Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 8th, 2011

Clips From Last Night: Julie Chen and "The Talk" talk Sheen; Howie Mandel on OCD

On last night's "Piers Morgan Tonight", Piers Morgan interviewed the hosts of "The Talk" about the biggest issues facing women today, "The View" and more. But they also discussed one of the big stories of the day – Charlie Sheen. "Speaking as a parent, you only want the best for your child...and trying to put myself in any parents shoes who are facing problems like we're seeing with Charlie Sheen, it's heartbreaking," said Julie Chen. "I look at it from a mother," said Sharon Osbourne. "I know the damage that behavior does to a family."

Check out another clip from the show below – Howie Mandel talks about his lifelong struggle with OCD.

-–
Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Tom Lupinski

I Agree with the Ladies of Talk. Enough of Charlie Sheen. Lets have Charlie Sheen FREE ZONE. The more Air Time he gets the more we feed his ego that he is winning. If we all just ignore him perhaps he will seek help.

March 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Susan Muth

I was ready to turn the TV off on Monday night because I watched to hear from my girlfriends from The Talk and Piers would not shut up about Charlie Sheen. Yes, I do not want to see him, hear about him. He needs help and the media attention is not helping. Piers, please do not mention him tonight or one viewer may be gone forever.

March 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Boots Thomas

I agree with you...I was ready to turn off the TV. I love "the Talk"...I felt Piers was abusing them last night! I was glad when Leah said, "ENOUGH!"! If I want to know what Charlie is doing...I'll turn on "E"! I wanted to hear "My Girls"!

March 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Elaine Maidu

Everyone is ready to hear more about Charlie Sheen as he has obviously gone off the deep end, and has been a long time actor not just for Two and Half men. I think it was rude of the ladies to cut Piers off that way. I am sure they knew ahead of time what the topic of discussion would be. It's his show, and if he wants to discuss Charlie Sheen, they should have been sophisticated enough to roll with it. Instead they wanted to talk about themselves and their show.

March 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. JI

Unbelievable! Again with Charlie Sheen!!! One of the ladies said she didn't want to talk about him. "Here you have these amazing women and you are talking about Charlie Sheen!" Well Piers, you lost me for good. I don't think I'll ever watch your show again and honestly I WANT TO SEE THE NEWS AT 8 AM BEFORE I GO TO WORK – NOT THIS TRASH! Are you listening CNN???

March 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Darrin C

CNN I was really hipped up about Piers Morgan and looking forward to his program and interviews but after watching the two programs of trash about Charlie Sheen. I'm very disappointed with your programming, choice of topic and avenue CNN is taking. I would hate to compare you to Fox but sadly that seems to be the direction your heading. Please get back to the news.

March 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. pgh

So far, I am disapointed with Piers Morgan. Although I did not watch Larry King a great deal, I actually liked his method of interviewing better. AND, please quit covering Charlie Sheen. There are too many great people who should be given time.

March 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • irene gorbach

I agree. Piers Morgan seems obsessed with Sheen. It makes me long for Larry King...

March 9, 2011 at 6:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Theresa on the East Coast

Piers, you were extremely disrespectful and denigrating to the women of The Talk last night. First, they collectively told you that they were not interested in the C S story, but you pressed on anyway-through half of their interview time. You insulted them. it was like watching YOU in a train wreck. They have so much to say- intelligent conversation, that is not about the fool on the hill.
    Short ans sweet- I never once watched Larry King, so therefore could do without your show as well.... If the CS story comes up again, I will certainly not be a viewer any longer. I thought you might be interesting and intelligent..... not so much. Look at how you interview women versus men, and give up that ridiculous obsession with Charlie. He is a sick man, leave him alone. Look at your promo photos at the top of this page.... four of 5 images are hooks to the CS stories. Sad.

March 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. yhtak

Dear Mr. Morgan,
    I like you and your show A LOT. However I do not appreciate the exploitation of Charlie Sheen. Yes, your ratings doubled when you had him on the show but I really thought you were more ethical than that. He is a sick man who needs help. If you want to help him, get Dr. Drew back on the show to educate the public about addiction (not CS). For every family who has an addict as a family member, this is excrutiatingly painful. Bring back Dr. Drew and hold the contents of your show to a higher standard.
    Don't make money off the backs of the sick. It's just not becoming.

March 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. John

I'm guessing that the previous blogs are damage control for the The Talk ladies. I couldn't believe my eyes when Chen used her status as wife of a TV mogel to stifle open dialogue about CS. This is Iron Curtain behaviour ! Where's the freedom of expression? These women made asses of themselves! It only underscores what most of us younger gens already know...There is very little freedom of expression on US networks. It's why we all tune out of mainstream media. Piers is not yet aware as he comes from a more open Euro culture. The DoubleTalk is what these ladies should be called. Everyone is interested in the SC story. To say it is not frontline is pure BS!

March 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue

I agree with John's posting about the apparent "gag order" that was placed on the ladies of the Talk. Although, I understand that the women of the Talk are in a somewhat compromising position since they share the same production company as Charlie Sheen. It was so obvious to me that the panel was briefed before the show that they are not to speak freely about him. I was extremely disappointed with their segment. I personally think that Piers should be able to discuss any topic that he feels is of interest to the general public. At the current time, Charlie Sheen is the topic of focus.

March 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lisa

I realize Charlie Sheen doubled your ratings, but enough already. I've been a fan of Piers Morgan for quite awhile, but this week has been very disappointing. I didn't think there was anything wrong with having Charlie Sheen on the show, but since then it's been ridiculous. How about finding out both sides of the story before defending Charlie Sheen? It's that the first rule of journalism? Just because Charlie says he was fine and reliable on set doesn't mean it's true. And how hypocritical can you be Piers? I can't believe no one brought up the departure of David Hasselhoff from American's Got Talent. Very similiar situation, will you be advocating bringing David back to your show?

March 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Susan

I did change the channel. Started to watch and when Piers wouldn't get off the topic of Charlie Sheen I was done. I too thought it was disrespectful of the guests time and their opportunity to be interviewed about what they are doing.

March 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. val sweetapple

If Charlie Sheen has Bi Polar Disorder and is Manic, as a sickness is CBS allowed to fire him??.If he gets treatment wouldn't the American Mental Health Association step in to insist Discrimination!!!

March 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • nancy

I totally agree charlie needs help it is a disease and i have never heard of a good disease or one that does not effect the family or friends. sharon osbourn speaks from the heart and what kind of effect this will have on his family and friends no one gets away free not even charlie, it hurts, its sad just like many illnesses effect most of us at one time or another. Sharon has the most common sense and is a very special woman who has had to deal with two very difficult diseases in her life from cancer to addictions. And look at her now she is intellegent and beautiful as is her family.

March 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mandy

I want Piers to re-interview the women of "The Talk", apologize for the demeaning approach he took last night, and allow them the opportunity to discuss topics of merit. I also want him to NEVER again be as rude and and insulting to a guest as he was to Howie Mandel. Howie's honest and sincere reflection on the issues associated with his OCD was inspiring. Entertainers don't often make themselves as vulnerable. I was embarassed for all of last night's guests and disgusted with Piers interiewing tack. I've been a loyal Piers Morgan Tonight viewer but I will quickly stop if last night`s interviewing style is repeated.

March 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. RichDavid

The only interesting persons you have had on is Howard Stern & Charlie Sheen. What is it with Rice, Rummy,Goulianni and the ultra-conservatives nuts? Who ya gonna get next George Dumbya himself. You have more in common with Fox than CNN. I will not be watching. Long live Rachel Maddow!

March 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Mike

Bottom line: Sheen brings in huge ratings. Why do these network-employed biased individual bother commenting when the entire public knows their view (or lack of it) is slanted towards the network.

March 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. t j

When Larry King sat with Piers he told Piers the one thing he never did in ALL the years on his show was to give his opinion. NOT only does Piers constantly interject HIS opinion but he constantly interrrupts his guests and tries to make them say what he wants them too. I cannot believe he will ever make it to the status of someone like Larry King...he is way to overbearing and opinionated. Needs to let his guest be the guest and not always get his 2 cents in. Disappointed even tho he has good guests.

March 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CHM

I don't know how you missed it but Larry gave his opinion quite frequently during his last several years on LKL. Many times it was a challenging question to a guest which basically supported the opposite of what the guest was saying. He was very clear with his political bias. What he said to Piers is a good practice, but not one Larry routinely practiced.

March 8, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Eli

TJ... You are absolutely right. I miss Larry King... Piers Morgan ONLY gives his opinion. Tonight, you can feel the tension in the air with Donald Rumsfeld. It is crazy, newscasters are NOT suppose to do this. Can anyone tell me where we are going? Where are the REAL newscasters?

March 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Linda Kay

Add me to the list of people signing off on Piers Morgan. Rude, arrogant, interested only in hearing himself interupt people as if he has something to say more important than the guest. Sorry, CNN. You lost another viewer for that time slot.

March 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. SAS

PLEASE stop interrupting your guests... your interviews would not be half bad if you let them speak! Stop trying to push your agenda and interrupting them when their answers start to get real interesting. How many times did you do this with Rumsfeld??

March 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. ssmith

Piers Morgan has done a good job interviewing Mr Rumsfield. A little tension is good

March 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Roy (Pappy) Morgan

I cannot believe that nobody in charge at CNN has not yet told Piers Morgan that it is rude to keep interrupting a guest in the middle of an answer. It is disgusting to me, as a viewer, and to other viewers, you bet, when he does this and deny full answers from a well-informed and interesting guest like Ronald Rumsfield.

March 8, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • patricia

I agree, is anyone from CNN reading these comments??? How can we get through to them?? Tell Piers to just shut up, the show isn't or shouldn't be about him!! I can only turn the TV off when he talks constantly and gives his own opinions. Why does he even have guests when he won't let them speak.

March 9, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Tammy Raya

Piers please!!! Are you interviewing Mr Rumsfeld or trying him? I think after last night's fiasco show with the ladies and the CS fiasco you would be on better behavior tonight but, No! You have no respect for your guests (except for CS) and I can't watch anymore! I really liked your travel show and had high expectations for this show!

March 8, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. CHM

Piers, a very good interview with Mr. Rumsfeld. I think both of you handled it well.

March 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Betty

Piers, you're controversial, you're rude, you're impolite, you interupt and some people who used to watch Lacky King have even stopped watching your program !! Duh, as some would say, it appears you're winning !!!
    Keep it up sir! The handful who still used to watch the other guy should switch to un-reality TV.
    Incidentally, Piers, you were very kind to Rummy. I would have continued to asked why he kept handing in his resignation. CEOs of big corporations do not hand in their resignations unless they are over their heads or they have done something desparately wrong. In his case it was true on both counts. We continue to suffer for it today.

March 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Janay

I watched Piers Morgan twice and was so completely disgusted with his consistent and absolutely NON-STOP interruptions, it moved me to send an email to CNN, something I don’t do. With Rumsfeld on this evening, I thought I would listen. OMG (as the kids say) ... SHUT UP! I could not take more than FIVE minutes. Seriously, five minutes. Is anyone this so-called interviewer talks to ever able to complete one lousy sentence or thought. What a jerk. Sorry, but really, what an idiot. Interrupting Rumsfeld? Do you really think we wanted to listen to you, not him. CNN, PLEASE get rid of him. PLEASE? ! ? Gosh, I miss Larry King. So many missed opportunities, if only we could have heard the responses from the guests. CNN, either shut him up or get rid of him! I PROMISE you I could do a better job! That’s a FACT!

March 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Harvey

I never watched Larry because his ignorance and lack of intellect disgusted me.
    Larry had very few viewers near the end. Probably because of the same reasons I just gave.
    These few viewers are now complaining because Piers is bringing some energy to the program.
    The rest of us who just tuned in are loving the intellectual banter. If you don't like, checkout the geriatric channel, FOX.
    BTW-Rumsfeld wanted "he served" on his tombstone. Is that self-service or service to others??? Self-service seems to fit very well don't you think?

March 8, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. patricia

Really, I thought Piers was conducting interviews but he never stops talking or interrupting his guests. Ask the questions and then sit back so we can hear the answers. This show is not about you Piers, but rather your guests so stop with the digging in an attempt to create a story or start some rumors. You continually display your own opinions over your guests and this isn't interviewing, its journalism. You could learn a lot from Larry King, and I for one, will switch channels when you override your comments with those of your guests. You seem like a smart enough fellow so take advice from your listeners when we say we don't want to hear about you and your opinions, we are tuned in so we can listen to what your guests have to say.

March 9, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. carol

the question Piers should have asked the women "is how in the world did these women ever got a show? Julie Chen's husband runs the network perhaps that is the reason. I can understand why Piers asked about Charlie. Anything about Charlie would be more interesting then listening to these women. They make the women on the View look like geniuses.

My goodness....daytime programming must be in serious trouble to give these women a show.

March 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. christy webb-gibson

Not only was it ridiculous carrying on about Charlie Sheen during the women from The Talk segment (I would have liked to know more about their show ) I thought Piers was terribly rude to Howie Mandel at the end of that segment. Bit of meanness and juvenile bullying going on there. Trying to force a handshake, then a "punch: while laughing at him. I understood Howie walking off and can't believe Piers yelling after him something to the effect 'you'll never work again" or similar. Idiot.
    I'm sure HE was picked on, growing up. Go on, ask him. Arrogant bore, now.

March 9, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Name*Jen

Piers is doing great and I'm happy that he's not afraid to challenge these women with ties to CBS. They denied talking about pop culture and he called them out and pressed them. That is the mark of a good journalist. Those women came off as fools kowtowing to a higher power of CBS and the conflict if interest in Mrs. Moonves.

March 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Stephen Sirabella

I was getting to like Piers Morgan until he got Charlie Sheenitis. I looked forward to his evening show until it was dominated by Charlie Sheen which I must admit I found interesting in the beginning but enough is enough, let it go Piers and bring it back when something significant happens in the story.

March 10, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. amanda Broderick

I just want to add my name to the list of disappointed viewers...enough already with Charlie Sheen...why don't you,Piers, apply for the Intern position that Charlie Sheen has posted...you have been doing quite a lot of publicity for him on CNN and it hasn't cost him a cent...at least get paid for it...but I am tired of tuning on your show and there you go again asking your guest about their opinion of Charlie Sheen...you want to talk about Charlie then you talk about him around your water cooler but don't waste what little TV viewing time I have with your same questions and your opinions....at this point who cares...

March 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. susan richards

lets get real people. the only reason why they no comments on Charlie is because Les owns them. they work for his network. why do u think julie married her boss.

March 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply