers can learn more from their responses.

January 22, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Geo In TO

Wow. The ratings are slipping with each new interview. Time to consider canceling this show.

January 22, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. sheldon, Herndon VA

Ricky Gervais was an ass! There is a hugh difference between being comical and out of line. His comments on Sandra Bullock were poor and out of line and his end of show scream out thanking go for making him an atheist was even worse. There was little humor and a great deal of poor unprofessional bad taste.

January 23, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • FormerChristian

"thanking go[d] for making him an atheist was even worse. There was little humor and a great deal of poor unprofessional bad taste."

I thought that was the best line.

On one hand, he was saying that performers thanking god for allowing them fame an fortune is rather pointless.
      On the other hand, he was saying that he does not believe in a god.
      He presented it in a funny way.

Yes, perhaps I thought it was funny because it's something I would want to say after hearing many people thank god.
      He is braver than me.

Usually the politically correct thing to do (as politicians know) is to thank god, and act religious, to gain support from the masses.

Gervais was not being politically correct during the entire show. But he is a comedian, not a generic announcer.

A religious person should not be offended with the "thank god for making me an athiest",
      any more than a non religious person should be offended by "thank god".

If you really don't want to offend anyone, then they should never mention god.
      But I suspect, you may only be worrying about offending religious people.

Yes, what he said was untraditional. But I hope such a statement encourages more people to be open on the subject.

January 23, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nita

I did watch the interview with Condaleeza Rice but no other. If Piers Morgan is going to focus on "celebrities" and not people of substance or people holding powerful positions, I won't watch it. There are too many programs about or featuring "celebrities" already plus those awful reality programs I've seen advertized. The plus side is I'll be able to spend more time writing the "Great American Novel" which no one will read and I never expect to finish in any case. But it is certainly a wonderful and fulfilling hobby.

January 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Catherine

Piers Morgan is the host not the star and he should stop trying to compete with his guests. He is not smarter than Dr Rice; he is not hipper than Howard Stern and he is not cooler than George Clooney.
    He must stop interrupting the guests!
    I am very disappointed in this show.

January 23, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Jena

Piers Morgan has been dismissed in disgrace from the editorship of two British national newspapers, and has had other really grave accusations hanging over him that have not been satisfactorily put to bed. He clearly believes he is more important than his guests, or the viewers – hence his banning of Madonna and Heather Mills from the show (even though they both have things to say that many viewers would find interesting/annoying/stimulating). All in all, CNN have taken a hell of a risk in giving this man such a slot, and they will doubtless regret their desperate, ill-considered, decision, before too long. Morgan's flaws as a man and a professional cannot be hidden for long. And, with the huge publicity that this show has been given, this crazy experiment will unravel quickly, and spectacularly.

January 23, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. KT

Wow, Piers sure interrupts a lot. If you are asking a guest on your show a question, the least you can do is let them finish their answer. He seems rather rude and very pretentious.

January 23, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Michael Y

I stopped watching CNN a decade ago, but I have to say Piers Morgan is one of the best thing on TV. He's bright, irreverent, thoughtful and he makes Larry King look like the clown he really was. All hail Piers.

January 23, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pete C

I find it incredible that anybody would accuse Piers Morgan of interupting his guests, and not let them finish, when Larry King was the worlds worst at talking all over his guests comments. King was so far past his sell-by date by at least two years, and I'm surprised he wasnt replaced earlier.

I'm Anglo-American, having lived all but 15 years in the UK, and I get the distinct feeling that many people posting dont take it very well when a character such as Morgan gets a long term nightly prime-time slot on US TV. Well get over it! People like him, Nigel Lythgoe, Simon Cowell, and Simon Fuller are breathing new life into the aging US TV schedules. Keep up the good work Piers!

January 23, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • BARBWIRED

Ditto!

January 24, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Joanna

Piers now I actaully have listened to howard stern...glad to know i was missing nothing. good interview please he is boring...bring on real people...

January 23, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Tom M

Piers is way overrated! He comes off as an arrogant ass and doesn't ask very interesting questions. But let's face it, interviewing interesting people doesn't require any talent.

January 23, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Herbert

He is smarmy, arrogant, overly self-satisfied and just generally annoying. In this economy, we should be hiring Americans in this country not foreigners. Support our own citizens for jobs irregardless of the industry, and even for the big time TV journalism jobs. How many of you think there is an American in the UK with such a job? There isn't, so there definitely shouldn't be the reverse here. I hope his show fails miserably!!!!

January 23, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary Grant, Connecticut

Agree 100%. When British companies start hiring Americans, maybe this would be acceptable. I for one am tired of seeing English people commenting on our politics, talent, etc. when Americans are not welcome to get a job in England unless they are married to an Engllish citizen. I don't understand why americans are so enchanted by the English accent. It must be something residual/subliminal from before the American Revolution. It doesn't mean they are smarter or better than Americans, people! I can't comment on the show, because I refuse to watch.

January 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  46. phil

It is terrible that CNN is playing this article off as news when it is just a shameless promotion for the show. There has been a news "story" about Piers every day since the show started. I expected more from CNN–but I guess I should have known.

January 23, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel Jacobs

My sentiments exactly!!! This is not news, this is a commercial. I am getting really sick of CNN pretending that these are news stories. CNN "journalists" – you might as well be working for Perez Hilton. People don't take you seriously – you're a joke.

January 23, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Radio King

CNN has become E-Entertainment Television. It's time for CNN to dump the experiment with the Brit and go for Keith Olbermann's wit. How can you respect a show that's not even live and the person doing the interview asks the same questions on multiple nights.

January 23, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Frank

Tonight I will be the guest and I guarantee you that after watching me you will realize how boring and dull your life is. So get ready folks for the greatest interview ever, I will change your life, just by mere words.

January 23, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  49. bill

Piers,
    Yeah, you're good.
    But you are no David Frost.
    Not enough spit.

January 23, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Johyn Que 3000

My review for the week.

Not Boring but no edge either.
    The questions don't challenge, they coddle, Condi Rice was treated like Piers was her stylist instead of her confessor. Howard Stern was the star for the week, the Oprah interview seemed more a audition by Piers to gain a foothold on Ms. O's network, and George Clooney, well he was George Clooney with maliria, a new unexpected role.

It might run 5 years if the man can stand the challenge. Two out of 5 stars.

January 23, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Debby

According to viewer count the numbers weren't there though. I watched Condi Rice the rest were just tinsel town dummies not worth the time.

January 23, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Sue

Let the guest finish their thought before asking the next question – I like Pierce and hope he does very well. He is dignified and still has a humorous side. I actually could not stand Howard Stern for years yet Pierce actually brought out a quality in him I didn't think existed and I don't think he's as much of a bufoon as I orifginally thought. I believe the set should be much smaller and more intimate – too big for 2 people. This will also help the guest feel more comfortable too and spill more info! Good Luck Pierce!

January 23, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  53. dm

Howard Stern....your opinion does not matter to most people. Putting other people down to try and make yourself look better...not going to work. Sorry, I find you utterly classless.

January 23, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  54. curandera

Shockingly odious. Awful show, tho not as irritating as Larry King. Piers won't last long in the 6pm slot with that show. Ugh, truly forced and mostly uninteresting. Penis lengths with Howard Stern? Hoo boy...... Did not work and what were they thinking, tho Howard was a compelling subject.

January 23, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  55. Mrs. Tiger Woods

Why do we need British dorks on our TV? What's next, Swedes?

January 23, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  56. Ann

For some reason I thought Piers would be good. So I had high expectations. This was a major disappointment. Aside frm Oprah and George Clooney, his recent guests were quite atrocious. So go for the predictable shock value and get Howard Stern and Ricky Gervais. Whoop tee doo! Why don't you get guests that actually can teach us something new. Why shine a spotlight on rude crass people. Plus, his interviewing style.... as the week progressed on... is just grating on my nerves!!!

January 23, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Darkwind

BORING !!! Would someone please write this clown 5 new questions to ask every guest that comes on.

January 23, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  58. Carol

I agree with commenter, John Oliver. I watched part of the Ricky Gervais interview and part of the Howard Stern interview. In both cases, the guest was interupted several times and looked very surprised when Piers cut them off before they could answer the question that he had asked. Piers asked Stern about America and Obama etc., Stern was really on a roll talking about America in general, the Clinton presidency, and was just getting to his point (which, I assume, was the Obama presidency) when Piers cut him off and changed the subject. Stern looked baffled for a second, but went on with the show.

Larry King would always say the key to a successful interview is to listen to the guest, and not make the interview about the host – it's about the guest. Piers would be wise to take Larry's advice and shut up for 5 seconds and let the guest finish a thought. However, I think Piers is far too conceited and arrogant to ever let a guest be the "star" of the show.

January 23, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  59. DS

Great interviews in the first week except for probably HS. But looking at guest list for next week – it appears to be on its way down.

January 23, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  60. RS

Piers has some interesting guests. One rule of thumb for hosts is to shutup after you ask your question and let the guests answer it. He interrupted Ricky and Howard Stern like 30 times during the interview. Piers – go ask Larry for some advice on how to listening to your guests.

January 23, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  61. Glenn Forsythe

Piers is not a good interviewer! We should hear very little of the interviewer, but instead Piers spends half the interview talking about him and what he thinks. Your first interview with Oprah was a big snooze and we did not learn anything about her we didn’t already know. The show is a big disappointment; I was looking forward to a new nightly routine in place of Larry King. I am totally taking this show off my DVR recording list.

January 23, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  62. David Jones

Enough already! This publicity is driving everyone crazy!!!

January 23, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  63. Kate May Brooke

I don't like the fact that it's not live, everyone so far has been taped. What is going to be broadcast when news is going on...some flimsy taped interview with the likes of Ricky Gervais???? Not a good start as far as I'm concerned, CNN lost a viewer for that time slot.

January 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  64. prettythings1

This show is a waste of electricity. Why is It not on the "E" channel or maybe MTV? Larry King was just a celebrity wannabe. This new guy is the same. I feel the same disappointment I felt when I obtained the Biography Channel. Instead of Napoleon, Lenin, Tchaikovsky, or Washington, we get informed about the intricacies of important history changing luminaries like Justin Bieber. Hey CNN: Aren't you supposed to be a NEWS NETWORK?

January 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  65. Jane Ianacone

This guy needs to stop interrupting his guests! I tune in to hear what the guests have to say, but they usually don't get to complete a sentence before he jumps in with another comment/question. I actually had to turn off the interview with Condoleeza Rice because he was so completely annoying. This is not supposed to be a show about HIM!!!!

January 23, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  66. Jim Newman

How about getting Sir Cliff Richard on the show. I know you have interviewed him in the past but the American audience would be thrilled to see him. He is a living legend worldwide and he is a great interview.

January 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  67. bill

highly over rated!

January 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  68. KJ

I think Piers was great. He was prepared, asked good questions, listened and responded on the spot. They were intelligent and insightful interviews and I wish him the best of luck. He is great and glad he is on...

January 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  69. Rick Parry

Thoroughly enjoyed the shows but as a South African I felt the comparison, during his show with George Clooney, between Darfur and Johannesburg, in terms of both being dangerous cities to visit, would suggest that the Johannesburg that Piers visited is not the one where I live. Darfur is, or at least has been in recent time, a War Zone – despite our Crime problems, Johannesburg is certainly not!

January 23, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  70. Joe smith

The show blows and is a WOT Waste of time. CNN is no longer a reliable source for news. CNN means cable noise now and this show just proves it....too bad the days of real news coverage are over...its now just personality shows with a camera ...i have far more interesting personalities in my backyard....what a shame and and a WOT.

January 23, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  71. smokinmike

. . . hey guys . . .

Don't break your arms patting yourselves on the back . . .

January 23, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  72. Jim

Stop promoting this hack on the front page of your site as if this show is a news story in itself.

January 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  73. lenni

I liked the show, hated the set and loved the guests. He asked great questions but needed to wait and be less intrusive.Just take up a little less space in the sound ,and emotion of the guests.

January 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Larry B.

Its plainly evident from the level of vitriol in some of the responses that the issue is not about Piers, its about the fact that he's a well educated mannerly Englishman, who has the nerve to muscle in and replace a legendary icon like Larry King in a prime time slot. How can anybody put forward the point that he interrupts guests, when King did that constantly, when he could stay awake! King was very poor throughout the last few years of his tenure on that show. Morgan is an excellent replacement, and I'm glad he's signed up for a long period. I know he has a unique style to many americans, who dont have the art of conversation down properly, but american TV needed a shakeup like this.

Long may you reign Piers. Excellent first week!

January 23, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  74. Leo

ratings must be really bad to have an article and frontpage link allocated...

January 23, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  75. Catherine

Morgan asks Condoleeza Rice if she will run for office and she clearly responded that she would not....and he had the nerve to say to a woman of her accomplishments...."What, why; you're still fit; you're still young."
    He was not talking to Susan Anton about a possible comeback; he was talking to Condoleeza Rice for petesake!

January 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  76. Jotman

The producers evidently don't think the interviews will be of sufficient quality to retain viewers' attention without visual tricks. The set, with its disco spasm of lights, is designed to hypnotize viewers into a trance-state. Studies have been done on this - you can google them. The visuals are supposed to keep you watching longer. The hope is that the lights will keep your mind numb enough to sit on your sofa like a lump through all the commercials. CNN is very much drugging the audience with these effects, these visual mind games. I will have no part in it.

January 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  77. Eileen

Dislike the show very, very much.

January 23, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  78. Carol

I think the show was over-hyped and over-sold. All of this nonsense about his great interviewing style, and bla, bla, bla. was ridiculous and it set Morgan up for failure.

I always thought that Larry King's strength was his soft-ball approach to interviewing. He would make the guest feel relaxed and would get more out of them that way instead of grilling them or trying to throw them off with rapid-fire questioning.

When Larry had a controversial guest on, he would give them enough rope to hang themselves, case in point: Carrie Prejean. She had been on every show pushing her book and trying to get herself a career in broadcasting, but Larry put her out of business. That interview was the last we saw of her – (thank god). Larry just calmly asked questions and she had a meltdown on the air and proved that she was an idiot. Case closed – goodbye, Carrie.

Maybe Piers just needs to relax a bit – stop interrupting the guest – stop being so arrogant. I liked Howard Stern's answer to Piers' comment that he banned Madonna from the show: Howard said "She wouldn't come on this show". So true. Get off the high-horse Piers, you haven't shown us anything to brag about yet.

January 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  79. Joe

piers is such a total jerk he has Howard Stern on his show but has banned a talented and important man like Keith Olberman. We'll I won't watch this british moron. He can go back to England.

January 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  80. Jason

Larry was the best and lasted as long as he did by following two basic principles:

1. LISTEN to your guest and don't interrupt
    2. NEVER talk about yourself

Unfortunately, Piers doesn't subscribe to either principle and I find that very unfortunate. My only hope for CNN is naming someone to replace Larry was to find someone that understood how to interview. I suspect that he will eventually struggle to find the same caliber of guests willing to be on his show. Please be more selective next time CNN>

January 23, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack

Great comment Jason. Right on the nail !

January 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  81. Mary Brooke

I stopped watching after the first two shows. This isn't live. Piers isn't a good interviewer, plus he's got interruptusitis. I was bored and disappointed. Piers is not very engaging. I expected to like the show. Maybe I'll watch again when there is a guest host. Until then, I will no longer be watching CNN at that hour.

January 23, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  82. Barbara A Woodin

Piers – just heard Colin Firth is coming on your show this week! WHEN? WHAT NIGHT? I want to put out a FIRTH ALERT ON HIS FB PAGE AND MINE!!

January 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  83. Bernadette

I really like the way Piers interviews. It comes off more like an easy conversation, vs a "forced" question and answer period. I think his guests like that.

January 23, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  84. Ernie

Excellent!!!! Finally an old style talk show like Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas where they actually have a conversation with the guest, they are not on because they are peddling their latest book or movie. Another keep up the great work from Canada, we are really enjoying watching the show.

January 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  85. Aaron

Duvalier loves the spotlight. He is back in Haiti for the money and is clamoring for attention. Piers you should reach out to him and do a live 1 on 1 interview from Haiti. I doubt he would say no.

January 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  86. Jack

I dislike taped shows of this category. Is this guy, Piers I think is his name, afraid of direct ?

January 23, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  87. zippy

Wow, CNN is really hyping this show!

January 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  88. Pat

Piers' could suck the life out of a zombie! He has no presence. He himself is not interesting. If you want a Britt go for Craig Ferguson, light-years better! Craig is as good as his guests.

January 23, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  89. Denise

Impressive show.......Piers Morgan rocks....cute too!

January 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  90. Sullivan Nichols

Mr. Morgan: I disagree with your first guest's characterization of you. You are certainly more than "interesting." Ms. Winfrey displayed such hubris and a complete lack of humility which is a sad commentary on her enormous self-absorbtion. Quite in bad taste. I have enjoyed your show and appreciate the intelligent and probing questions. Finally, something of good taste on television. Much sucesss to you.

January 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  91. lolarites

I thought the first weeks line up was particularly banal. Piers flexing his muscles showing the world that he can get Oprah and George Clooney. They haven't said anything original in years. And Rice, even more boring if that's possible and Monday you've got Rudy, this ship is running a ground very quickly. Get someone on that has something interesting to say. Prove to us you are better than Larry King.

January 23, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  92. Kat

Piers is so full of himself. What is it with asking the same questions like which moment would you live again. I got sick of the flashy ads for his shows, there was a lot of hype but the show is not worth my time.

January 23, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  93. John Oliver

STOP the hype, STOP the self promotion and get on with asking questions to important people and have to grace to listen to their answers without the needless need to interrupt them. Let's face it YOU are NO Larry King even though CNN maybe paying you more than they paid him. Mind you it's not Piers fault it's the men in grey suites who hired you in the first place.

January 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  94. Mark Doucet

What a joke. He asks everyone the same boring, stupid questions with absolutely no substance. Get rid of this bore and bring Rick Sanchez Back. He had an interesting show worth watching. Wrong move to put this Piers Morgan bore on. He doesn't even do a live show. Take after take until he gets it right, I certainly know CNN can do better then him.

January 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  95. johnny33405

I am only going to sound like a kill joy here to CNN and George but risk it as not intention.
    After hearing some of Clooney's comments on why Sudan, as well as, his own thoughts on being himself.
    I agree and understand his personal ability and position as a great known but unknown actor. Great position to be in George and you are a single guy too with resources to actually make something happen.
    The part CNN and media will not appreciate but CNN and George may well be aware of already is that back before internet, cell phones and instant media, working to bring life supporting and human relief to places such as Sudan were prob more dangerous yet actually more successful once the building blocks in place – without impacting and raising the hair on the Western world's population. Now, every move you make and effort to bring hope is a "statement" even when meant more to be an honest effort to help as well establish some mutual Diplomacy.
    Good luck George and friends. We got a lot of probs right here good ole USA.
    You are a fave of mine and fan of course.

January 24, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  96. mary nicholes

Nearly 7 billion people in the world and the most interesting interviews he can do are with Howard Stern, Rick Gervais, the Khardashians??? How can CNN seriously advertise itself as a news station?

January 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  97. Jack McD

Why isn't this program live? Who is afraid, Piers Morgan? Nobody wants to watch a pre-recorded program of this genre.

January 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  98. MB

I generally like Piers and think the how has potential. Would've liked to hear more from Howard Stern that I didn't already know, but the Oprah show was great. The biggest challenge for me, while it sounds petty, is the set. The garish Vegas-type backdrop is almost unwatchable, especially at 9 pm. I find it jarring and distracting. I MUCH preferred the living room set of the Oprah interview, or even the calming comfort of Larry's set. Ditch the neon lights and the cold icy emptiness of the new one.

January 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  99. Susan C

seriously – you can't put a schedule up of upcoming guests? When is Colin Firth on?

January 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  100. Marie

This is the first time I've ever watched and listened to Morgan. I will never watch him again. What's the sense of watching an interview if he doesn't let the interviewee answer the question? His constant interrupting is a big turnoff.

February 9, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  101. Phil

The ratings will continue to drop as long as you have a Brit hosting an American show.

February 9, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  102. MB

I have no words for how bored I am by Piers' incessant obsession with HIMSELF. I find his interviews almost intolerable, and it all started when he told Howard Stern that he, Morgan, would end up the King of All Media. NEVER will that happen. I tried to watch Larry King's hyped interview tonight, and again, it's all about Morgan. Piers, you're really not fascinating and your blatant insecurity is monotonous. Learn how to interview, stop interrupting, and cease ALL talk about yourself. You should also show more class and avoid pimping out your sleazy-looking wife on radio shows like Howard's. Again, the insecurity is palpable. Unfortunately, you've wasted a great opportunity and wrecked CNN"s marquis timeslot. Watching you has made me rebel against any Brit presence on US TV. The NERVE Every time I try to give you another try, I can't watch. Bummer!

February 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply