Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 24th, 2011

Rudy Giuliani gives his prediction for the 2011 Yankees... and Piers Morgan

Rudy Giuliani is interviewed on "Piers Morgan Tonight" at 9pmET/PT, and he tells Piers Morgan he may be more likely to run for President in 2012 if Sarah Palin does too.

In a green room Q&A after the interview, Giuliani gave his take on the state of the New York Yankees...and the state of Piers Morgan at CNN.

"We're going to need a pitcher," said Giuliani. "As a Yankee fan, I'm nervous."

As for Piers' future at CNN, Giuliani was a little less nervous: "A very probing interview, wonderful engaging personality, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't succeed."

Giuliani also gave his take on how to get Piers to stop with all the cricket conversation – take a trip to Yankee Stadium. "He can come with me, the biggest expert on baseball," he said.

Check out the interview tonight on "Piers Morgan Tonight" at 9pmET/PT

Post by:
Filed under: Green Room
  1. Grant

What the hell does Giuliani ACTUALLY know about the Yankees, the man's busy as hell I don't think he's doing an in depth look into our farm system or anything...

January 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Smitty

I want to like Piers' show; however, he seems intent on asking all his questions without letting the person answer the questions. For example, with Giuliani, Piers asked how the U.S. could save money and before Giuliani finished with his answer, Piers started asking him about Wall Street. He has done the same with other interviews. I would like to hear what they have to say. Piers needs to wait until the question has been answered and then go to another question without interrupting the interviewee.

January 24, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Noella J. Bair-Platt

I fully agree with comments saying that Piers is liked but he is always asking other questions before his guest is done answering. It is very rude. Piers, I remember you mentioning that you appreciated the Americans being curteous. How about you?.............I do like you, I do not like the superficial light boring questions at times. I watched Larry King every nite and I am trying to do the same with you. Right now, it is a bit hard.

January 25, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lorraine

I think Piers is trying too hard to be another Bill O'Riley. He wants to be the star and constantly interrupts his guests. If I wanted that type of an interview I would be watching Fox News. What's next? Could it be books and t-shirts with his name on them..............

January 25, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. CNN Fan

I agree with Smitty. Also, Piers seems more interested in impressing whomever he is interviewing...he did this a lot with Oprah and Sec. Rice. I don't know how much longer I will watch... Piers comes off as a snob!

January 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Anne McNeff

I watched all your interviews and this one was too soft.....Rudy was a cad when he mentioned he was leaving his wife, for his present wife....who chased him until he caught her....she is an opportunist. He has a terrible relationship with his 2 children because of this...HE IS THROUGH POLITICALLY.....this mess will always arise. I am disappointed in this interview. But liked all the others....

January 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. john kneeland

Who does Guiliani think he's kidding with his bragging about the American health care system? He may fool Americans who have never lived anywhere else. His statement that emergency rooms are the safety net for uninsured people is ridiculous. Try getting cancer treatment if you don't have insurance.

Piers asked him why he ignores the Congressional Budget Office estimate that the Democrats' health care reforms will in the long run save money by reducing the huge amount of Americans forced to use emergency rooms to get medical care. Guiliani replied that if you put bad information into the CBO you get bad information out.

Well, the CBO is not a computer, Mr. Guiliani. It's a set of assorted analysts more knowledgeable than you. Don't pretend to undertsand the methodology behind what you call "Obamacare." Piers could have slice and diced you over your lack of knowledge of the British health care system.

January 25, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. john vitale

PLEASE READ THIS SIR- I know about getting health ins in the state of N.H., I can tell u how he lies, sur you can go to the emergency room to get treated for an emergency, but for anything else, they will give u treatment if it is immediately neccessare, but then refer you to go see a doctor, and that is when you are denied. In N.H. you have to qualify for health ins., I was denied at the age of 53 from Blu Cross Blue shield because i told them i was taking blood pressure pills(sounds like existing health problem to me, though a minute one, for i asked to be on them). I was paranyoid and thought i would be back to work isoon so i found a health ins company to insure me, it cost me about $7,000 and I had a $10,000 deductable, now ask Rudy if US has better health coverage that the UK , or any other industrial nation. He is a sick man

January 25, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mahilena

Can't believe that Morgan interviews rudy a republican without the proper balanced opposition from a democrat, this is happening more and more on CNN bringing republicans to advanced their agenda without opposition, everyone knows that Health Care will reduce costs and be paid by itself...Juliani starts making the statements the plan is going to cost more without any opposition or even Morgan playing the devil's advocate....I do not see Morgan's professionalism at all he seems to be preocupied with his ratings and what the guest thinks instead of doing true debunking journalism I donot think I will be watching his show or any CNN shows that only brings one side of the political spectrum

January 25, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. pen

Yep Piers interrupts his guests too frequently and always just as they are about to finish a point. V. Frustrating...

January 25, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jan Maguire

I appreciate Piers Morgan's great choice of interviewees. However, I have one really big negative comment ... Piers keeps interrupting his guests. Honestly, if I were a guest, I think I might have lost it ... seems like Piers does a lot more talking himself, cuts off his guests. Right in the middle of a comment. I hope he will back off a little and let his guests finish their thoughts. He asks the questions, but doesn't let them finish...

January 25, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. john

I was disappointed Piers gave Giuliani a pass on several occasions; for example when discussing the threat of Iraq and justification for the war. Iraq was never thought to have near operational nuclear capabilities let alone nuclear weapons at that time. Maybe biological or chemical but not nuclear.

Politicians stating with impunity that everyone thought Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and was an immediate threat based on intelligence reports has got to be challenged. There seem to little remorse for the 100,000 of thousands that have died as a result of the war. It would be hard to find anyone in Iraq that feels they are better today than before the war. Many homes do not have basic electricity and water to this day.

In case Mr. Giuliani in not aware of this, the Afghani government is bringing the Taliban into the "peace process". They are no longer view in the same light as Al-Qaeda and it seems clear the Taliban will be in Afghanistan long after we are gone.

Perhaps Piers needed to do a bit more preparation

January 25, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Sarah

A favorite phrase among Republicans is "America has the best health care in the world". Statistics do not bear this out – ever. America is like #37.

Do some quick homework and you will see life expectancy in the US is poor considering it is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. I would agree with the phrase "If cost is no issue, you can get the best healthcare in this world here in America". That is a big IF.

January 25, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Kay

Enjoyed the interview. Piers outshines Larry as an interviewer.

January 25, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Brian Howland

I think you do a great job interviewing people. Love the show. Rudy Giuliani is either ignorant or flat out lied about our health care system. One of our most expensive health care problems is poor people going to Emergency rooms for routine health care. Many hospitals have just about gone bankrupt trying to care for them. Many smaller towns have lost their Trauma centers because of this. It is a major problem.

January 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Marjan Lugtigheid

Piers,
    Take some lessons from Larry King, THE KING of talk shows. He never never ever interrupted his guests while they answered his questions. Isn't that the reason you aks your guests to come on the show. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS????????????????? Stop interrupting your guests. I'm sure your mother taught you this very important lesson – DO NOT INTERRUPT someone while they are talking. By they way, up until now I have watched every show and enjoyed most of them.

January 26, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Deziree

When Piers Morgan was speaking to Rudy Gulliana about the squabbling over debt ceiling bill: Piers referring to worry and trouble for other countries asked RG about that and he said: we are a democracy, they will have to get over it.
    Or to that affect. Totally unaware of real life for people. Like rooting at a ball game while the school is burning across town. So what. What a dick.

August 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Beano

Rudy spoke of the men that died on 9/11 but excluded women. It was just an unconscious mistake but a revealing one.

August 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply