Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 28th, 2011

Piers Morgan anchors Egypt coverage: "President Mubarak is clearly not going to go without a fight"

Piers Morgan anchored his first live "Piers Morgan Tonight" – covering the crisis in Egypt.

Talking to CNN correspondents Nic Robertson and Ben Wedeman, on the ground in Egypt, viewers got updates on the condition on the ground, the reaction to Pres. Mubarak's speeches and more. Here's a clip. More coming...

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Anthony

This broadcast clearly demonstrates the CNN made a grave mistake. Piers is not a journalist by any stretch of the imagination. He actually is awful and it gets worse night by night....and it's so offensive that CNN could not find an American journalist to fill this job. I mean what kind of message does that send to Americans who can't find work...hire some arrogant, unqualified, non-US-citizen to fill an important job. Way to alienate your American audience CNN. Piers will be gone soon, if not, CNN will be gone soon.

January 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

You're telling me. I could only stomach to watch this Piers Morgan guy one last time to give him a chance. He's awful and so was the Obama basher he had with him as his guest. Larry, please come back out of retirement!

January 29, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • William Condie

The last thing we need is yet ANOTHER commentator covering Egypt. We're running our of talking heads.

Stick to your celeb interviews, Piers. I want to see Frith

January 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

Ditto from up here in Canada. We have spent the past two weeks trying to figure out all of the points you have just made. WHO put him into that job ... HOW did you get it ... WHAT did he do to get it ... or was it a huge PLOY to prove that NOBODY could ever fill Larry's shoes? Hope someone uncovers the mystery soon. It is just too painful to watch him die a slow, embarrassing stage death ... we found the whole thing quite unpatriotic and downright insulting to take him on for that gig. It appears that he fancies himself another David Frost or something - how has he managed to fool so many for so long ... methinks the jig is up at last!

January 31, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack

I hope he is gone SOON with his taped shows that are like food in the grocery store "best before" or "sell before".

January 31, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. samer kseibi, MD

Mr. Morgan, Democracy to the middle east is coming, we are educated and smarter. in many ways the condition in there is due to USA and the west helping these dictators to rule secretly because it is easier for you to control with divided middle east ruled by dictators who say yes .. take a message : we will have democracy, we will be better, we will not let extremists to rule because we do not like them, we do not believe in them, we believe in Muslims and Christians building our countries.... so know that... do not be afraid ? the baby ISRAEL will be forced to peace and because the cannot and will not stand in front democratic middle east.... that is how every Arabic person think... tell your gust that

January 29, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • gpw

Lets try and help Piers out with an original angle on the unrest in Egypt. How about commenting on the US just printing dollars whenever it is in a crunch and labeling it "stimulating the US economy". The net result is that the irresponsible actions of the US when it comes to is political and financial policies is having a devastating effect on Africa. After all, everything is connected. If you want excess in one part of the world, you will have shortages in another part. Twitter and Facebook seems to have become a more trustworthy source of information than CNN. I think America should focus on its own internal policies and problems before trying to 'help' the rest of the world

January 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. samer kseibi

sorry for the typos 😉

January 29, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Sally

I am so disappointed in the views of the CNN correspondents tonight. The folks I highly respected are using words such as "huge problem", "will get worse", "what will happen to US interests", "this will be another Iran"...
    How do we claim to lead the world in democracy yet when it's happening in the most profound and powerful way in front of our eyes we can only see "our interests"? what message are we really sending to the people of the world? how genuine are we? or is our version of democracy that we hope for as it to keep oppressive leaders we can control in power?
    We need to wake up now and show true leadership of the PEOPLE in the middle east! if we choose any side other than leading the people in a genuine and authentic way then our fears will become true. The people are waiting and hoping to the US to support them ... THEN and only then will THEY SUPPORT THE US by choosing people that reflect their desire to have a better life. However, if we as Americans continue to show a double face by talking and preaching democracy yet support dictators then the people will turn against us and elect those who hate us.
    IT"S ABOUT WINNING THE PEOPLE'S HEARTS! so let's get started on that now and pray for God to help us with the rest instead of using negative words to describe the most amazing event that has happened in the middle east since I've been alive!
    Sally

January 29, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Susan Orman

Love the new anchor, Piers Morgan!! Not in love with the backdrop – boring!! I don't miss Larry King, but I do miss the strong "New York" lights etc. backdrop. My Husband had to tell me that Piers's show was the replacement for Larry King. I thought it looked "cheap" not a #1 show.Too bright backdrop – not serious enough.
    Regards,
    S

January 29, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Be Honest

your guest want to see this resolved in one way or another!!!!!!!! shame,,, does that tell me she does not care about the freedom that she brags about? all what she cares about that extremists do not rule but she is ok with moubarak ruling and taking liberty

January 29, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. samer kseibi

Freedom of speech, vise president said that Moubarak is not a Dictator.please? Define a dictator Mr Biden? I will go ahead and appoint myself as a senator and head of a senate or a president without or with a falsified election so are you going to be OK with me? I will advise you to read history and open any dictionary.

January 29, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Refreshing coverage I can actually watch

I have a hard time watching most coverage because it's either too extreme or it says nothing that appeals to a critical thinker. Piers pleasantly surprised me. Here's real time coverage that actually provides some commentary on the perspectives of all sides. I wasn't sure that Piers would make the jump and I have to say, I will be looking forward to more political coverage from Mr. Morgan. Bravo CNN! For all those folks complaining about hiring a Brit, well why not? Plenty of Americans are employed abroad by foreign countries, be fair.

January 29, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. rita cristina, switserland

It's 9.30 a.m CET and I did't watched the programm. Is this a discussion about Mr. Morgan's work or about democracy in the Arab World?
    I like Mr. Morgan because he listens to his guest and, when he speeks, I CAN UNDERSTAND him.
    Yesterday, and in many others instances, I had this problems with a female anchor, I presume American, on the air with Hala Gorani.
    I think that international audiance should be able to understand the Anchor. Mr. Blitzer shouts all the time, Mr. Clancy is perfect. Mr. Holmes speaks sometime very quickly but I understand him.
    I personally do not miss Mr. King he was more interested in asking his question then to really listen and asking questions about the topic discussed at that particular moment.
    I have no idea who Mr. Morgan is, besides beeing polite, well educated, experianced and English. He speaks English not American. And he is not not arrogant.
    Maybe he is too sofisticated for someone. He is different, that's the difference.
    As a European myself, speaking five languages, I consider myself openminded.
    Are the negative comments becuse he is too good, this is my opinion.
    How many American journalists dare to go to Europe in the same position Mr. Morgan is?
    today, the world is faceing more difficult problems then this. let's work together to solve them.Together.
    rita cristina

January 29, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • linda Levey

Are we watching the same program? Piers was rude and interrupted both his guests tonight, Prince Pahlavi, and Dan Rather, numerous times. His interviewing style is to ask a question and then answer it himself. His arrogance is breathtaking. I have watched the Kardashian interview, the Howard Stern interview, and the Rick Gervais interview. It's all about Piers. He did a much better job in his interview of Susan Boyle, which he did not do live...the problem was I could hardly understand a word Ms. Boyle said. Bottom line: Piers needs to let his guests finish their sentences before he pounces on them.

January 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. David Irwin

Morgan began his career writing for tabloids for Rupert Murdoch who brings us FOX News and he clearly still holds those views. His guests make politically motivated, uninformed comments on foreign policy and Morgan either does not want to point out that they are making statements which are untrue or he doesn't know enough to know. The problem with Morgan is not his nationality, but his trying to cover important news stories without personal political prejudice or any real knowledge of the facts and the issues. One of this guests on the Egypt coverage said President Obama had made statements supporting Moubarak which were NEVER MADE – this guy named Richard something was making anti-Obama political attacks which had no foundation in fact. No challenge from Morgan. By choice, Morgan's a pop culture creature and CNN should keep him there or jeopardize their own credibility.

January 29, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lynn

While it might be necessary to cover breaking news it was a little sickening to see CNN change programs etc just to show the same news clips and so called journalists that had been on all day about Egypt. Not one word from Mr. Morgan about the program that was advertised all week to be on and which many of us wanted to see. Nor any word about if/when it would be rescheduled!! Just boring repeats of the same film snips and self serving reporters saying the same things over and over again...Nice way for CNN and Morgan to insult viewers.

January 29, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tony

LYNN.....REALLY???? this is a historic world changing event happening in Egypt that is unfolding and changing by the minute and will impact the entire world and world history....and you're worried about some "previously scheduled show" GET A LIFE !! Look up from you People magazine and see what's happening in the world....what an ignoramus you are (I'm sure you'll have to look up ignoramus in the dictionary).

January 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Marcelle Duguay

Bravo Piers. I love his clear questions and the way he follows the story. I can understand, and we can all follow.

January 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Randon Arney

Piers is doing great. As he gets more and more use to how his show works best it will get better and better. Much better than Larry, he was getting horrible to even watch for 5 minutes. I was able to meet him in a flight yesterday morning and he was very friendly and respectable. Keep up the good job Piers.

January 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mark

Piers Morgan's show is excellent. Great preparation and topical approach. One comment-get more guests. Having the Osteens for an hour was painful. We all knew what they would say to any question after the first twenty minutes. I had to turn it off. Some guests (Howard Stern) can carry an hour; a lot cannot. Larry's producers knew who could and who couldn't.

January 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. donna elias

Waited a week to see Colin Firth on Piers Morgan. There was coverage of the Egyptian events on all news channels 24/7 and therefore no reason to have even more overcoverage on Piers Morgan's show, which is NOT supposed to be a hard news venue. So no Colin Firth interview and absolutely no information on when it might be broadcast. I'm done with Piers Morgan and fed up with CNN due to their crappy ha ndling of this. Whose idea was it to force Piers Morgan down our throats as a hard journalist??? CNN could at least have a big banner headline on their site informing us as to when we might be able to finally catch the Colin Firth program.

January 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Sherry

Piers, I thought you did brilliantly on your show about the breaking news in Egypt.
    It was essential to cover that story. I hope whatever develops there is good for the Egyptian people.
    I do very much want to see the Colin Firth interview when the time is right.
    Keep up your excellent work.

January 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ahmed Abdi , Columbus, Ohio

Well Done! CNN is now CNN-the CNN that brought down former dictators of Eastern Europe.Your live broadcasts from the middle East reminds me the momantum and the imprtance of the 90s CNN despatches from Baqdad..Thk you .

January 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. chris

GOD WRATH AGAINS MAN KIND there are no more judges that judges with rightousness and they all went astray
    Romans 1:21-27 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like the corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

January 29, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. elton john

Romans cptr 1 vs 27Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

January 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Katrina Ross

Piers morgan is a terrific addition to CNN and a great choice for the 9 p.m. slot. I love him. He is very well-rounded, intelligent, articulate, does not interrupt his guests, and has a sense of humor. He's a keen and respectful observer of American culture and does his homework. Well done, Piers ! Please stay at CNN.

January 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Andre

Mr. Morgan is very good. When do we see Colin Firth on his show?

January 30, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Tawanda

It's Mubarak today let's hope the people of Zimbabwe gain hope in the possibilities that that country being free of Mugabe and his band of tyrant thugs. People of Zimbabwe your day of freedom is close at hand.

January 30, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Armando Vera

If the Egyptians are clamoring for democracy then, amidst this coup, give them the democracy they desire! They too are humans and, like us, deserve every unalienable right we claim as ours, right? ...just don't let them burn down Cairo while they're at it...

January 30, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Cheryl

Thank you, Piers, for asking why the Egyptian people fought the police and yet welcomed the military with open arms. I wondered about that all day Friday and no one except you seemed to be inclined to find an answer. For that alone I would give you high marks even if I hadn't been totally impressed with the rest of your coverage of the story, which I was. I think you're a keeper.

January 30, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Carol

Lynn makes a good point. People tune in to the show for entertainment. There are plenty of news broadcasts all day that keep us informed and Piers Morgan is near the bottom of the list of reliable news sources. Despite the 24 news coverage on television on various channels, I'm sure there are still plenty of ignoramuses who do depend on Piers for breaking news.

January 30, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. HelenHull102951

As far as the story about Pres. Mubarak goes, that's the people of Egypt's problem... Or maybe the C.I.A. will arrange an accident to happen or use a hired gun to solve this problem, like President Kennedy... Nothing would surprise anymore, how ever they deal with the problem that's their disition and not our bussiness... American gov keep your nose out of it before you get another war started!!!

January 31, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. barbara baxter

I love "Piers Morgan Tonight!" Now, I hope Piers will interview Ellen Degeneres, especially about the dark period after she came out and was banished from TV, and about her miraculous comeback. I am not gay, but I admire her so much and have learned so much from her about TOLERANCE for others who may be DIFFERENT from me! Keep up the good work, Piers and CNN! (Love Ted Turner, too! – how about interviewing HIM?)

January 31, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Nana Brown

Well done CNN you found Piers Morgan a true gem.

Shame, on Mubarik and his regime and all regimes in North Africa and the Middle East have long been supported by the western powers who thought that it was in their right to fill there pockets and abuse the people they represent, shame on United States and England for supporting corrupt leaders like Mubaraik, Zardari, Karzi and others. We invaded Panama and pulled out Noriega for much less crimes against humanity in .
    We have been hearing from years that Egypt as a repressive police state. Like Tunisia and Morocco it has long been put forward as a nice place in which to take a holiday. We have used a compliant Egyptian administration to give Israel a peaceful border to the South West. Our governments have chosen to trade with these nations knowing full well the truth behind the facade that is presented to the tourist but the hidden secretes will be shameful for our nations. It is little wonder that the ordinary people of these nations feel betrayed by the so called democracies of the west. It is little wonder that some of them end up drawn into the ranks of terrorist organisations.
    The poor Egyptians in particular, they had a revolution and got rid of King Farouk who had been supported and put in office by successive British governments but a few decades down the road they find that they have swapped one exploitative regime for another – they were robbed of their freedom yet again, this time by their own native politicians. We planting a corrupt King in Iran mollycoddling the corrupt king in Saudi Arabia. (no direct descended of any Prophets)The corrupt King of Iran fell and dyed in Egypt, the Saudi Arabia is a corrupt police state and the kingdom of Saudi is sitting on shifting sand.
    A bit like the Irish really who managed to get the British out of most of the country only to find that they too had swapped one lot of exploitative British rulers for another lot of exploitative rulers but this time home grown Irish. Hence the awful mess that they are now in and for which the ordinary lesser folk again will have to pay. As is usual in these cases those who gave their lives in the fights for freedom were in general drawn from the very ranks of those who are subsequently oppressed and find themselves one way or another paying the price.
    Israel was given land by the British and American that was not there's to give but to keep an ongoing conflicts between the Jewish and the Muslim people. What is all this hypocritical corruption all about? Would it not have been cheaper and safer to have given the State of Florida,Delaware or the city of London instead? The Arab Jewish people got along with the Arab Muslim people, the European Jewish people get along with the British and Americans.
    Is billion of our tax dollars keeping us any safer protecting an occupied land thousand of miles away?
    Should we not be befriending the people in the Middle East ? Mubarik is a desperate 85 year old man who's days are numbered. Botoxed or dyed hair or what ever.

Strange how history keeps repeating itself....repeating itself....repeating itself... when do we wake up and learn ?

January 31, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Nancy of NY

Lynn and Carol
    There are other people in this world beside the few that need to be entertained. What happen is one part of the world effects us all of us in case you did not notice. There will be nothing entertaining when we have to pay $5 -$10 at our gas pumps. Ouch! it's a global world.

January 31, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. aguizi

Mubarak has been your ally and had your support for 30 years, you can't just turn out on him when everyone is against him!...
    i've been anti-mubarak since the day i was born, but he still is my president Egypt is his responsibility and not yours!
    you can't turn against him and force him to step away for he hasn't abandoned his country and ran away from his people
    Egypt belongs to the Egyptians and they so can take care of their country it's their business not yours and all you can do is STAY OUT OF IT.
    being on the right side of history is to support the people and you're already doing a great job using the media, i think that is support enough and you can't physically take any actions against either Mubarak nor the People.

And i think that Mubarak is leaving he knows that... he has no intention to stay as the acting president anymore. For the first time in a 30 years he's assigned a vice president and a whole new government..... kind of telling the people that he is leaving but he's not going to run away and leave the country to burn with no one in charge!

Simply it's anyone's business to decide what's best for Egypt but the Egyptians ONLY.

January 31, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Pete Mitchell

I am stunned that Morgan would have the Shah of Iran's son on his show to give insight into the Egyptian situation. Hey, you were part of a cruel inhuman dictatorial regime propped up by the US which was overthrown by a popular uprising, you must have some interesting insights into this whole Egypt thing. Wow, you support the uprising? That is so wierd because your father was a mass murderer who didn't care about human rights at all. You are so cool. I'm an idiot.

January 31, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. PIERSedOff

Piers " It seems to me whatever measley mouth (sic) words come out of the Whitehouse" Please CNN, how could you give Piers a national forum to bash our president.

January 31, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Auri

I thought Piers' use of the word "measly" to describe White House comments was totally inappropriate and unprofessional. Exactly what we need...a national forum conducted by a foreigner who incites people against the government of the country where he is currently making lots of money,

February 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Les Gumbiner

The comments made by cnn report from Egypt, bad mouthed comments coming from the Whitehouse. who gives these forign correspondents the gall to question our government. why not bad mouth the royal family.

January 31, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Nancy

I'm an Egyptian woman and I love President Mubarak! He is a great leader, our hero and he is our Father. Yes, the people in Egypt deserve a better life, but it must be done slowly and peacefully. We need to give Mubarak and his new cabinet some time. He has started to improve things and we have to wait and give him sometime to do so. He has already proven that he is willing to listen to the people’s demands and is working to implement it. The Egyptian people have spoken and have said that we do not want the Islamic group and the brotherhood and their leader El baradei. El baradei is a trader and does not represent the Egyptian people. Even if a million protesters show up today against Mubarak, there is another 85 million people that still support Mubarak. Please listen to the Egyptian TV to see how much love they have for their president. If the president does not love his country and his people, he could be in London now enjoying himself. If he walks out now the country will fall in the hand of the terrorists and become another IRAN. We must support him and give him the time until the end of his presidency in November 2011.

February 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sally

Yes he seems to be far more popular than you would imagine by what you see on the news. I am living in Luxor and 99% of people here are for him. They are fearing the alternative, in particular an Islamic republic which will mean the end of tourism. Tourism is the life blood of this area. Now the planes are flying out full and flying back empty. The people here have no savings mostly and live from hand to mouth. Who will feed them now?

February 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Gail

Piers should stay with entertainment interviews. I felt is remarks about Egypt were not inapproriate for a news show. Anderson Cooper has more respect as a newsman.

February 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Ana

Seems like he can't win or lose here. If he does entertainment interviews, the critics abound and say he's not meant to be on CNN. If he attempts serious journalism...serious interviews, there is borderline contempt. . What's a guy to do? .. . .

February 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Riya

Prior drug use most likely will not eeffct a pregnancy later on in life. the life of the unborn baby can only depend on its mother and how she goes about her pregnancy. one more thing the only thing that might carry on to that baby is the chance for addiction to run through her genes. However you can not go through life worrying about what ifs or maybes think of it as God's special gift to her and also the world and enjoy every minute of it. Good luck with everything!

May 21, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. JOCELYN DUPREY

It was obvious to me last nite when you interviewed Israli pm .that you came in with an agenda. You were soooo anxious to get your point across you reminded me of a little kid sitting on the edge of your seat by cutting him off continiously & by trying to humiliate him into admitting that his sole job is to be the ONE to bring peace. iIt was like you were dauntig him into SUBMISSION. PM never flynched. WOW !!! It was hard to watch it was so apparent .

March 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Ludy

foundations how what accuracy is nedeed on getting them level?I am building a shed and am putting concrete slabs onto gravel in holes dug in hard clay soil, My question is how accurate does the level have to be does the level reading have to be is a few millimeters on a block ok or does it have to be dead level. I figured that the tiny level discrepancy will sort it self out once the foundations are loaded by the weight of the shed.My problem is I am a mechanical engineer and used to very accurate dimensions and i maybe over engineering the foundations rather than doing the necessary

May 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply