Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 28th, 2011

Sen. Graham chides fellow Republicans: "I'm really tired of hearing people talking about 'it costs too much'"

GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham was a guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" and gave his reaction to Pres. Barack Obama's Libya speech tonight. While some Republicans have criticized Pres. Obama's Libya response, including Graham earlier in the conflict, he instead turned the tables and criticized those in his own party tonight. "We made mistakes in Iraq, and to my fellow Republican friends, nobody complained about the cost of Iraq or Afghanistan on our watch," he told Piers Morgan. "I'm really tired of hearing people talking about 'it costs too much.'"

As for the rebels: "These people who are fighting Gadhafi, I don't believe are taking to the streets and risking their lives to replace Gadhafi with al-Qaeda."

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Dave Chupinsky

I'm not against any of the foreign affairs that we get ourselves into. I just wish we would start investing and saving the U.S. for a change instead of picking the low lying fruit to fix our budget!

March 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Chris Hambrook

Piers, why don't you and other U.S. media reassure the American people that the majority of U.S. oil doesn't come from the middle east but in fact comes from Canada. Most Americans don't even realize that.
    Also, you keep talking abot France and the U.K. running the show in the Libyan conflict. Let's not discount the Canadian efforts not only in Afghanistan but now in Libya. We are serving with our American Brethren arm-in-arm.

Chris Hambrook
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

March 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Earnest

I fully agree with Chris. Three main oil suppliers to our country are (in order) Canada, Mexico and Venezuela. We import more oil from Ecuador than from Lyibia. And both Canadians and Mexicans are our best allies these days, meanwhile European are always hiding behind next election, while 85 % of lybian oil goes to Italy, Germany, and France.

March 28, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Attrill

It doesn't matter WHERE exactly the oil comes from – if the worldwide supply of oil drops then prices go up. If Germany, Italy and France can't get oil from Libya then they start buying oil from other countries (including Canada, Venezuela, and Mexico) and we pay more. It is basic supply and demand.

March 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Earnest

It DOES matter WHERE exactly the oil comes from – Attril's understanding of economy is that of a village-level one (if they don't buy in WalMart, I will get at Walgreens... that simplistics).

Germany, Italy and France and other Europeans through their oil companies (ENI, Total, Shell, BP, REPSOL) are making the BIG bucks out of Lybia oil. There is a huge duct from under the Mediterranean from Lybia to Italy, which carries most of the exports to Europe.

The Europeans want us Americans (and Canadians) to foot the bill of keeping their business running (and stability in their backyard). German economy is doing better then ours because of this kind of subsidies to them, and they don't want a commit a single plane, just because regional elections are close there.

March 29, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. wDavid Koch

Piers,guliano,Trump Three collective Asses capable of braying with perhaps half a thought between you all.

A wonderful mutual admiration society give yourself. Pat

March 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CHM

So basically you're saying you're a Democrat. Anything more profound to offer?

March 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Andrea Banks

Seeing you have DONALD TRUMP as a commentor on President Obama's Libya speech made me get my final opinion of your show, and I changed the channel. How can you ask the biggest Buffoon known today saying the same commercial sound bites he would say over a box of cereal, loving the sound of his own voice of ignorance on a serious show? I saw some decent interviews with others, but when you got a seat in the NEWS part, downhill all the way. Goodbye Piers.

March 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marti

I agree wholeheartedly! I am also fed up with Piers interrupting all the time and not hearing what the interviewee is saying. Also, he is clearly slanted toward the right rather than being an impartial interviewer. He should go back to being an Apprentice!

March 29, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Peter

Piers Morgan Tonight is a total train wreck. When is this show going to decide if is Entertainment Tonight, Bufoons On Parade or the Piers Morgan does the Chelsea Handler show. And I thought Larry King was bad.

March 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Annita Foley

Piers.. I am so dissapointed with you. You actually stated that you agree with Donald Trumps statements. Trump was the biggest loser on tonights show. To say that the US is the UN is BAD FORM. It is also untrue. How dare he say that every single country in the UN is a minority. I really think that his eye is on the pie not on the country. Obama is doing the right thing by helping save lives. The bottom line is not who is first or who is last to liberate Libya. The bottom line is that we are trying to do the right thing by keeping our promise to help when and if we can.

March 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. miles

Obama is doing exactly the right thing at the right time. Why are we all spending so much energy on what he or she would have done and we went in too late or shouldn't have gone at all. Of course everyone has an opinion and we all know that if they were in Obama's position they too would be in the hot seat. Obama is perfect for this era so just let the man do his job along with the UN Council. Piers it;s easy to find naysayers – maybe it's time to focus on what is right and find supporters of which there are plenty. Get Donald Trump off your show. I can barely watch your show anymore – its become so dumb.

March 29, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mary Angell

Piers, In your attempt to look strong and do hard nosed news, you instead look biased, unprofessional and egotistical. I don't mind that you gave candidates a forum tonight, but you agreed with them excessively and never asked the most imporstant questions, ie. "What would spefically you do?", and 'How?". You let Guliani say that what we really need is regime change in Iran, you never asked him "How?" When Trump said OPEC is laughing at the USA you never asked him "What would you do to Opec?" If you had you might have made news, or at least helped Americans see who their candidates really are. If yu insisted that they actually answer the question, instead of just pontificating, that is. I miss Larry, who never harassed some of his guests while fawning over other. If I wanted guest bating, antagonism and biased "journalism", I would just watch FOX.

March 29, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Happy Traum

Piers, you are sounding more like a Fox commentator than an even-handed interviewer. Your leading questions about the Obama speech to the likes of Giuliani, Trump, Graham et al. give the distinct impression that you're pushing the conversation against the president in favor of their right wing agenda. Even when talking to Democrats, your tone and the tenor of your questions is distinctly distasteful. I was so irritated I couldn't get through the program. Is this your attempt at the "fair and balanced" concept?

March 29, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stephanie

I completely agree! This isn't the news and shouldn't pretend to be. Piers makes me crazy everytime I watch him. He needs to go if CNN wants to be considered a serious news channel, what were they thinking??? Send him back to reality tv where he can give his own opinions about whatever he wants. It doesn't belong on a news channel. I never react like that but he gets me so relied up with the nonsense he says. Every time I've watched him it really shocks me that cnn would give him a primetime show?? Really??

March 29, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. sue

I am sick and tired of all this second guessing and arm chair quarter backing. It is sooo easy to criticize and sensationalize the news. There are clearly NO easy quick and clear answers to a very complicated ever changing situation. So DON'T pretend that there are. Obama has shown himself to be a steady careful and competent leader who does not act too quickly. Believe it or not this is often the wisest course of action.

March 29, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • LES TODD

YOUR RIGHT SUE , IM ON YOUR SIDE , GREAT COMMENT .

March 29, 2011 at 4:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sue

Oh by the way I too could not stand listening to you and will no longer be doing so. You are not a journalist but a fear generator and a gossip columnist who spends most of your time talking about what the President should be doing. You treat it like one big soap opera and unfortunately we are talking about REAL people who also wake up every morning w/the same needs/aspirations/hopes.

March 29, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Name*Ahmed

Well we are the one paying taxes. The people at senate don't care because they don't get laidoffs. So please leave Libya alone. We don't have no democracy in the USA.Iran is behind the rebels. We are making a huge mistake. Obama must go.

March 29, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Name*Ahmed

Obama must go.

March 29, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. miles

One more thing – Donald Trump states that not winning in Libya will be a major black eye to America – I beg to differ – the major black eye is not ever finding Bin Laden who the whole world was told was the premise to now a 10 year war on a massive scale. Not getting Bin Laden is your major black eye. Libya is a whole different situation and a group strategy to support the people and human rights. Obama like Sue says is a steady smart leader of our times who is confident and competent – he thought out his strategy instead of jumping in guns a blazing – look what that route did for the now two wars of 10 years and still going. Oh yea – where is Bin Laden?

March 29, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. stephanie

Piers show is the absolute worst show I have ever seen. I have never seen such a terrible tv anchor. How did he ever get a job at cnn. Please send him back to reality tv. I have never felt so strongly against a tv show but watching this show makes me and everyone else I know cringe and scream at the tv. You don't know what you are talking about at all and ask the most horrible and irrelevant questions. All you want is bad tv and stirring up stupid political propaganda. That is not news. Why don't you try giving people the news and keep stupid politics and your own opinions out of it.

March 29, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. McKinley

I don't watch opinionated news anchors, mediators or talking heads. That is why I don't watch Fox News or MSNBC. After watching tonight's biased show, if Piers Morgan remains on CNN I will no longer be watching you channel, as well.

March 29, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Lyne

I really wish Piers Morgan would shut up. I was looking forward to seeing your show when it was announced, but you are nothing but fluff and mindless chatter in the background while I am waiting for CNN World to come at 4am. I do my real news reading while waiting. Also, get your facts staright as to where your oil is coming from as my other countrymen have stated.
    MTL, Cabada

March 29, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. LESLIE TODD

DONALD TRUMP - dont seem to know much about forign policy's , he's allready talking his self out running for pres. in 2012 , he has no experience in politics , he should stick to his rental's , and stop bragging about his money .

March 29, 2011 at 4:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. LES TODD

I DONT THINK I CAN HANDLE 50 YEARS OF PIERS MORGAN / O" REILY

March 29, 2011 at 4:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. repubnut

Sen. Graham is a disgrace to the Republican Party and his State. The Republican Party should question Obama's reasoning for entering war without the Congress having been involved. The reason Obama gave isn't ground to attack !!Using this as a reason we would have to attack another 1/2 dozen countries..What is his REAL reason of ATTACK ?? With him being a Muslim could have had been partially the reason.

March 29, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Wes Brewer

Why Donald Trump? Trump knows how Corporate controlled economics works and has made a killing using it, and in his own way, contributed to the decline of the Middle Class. In a real Free Enterprise system he would fall on his backside. He is nothing but a corporate system manipulator, one of the capitalist collectivist, who thinks his form of collectivist capitalism is different than communist collectivism. The only difference is which system is the best at putting cash and power in the hands of the very few. Collectivist capitalism wins hands down in the short run-–Then what-when cash, the means of production and power peaks at the top, revolution is sure to follow. Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes. Cash and capital bloated CorpRats want it all and intend to get it. Sorry Trump your kind will go the way of all collectivist of the past when the economic revolution back to Free Enterprise comes. May not be in your or my time, but it's coming.

March 29, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Michael Ragusa

Last nights interview showed the world the mentality of the Republican party.. Rudy Giuliani really made it clear how the GOP wants to end the final days of the US economy ATTACK everyone !!!! The worst thing about the interview was The host of the show !!! Piers your wrong to be so opinionated... CNN prides themselves on being neutral "keeping them honest". Yet you attacked your democratic guest like he was the villain.. president Obama is the best leader the US has had in decades..If President Obama went to the congress the Republicans would have delayed a vote for weeks.Thousands could have been killed before action was taken
    The GOP has some good core values but the Racist, War Machine mentality has to stop.. Piers if you continue with your approach on your show it will be a short lived career on CNN..

March 29, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply