Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 17th, 2011

Colin Firth talks love scenes: "I like the idea of them" but "it's a very odd experience"

Tonight's long-awaited interview with Colin Firth and the cast of "The King's Speech" features a conversation between Firth and Piers Morgan about love scenes. "I like the idea of them," said Firth. But "it's a very odd experience to say the least."

Still, Firth describes the "only two circumstances where doing love scenes are exciting." The full interview airs tonight at 9pmET/PT (and the following day at 8pm UK/HK), which also features Oscar nominees Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter. Check out more details from the show here.

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Pamela Satchwell

When will this be aired in the UK ???

February 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Erika

Less than 3 hours to go. Here's hoping nobody gets the urge in some part of the globe for a democratic uprising in the next 4 hours.

The interview looks like it's going to be good – I can tell already! :)

February 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gale Hanley

Erica: I am with you on hoping that what looks good to happen will happen tonite finally. As I listen to the News here and there today I have to say I have been worried. I will fully believe it when I see it but from what I can see of the telecast, it should be a good one.

February 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristi

LOL!

February 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Kristi

I do pray for peace tonight in general...it is all very worrisome. I hope no one is injured or hurt tonight....

February 17, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erika

So said Gale and Kristi – it is very worrisome, and my prayers go out to those today who are suffering.

(I'm trying to sound my age and be a serious person who can maintain perspective on what really matters in life ... that being said, I still want to squeal like a giddy schoolgirl that Colin's finally on! squeal! ;) )

February 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. R

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one to go back and replay the glorious Mr. Firth saying "erotically" two or three (or five) times... *sigh* His wife is a lucky woman.

February 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ArchaicRevival

At first glance, I couldn't differentiate between the two of them haha

February 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. TJ

I love Colin Firth....Mr Darcy, anything he plays....including the fella in Mama Mia. I just adore him and his vulnerability.

February 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Brianne

He's a horrible kisser.

February 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnna

Do you have experience in that area? Every time I have seen him kiss, I have longed to be on the receiving end. I can't believe it could be bad. I mean, just look at him. It would have to be the absolute worst kiss to make me not want another from Colin.

February 18, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Marcus

I was wndering if they would get around to airing this before they had to re-shoot it as a post-Oscar victory party!

February 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Liz

Man when are they replaying this???? My DVR was full!!

February 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Catherine

To Brianna,
    Not in my dreams! He's fantastic!

February 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Linda

Piers, please stop cutting off your guest's replies!! Colin Firth is one of my all-time favorites and 15 minutes into watching this interview I'm already screaming – let the man complete his answers to your questions!!!!! It was annoying enough with previous guests, but this one is so dang frustrating!

February 17, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robbie

I was ready to punch PM. Why ask a question if you are not going to let the man answer. You cut every one of them off multiple times. I could understand if they were trying to go off topic, but they were trying to answere questions that PM asked. He was making me so mad. Awesome to see the three from TKS though, too bad Colin could barely talk. It hurt to watch him. Almost as bad as watching him struggle to speak as George VI. Still am very happy to finally see this air.

February 18, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mrs.Firth

I am a lucky gal. Sigh............

February 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jeannie

How anyone cannot differentiate between Piers Morgan and Colin Firth is beyond me

February 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robbie

My guess is that PM is convinced that he looks like Colin and Colin, being the accomodating guy he is, was just humoring him. I can't imagine anyone who knows anything about Colin would ever get the two confused. I think it is wishful thinking on PMs part.

February 18, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. tom

Piers Morgan needs to let his guests speak.....and not interrupt.
    We want to hear from them.
    He needs to leave his ego in the dressing room.

February 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeannie

Absolutely, I just love Helena Bonham Carter and she is so much more entertaining than Piers Morgan, she does so few interviews, it would be nice if he would let her finish a thought

February 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MissingLKING

Larry King's show had become boring and too soft, but Larry King, as an interviewer, was still the best. He listened and allowed his guests to speak. Piers Morgan is egotistical, too eager to hear his own voice. He interrupts his guests routinely. I watched his show once, and once is enough. No thanks. Bill Moyers, is another example of a great interviewer. No need to talk over your guests or try so hard to impress with your own supposed wit and charm. I find Piers Morgan annoying, and I won't be watching again.

February 19, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Susan

...sigh...loved him in Love Actually...watch it often...

February 17, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Richard & Marion

We thought it was a great interview both serious and funny. Really enjoying Piers Morgan think he is doing a great job.
    Thank you for showing it tonight.
    Do we really have to sit through Donald Trump?

February 17, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. nouya

Piers Morgan, you are incredibly attractive, are you single?

February 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Kristine Hall

I adore him as an actor, but I think he could have acknowledged Jane Austen and 'Pride and Prejudice" for his original fame. He should be proud of that film, as it was beautifully done and essentially true to the novel. He might be a nobody if it were not for that fabulous BBC production. I for one follow his career because of that film. And when he talked about actresses he had played love scenes with, Jennifer Ehle was not mentioned.
    In spite of this, I think he is a remarkable actor, and truly deserves the Oscar for "The King's Speech.' But he should not discount the importance of playing Darcy. It was not just a romantic comedy – it was a nuanced, rich performance of one of the most amazing characters ever created. It brought him the attention necessary to move forward.

February 18, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Josh Beutel

I give up! Enough already. Piers Morgan is such an arrogant poseur. He can't resist interposing himself and his self-image into any interview. Allow the guests to reveal themselves through their answers.

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. zoe walrond

Piers, please stop interrupting your interviewees. I know you want to move the program along but PLEASE. Let them finish a thought. Really frustrating as a viewer. I want a finished thought from all these wonderful people you're talking too. Much less interested in your next question and so much more interested in their finished thoughts!!!!

February 18, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. JMarie

Finallly! OMG! Colin Firth! Exquisite beyond belief! What a class act. Could any man be more perfect. He has it all.
    Looks, brains and class.. also humility..I have to say that Piers really goofed when he said Colin had taken Hugh Grant's place. Hugh Grant doesn't even come close to being in the same class as Colin Firth. No comparison can be made at all. I hope this interview is aired again for the sake of those who were not able to see it tonight and for those of us who can't get enough of Colin Firth. Che bel uomo!

February 18, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynn

Yes I agree...but I guess being a guy Mr. Morgan gets his types wrong!! Hugh Grant is sort of cute...but Colin Firth is very masculine looking and not the same type at all. And as for David Niven I really liked him too however he was more the Hugh Grant type. But as I say Morgan is a guy...what does he know !! He seems to actually think he himself looks like Colin Firth!! Sorry Piers!! no way...hair is about the same colour...that"s it!!

February 21, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. KATIE

Been waiting soooo long to see this incredible actor and man and it was wonderful to see him, Geoffrey Rush and Helana. LOVED the King's Speech and wanted to hear more about it yet Piers talks so much about himself and like other's have said, interrupts Colin constantly. Also Colin is so intelligent yet Piers brought it down to a shallowness that bothered me. Do we want to know what number Piers is in a poll as compared to Colin?? Good grief Piers. They are the stars and you the interviewer otherwise please let them speak!! Colin you are a doll! Geoffrey is an amazing actor and Helana is fun. All should win Oscars and the film also. Bravo!

February 18, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Lulu

Thank ou for finally airing this interview! Colin is the ultimate performer and showed great humility and humor. A pleasure to watch. It is true Piers does interrupt his guests. He needs to calm down as he is too excited while interviewing.

February 18, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Joanna

Colin Firth is the epitome of class. I'm too old to have a crush, but he's it. Thank you, Piers, for finally, FINALLY airing the interview.

February 18, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Linda From Toronto

If really want to see a good conversation with Colin Firth about The King's Speech go to Charlie Rose's PBS site. As I said it was a good conversation without the interviewer interrupting or brining himself (eg. Britain's Got Talent) into it. It also had the Director Tom Hopper. Just have to search for Colin Firth on the site.

February 18, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. lucipudong

As I have just missed the 2000 HK airing, does it get repeated the next morning?

February 18, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Marge

Colin Firth, worth the wait! And loved Geoffrey Rush, too - he's extremely witty. I like Piers, but wish he wouldn't talk so rapidly. He could take it a little easier.

February 18, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Theresa, Des Moines

Really enjoyed this interview. It was worth the wait.

February 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. HKbaby

It was such a pleasure to watch the interview (it was worth the wait.) I miss that distinct British accent since I left Hong Kong years ago. I especially love how Brits are so precise in their choice of words. They have a knack of picking just the right word to use. Americans in general are too casual in their language. I can listen to Colin Firth talk all day long.

February 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Debbie

i've been waiting for WEEKS. Forgot to check. Found out just now that I missed it. And I could just SCREAM.

February 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. P. R. Spear

So I waited more than two weeks for the Colin Firth interview, gave up and you showed it. Thanks a lot. Hope about repeating it this weekend for this Firth fan? Just based upon his gracious and literate thank you speeches so far, Firth makes up for the overexposed, predictable drivel of Trump, Guiliani,and most of your other guests to date, etc.

February 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Mary Maude Henry

I have been such a fan for years and am crossing my fingers for this fine actor to win next week, such a wonderful, touching movie, something for the heart! MMH

February 20, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. kay griffin

Piers Morgan's an extraordinary interviewer. He's fascinating in the way he zeros in to the heart of the matter expertly catching guests off guard asking them questions that viewers want answers to. He is not arrogant – he's brillant. I look forward to his show each evening. Viewers who think he is arrogant or rude to guests should stick with brain-numbing shows like The View.

February 20, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. acvau

I WATCHED WOLF BLITZER ON PIER MORGAN,GIVING HIS PRESIDENTIAL ADVICE ABOUT THE WAR IN LIBYA. ONE THING HE KNOWS HOW THE PRESIDENT SHOULD HANDLE EVERY CONFLICT. WOLF IS JUST A NEWS COMMENTATOR, THATS WHAT HE SHOULD STICK TO, INSTEAD OF TRYING TO MAKE DECISIONS,AND PUT HIS GARBAGE IN THE PUBLIC HEAD. WOLF IS GOOD AT MAKING DECISIONS AFTER THE FACT. WOLF BLITZER IS JUST ANOTHER BIG MOUTH. SEND PIER MORGAN BACK TO THE U.K. WE DONT NEED U.K. GARBAGE. END OF STORY....

February 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Arnie Perlstein

There is a covert Jane Austen subtext to The King's Speech that I think will be delightful to fans of the 1996 A&E/BBC Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Here are the details:

February 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. LibelFreeZone

Piers Morgan said in a recent interview that he’s been reading tabloids since he was seven years old and has “always wanted to be a journalist.” The problem is, when one sucks news at an early age from the teat of shock headlines, one has no idea what real journalism is. Thus, Morgan has a repugnant history as first a reporter for and then the editor of three notorious British tabloids. Morgan calls himself a serious journalist, yet he spent over a decade lying, exaggerating and printing salacious rumors about the rich and famous at The Sun (1989–94), News of the World (1994–95), and the Daily Mirror (1995–04). Without a public acknowledgment—indeed, an apology for deceiving the public—I don't think he'll ever be able to wash the stink off himself from being mentored by Rupert Murdoch and Kelvin Mackenzie, both repulsive yellow journalists. Now he's trotting himself out as a quality but "dangerous" mainstream interviewer when he should be hunkering down to actually learn the ethics and skills of responsible journalists. Shame on CNN for hiring this disreputable and lame excuse for a journalist. It’s a sad day for journalism when Piers Morgan is considered mainstream.

May 18, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Careenb Evana

Very well written post. It will be valuable to anybody who utilizes it, as well as myself. Keep doing what you are doing – looking forward to more posts.

August 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. rominahot

I seriously love your website.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you create this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my own personal site and would like to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Appreciate it!

June 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply