Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

"Piers Morgan Tonight" Live Libya Coverage: Kristof, Blitzer, Prince al-Senussi and more
February 21st, 2011

Tonight's "PIers Morgan Tonight" will focus on the escalating and fluid situation in Libya. On the program we'll have an interview with New York Times columnist Nick Kristof from Bahrain, as well as CNN's Ben Wedeman in Libya, Arwa Damon in Bahrain, Ivan Watson in Cairo and Wolf Blitzer in Los Angeles.

Other guests will include Prince Sayyid al-Senussi (exiled Libyan opposition figure), Pan Am Flight 103 victims' families and Rafat Ali, founder of PaidContent.org, to talk about social media's impact in the region. All this and more, live at 9pmET.

Post by:
Filed under: Announcements
  1. ron mac

CNN,
    We have tried, really tried to warm up to Mr. Morgan. You had us hooked on the Larry King time slot for years. Time to find something else to view at that time each night.
    -ron

February 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gary Topper

I totally agree with Ron. PIers' style is boring and dull. The guests are great but after watch Spitzer, he is like milk toast. I also find it offensive that we need an Englishmen to give American's the news and make comments like "you American's think this and that" He was much better on the variety show.
      Gary

February 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jo Duckworh

I think Piers is doing a great job. It is not a news program it is an interview/entertainment segment. He certainly has more personality than Larry King.

March 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kris

Is it correct Anderson cannot return to the region because he is gay? or is it that he doesn't want to leave his stay-at-home husband and they have the Vanity Fair Parties next weekend?

February 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Judi

Here we go again – advertised that Rod Stewart is on and he's not. Maybe someone should let us know if there is a change but I guess Mr. Morgan is too stuck up for him to do that – Larry King why did you retire????????

February 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ghada

Thanks for bringing light about Libya. I just wanted to follow up to Mr. Blitzer's statement, it is already a blood bath. Thanks.

February 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Graeme

Will you please STOP messing around with the advertised schedule! If people wanna watch breaking news, they can get it almost anywhere! CNN advertised Rod Stewart. CNN should show Rod Stewart. Is that too much to ask?

All this screwing around with the line-up is a VERY bad start to a new show!!!

February 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Suzanne

i tuned tonight for the third re-scheduling of the Rod Stewart interview – I give up, very disappointing.

February 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Robbie

During his interview with Wolfe Blitzer Morgan asked what is America going to do about the mid-east problems. Wolfe asked Morgan what are you (Europeans) going to do. Morgan dismissed Mr. Blitzer with a curt "thank you" and went to commercial. THANK YOU WOLFE; it's about time someone said what many American's are thinking–we, the people of the US, can't fix everyone's internal problems, nor should we be expected to.

Two minutes later he's speaking with a journalist in the Mid-East who is describing the havoc and Morgan says to him, alluding to himself as being American, what are "we" going to do? (It's possible I missed the part where the journalist identfied himself as being British). If the journalist is American, Morgan not only side swiped the journalist, he became an American Citizen without benefit of swearing allegiance to the US. It says in his bio that he is a British citizen; did he become an American without demonstrating the same pride and thrill that Colin Fergenson (spelling) did when he become a citizen?

February 21, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Dolores

Please learn how to correctly pronounce Qaddafi's name. It is NOT pronounced like "Daffi", as in Daffi Duck, but It is more of a "Dof" sound. Your mispronunciation, totally takes away from your otherwise reporting of the terrible strife in Libya.

Our first USAF duty station was at Wheelus AFB, when King Idris was the president. One of our daughters was born at Wheelus while we were there in late 50s. We were in Turkey when King Idris visited Turkey to go to the mineral baths. While he was in Turkey, Omar Qaddafi over threw the ruling government, some 40 years ago.

February 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Rae Trajan

Enough about the oil. The only issue here is the human tragedy of people wanting to be free and to have influence in the government of their country by democratic means and who have to die for that privilege.
    The oil is not ours. It never was and we have known for at least 30 years that we must wean ourselves off our addiction to cheap fossil fuels. We have been too lazy and selfish to do so. Apparently we need a few revolutions to force us to take the problem seriously. If our economy tanks, so be it. It's time, and we deserve it.

February 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Gordon Wright

Piers, you cut off the Prince for a Commercial. People want to listen to the Libyans and their stories. You should have had the Prince say what he has to say about Libya until he was finished. The Libyans know more about Libya than anyone else.
    Piers, I know that there is a learning curve, but remember that you are watched and compared all the time. If I were you, I would ask the audience to give you feedback on how you are doing and to give suggestions. The audience will give free consulting.
    Thanks

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Cara

When will you show Rod Stewart's interview! Ive been waiting since January for it!! I'M GETTING TIRED OF WAITING!!!

February 21, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. THE REV. JOHN A. SHIRKEY

MR. MORGAN,
    DID I HEAR YOU CORRECTLY, WHEN MAKING A TRANSITIONAL STATEMENT JUST BEFORE A COMMERCIAL BREAK, AT THE END OF A MOVING AND IMPASSIONED DISCUSSION BY YOUR GUESTS OF THE WORSENING SITUATION IN LIBYA TONIGHT? I CLEARLY HEARD YOU SAY: ". . . THIS VIRUS SPREADING ACROSS THE MIDDLE EAST." -– REFERRING QUITE OBVIOUSLY TO THE CITIZEN DEMONSTRATIONS FOR DEMOCRACY AND LIBERTY THAT WE HAVE RECENTLY WITNESSED IN COUNTRY AFTER COUNTRY ACROSS THE ARAB WORLD AND BEYOND, AND IN THE MIDST OF WHICH SO MANY COURAGEOUS YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE READILY SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES THAT THEIR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS MIGHT BREATHE FREE FOR THE FIRST TIME; FREE FROM THE UNBEARABLE YOKE OF DICTATORIAL OPPRESSION IN NATION-STATE AFTER NATION-STATE, DECADE AFTER DECADE; FREE TO BUILD NEW AND JUST AND CARING SOCIETIES IN A DAWNING WORLD ORDER OF JUSTICE, PEACE AND RESPECT. - AND YOU CALL THAT A VIRUS? - HOW DARE YOU !

FOR THAT CARELESS STATEMENT FROM YOU TONIGHT, MR. MORGAN, I DEMAND AN APOLOGY FROM YOU TO YOUR LISTENERS. FOR I SINCERELY BELIEVE, WHEN YOU TAKE TIME TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID, YOU WILL RECOGNIZE THE HARM SUCH A STATEMENT, IF LEFT UNCORRECTED, CAN CAUSE AT SUCH AN IMPORTANT MOMENT IN HISTORY. A NEW WORLD IS BEING BORN, JUST NOW, MR. MORGAN, AND WE WOULD DO WELL TO GET OURSELVES ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FUTURE THAT IS SWEEPING DOWN UPON US ALL LIKE AN AVALANCHE, LEST WE FIND OURSELVES BURIED BY IT.

RESPECTFULLY, BROTHER JOHN

February 21, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Helene - Philadelphia

Piers, I am glad you are covering the events in Libya. I am deeply disturbed of the military agression against innocent people. I commend the Libyans for standing up against this brutal government for their right to freedom even in the face of fear. Today, I viewed the video of the soldiers who were burnt to death because they refused to fire on protestors. All you could see of their remains were their burnt bodies and skulls. I also read today the govermnent is committing genocide of its own people. Now we are finding out the true face of Muammar Gaddafi and his government. I have always been against violence, but I now believe you and you and your government should suffer the same fate of those soldiers. You can all look forward to being tried in The Hague for war crimes against humanity. I have never witnessed such disregard for human life as I do now. The international community needs to step in and save these people before more innocent lives are taken. .

February 22, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Hala Gheriani

Mr. Morgan,
    May I suggest that you go back to American Idol? Today's reporting on Libya was a joke. 90% of the footage you ran were of "libyan" pro-gaddafi demonstrators and NOT protesters as you had mentioned!! I can't recall everything you said but your report was blatantly. You just don't get it, do you? There is a massacre taking place in Libya!!! You must be related to Tony Blair who, by the way, is on gadaffi's payroll. I would love to go over your journalistic failure once more so that I may pinpoint your shortcomings, however, I will simply lament the void left by Mr. Larry King.

