Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 14th, 2011

The conversation Piers had with Charlie Sheen to convince him to come on the show

How did Piers Morgan land the exclusive live Charlie Sheen interview two weeks ago today? He writes about it today in his weekly Daily Mail column.

Before we get to the booking conversation, here's what Sheen had to say to Piers last week after he was fired: "‘This is great news!’ he chuckled. ‘I’m winning!'" Now about that winning conversation...

From the column, here's Piers' play-by-play:

‘I’m cool, dude, winning cool.’
‘I don’t know if you remember, but I once interviewed you in Aspen.’
He laughed. ‘I remember. That was a fun interview.’
‘It was, and you were very kind to agree to do it. I want to return the favour.’
‘OK, I’m listening – shoot.’
‘All these other interviews are making you look a bit crazy because of the way they’ve edited them. I think you should walk into my studio tonight, live, and let’s do a more sensible, calmer conversation about all this.’
‘Live, eh? That could be fun.’
‘Uncensored, unedited. You can say whatever you want to say. And it will air around the world, not just America.’ Charlie paused for thought.
‘OK, you’re on. Let’s roll with this.’
‘Great. Is this 100 per cent? Because if it is, I’ll stand down the other guests.’
‘One hundred per cent. I swear on my kids’ lives, I’ll be there.’

Piers also relayed one conversation that occurred during a commercial break:

In one fascinating moment, he watched me doing a tease halfway through the show for my colleague Anderson Cooper’s Libya special coming up afterwards. In the break that followed, Charlie shook his head.
‘This is so ****ed up, man – how can I be news with all this **** going on?’

Read the full column here.

Post by:
Filed under: Across The Pond
  1. victor

SHAME ON YOU MORGAN. GIVEN SPACE TO THE LOOSERS, TO THE BAD PEOPLE, NOTHING STOP YOU MAKING MONEY. YOU ARE GUILTY OF DESTROYING GOOD SOCIETY HIGHLITING BAD PEOPLE. GO BACK TO TELL YOUR DIRTY LIES TO THE MIRROR. SHEEN IS NOT A WINNER, HE IS A LOOSER, HE IS DONE, DO NOT TRY TO TELL US DIFFERENT TO FILL YOUR POCKETS FULL OF DIRTY MONEY.

March 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter

It would appear that Charlie has snorted eneogh cocaine to kill Two and a Half Men!

March 16, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • DAVID WANJALA

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you man of God.
      I am ,Bishop David Wanjala Wanyama from Webuye –Kenya.
      Founder of Kenya Crown Gospel Ministry ,Married and together God
      Has blessed us with four chirldren ,three boys and one girl with other
      Three adopted children.
      I got in touch with your address on the internet and got impressed and
      touched with your ministry .I ndeed I am convinced you are aservant of God
      raised by Him at such atime as this for this reason.
      Therefore man of God ,my pray and desire is that if one day God can open the door
      And grace you to come to Kenya I am more than willing to host you in my ministry
      So that you can minister to the people of God in Kenya-Psalm 133:1-2;John17:11.
      God bless you.
      Bishop David Wanjala
      BOX 86-CODE 50205,
      CELL-+254-720285421.
      Amen.

November 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RUDY

ALL I KNOW IS MORGAN LOVES MAHOND AHMADINEJAD

October 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ann Terrell

I enjoy your show and watched your Charlie Sheen show with interest. What I couldn't understand is that all you t.v. and movie stars pay good money to belong to your union. What I can't understand is he made the comment on several occasions that he was told at the studio there were NO scripts to shoot. Quite frankly, I would have found out if other cast members were told the same thing, then I would have busted my but running into the union office and yelling about it. HA, if he fought smart he could have had the union out picketing and shut CBS down until they got scripts to shoot. In fact he is smart enough to be able to write the scripts himself. Unfortunately, he seems not to have good managers or employees to advise him on this. It would have been a much smarter move than the ranting he did and finally get fired. It seems he played right into their hands. I find it mind boggling that you can fire somebody, when you didn't have any scripts to shoot.
    I also watched your interview with Bret Michaels. He and Charlie have both made similar comments about not sleeping much, they 'don't need a lot of sleep.' This is an indicater of sleep apnea. Going without sleep can make you goofy as hell and eventually wrecks your health and Mr. Michaels health is not good. It would be nice if they went and had the sleep test done at a a very good clinic, and most big cities have good clinics. I was floored when I got my sleep test results, my oxygen had fallen to 79% and they said I was one of the worst cases they had seen in several years. I can look back now and see that was why I fought sleep. Also it would be nice if you had a show about sleep apnea to educate the public, maybe get those two to volunteer for the test and several others for a public service show.

March 15, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. onyinye

I enjoy your show very much and your choice of guests is very good. however, if you could not interrupt so much, the viewers could get a broader view of the guests' opinion. Furthermore, I am sure your polls will tell you that you have a lot of young viewers which is very good. But I can't help but agree Victor that shows like yours shouldn't be a platform for bad role models to publicise their unruly lifestyle to impressionable teenagers.

March 16, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. John Insley

Thanks for RVP, he might make Sir Alex Lord Fergie.

John, San Franicsco/Blackpool

August 15, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ireen Houben

Piers, you are terrific, but please keep this going. Don't let Sandy Hook fade away in the media. You have the power to start a grassroot movement. Do it. Do it now! I can see your anger. Let it fuel you to change the gun-freak America !!!

December 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply