Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 30th, 2011

Rod Stewart on his hard-partying past: trashing hotel rooms, dangling keys

Rod Stewart will be Piers Morgan's guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" this evening, and the duo talked about life, love and Stewart's new baby.

But Stewart also took a trip down memory lane, and relayed several stories from the road. It included drinking and drugs, of course, but that was the beginning. "We would dangle our Holiday Inn key in front of the girls," said Stewart. "And they'd all be back at the hotel." And then there was the trashing of the hotel rooms after. And which group name did Stewart start checking in under after hotels started catching on? Check out the clip above.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Wendy

Piers,I can't wait to watch Rod Stewart tonight on your show! You always do Fantastic Interviews with all your guests!
    Now, all I have to do is wait till 9pm EST to watch your Interview with Rod!
    Once again Piers,
    Cheers

March 30, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MK

I always enjoyed his music from that era. I was like 11 or 12 back then and my sister's loved dancing to his music. My dad had passed away a couple years before, so it gave us something fun to do with our mom.

April 2, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Wendy

I forgot to say, I am a true Rod Stewart Fan and have all his CD's, DVD's etc...
    Also, I was totally honoured May 23 / 2010 to have had a Meet and Greet with Rod at his Concert in Birmingham, England.
    I was totally speechless but had a Fantastic time and so did my English Husband! Man, Rod sure knows how to do Fantastic Concert Performances! We can't wait to see him live Saturday, April 2nd in Toronto, Ontario Canada!
    Cheers,
    Wendy

March 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JT

I just saw the show at MSG on 3/27. You won't be disappointed, at least not with Rod. Stevie I thought, was a little flat.

March 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zach

The coolest thing about Mr. Stewart is the fact that he is an avid and gifted HO scale model train hobbiest. Wendy, if you're a true fan, then you'll also have copies of the two Model Railroader magazines in which Rod was featured. That's being a fan!! I hope you saw the humor in my post; just wanted to let you know about an often overlooked side to the rock star. Peace

March 30, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Wendy

I was totally mesmerized when Rod said he does Model Railroads. He said, "Prior to each Concert he Brings his Models to past the time away." Yes Zach, I didn't even know this till last years interview that Rod had with Seamus from CTV NEWS. So, that is when I bought the Decembers, The Model Railroader Magazine where Rods Photo was seen on the Front and his story inside. Indeed Zach, I am a true Rod Stewart Fan! Yet, he never used to talk about that yrs. ago till last yr. So, I guess this is things True Fans like myself didn't even realize. So, I can't wait till Tonight maybe to find out any other info. I didn't know about!
        Cheers!

March 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • JIMSTER

ACTUALLY, SO IS NEIL YOUNG.

March 31, 2011 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Gayle Wilmouth

Hi Wendy...You will enjoy the concert so much...Just saw him and Stevie in Atlanta 3/24/11....Such a great show! Have fun

March 30, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Wendy

Thanks so much for the info Gail!
        It sounds like the Rod Stewart & Stevie Nicks Concerts in Atlanta were awesome!
        Well, out of all the Rod Stewart ones I've been at, I was never disappointed! He sure seems to
        always have a lot of Energy and his Performances are always Out Of This World!
        I can't wait till Saturday to see his Concert in Toronto, Ontario!
        Take Care

March 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fancyboy

Hey me- you only wish you'd been with as many women as Rod the Mod.

March 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. abbybutch

If you think Rod is wild, maybe sometime Piers should interview ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER and hear about some of the ring rats he has seen in action.

March 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. appauled

Rod Stewart is a dead beat dad. He should be ashamed of himself with his tribe of children all over the planet. He loves them and has kids and then leaves.
    He has not enough time in his day to take care of all of his gazillion kids and ex-wives. he hands them money.
    Mind you, he isn't alone in that club. I hope his newest wife gets that by now. She is just about up to be thrown to the curb.
    What a joke.

March 30, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gayle Wilmouth

you may call Rod Stewart a lot of things....but one thing you can NEVER call him is a Dead beat Dad.....He May have had women...wives...whatever....but If you know anything about him...You KNow that most of the time his CHILDREN are with him....not the moms.....

March 30, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Rejin

Hey Deanna, the show looks awesome! I know weird mode of iqriuny, but I was wondering if you or Ed had anything showcasing in Paris right now? Thanks,Ross

April 4, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sharon

Blondes may have more fun Phyllis but brunettes make much much more money.

March 30, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Betty Taylor

OK I was Rod's biggest fan until he cancelled on March 20th in Sunrise Florida. I was so thrilled to finally get to see my all time favorite singer!! What a blowing crush instead. Not only will I never be able to see him again but I lost over 2000.00 in airfare and hotel costs. Getting a refund on my tickets doesn't even cover the pain in my heart. He could have rescheduled the show instead of just blowing it off with no thought for the fans or what they go through sometimes to see him here in the U.S. No longer a loyal fan here

March 30, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • KLukas

I can totally understand the enormous disappointment of the cancelled show. But you wasted $2,000 on airfare and hotel? I would have still went on my trip if there was a no cancellation fee on the hotel & air. This seems kind of stupid to me.

March 31, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ken

I worked the Faces Farewell tour in the 70's. Psychotic partying, groupie abuse, and unbelievable behavior were the norm not the exception.

March 30, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Bill D.

Rod Stewart is a pig...and known for being notoriously cheap.

March 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shahien

Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just cuuiors if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.

April 3, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Anthony Shea

Rod Stewart is not a pig but a gentleman. The stories you hear about trashing hotel rooms & not paying bills, etc. Those are tools that all rock stars used during the nineteen seventies to gain notoriety. The truth about Rod Stewart is he’s been seen with some of the most beautiful women in the world.

April 3, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. grossedout

was a big fan til the story 'bout the tummy pumping...

March 30, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jay Man

Actually, the story that Rod Stewart had his stomach pumped is an urban legend. It never happened.

It's funny kids from the late 70's have all heard the story when Rod Stewart just finished a concert, was rushed to a hospital, needed to get his stomach pumped, and lo and behold guess what the contents were. But the truth is it never happened.

March 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ken

that story is actually about Mick Jagger.

March 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gayle Wilmouth

Then even though the story is untrue...You obviously was never a fan of the MUSIC anyway....

March 30, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Neetu

We would like to thank you just as before for the ovlely ideas you offered Janet when preparing a post-graduate research plus, most importantly, regarding providing all of the ideas in one blog post. Provided we had been aware of your web site a year ago, we may have been rescued from the needless measures we were having to take. Thank you very much.

April 3, 2012 at 4:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Bianca

Rod once called himself Phyllis. I heard Elton John mention that. Did that mean he was a switch hitter?

March 30, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wendy

Hi Bianca, Rod was named Phyliss, only when he was in the Long John Baldry Band.

March 30, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Susan

I still love his music from the days of the FACES ONLY (well, Jeff Beck, too) but it was all downhill from there. And he is pretty much a turd. Has B.O., too. And, if he himself and others are calling him Phyllis, well??? South Park should air their little Rod Stewart segment. hahahahahahahahaha

March 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jay Man

This story is an urban legend. No truth to it, Never happened.

March 30, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel

you know this because you have been with Rod every minute of the day since Maggie May...right

March 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Victor

16a14035112you're in point of fact a good webmaster. The wbesite loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a great task on this subject! 18d

May 20, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Andrew Mathisen

Great interview with Rod Stewart! I go back to the Faces & Gasoline Alley myself. All the best to Rod and compliments to you on doing some revealing interviews! Keep up the good work!

March 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. kk99

Pig, cheap, dead beat dad... Don't know... but I find him quite likable and he appears to be fairly humble, considering all he's got. Always liked his music, but I don't think I ever seen him in an interview. I find the interview enjoyable… and Morgan seems to shut up long enough to let him talk!

March 30, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Juhak

Brilliant interview. The best ever. Engaging revealing humble funny surprising. Good job Piers. All the best, dude!!!

March 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sandara

try cleanin it with ehtier a rifle cleanin kit compressed air or maybe a few drops or gun oil in the chamber or make sure there is ehtier the co2 is full or that it is pumped enough

April 4, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. dale

THE HOUR WITH ROD STEWART WAS REALLY SUPER
    WOULD LOVE TO WATCH ANOTHER HOUR AND SEE THE TRAINS

March 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. monika griffin

thank you for having Rod on..saw him in concert 4 yrs ago, in LONDON, ONTARIO, CANADA at the John Labbatt's Centre, I was in total awe.
    I enjoy watching your show

March 30, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Polly

Piers, great interview with Rod Stewart.

March 30, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. MarcusAurelius

Once again we have the nauseating spectacle of one Brithole interviewing another Brithole on BBCNN. Some of us don't give a good god damned about the UK or anything that goes on there. That's what BBC is for. What is CNN for? Damned if I know anymore.

March 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aprille

Get over it !

March 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Leila

Just wanna input on few general tignhs, The website design and style is perfect, the written content is very good. I delight in men over seventy. They always offer one the devotion of a lifetime. by Oscar Fingall O'Flahertie Wills Wilde.

April 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Patty Ann Conway

Just wishing you a wonderful #43 birthday today...Just love, love your show. Such true, interesting interviews you put together...look forward to each night to enjoy laughs, tears, and solid information...Have just the best year ever...Hope you will win the Emmy this year...Just a fan...Patty Ann Conway.

March 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marge

Wikipedia put Piers at 46 on March 30.

March 31, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Anthony Shea

Rod Stewart is a part of our lives. He entertained all of us with his music even before we learned his name or saw his face. You showed such common ground with him this evening that your interview was as if we were having a conversation with him face to face. Thank you.

March 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Wendy

Piers, You did a Fantastic interview with Rod Stewart! I have watched so many interviews of Rod and this one you did was totally smashing Piers! It would have been great to see Rods Model Railway, but I guess he keeps that private.
    I found that Rod sure talked about more info. I never heard about in previous Interviews!
    This was totally worth all the wait just to see it!
    Cheers!
    (Wendy From Canada)

March 30, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Wendy

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PIERS"
    Hope you have a Fantastic One!

March 30, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. wan24q

Piers...I am a musician from the same time as Rod. Your interview was very enlightening and entertaining...I was never really a fan of Rod's, but of his music... but found myself captivated by this interview. Keep up the good work.

March 30, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. carlos

Piers,
    this was really a fun interview and something nice to watch in the middle of all this world pain and chaos. Rod is really a cool guy, maybe because he was a soccer player. Plainly said, a down to earth guy, love him.

March 31, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Marcy Braunstein

So glad this long-awaited interview has aired. A great interview with Rod Stewart and nice to see a fellow Brit interview him. Rod was so personable and so open. It was great to see him relaxed and at home. He seemss very content at this time in his life–personally and professionally. Very impressed that he opened his third floor Minature Railroad to Piers. What a special treat. Rod's an unbelievable entertainer. At age 66, he's still touring as strong as ever. His voice is in top shape. And he looks great! You have to catch him on tour here in the states. He is fantastic! Thank you Piers-for bringing us an intimate time with Rod!

March 31, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. tamtam

why are you addressing your comments to pierse like he is actually reading this nonsense? and side bar to appalled you are right on track!

March 31, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Rhymeskeema

Plenty of praise for this kind of degeneracy. Nothing but shock over today's shock.

March 31, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Tammy Childs

I only saw part of this interview, while I was at the Gym tonight ? Anyway, to get a full copy of it, anybody know ?

March 31, 2011 at 3:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. kevin

nothing worse than a British football crowd. or a Brit for that matter

March 31, 2011 at 5:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Rock

YOUNG TURKS.../yawn
    I personally think he's overrated and this new jazz singing he does has GOT to go. But the ones that walk 2 sides of the fence usually get the largest crowds ie. Manilow
    Ok, back to giving it to Snooki

March 31, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Klukas

In my opinion I love him even more with the great american song book he came out with.

March 31, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Andreas

Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you dolawond it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your theme. Cheers

December 17, 2012 at 2:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Susan

Love Rod Stewart and enjoyed the interview last night. I have tickets to see "Heart & Soul" – Rod Stewart & Stevie Nicks at their next show. It's great to see these two musicians still wanting to perform and put out new work. I didn't know much about Stevie Nicks solo but saw this: http://www.youtube.com/user/StevieNicks and she looks great!

March 31, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Arglebargle

Is that old Queen still alive?

March 31, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. wnjt3244

He couldnt sing when he was young, he must really stink now.

March 31, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Rod's Rod

Regarding the stomach pump urban legend. In a Rolling Stone interview in the mid 80s, when asked about it, Rod denied it by saying "what do you think, that I had my way with a bunch of sailors." Well, I looked back through some old Rod Stewart albums after reading the article and what did I find? On the back of one of the albums about the time of the alleged stomach pump incident was a picture of Rod and his band...all dressed as sailors. Hmmmm.

March 31, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Chris H

I lost respect for rod stewart when he disrespected his former bandmates and refused to do a reunion tour with the Faces a couple of years ago. Not only would it have been a lot of fun and a huge thank you to the fans, but some of the other guys like Ian MacLagan could have really used the money. Rod also refused to let Ronnie Lane sing lead vocal on any stuff with the Faces, even songs entirely written by Lane. Oh yeah and then there's the shmaltz-fest that never ends, the "Great American Songbook". Stewart's got a good voice but he's really squandered it.

March 31, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

I agree with you 100 percent. But he is very selfish. And Mac's Hammond cannot be replaced in any of those songs. Poor Ronnie Lane...makes me sick. Ronnie Wood - love Ronnie. Kenny Jones...excellent drummer who ended up with The Who for awhile. Rod skipped out on the band and any loyal Faces fans know that. Mac, Ronnie and Kenny were probably better off without him at the Reunion, even though it would have been such a treat. They don't need him and his "stuff."

Long live the true Faces. And to Ronnie Lane...you live on. Kuschty Rye Forever!

March 31, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Adele biography

Hi there, I found your site by means of Google at the same time as searching for a similar topic, your web site got here up, it appears great. I've added to favourites|added to bookmarks.

July 18, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Eastern Pavilion Boutique Resort and Spa

I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i am glad to show that I've a very excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I most undoubtedly will make certain to don?t overlook this site and provides it a look regularly.

August 29, 2012 at 1:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. tralopia

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favourite justification appeared to be at the web the simplest thing to consider of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while other folks consider concerns that they just don't recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the entire thing with no need side-effects , other people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

September 17, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse | Reply