February 22, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Mariam

CNN,

I describe myself as a pro-Bahrain Bahraini..ie not pro-governement and not pro-Lulu roundabout protest. As a secular, nonreligious member of the silent majority of Bahrain.. I find Nick Kristof ignorant, insensitive, biased, and unprofessional. His coverage on the situation in Bahrain was absolutely rubbish. By choosing to cover one side of a story (complicated and sensitive due to the history leading to the recent events) in such a superficial way, Nick Kristof has overlooked Bahrain's vast improvement over the last 10 years. He has also managed to offend the rich, diverse Bahraini society which consists of Jews, Christians, Hindus, Shiites, Sunnis and dare I say, athiests who's opinions are NOT respresented in any shape or form in his reporting. This is OUR Bahrain. Was he asleep when 300,000 people attende a "National Unity" protest? His tweets which seem to intentionally provoke readers, may seem fascinating to millions of people who now classify Bahrain as just another war-torn, uncivilized Middle Eastern country, have made him a laughingstock of Bahrain (check out #NickKristof). Shame on you, international media, for misrepresenting this beautiful, open, liberal and yes, Arab, country. Piers, reconsider... and get someone more credible on your show. CNN has done enough (including showing a wrong map of Bahrain).

Disappointed Bahraini

February 22, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. joan ewson

Please play this video, it shows how strong these people are. They are amazing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxKrUC4izgE

February 22, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Richard

I've read most of the responses about Piers Morgan. They seem to be saying what I want to. First he has a speech impedment, speaks with an poor English accent, can pronounce anything. CNN must have got him cheap. Who would name their child Piers. I'm a fan of CNN but when are you going to realize nobody likes this guy. I'm being forced to seek my news from other stations. Wake up CNN.......dump this dude!!!!!

February 22, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. mary

Ref: rod stewart, when are you going to do what you say, i am like other people, once may push back, but 6 weeks, who are you kidding?

February 22, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Art Frankel

I would like to be a quest on your show. I published my memoir, " Flew by the Seat of My Pants",I have 5 children, 10 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren. Married to the same woman 61 years.I built a sailboat and sailed to Hawaii and back.I was a HS counselor and teacher for 28 years and presently an actor.I have many more stories to tell. Thank you. Art.

February 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Reza Kamali

Dear friend ,piers morgan
    seems like you are descent Human being and descency make you responcible as a Human being for Humanity ,spcialy for people like you as a International Jurnalist .
    is time for International peace and I have a Mission of God for it ,the Humanity has been abuse for for 1ooo, of years by the powerty and Dicatorship on the name of God by the Religen specialy for the past few centuries,the violance and the war is not going to salve the problem,the God has been gieving me solution for all the problem to salve and make peace for our planet .is a Dangeruse situation for our planet ,becuse the way it is with the nuclear wepons in the hands of Evil minded governments and trorist .if you feel responcibile and care about Humanity send my masseg to all the Government
    over the globe .God ,bless you and Humanity.
    Reza Kamali

February 23, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Debbie

I was in a state of worry when Larry King was replaced with Piers Morgan. I thought after the oil spill, not another Brit!!!!but , I am thrilled to say that I really enjoy Piers Morgan!!!! He asks insightful questions and is quite funny!!!! I especially injoyed the Colin Firth interview, Janet Jackson, Hugh Hefner and I could go on. I still miss Rick Sanchez. Wish you guys would rehire Rick.

February 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Aimee Kligman

Piers you were stellar this evening with Netanyahu. Your best interview since you started. See my report here: http://www.examiner.com/foreign-policy-in-national/netanyahu-the-interview-with-piers-morgan-on-cnn

March 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. godblessamerica

I cannot believe that this "High Brow Brit" had the gall to call a former Navy Seal a coward on national television. I bet he wouldn't do it in private.

If it wasn't for people like Jesse Ventura, he would be speaking German.

Don't come to this country with your blue blood royalty BS. When does his visa expire ? Not soon enough.

April 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Anonymous

I can say that minkyu is so cool. Thanks for the helpful post.

March 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply