Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 25th, 2011

Dr. Drew: CBS handled the Charlie Sheen situation "very well"

HLN's Dr. Drew Pinsky appeared on "Piers Morgan Tonight" to talk about Charlie Sheen's latest meltdown. Pinsky discussed possible ways Sheen could go about recovery, but he also discussed the way CBS has handled the situation.

"I think they've navigated this very well, because the fact is hundreds maybe thousands of jobs are affected by Charlie Sheen's behavior," Pinsky told Piers Morgan. "Because he had no problems at work, CBS probably couldn't fire him."

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. tom

Charlie Sheen better get his act together. Nobody is bigger than the company. He needs to remember that. Suzanne Summers and countless others can aptest to that fact.

February 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. preteristaynrand

Charlie Sheen RULES....

February 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. 2.5 Men Fan

Britney Spears dad should get conservatorship of Charlie Sheen! Might do him some good!

February 25, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. kellylee

I think CBS had no choice on their course of action. I will miss the show. I really do not think it can go on without Charlie, but it probably had already run its course on being a top rated sitcom anyways. It is apparant that Charlies personal life is also melting into his working life. I think the only reason he was able to run with it for so long is that it really wasn't acting for him,more like a tuned down realty show. I"m glad for Charlie that he has his father and brother for support. His father is so right that he has a disease that could kill him just like cancer. The only thing is that people feel sorry for you with cancer and just think you are a TURD if you have the disease called addiction. I hope Charlie finds his way into a recovery program before someone finds him dead from overdosing on alcohol and or drugs. I will keep my fingers crossed for Charlie, that's for sure!

February 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. MEGM

I like your comment, and totally agree. Very good!

February 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. richard

addiction that dr.drew relates too is very vogue and he knows sheen will be fine but i think axl or slash has real problems and me too none the the less mr. sheen wont have them until he hits the real bottom which he is diving for

February 26, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. sandy

piers, you need to REALLY HEAR one thing larry king said to you the other night. the reason his show was so successful, was that he never said the word "I", he never talked about himself. you are doing a fine job, but if you are going to last at this gig, you need to STOP talking about yourself, and asking people how you are doing. it makes you look weak and needy, and i assume you wish to be perceived as neither. you have the job, move on and make the guest the star of the show. you asked oprah "how did i do?", now please stop doing that!!

February 26, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kathleen

Dr. Drew Pinsky's remarks regarding Charlie Sheen, and your show's decision to report on Charlie Sheen in the manner you did was an incredibly irresponsible and dangerous response to Charlie Sheen's recent action and behavior. It is one thing to report the behavior and to speak generally about addiction or other psychotic behaviors. For Pinsky to make a diagnosis based only on what he has heard, and then to go on to say that he would be too busy to personally treat Sheen negates any credibility Dr. Drew might have as a professional who engages in meaningful treatment of anyone who suffers from chronic substance disorder or a mental health disorder. If either Piers Morgan or Dr. Drew really had any compassion for Charlie Sheen or anyone who suffers the same challenges, this story would have been told very differently. I've worked in this field for years and neither I nor any of the clinicians I work with would ever risk another person's health by dehumanizing them through a public commentary based on assumptions about the state of their health. Dr. Drew's comments come off as self promotion and can't possibly contribute to any positive outcome for Charlie Sheen's life, nor for others who suffer the same conditions yet had the ill-fortune to witness the frivolity with which your program approached this issue.

You guys may have the privilege of reporting the news, but you don't have the right to do so in a way that undermines the lives and struggles of those you report on. If that is what you chose to do, it is not reporting–it is bigotry.

February 26, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeanette

Thank Kathleen! I absolutely agree.

March 4, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. susan

Dr. Drew profits from these addicts. Never trust a doctor or a shrink who appear on TV.

February 26, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. DPerrini

I agree with Kathleen–shame on you,Dr.Drew, got diagnosing Charlie Sheen
    on tv so inappropriately.Usually I have such respect and admiration for your compassion
    on Celebrity Rehab,but it was definitely lacking tonight.
    If Charlie is truly manic and the situation is as desperate as you think it is,then he deserves respect and support,and not public humiliation.

February 26, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr. Marion

He's not manic, he is a sociopath – exhibiting physical aggression, cannot sustain relationships, has no regret for inappropriate actions, uses drugs and alcohol to heighten his anti-social personality, sees the world on his or her own terms as a place of high drama and risky thrills, suffers from low self esteem, and the use of alcohol and drugs is a way to diminish these feelings. His ex-wife needs to have her head examined – letting him have partial custody of his young children. By her own statement "he is a violent drug addict". I really don't care what he does to himself or other consenting adults. That's their business.

February 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Gradstudent

He is not necessarily a sociopath (and the current term is antisocial personality disorder or psychopath is there is absolutely no empathy or human connection). Many addicts exhibit the same symptoms he's displaying. You cannot accurately diagnose someone, especially with a personality disorder, when they are using. However, if you had to take a shot, bipolar would be a closer approximation. If you insisted on axis II, narcissistic personality disorder would be a better guess.

March 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim Davies

I think that the best thing now Piers, you should have charlie on as a guest. You would have the highest rating show ever. There are lots of things going on in this world right now. I don't think it's all public knowledge because mainstream media are told what to report and how to report it. When someone learns this they change forever. If you know something to be wrong you can't pretend it's ok. This is where Charlie is today, Many others are waking up and Charlie will continue to be slatted because he is so popular. They Fear him and they should.He's been awake for a long time now. He would be very powerful with his fan base. And come on, we must all know by now how corrupt the whole system is. he is only telling us what we already know. Go Charlie. Ps High 5 Wes Snipes. Your the man

February 26, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jebb Fink

Nice that you could find a doctor to comment on a patient he may have never met. I guess it worked out well for CNN as a built in ad for Dr. Drew and his new show on surprise surprise CNN. Makes it pretty hard to take it seriously.

February 26, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Erika

Wasn't there a similar debate when Dr. Drew announced that he was going to do that show Celebrity Rehab – does it help or hurt patients and society overall to have addicts share their rehabilitation treatment under the guidance of a licensed physician with the public via tv. People wondered whether it was exploitative, whether it in some way hurt the addict's chance of recovery, etc.

And some people countered that the flipside is that these addicts are public figures who have gotten rich by propping themselves up in a way that trivializes and glamorizes the face of addiction.

Tough issue – I guess so long as there are celebrity addicts, then maybe it's only right that there be a celebrity treatment expert? It was interesting to hear Dr. Drew shed light on how easy it was for somebody like Michael Jackson to self-treat his addiction. And at least he didn't troll around the psych ward trying to get Britney on camera the way Dr. Phil did.

Tough issue ...

February 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erika

Oh, I didn't finish my thought ... haha

I meant to say that some people countered that the flipside is that these addicts who are public figures who are known to have substance abuse issues, put on a public face and have gotten rich in a way that gives the public a distorted impression of what it means to be an addict. And that the reality is that it's a terrible struggle, it's ugly, there's fallout. And by taking the glamour out of it, maybe it actually helps the celebrity bottom out faster, and helps those suffering out in the public feel like they're not alone in their struggles, etc.

February 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Daryl

I wish Charlie Sheen could realize that he has a talent and so very lucky to of had a chance in his life to be a star.
    There are millions of possible stars in the world that just don't get lucky to make it big.
    It is so sad that Charlie and other stars that are having these type of personal issues, don't just pause thank god for their life.
    If I had the same opportunity Charlie has I would take the sadness and depression and turn it into a good thing. Possibly working with aspiring actors-actresses and help them get a break. While doing something like this I would stay focused and more important I would see how hard it really is to become a star and stay a star. Give me a chance I would give back. We are all blessed in some way or another. we just need to pause and realize it.

February 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mla500

Honestly, do you truly believe that he has control over this? As Drew said, he has serious neurodadaptations that
      are governing his behavior. He is not rational. He needs treatment, serious treatment for the BIO-PSYCHO-SOCIAL
      aspects of his disease and addiction is a disease, not unlike cancer or diabetes or asthma...progressive and potentially fatal diseases that can be arrested, but never cured. So sad that the general public believes that addiction is a weak moral character or something that one can control without professional help. This case is an excellent example of the stages of addiction and the manifestations of the disorder. Hopefully, he will be able to get the help that he needs and will be a thriving individual, not unlike Robert Downey, Jr or thousands of others who were just like Charlie in the depths of their own illnesses. When will the judgment and stigma ever end?

February 28, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jim

I agree with Dr Pinsky BUT i do not gree with Pers Morgen's comment that Charlie Sheen has a right to live his life as he pleases. That is true IF it didn't affect anyone else BUT it does!!!!! All those people who work on that show (by the way, they're all just as good as he is) DO NOT DESERVE the treatment and loss of pay as Mr Sheen. He makes FAR FAR FAR too much anyway. It's ABSURD!!!!!! Dump his ass and either get on with the show with another individual or cancel and give ALL the empliyees (minus Charlie) they're salaries that they would have received had the show continued through this season!!!! Charlie can live for the rest of his life with all his "harem" and wives on one episode!!!!!!

February 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. lorjon

Piers, you really aren't all that smart are you? Charlie does have a right to live his life, as you proclaim, however in the process he assaulted/abused his wives and even in the presence of his very young daughters. He needs serious help if only for that reason. If you had done your research, Piers, as you keep saying you do on every topic, you would have read more about Charlie's past. Or maybe you're for spousal abuse? And also, if you want to be more like your idol, Larry King, then have some class in your interviews and focus on the person being interviewed, without interrupting so often and bringing the spotlight back to yourself. You've got a lot to learn - and also, in America there is a certain respect for people (which is something you should pass on to your atheist friend Ricky Gervais who makes his money off the Good Ole U.S.A. but doesn't yet know how to behave! Good Luck, old chap, hope you make it as long as Larry, I sincerely do!

February 26, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Steve in Charlotte, NC

I think Chuck Lorre should offer Sheen his job back at half price as long as Charlie agrees to a rename of the show to "One and a Half Men and a Twirp". Outside of that Sheen should not work again in Hollywood. People have been blackball'd for much less. Charlie and Miss Lohan would make a great couple.

February 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr. Marion

You nailed it Steve.

February 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nedim

Mar15Mark If you can't learn anything from him, it must be eusabce you are just like him?Arrogance.Bad for Charlie Sheen.Bad for the church.Have you confessed your sin lately?

April 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Scott L

Anyone catch the CNN has a vested interest in this financially??? CBS being owned by them?? I walk in Charlie's shoes every day. I don't look for trouble; it simply finds me wherever I'm at. The way the media is handling this is only fueling his responses and he absolutely will defend himself albeit a tad irresponsibly. I'd probably be doing the same thing as I never bow to aggression. Some people [like me and I expect him] do not do well in clinical environments. I am permanently disabled for symptoms very close to his and I'm more productive on a half day than anyone I know. Leave him alone and he'll catch back up to life; keep beating him up and chasing him and you will find him in a ditch. That's reality.

February 28, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Erika

I wonder if he'll want to be on CNN tonight at 9pm – his old time slot (Monday, 9pm). He seems kind of vengeful the way he did interviews with ABC and NBC, but not CBS. Hmmm ...

I try to imagine what addiction must be like and the closest thing I can think of is food ... you know how the food that tastes good is never good for you, and the food that's good for you tastes like cardboard (whole grains) and grass (veggies). It's a real evolutionary conundrum because you would think our survival mechanisms would compel us to prefer healthy foods to unhealthy ones – and yet, we tend to FEEL like french fries are 'good' and carrots are 'bad'. I wonder if drugs must feel the same way to an addict – doing drugs feels 'good', stopping feels 'bad', so therefore feeding the addiction is 'good' and treating the addiction is 'bad'. And since they're high or craving a high all the time, they can't think counterintuitively of illogic of their thought processes?

I wonder what CBS has tried to do to help him over the years – especially since he sounds like he resents the intrusion into his personal matters. I feel really bad for the show's creator because he must have been the one to give Charlie a second chance when he was clean and recovering. And then he fell off the wagon. And then they wound up giving him the money to fuel his addiction. And then what?

Sad like Daryl pointed out about the lost opportunity there among other things (the cost to his co-workers, the heartache he must be causing his family (!), etc ... ). I really wanted to see him succeed like Robert Downey Jr. So talented ...

February 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erika

omgosh, he's on! Maybe I'm psychic lol! Imma gonna have to go buy a lotto ticket tomorrow haha :D

February 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Dr. Marion

I liked his show in the early years, but I got tired of it several years ago. It is the same old story line over and over again. He and Alan fight, Alan's a leach, Alan moves out, they make up and he moves back in. And Charlie's girl friends, always better, smarter, classier than he is and he can't remain faithful, they break up over and over again. I get it – the irreverence, but it got so boring. And the kid clueless and dumb – that really got old. Who still watches this show. I think this show was nearing the end, even before Sheen started unraveling. The best characters – Berta and Charlie's mother didn't have big enough parts.

February 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cindy

Amen to that, Dr. Marion! Yawn! Will this show just go away-YES! Also, interesting take on the sociopathy angle versus addiction.

March 1, 2011 at 3:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. ziggy

they should start writing the finale now, funeral and all.

February 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Janine Pringle

All the other cast mates and all the others employee's on his show, should NOT lose their job. I absolutely enjoy the ientire cast. But Charlee has left a real bad taste in everyones mouths regarding his unexceptable increasingly insane behavior. Save the Show and try some one else in his role!! Lets see how much Charlee Sheen is really missed?

February 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. IMHO

I just think that Charlie Sheen needs to remember something: His talent didn't get him anywhere, his dad did. I have a hundred friends and colleagues in theater and film who are FAAAAAAAAAR more talented than he is, but their dad isn't Martin Sheen, so they have to fight like hell to get bit parts in infomercials. Charlie Sheen. The only word I could think of while I watched his interviews was "megalomaniac." My word. I truly fear that he's going to die soon, or he's going to kill someone. No lie. He is dangerous. I feel for his family and those that know and love him. What a terrible thing to have to watch. It's hard to watch on this scale, I can only imagine what it must be like on a more intimate level.

February 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Vic

Media corporations suck.

How often (in real life) to people defend what they think is right. How often (in real life) do people stand up for what they believe in, espeically when they think they have been wronged.

Shame on the media for drawing such mass attention to this poor guy. He is living his life the way HE WANTS to live it. Get off his case. He bangs out some pretty awesome comedy, so would appear he is doing his job.

I dont get why this story is headlining the news when our whole friggin planet is about to implode.

Sheeeesh!

March 1, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • gigoloth

Yes – living his life the way HE WANTS....only he happens to coexist with those of us who are in a society. And a society that has determined what drugs are illegal – and he partakes in many of those. A society that has also determined that beating people up is illegal, even if it is a woman, or more specifically, a man's wife – another thing that our society has determined as illegal.

Funny how many want to defend him as a pioneer of individuality!! He is a delusional addict and watching him implode is what has many of us following this story.

March 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Le

Since there are so many people many who are children using drugs, and so many violent acts because of how the drugs are altering thoughts my question is how do people feel about so many states cutting mental health and substance abuse funding from their budgets?

April 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sajan

Mar15 I totally daergise.We can learn that when we measure ourselves against somebody else worse than us, we can get a false sense of security. (Thank you God, that I am not like Charlie Sheen.)Every one of us is capable of the kind of self-destruction that Charlie is engaged in. Every one.And when we start laughing at his expense (or Ted Haggard's, or Benny Hinn's, or Ken Silva's) we can lose a piece of our soul.

April 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. winstrol

Congratulations on having one of the most sophisticated blogs I've came across in some time! Its just incredible how much you can take away from something simply because of how visually beautiful it is. Youve put together a great blog space great graphics, videos, layout. piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com is definitely a must-see blog!

December 1, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Lucille

Kid, I think Charlie was acting like the lebaril airhead that he is and always has been. Like Alex Jones, he is a 911 "truther" and believes other far-left nonsense, as does the idiot Alex Jones.Don't blame one of your family on us.

April 4, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply