Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 9th, 2011

Kid Rock knocks Steven Tyler for judging "American Idol": "I thought it was a bad move"

While a former "American Idol" judge, Simon Cowell, will sit with Piers Morgan for an hour on Monday, the interview with a true rock star, Kid Rock, airs tomorrow night at 9pmET/PT. Rock talks about Detroit, Iraq and more – but he also talks "Idol"... and specifically Steven Tyler. "I thought it was a bad move," said Rock of Tyler's decision to be a judge this season. "He's one of the most credible rock singers in American history. I don't agree with the premise of that show."

But what about the 30 million people who watch each week?

Said Kid Rock: "The last time I checked there's 300 million people in America, and I'd like to talk to the 270 million that don't watch that b******t."

He also said the "biggest curse would be to be famous without any money," and said many who star on "Idol" end up in that position. Check out the full, revealing interview Thursday at 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Kirsty

I appreciate his empathy towards former winners on Idol and that they are largely struggling artists even after the publicity this show gives them. The show is no better than Top Model and other shows that exploit people for sport it seems.

March 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. MC

Piers, I wish you would stop asking everyone who comes on your show what they think about Charlie Sheen. Every single guest for the past week you have been asking and asking and asking. It was enough that you had him on your show. He said it all. Also it seems an insult to you other guests, taking their time and probing them on there opinion about Sheen's debauchery. Enough already. I'm begging to think your are not capable to fill the shoes you find your self in.

March 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Beth

So often Piers asks a question and before the person can give a full answer, Piers interrupts with the next question. Piers talk less and listen more.

March 9, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Pawbug

To the contrary – Piers is brilliant. I've appreciated his more tolerant and fair approach to Charlie Sheen's saga. Piers is the first and ONLY person to get Charlie to calmly discuss what it would take to mediate his situation. Currently Charlie is just acting, but unfortunately his writer and publicist walked. He needs a new writer and publicist. His creative material seems to reference baseball, war, and warlocks, which are coincidentally themes from his career [epidode on 2+1/2 men was on witches] Piers, you and your show are impressive.

March 10, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sheila

Excellent interview with Kid Rock. Came away with a very different impression of him...genuine, savvy, charming.

March 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Myke

Same here. Like him more now that I did in the past.

April 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ger

Are you as naive as Cheryl Crowe? This man is weak between the ears and obviously wishes he had Steven Tylers recent paycheques. Tyler is the genuine one not this pickle. He's just a out of control head who actually thinks he can sing.

April 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Eugene

I was totally impressed with Kid Rock's interview! Never really knew what he was all about. He's one of the most level headed artists I've heard to be interview! And Piers, you're the man! Great show.

March 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LL from SH MI

I completely agree with the KID. Steven Tyler on American Idol is a blow to his carrer. Kid Rock has had to earn his own sucess from the ground up! Kid Rock is more patriotic then Steven Tyler and does alot more giving back then Steven Tyler ever did!

April 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Rene

AMEN Kidrock! I totally agree with what he is saying:0)

Piers, you keep asking the same question, until you get the answer YOU want...back off! I don't see you running this country, making the tough decisions that have to be made regarding war. You sit back and enjoy poking and "Bush". I think you should go back to the UK if you don't like how this country handles it's business...I just don't get you.

March 11, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. sky scott

i agree with kid rock he is so right about A I what a stupid show telling who can sing and who can't there are so many singers who sound like crap and make millions of dollars.

March 12, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. luis bezerra

This is Piers Morgan at Britains Got Talent

and this is how Piers Morgan did in one of many british host showsÇ

watch parts 2 and 3 also. Doubt many americans can keep up with the speed and humor of the show but give it a try.
    Only United States could hire Piers Morgan, such is his bad name in many flops seen by europeans in past decades.

March 12, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jimmy Z

Kid Rock couldn't tie Steven Tyler's shoes. For a guy who rips off riffs to criticize another who invented some of rock's best riffs is just more than I fathom. Kid Rock sucks.

March 12, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ScottL

I totally agree with you Jimmy Z!

March 30, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • le carter

Why and when did you hear , The Kid Rock speak ill of Steven Tyler he said that Steven has excellent talent, just thought he was better than the Idol show, face it American Idol is just not what it used to be. I think Steven Tyler is just taking a vacation by being on the IDOL show, it is a bit relaxing.

March 31, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ZoZo

he didnt rip Steven he said he held him in higher regard than to see him on a musical Jersy Shore. Kid Rock is very talented in his own right.

April 1, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. zil

I think wasting 1 hr on Kid rock was a completely waste of everyone’s time. . Pierce, I hope this is not the way this show is going to move forward. I’m really disappointment in your line-ups. This is not an example of a person our kids or American's should be idolized in any manner..

March 15, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Prema

I love Kidd Rock–such an amazing talent and highly conscious being–his consciousness is raised–he is no longer walking blindly in the world. Love him!!

March 16, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Prema

Pls hurry and have Alec Baldwin on–another amazing voice of our generation. This man has earned his stripes and has come through alot. He has much to share and offer–great human being.

March 16, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. BloughMee

Here's the deal, Kid R.. You're young enough to be my kid – and I like you even though you pretty much suck as a vocalist. When you had the act with Joe C, the big girl on drums... it f'ing floored me and I'm serious. It was great. You do have some talent.

But here's the thing– Steven Tyler was one of my FIRST major influences. 45 yrs ago he was tearing up Boston (the town not the band) – accused of being a "Mick Jagger Wannabe" – nothing could have been farther from the truth.

Buttload of hits later... buttload of fame later... buttload of R&R shenanigans later... Steven Tyler is giving back. Not just to the kids competing on Idol- to millions of kids aspiring to be performers. That's a great thing man – don't dis him for doing that. His commentary on Idol is constructive and helpful, unlike the acerbic hurtful Simon Cowell or the vacuum-headed Paula Abdul. Neither of them had anything useful to say to anyone.

He's also renewing interest in Aerosmith, and don't think for a second that he's not. There will be a whole generation of 12-17 yr olds buying the first 2-3 Aerosmith recordings thanks to Tyler's work with Idol. It's win-win-win and I'm behind him 100% Good for everyone.

March 17, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob Plant

Blowmesawich heres the deal, would you be ok with say david gilmore, John lennon, Robert Plant doing the Amercian Idol? If so then no need for further energy expended. The Kid just thought that Steven was lowering him self judging a for profit contest exploiting people for peoples entertainment, he also said to get out there and learn your shopw biz chops dont win them in a contest. completely correct in my opinion.

April 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Dprang

I love seeing Steven Tyler each week. This is the first year I have watched more episodes of American Idol due to Tyler and Lopez. Why would another musicican like Kid Rock talk down on Tyler? I do not get it.

Last summer I was at an Aerosmith concert.... and looking forward to hearing him perform.

I think it is good for the contestants to have the fresh imput from the new idol judges.... so peace to all...and Tyler – do your thing... I am sure many like myself are loving this season.

March 29, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Andrea

Well said Kid from one of the 270 million XOxo~A

March 29, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bonham

and 1 from this Canadian. bawtidibaw

April 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Bianca

Who cares what Kid Rock thinks about Steven Tyler or Idol?
    It doesn't make me dislike either of them.
    It's not like, what Kid Rock thinks about anything is important. I thought he gave Piers a good interview
    though. He's grown up a lot and is more mature than he used to be.

March 30, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Lorraine

I thought this interview was very unfair towards Kid Rock. The questions were posed in a bias way but Kid remained composed under attack and answered from the heart. Go Detroit!

March 30, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sean

Kid Rock is such a hack. Maybe if Warren Zevon or the guys of Lynyrd Skynyrd were still alive, they wouldn't have let you use their song. He wishes he was Hank Williams III. He's just jealous 'cause he has to use back up singers and Auto-tune to sound like a legitimate singer...

April 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Justin

Not to get too technical, but as far as viewing ratings go, 30 million would be the number of TV sets which were tuned into that channel, not the number of viewers watching. You could easily times that number by 4 or 5 and now you're talking about half the country. So, there's some apples.

April 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Tom

By his logic, since about 299,000,000 won't be buying his new album the million that do are idiots.

April 5, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. mike

morgan ure a da .cant believe they have u on cnn lol

April 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Robert

I'm surprised that Kid would take a shot at the number of people that watch Idol. Idol has been a huge success in the entertainment and music business. Anything that gets 20 million (current ratings) people together every week in the name of "music" can't be a bad show. Kid should let them do his songs.... besides that, I'm willing to bet almost anything that if Kid was offered 5 million bucks a week to do this show, he would jump on it.

April 12, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. kathy

kid rock is full of bull he is just so full of himself ..steven tyler is a awesome person and is doing a great job ..kid is just scared that another carrie underwood will come out of the show and show him up ..they dont need to scream to sing

April 20, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Isidro Jeudy

My wife and i have been very lucky Chris could deal with his basic research through the entire ideas he acquired while using the web pages. It's not at all simplistic to just continually be giving freely tactics that many other people could have been making money from. And we all consider we have got the website owner to thank for this. The entire explanations you've made, the simple site navigation, the relationships you can aid to instill – it's most incredible, and it's leading our son in addition to the family imagine that this subject matter is exciting, which is very fundamental. Many thanks for all the pieces!

August 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply