Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 1st, 2011

Harvey Weinstein: Charlie Sheen is "playing a losing game" with CBS and Moonves

Producer Harvey Weinstein, who just won the Best Picture Oscar for "The King's Speech," was a guest tonight on "Piers Morgan Tonight." He discussed Charlie Sheen in the wake of the recent interview by Piers Morgan. "I know Les Moonves," said Weinstein of the CBS CEO. "Charlie's playing a losing game."

"Not one show is going to make the difference to CBS," he said. "He's a dangerous guy to go against." But would Weinstein still hire Sheen?

Weinstein was the producer of "Scary Movie," which Sheen starred in. Despite everything, would Weinstein hire Sheen now? "I'd hire Charlie Sheen to do Scary Movie 4, 5, 6, 7, all of them," said Weinstein quickly.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. hawk62

Piers Morgan's interview with Sheen was a joke.I thought your show was about asking the hard questions and not letting the guest off easy ?you should have just answered for him.complete sham.

March 1, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pr

Piers Morgan has been disappointing and over-rated to say the least. Me thinks he is cashing in on his British accent. He sucks up to celebrities (clearly as you observe in the most recent interview) and his so called "tough" questions are a rambling, giving them an out. What's worse is that the very next day he calls in the celebrity's detractors and has them dish on the celebrity he sucked up to the previous night. His interview of the twins who co-founded an earlier version of Facebook was a total sham and disgrace to the traditions of professional talk shows. He would ask the questions, surmise their responses and conclud on their behalf; the twins did well to mask their frustrations at not being able to respond to his so called "tough" questions.

March 2, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • kirk

i agree. also you can see that the guest is a big suck up too.

April 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol Cure

I am tired of Piers Morgan defending the horrible behavior of Charlie Sheen. It's "okay" with Piers to hold a knife to your wife's throat. careen around in out of control mode, and your network employers shouldn't care???? Ridiculous! Where's Larry King when you need him???

March 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Nana

Love your show and hope to see you interview John Galliano.

People are making off colored remarks all the time, should they I don't think so. The Jewish and most Muslims people are both Semitic and are very touchy about racist remarks. We should respect all religions but would John Galliano alleged racist remarks against the Christians, Muslims or African American not be seen as free speech by the media? Did Salman Rushdie not receive his knighthood from the Queen of England for his free speech? What ever became of the cartoonist from Denmark? As I recall no one was sacked from there jobs because they were seen as highly talented people. Mr Salman Rushdie and the cartoonist were hailed by the media sending them laughing to the bank. John Galliano might want to change nationalities and receive the prestigious knighthood by the Queen of England for his talent and free speech. Salman Rushdie was interview by Larry King, Oprah Winfrey, Christiane Amanpour and others more than once.How many times was Rushdie and the cartoonist on Fox TV ?
    Free Media is a good thing.

March 1, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mary

Hey Piers you are not that good! Go home!

March 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Sally

I like the show very much, too bad it's canceled because of Charlie Sheen.

March 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Droto

I will not watch anything to do about Sheen..I turn the station. Same goes for Celebs...they mean absolutely nothing to my life....they are entertainment, not news....err..You are a NEWS station..right?

March 2, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. mama

I was very disappointed in the interview with Charlie Sheen. I found Piers to be enabling and making excuses for Charlie sheen's behaviors. He showed no understanding of manipulative addictive behaviors. He catered to Charlie and overall was just irresponsible. This has about ended by willingness to watch future interviews by Piers. I gave him a good chance and was intrigued until this terrible interview. The really sad thing was hearing him suggest that he would feel getting hammered with Charlie at a later date. You just don't get it, Piers. Hopefully you won't eat your words while attending Charlie's funeral. Sad, very sad.

March 2, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jesse

Honestly, I thought Piers did great in the interview with Charlie Sheen. As an interviewer, he's not supposed to judge him or make the guest defensive. Charlie Sheen was completely comfortable and his rambling was not indicative of the quality of Piers' questions, but more-so demonstrated his mental illness.

Good job Piers! I enjoy your show!

March 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Erika

Harvey Weinstein's BIG isn't he? I've seen him for years on all those awards shows, where all the biggest and most talented stars all thank him when they win – he seems to be like the George Clooney or Steven Spielberg of his field.

So it's pretty LOL to seem him talking about the same stuff the rest of us are talking about – Charlie Sheen. I guess it kind of speaks to just how powerful it is to be the star of the top sitcom on tv.

And maybe too it goes to the issue of what 'we' as a society are supposed to do when somebody rich and famous and successful might have some substance abuse issues, with 'we' being the public, the viewers, the interviewers, the big wigs whose primary concern is supposed to be the bottom line, the publicists, etc, etc. Because it keeps happening again and again.

Are some of us being too intrusive? Or too enabling? It's interesting to see Harvey Weinstein show such uncompromising support for CBS, but yet HE would hire Charlie in a minute! Because part of me feels like the 'system' is 'enabling' Charlie Sheen ... with me being part of the system since I can't get enough of this whole story. I'm lapping it up!

This is just such a tough situation, because on the one hand you've got this incredibly gifted star, but on the other hand he comes with larger than life baggage. And before him there was Michael Jackson. And before him there was (on and on and on) ...

March 2, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burt

I only saw a few minutes of the interview and the comments show. I think a good "comparison" would be to interview Brett Butler. Years ago during the run of her show "Grace Under Fire", she apparently was doing drugs and they had a number of issues with her. The show was eventually shut down for good. At the time, there were some nasty comments about how the people on the show let her get away with it because the show was doing well in the ratings. When it was shut down, some then claimed they waited until they had enough shows for a decent syndication price and said more should have been done to help her with her problems.
      In this case, those involved with "Two and a Half Men" seemed to have given Charlie Sheen (aka Carlos Estevez by the way) many chances and finally put their foot down on his outrageous behavior. Of course, this show is more popular and has more episodes now than Grace Under Fire, but it seems to be a no win situation...if you stop the show people complain about it...and if you let it keep going, they'll say you should have done more.
      I would love to see an interview with Brett Butler about what happened and, looking back now, what she would have liked to have seen happen.

March 2, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Robert Theleen

I have been trying to suspend my judgment of Mr. Morgan since he replaced Larry King. I can wait no longer. His style is smarmy Brit, which some Americans actually think is intelligent. It is not. He attempts to be, as the Brits would say, too clever by half. He panders to his guests, apes for his viewers and bores the hell out of me. He belongs on a British afternoon talk show catering on shut ins from Liverpool. CNN, you have big shoes to fill with Larry. This guy is does not fill them.

March 2, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. lorjon

AGREE 100% with comment made by Robert Theleen above! You hit the nail on the head and articulated exactly my thoughts since first watching Piers. Piers, you're out of your league. You really cannot replace Larry or even do him any sort of justice. The show is more about you than your guests with you always trying to upstage them and interjecting your own personal views into any subject. The idea of the show is to get the guests to talk and be real and you should be there as a guide only and not worry about being the "star". Watching you interview Charlie Sheen did me in. I will no longer watch the show with you at the helm. You used Charlie just like the others to boost your ratings but you seemed to completely condone his behavior (when it's not just his behavior that's the problem but how it affects his children and the mothers of those kids). Honestly, would you want your own little ones to be staying at Charlie's house with the two goddesses? This interview really was the last straw - you'll do anything for the ratings and you're not all that smart, are you? Americans need someone more substantial in a CNN interview show. It's not Inside Edition, for God's sake!

March 2, 2011 at 3:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. fergi

CNN is a repetative boring news show. With the exception of one or two, such as the Sunday international program GPS at 10:00AM , which is well done and informative. And it's good they moved Kathleen Parker, (8:00 pm) she didn't add much, mind you Spitzer is a force, but he is a good interviewer. Both these men know their subjects and do their homework. the rest........................second rate. And Piers Morgan is more like the interviewee than the interviewer. He would fit with the ladies of THE VIEW, they talk over themselves and the guest as well.

FOX news is looking better and better.

March 2, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eduardo

You may b allergic to it. I took it and had the same recaiton. Went back to the Dr and had to get a shot to relieve the itching. Does your throat feel as if it's tight or your tongue feel as if it's swelling? If yes then you are allergic and do not take any more!! Go see your doctor!

May 20, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mary Owens

In all fairness to Piers, I wasn't a total fan of Larry King. He had all the "current" celebrity dirt right along with the rest of the stations. He did, however, also take part in raising money for worthy causes and getting the word out on important issues. People are treating "King" as if he were. He just handled it differently. After 25 years he should be better at making it about the person. He had some very good interviews over the years, but there were many I didn't watch for the same reason I wouldn't watch Sheen on any of the stations that have had him. Give me a break! They are all trying to cash in on what is an obvious tragic situation. Those of us with children, normally want to leave this world having done something our children can be proud of, or at least knowing we did our best to live up to parenthood. My heart breaks for the video history the media has so willingly made for his legacy. I can't help but feel sorry for his Mom and Dad and brothers as well! When we make idols of these people and throw money at them like they are Gods, some of them begin to believe that! Then when they fall, we either burn them at the stake, or allow them to be above all moral and legal laws, while continuing to use them in the worst way! Sometimes, when I can remember and find it the PBS station has a program about the Pioneers of Television. Talk about a walk through the best of what television offered. I'm sure there were just as many personal battles with the bottle and drugs, they aren't new, but the way we handle the information when it becomes available is! For those of us who don't care who the "batchelor" marries, don't want to see the "bad girls" performing badly, could care less about the daily lives of people who desperately want to stay young forever, really don't want to watch an 80+ year old man make it with girls in there 20's, and then be interviewed by anyone since he is now engaged, there isn't much to watch!! Thanks Anderson Cooper for being Top Notch! There are others, but sadly, it's a short list and getting shorter!!

March 2, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • AMJ

OMG Mary owens, you are so bang on!! I loved Piers on America's Got Talent. Now...not so much. Correct me if I am wrong, but on Piers Morgan Tonight...did I not hear Piers extend Charlie Sheen an invite to host his show for a week?

And one other thing while I'm at it...back when Colin Firth was being interviewed by Piers, Piers asked Colin how he handled all the female attention etc., and Colin answered,....or attempted to...that he realized he was married to the most beautiful woman in the world, and for some damn reason, Piers cut him off and interjected that, no, she was second to his own wife, who was the most beautiful woman in the world, and how she would never let him live him down if he had not said that. I thought he asked Colin the question! I used to really like that Piers guy. He made me sit up and take notice...now...not so much. Anderson Cooper is where it's at!

March 2, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ainsley

I have never before commented on these type of boards, but let me first start by saying I actually liked Piers Morgan. Right now that's out of the way,I feel its very important to add that he is way out of his league with his show.In my humble opinion he needs to do 3 key things for starters

1. Ask the questions that matter and even if the guest is an acquittance or long lost friend of his ask the questions the audience wants to know and allow them to answer.

2.Shut up and listen to their answer, it was sooooo frustrating watching him over talk the majority of his guests, the worse was the Facebook twins, very painful to watch

3. He really needs to stop sucking up to his guests, like he is looking for an invite for dinner, be tough ask the questions that matter and he doesn't need to fill every second with his own voice. Rant over, im happy to keep watching his show for a bit longer as the calibre of guest is very good, but if he doesn't change his style, then he's going to another viewer from the UK down

March 5, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. RICKISJ

You are great. Larry King's interviews were not just soft balls, they were wiffle balls (ck with someone if you don't know what a wiffle ball is.) King's interviews (which I only watched when he had an especially interesting guest, were always disappointing, or when he was pre-empted for REAL news. You could learn the answers to Larry asked in numerous sources which were released before the interviewee appeared on his show. The only time he confronted anyone was a person who called in-he was usually rude.. I hope you last. I haven't missed a show, although I could do without Charlie and Stern. Don't fall into the 'entertainment' trap. You have the experience and intelligence to do real news while interviewing heavy weights in their fields. PLEASE. The kardashians? King was fired because of the pablum he offered. good luck, retain your dignity, and reject most of the 'stars' Larry allowed to control the show. Best to ya!

March 6, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Chris

Your audience was listening and they are completely correct when they say you are bating Charlie and others by pretending to agree dangerous behaviours. Are you living Vicariously Charlie's and others stories. It will be interesting to hear you talk as his life further unravels. It all "great fun" to you after all your just a reporter however these people have family's and loved ones that really care. What will you say to them.

March 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. noisy

First off Charlie S. (Carlos E) alcohol/drug abuse is child abuse. There are millions of drunks/addicts out here in the real world w/the help of recovery programs that flat out know the disease of addiction has you by the proverbial throat, & will kill your arrogant, self diluted, butt. However, not before it destroys or taints (@the very least) everything precious/meaningful in your extremely grandiose, very small world. Your interview did not show a creative, loving, or even as a selfless human being w/the safety & well being of his family any where near the top of his priority list. I've buried lots of friends, family, & workmates, their common bond w/you @ this time is the total denial of responsibility. They all went to the grave shouting how important they were. It always gets worse, it never gets better. Lot's of people in the entertainment biz that are clean & sober (including myself) cringe when you come forward with a misguided voice of authority on recovery, & confirming all you think about is your self...... Really hope you don't die, or take out someone you love.

March 7, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Katy Ella

Piers...I'm sorry but I find you frustrating and boring to watch, an insult to your audience (how much can one discuss Sheen who is clearly mentally ill and in need of psychiatric help ), and I will stop tuning in. Your interview with Oprah highlighted just how poor of an interviewer you are. I noted how Oprah was trying to be diplomatic and graceful when you asked her how you did. I hope they replace you with a younger, good looking male with sharp interviewing and hopefully counselling skills (just like the networks do on many talk shows or news shows) !

March 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Katy Ella

Oh...I need to follow up and just comment on that Sheen interview. I was shocked and brutally disappointed when you referred to his show as a "family show" several times. That show is FAR from a family show. Sheen's character is a manipulative womanizer whose primary purpose in life is bedding as many woman as possible and the show totally exploits women and makes men look like stupid pigs...hardly what I would refer to as a "family show" with solid family values. What planet are you on Piers???

March 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Teresa

Piers
    I enjoy your show. You keep it light and entertaining. You laugh alot. The guests seem to enjoy it. Lots of questions – it moves quickly. Like the pace. So far, great guests. And you are certainly giving it your best shot.

But may I say..... you interrupt too much. Too many 'silly' questions. And you are such a creep!!!! You try and ask
    tough questions but mask them with ego worshipping adulation. It's too much.

People will tune in and watch. Cos it's entertaining. But they are not gonna say..... I love Piers.

But they might do................ if you step back a bit, slow down and be honest. Yeh, I think that's it. you come across as self promoting and dishonest. Be honest............. and stop licking a******.

But personally I find you and the show very entertaining.

March 8, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. imprenta digital

It is perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I've learn this put up and if I could I wish to counsel you few interesting issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things approximately it!

April 9, 2012 at 6:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. wein 1971

You realize thus considerably on the subject of this matter, produced me for my part imagine it from so many numerous angles. Its like women and men aren't fascinated until it's something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs excellent. All the time maintain it up!

July 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Cheap Neopoints

Attractive part of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to claim that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment and even I fulfillment you access persistently quickly.

January 21, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply