Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 21st, 2011

Rudy 2012? Giuliani says he's more likely to run if Sarah Palin runs too

On Monday's hour-long "Piers Morgan Tonight" interview, Rudy Giuliani tells Piers Morgan he's more likely to run if Sarah Palin runs in 2012. "The more Republicans in which I can show a contrast...the better chance that I have," he said, describing himself as a moderate.

Here's more from the CNN Political Ticker:

But if he does run, Giuliani says he would concentrate on winning Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, sites of the first presidential nominating contests. In 2008 Giuliani focused his resources in Florida, a strategy that that led to the demise of his run after he finished third in the state's primary.

However, the former U.S. Attorney said he doesn't see a frontrunner in the Republican field, which makes for "a fluid situation."

"There is no obvious frontrunner right now," Giuliani said. "I guess everybody is happy with that, because nobody wants to be the frontrunner at this point because it always seems the frontrunner gets all the attention, all of the negative publicity."

Giuliani also talks about 9/11, marriage and more. The full, revealing interview airs Monday night at 9pmET/PT. Check out "John King, USA" later when Piers talks to John King about the Giuliani sit-down.

Post by:
Filed under: News
  1. Diogenes

From the Ticker: "Giuliani also talks about 9/11, marriage and more." Wnen has Giuliani NOT talked about 9/11???

January 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jayden

haha seriously... he didn't even do anything the last time around.. he just sat around and waited for the Florida Primary and he LOST lol..

January 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Bill

Giuliani and Palin? If this is the best the republicans have to offer, Obama will be around for a while. I read about some other names thrown around, all are from the same mould. You know show toughness, throw dirt and so forth.
    We need a leader with a clear massage on Jobs, wars, middle east, deficit. Dont want to hear about gay issues, abortion,
    education and all other items that they keep throwing around hoping to grab some votes.

January 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Morad Abou-Sabe

Piers Morgan is the most boring interviewer I have sees for some time.
    Morad

January 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lillemor Welch

I could not agree with you more! Can't we do better than this???

January 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dayo

piers morgan he british what do u expect.

January 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan H.

I disagree – Larry King was the most boring! Actually, I appreciate Piers' knowledge on a wide variety of topics.

January 25, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • karvictho

Piers is a great interviewer. If you actually want an intelligent thoughtful political question or an insightful one about a person's job Piers can manage it. To those who miss Larry's kindliness and willingness not to hold people's feet to the fire the entertainment news is where you want to go. Likewise for those people "bored" with discussions about what is going on in the world around you.

Piers..... You are doing great, and are a fantastic choice for this time slot. Thanks!

January 25, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lillemor Welch

I could not agree with you more! Can't we do better than this??

January 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marsha

bebophgp on February 15, 2011 Making money online can be frtunrasitg Especially when all the guides out there are just using you to make money from you!Luckily, there's a guy giving out a free guide about making a website, and creating revenue from itThe guide is 100% free, and he also gives you his email adressm so you can email him if you have problems!Get it now at:Tyreus {dot} net

June 30, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. maryln

Real smart Giullanni you can't even get people to see you in Fresno for practically free. Well that would make sure Obama wins.

January 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tracy

Hey! From a Canadian who used to live in the UK..... Welcome my friend. The US has an amazing chance to change the world and you can be part of it. Open the lines of communication and ask the hard questions. I will follow you as long as you stay true to finding the truith and asking the tough questions..... Love a clapham girl Tracy!!!!!

January 22, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dayo

american's are dump u don't expect much.

January 24, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. fullcourtpress

Rudy lives off of 911. He was the mayor doing his job . The real heroes were the civil servants died doing they job . Rudy Mr.Tuff guy .. Had an affair and brought the other lady into the house wife his wife and kids . Real men make it work ..

January 22, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dayo

i had a vision of 9/11 in 93 while crossing the hudson.

January 24, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mandy

YES !! YES !!

January 25, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Lisa,USA

Everyone I have talked to that has seen the new show loves it! Piers is funny, smart and looks like he is having a good time. He is very natural. I think he is an excellent interviewer. Good job Piers!

January 22, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. I am a celebrity get me out of here

Well I have endured sort of watching at least a couple of Piers baby' shows.
    I still can't understand CNN's choice in employing this 'iffy' interviewer.
    If will be interesting to see how long before he drops 'the flame'.
    Not too long my prediction.

January 22, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Karen

You've got to be kidding. I really did not expect CNN to replace Larry King with..well, another Larry King. But Piers Morgan? I've checked in with the show three evenings this week. Morgan acts like a ROBOT! Where is the warmth? And who is drafting his questions...the Harvard Law School? I offer these comments as a thirty year veteran of television production. How did Morgan pass the sniff test? For weeks, my husband thought Pierce Bronsan was replacing Larry and, believe me, that would have been a far better choice. I like Piers Morgan, but not in this role. Find someone who is more relaxed for us overworked slobs that need something credible and ENTERTAINING to watch after a long day at the quarry!

January 22, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. I am a celebrity get me out of here

The show is obviously taped so there is no instant excitement.
    Larry King was an icon, a throwback to the heady days of Walter Winchell and his elk.
    I remember Larry once singing a duet with Marlon Brando and chatting with Sinatra just before Dean Martin's death.
    Wonderful moments lost in time and remembered only by the individuals who were lucky enough to view them..
    Piers Morgan is a novice in comparison.
    Ghastly choice.
    One redeeming factor the UK doesn't have to see him on our channels, at least for the time being.
    Good luck America now you've the 'pleasure'(not) of his 'iffy' company.

January 22, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. carol

I never did like Piers Morgan on being a judge but I think they picked a great replacement for Larry King. So now I take back everything I thought before. Good Luck and I will be watching CNN.

January 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. spot-on

I'm thrilled Piers Morgan was chosen, he is a great down-to-earth interviewer with no holes barred. Good luck Piers.

January 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rojawi

"no holes barred" hahaha! good one!

January 25, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Kevin Casey

Morgan is really a great choice. He has that irony, just short of sarcasm that keeps his guests off guard. Aslo unflabbable–and can laugh at himself when they shoot back. He always seems to ask a question you never expected. Treats them as equals, never fawningly. It's a mistake to show any reverence for most of these celebs. Ricky Gervais said as much.
    Don't know who might do the job better.

January 23, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Mike h

Wow 2-3 people we care nothing about. GOP needs to give us better options. And stop talking about Palin. She will never get my vote.... The Democrats want her to run.... they know she will lose... heck we all know she will lose!!!1

January 24, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. lf

The GOP needs some very big investors right now. Everyone knows Oprah bought Obama's presidency with her massive contributions. Does the GOP have an Oprah? Not yet......

January 24, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rojawi

Goldman Sachs and the Koch brothers can outspend Oprah hands down.

January 25, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. tom

how many times can rudy guilianni say "obama care"? this interview should be a drinking game. it would be less painful.

January 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. brenda

finally, a show that isn't full of sound bites! the in-depth interviews rival meet the press!

January 24, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. mandy

To listen to tonight’s interview with Rudy was one of the most disturbing interviews I have seen recently. Wake up Rudy! it is embarrassing to hear you talk like this. This is how those whom believe media is their source of truth and information would believe whatever they hear from some form of authority on TV. Shame !! This man actually said more than one time that the group he supports now "Mojahedine" who is working for power in Iran (another fanatic religion group hated by ALL Iranian) is good for Iran. Rudy and your politician friends should realize that being dined and wined by another militant religion group whom were are WELL known to people of this country for decades are not good for people of this country. They may be a tool for US to overturn this power in IRAN. But make no mistake as you made just like in Afghanistan where US trained and assisted enemy to Afghanistan just to overturn them and start their own fights against USA. Does history teach you people anything at all?? Mojahedien have been hated by ALL Iranians for their unsuccessful attempt to take over Iran where thousands of people got killed. If Mojahedien try to take over Iran, even me, an educated person (non-religious) would bare arm to fight Mojahedian if I am asked to. Rudy says the only people who hates Mojahedian (which has ties with other terrorist groups in Afghanistan, Pakistan and …….) are Iranians. Isn’t that enough that a nation that has to put up with their policy and rules hate them from the get go?? This hatred comes from not only Iranians living currently in Iran but 99.99% of educated Iranians living around the world!! However, if any of you politicians ever wondered why US is the subject of rejection and anger around the worlds, realistically they should look at the fact their 99% of time, their involvements are not humanistic but financially motivated. The anger some politicians like Rudy buy for the entire nation comes from some stupid interviews they have in talk shows like this one. Please stop sleeping in the same bed with IRAN's enemies that being the current regime and Mojahedin. Why don't you encourage getting ride of this regime and replacing them with a political system like US? But what can I expect from someone who thinks Sara Palin should be his VP??!! I rest my case

January 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sharrie

Mojahedin are the most admired opposition group by both Iranian inside and outside IRAN. They are our ONLY hope to replace the fanatic regime of mullah's. Where the hell are you ( MANDY) coming from?
      Mojahedin have exposed the nuclear ambitions/secrets of the mullah's regime. Thousands of theirs supporters are in jail or has been executed. Amnesty internatioanl, UN human rights has condemned the barbaric treatments of MEK opposition group.

January 26, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. celt

Giulliani is too flip and he never learnbed from his debacle in 2008! In italiano he is called a chiachirone! Look it up Rudy, caro mio you lknow you paesan no matter! how much you try you can't fool any of us! Capo spacchato!

January 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. MikeM

Bla-Bla-Bla Giuliani ....please just go to one of your homes somewhere and be quiet!

January 25, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. MikeM

"The bigger the bonuses on Wall St, the more money I have to spend on poor people"........?

January 25, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. rojawi

I just watched 15 minutes of your interview with Giuliani. Piers, you are just as shallow as Larry King, but with a more mellifluous voice. You were completely inadequate to deal with the lies and evasions of Giuliani. I suggest that you do your homework, ask relevant questions and then insist that your guest answer them. Then I might start watching again.

January 25, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. gerryk

Watching a bit of the Piers Morgan Tonight interview with Rudi Guiliani. Mr. Rudi always has a lot to say. Mostly about himself. Also 9/11. One would almost think that it it weren't for those blasted terrorists, Rudi would be an absolutely nobody. Hard to believe this guy apparently was Anti-War during the Vietnam era, and I think voted for McGovern over Nixon. But I digress. I wonder why anyone gives him credit, given that this fellow spent something like 66 million dollars–luckily not his own money–to get 1 delegate in the 2010 Republican campaign. Apparently some kind of political record. But not the kind to brag about. Hardly someone whose opinions and prognostications would be taken seriously. Wayda Go Rudi....do you ever think 9/11 was the best thing that ever happened to your non career in politics?

January 25, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. gerryk

Apologies Rudi. I meant you spent 66 million dollars of mostly other people's money to get 1 delegate during the 2008 Republican Primary Season. Not 2010. But I bet if you had run in 2010, you would be one of the few GOP types to loose. The rest of my comments stand. If Rudi Guliani's views are relevant...lets bring back Harold Stassen. He did much better than Rudi over many Republican primary seasons. Maybe if we all contributed for a statue of Rudi near Ground Zero, perhaps in front of that proposed mosque, maybe he'd leave us all alone. Retire Rudi, and try to mend fences with your children and family and exwife. Don't run again, and face the humiliation of being beaten by Sarah Palin, and maybe getting no delegates for 100 million of other peoples money. Youre just not a good political bet Rudi. Can it. Leave us all in peace.

January 25, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. I am a celebrity get me out of here

How quickly people forget or when the danger passes write off the heroes.
    Rudy was a hero and regardless of the negativity some people heap on him, to me he always will be.
    When the 'going got tough' he did not shie away and strode forward and fearlessly did his best which is all one can expect from another human being..
    Good luck to you mate.
    Lest we forget?

January 25, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mandy

Hero?? Hero?? why is Rudy a hero? are you saying that anyone else in his position at the time would have sat around in a classroom and continued reading the Bunny Rabit children story to kids and would have not done his job???!!

Come on..............he is no hero. Real heros are those who made a choice to go into the buildings to help others. Real Heros are those who suffered years after of cancer and other health problems beacuse people like Rudy refused to do their outmost best to pay for their health care problems. Really let's look somewhere else for heros of 911 and stop him from feeding his face off 911.

January 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Kentor

What a brave post, and so meaningful to me. My foestr daughter grew up in an abusive home. She is now expecting a child and my greatest concern is that she is going to repeat the patterns from her childhood. I am going to print your post and give it to her. She can break the cycle, and she wants to, but she has to take steps to do it. I hope your post will inspire her and motivate her. And blessings to you for what you have done in your own life to break the cycle.

July 31, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  28. Sebastian

I use to have a lot of respect for Giuliani but what the hell is he doing working with Mojahedin?......seriously

January 25, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. katrina bayonas

Piers, why did you let Giuliani get away with repeating that old myth that the American healthcare system is the best in the world and that anyone with a problem can go the emergency room? As far as I know, the emergency room doesn´t provide ongoing treatment for cancer or any other cronic disease and if one of the 30 million uninsured are diagnosed with any of these ills, they either go bankrupt trying to heal or die.

January 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gema

The news business is less about news and ragints than it is about propaganda. CNN maintains its programming schema not because it makes money, or enhances reputations, its because those who back the network know its primary mission is to provide a platform to disseminate a specific message. No chance CNN changes at this point. Morgan will remain as long as he can provide soundbites that motivate the core of the US Democrat party. The best recent example is the press coverage given by CNN to a relatively small, well funded Democrat party exercise called Occupy Wallstreet. A brazen attempt by Soros and Axelrod to motivate the youth in the US to get motivated in this election season. CNN led the charge in publicizing it. Propaganda organ for the Left is CNN's mission statement.

June 27, 2012 at 6:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. i am a celebrity get me out of here

Yes he was a hero and I will stand my assertion.
    Reminds me of another hero Winston Churchill who was ceremoniously 'dumped' once he was of no further use.
    Without him at the helm in UK while Britain was waiting to see if and when the US deemed to enter World War Two, it might have been another ending to the story
    No not all Leaders rise to the calling.
    It is blatantly obviously by the present day plight of the US that the 'new' man' in charge is as inept as the previous one.
    It takes more than being able to talk the talk. One must at a moment's notice be able always to walk the walk..
    Regardless, I believe Rudy was/is a man of courage and by his actions on 9/11 he rightfully has earned his 'place in the sun'.

January 26, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. sharrie

Thank you Piers for this wonderfl interview..........
    Finally CNN is opening its eyes to mention/talk about MEK organization as the BEST hope for free and democratic IRAN.
    thank you mayor Juliani for your wonderful insight...
    Piers should interview MEK charismatic leader MRs Rajavi

January 26, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Ann Jones

I saw the interview with Mr. Morgan and Mayor Guiliani. The Mayor says he is against the health care bill...what he does not understand is that at least 25% of the people in our country are without health care and they are bankrupting our public hospitals. In Texas and Arkansas over 30% of the people cannot afford health and when they get ill they go to the emergency room for care. Some of them die there as it takes hours and sometimes days to be treated. In Texas there are public and private hospitals. People without insurance go to public hospitals. If we bankrupt the public hospitals then we will start having epidemics and other tragedies that will break our county. Do not repeal the health care law....make changes to it and improve it. Our governmental leaders have paid insurance and just do not know what it is to not have it. A modest policy is costing me $800 a month and I am going to have to drop it. I will just pray I don't get sick enough to die.

January 26, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Aren

Piers is not bad. But Larry King was probably better and warmer. PM is too British upper class. Prefer the US drawl.
    As for Guliani and Palin they should not be taken seriously. Maybe Huckabee and Romney.

January 26, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Joe P.

Piers is one of the worst interviewers I have ever seen. I don't know how he got this gig.
    He cuts off the interviewee EVERY time. he asks a question and doesn't even let the interviewee finish the answer before he cuts him/ her off with the next question. seems like he is constantly thinking or anticipating the questions without even listening to the answers.
    Piers watch others like Larry King, Conan, Howard Stern etc. and learn. if you actually let the other person speak you might just do fine.
    The best example is the interview with Rudy Juliani. Piers cut him off EVERY time. watch it and you'll see what I'm talking about. there's nothing worse than listening to the interviewee speak about something very interesting only to have the interviewer cut him/ her off after a few seconds.
    Piers sucks!

January 27, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Ashtoonyville

Piers is horrible. Can CNN not get anyone better than him?

January 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Marc

Rudy Guiliani knows damn nothing about history and about anything going on outside his door,,, he is pure INDIOT

February 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Marc

2012 if the Retard Sarah Palin runs for a peresident and the Moron Rudy Guiliani runs as well !!! Our Country will be run by bunch of deadhead ppl with deadhead agenda ... its truly pathetic .....

February 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Manin

baccaratbargaineq on November 22, 2010 Want to boost your site sales?Adding an Affiliate system to your site is the best solotiun,The GAS system is the best overall,Because unless you are a master in php language you won't be able to install other aff systems,GAS-AFFILIATEdotCOM is where it's at.

June 30, 2012 at 7:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Yentle

A Noun, A Verb, and 911, is all Guilliani knows. He uses 911 to make money, gain power and get publicity. He was still a lousy Mayor on his way out of office when 911 hit. Other than a lot of press interviews, he's done nothing. He certainly does not deserve to be President just because some planes hit his city. All human lives are special no matter what city they live in.

February 7, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. lydia ruiz

he talks big about putting more emphasis on the corporate sector in order to help the economy... how many more stories do we need to hear about big corporate CEOs banking millions at our expense... or medication prices based on high profit for insurances and pharmacy companies.. this is what rudy want to get back to?

June 3, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Sameer

Gastroenterologist would be the field that I don't think interests me very much. The steduis, diagnosis, treatment, and disorders of the stomach and intestines is not something that I am completely grossed out by. I think the field I want to go back to is Orthopedics. I worked for an Orthopedic knee surgeon and loved it. I was the receptionist there but I was still allowed to go into the rooms and learn from the Medical Assistant and the Doctor. I would like to now go back as a Medical Assistant and Medical coder because I think with all the knowledge I have now it would help the patients more and this is exciting for me.

June 27, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse | Reply