Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 20th, 2011

Stacey Lannert describes her father's abuse: "I didn't know the words to tell someone what was happening"

Stacey Lannert was just 18 when she shot and killed her father. She was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, but was given a commutation in 2009. Part of that reason was the long history of sexual abuse by her father. She now has written a book, "Redemption," telling her story of survival, and her interview with Piers Morgan airs tonight.

"He didn't actually rape me until I was nine. That's the first time it happened," she says. "My father was an alcoholic and he would try to quit drinking and during those attempts our life was more peaceful, less violent." Hear her describe the moment she shot her father and her time in jail as well, tonight 9pmET/PT. Also airing tonight – Piers' sit-down with Larry Flynt.

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Jeane

Is she sure that the man that she murdered is her real father? Is it possible that her mother had an affair with another man and she is a product of that affair?

April 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

and this is relevent because...?

April 21, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lois Helene

My heart goes out to this young lady. She seems to have found a purpose, changing a bad thing in life into helping others. God Bless. When she said she asked for "mercy" it made me realize that there are many others in the prison system that neeed "mercy". But if the politicians have an "adjenda" and the "corporate"/ privitized prisons and judges with their own missions (example: Judge Amanda Wilson(? NPR New last month, of Georgia)... then do inmates or those in the "system" really have a chance? I have a nephew who got 60 years! for when he was in juvy, he and two others had an idea to beat up a guard and run. The guard lost her eye and almost died. The kids were only 17. It was a year the governor of Indiana (female?) was on a mission to make a statement about "bad" kids. My nephew was a scholar/ athlete and made some stupid teenage mistakes. The case is riddled with errors and "double jepordy". Could the guard ever 'forgive". Is 60years really justice for a kid who did not plan a killing nor kill. One of the kids involved hanged himself in jail after the sentence. I think there needs to be mercy here. How can that happen? My nephew is going to prison college. He has a good heart he is talented and joyous as well as remorseful. How can judges and these cases for mercy and such lengthy sentences be overturned? I am concerned about many, expecially youngsters who get long sentences. And what about the "authorities who have another selfish mission other than justice. Could you do a piece on our prisons/sentencing/judges/corporate/privitizing and those who own the business and are also able to set a sentence. Thank you Mr. Morgan. I enjoy and appreciate your work. Sincerely, Lois Helene. 231-409-7320. Suttons Bay, Michigan

April 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LauraName*

Beat up a guard who lost his eye? While in juvie on another charge?
      This guy sounds evil, and I'm glad they got him before he murdered.

November 12, 2018 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Betty Morton

I was very touched last night while watching Piers Morgans interview with Stacy Lannert.. Tears came to my eyes several times and then a deep felt joy and peace that she had found the peace of mind, body, and spirit she had never known before and is continuing to experience even today..Stacy is a role model for all women/girls, and I hope she continues on this blessed journey she is taking, continuing to tell her story and changing hearts and minds all around the globe..Miracles do still happen even today, and Stacy first along with her early release is a testament that God still is continuing to work here on this earth where so many have closed their minds and their doors to Him, how sad.. Keep up your strength Stacy and may God always, always, continue to Bless you and give you peace of mind..Had I heard about this at the time it had occurred, there is no doubt, that I for one would have believed you even then, as I am all to familiar with the feelings, emotions, and internal pains that always follow these types of atrocities and abuses..You should never have gone to prison, however this is your journey and it is where you found God and a miracle, and of course, "Hope" once again...Take care Stacy, you certainly deserve it...

April 21, 2011 at 5:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Maija

I was very moved by your interview with Stacey Lannert. She is a very strong young woman and I admire her for finding the where-with-all to overcome everything she has gone through. I can relate to her since I too was abused by my father. My abuse started when I was five. My father had no excuse – no drinking, no drugs. He was just a pervert. I did tell my mother when I was eight and I was on the verge of suicide. She had "words" with him and promised me it would stop. Needless to say, it did not stop. It continued. I ran away to my uncle's house when I was fourteen. Again, they said it would stop. Again, it didn't. At eighteen, when I finished school, I told my guidance counsellor and left home for good. After, I got married, had children and when I was in my forties, I had my father charged. He was tried, found guilty and convicted. He got four years. Guess who's side my mother, uncle and the rest of their family took? Not mine! Fortunately, I had told my best childhood friend and my guidance counsellor. Otherwise those liars would have gotten away with their lurid crime.

April 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply