Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 29th, 2011

Piers Morgan on Princes William and Harry: "We will remember them having to walk behind their mother's coffin"

Tonight, Piers Morgan helps us relive the royal wedding with a two hour special. In this clip Prince William arrives at Westminster Abbey with his brother Prince Harry. Anderson Cooper, joining Piers this morning, commented "there really is a sense that these two have been raised differently than previous generations of royals."

Their mother died when they were teenagers and their father, Prince Charles, primarily raised them. "The last time these boys went into the abbey in any formal sense was their mothers funeral," Piers noted, "when we will remember them having to walk behind their mother's coffin as very young teenage boys."

The two hour special begins at 8pm ET/PT. Visit the "Piers Morgan Tonight" facebook page to catch up on footage from the week. You can also follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on twitter.

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live • Royal Wedding
  1. Julie

There's a saying "give me the boy until they are 7 and I'll show you the man!" something to consider when you speak of how the Princes where raised. Not trying to discredit Prince Charles, but Diana layed the foundations, tackled the tantrums and always put 'her boys' first.

April 29, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Ul

Well said! Your comments on age and development is absolutely true. A good example is the Imafidon Wonder twins and siblings. They are known as the smartest siblings ever after passing their High School (GCSE) Mathematics at the age of six, and passing college level exams at seven. University undergraduate studies at eleven, in spite of being inner-city school educated. See http://www.imafidon.com/ and http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/school_league_tables/article7044675.ece
      Then, off to the University of Oxford at 16 for a Masters degree. You either get them at seven, or lose them for life.

May 1, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Christie

Piers, I really enjoyed your commentary during the royal wedding this a.m. on CNN; your enthusiasm, obvious pride and sense of humour really made it enjoyable and sure got a couple of 'lols' oughta me. Thanks.

April 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • karama

The Royal Wedding for Prince WILLY and CATTY was so EXCITING and IMPRESSIVE.

May 2, 2011 at 4:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sandy Estes

I never thought I would EVER feel sorry for you. That changed last night. The giggling laugher was borderline rude and Anderson Cooper didn't help matters any. (Made me miss Aaron Brown all the more.) I was glad that I was taping the ABC coverage. You have my sympathy.

April 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lynn Landau

Amazing! Piers Morgan's commentary on the royal wedding made Richard Qwest look thoughtful and measured. Arrogant, constantly interrupting the other commentators. Anderson Cooper seemed embarrassed and a bit annoyed. I certainly was. I turned on E! Entertainment's more dignified coverage. When is CNN dumping this guy?

April 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • debra

YES!!!! I was beginning to think I was watching someone else when no posts came up about ths POMPOUS ASS!!! I am leaving you now to post my comment!I was infuriated when William and Harry were greeting the Spencers in the Abbey and Morgan tiraded abput Dianas mother being a drunk,alcoholic,and the boys avoid that part of the family!I mean out of Left field he comes w/ a totally disassociated thought, disgusting and innappropriate!Of course only 2BILLION were watching!!!! He should be FIRED!!!Everything was just lovely and then....ZINGER!!!I am still SO ANGRY ,can't type fast enough.What an Opportunist!!!!

April 30, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • john kpikpi

Perceptive and accurate comment. Some of Piers' comments were sadly out of place. I also feel that his interviewing skills are agressive and he does not give enough opportunities to the person being interviewed to speak and be heard. His style is not pleasant and it looks like he will be better off interviewing himself.

May 2, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marc

CNN, can you hear us???? when are you dumping this jerk that should work for the BBC!!!!

May 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Annamarie

Piers
    you are pathetic and all like you, There is no blue blood or commoners the people who like to call themselves
    King and Queen and are supported by the people are just the bullys who years ago faught and beat the
    other side in War. So glad the US doesn't have this ridiculousness

April 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • debra

Yes he was a JERK!!!! Thankyou Anderson,for saving the commentary w/ some class.Piers is a Pompous---! CNN has too much invested in him now w/ Larry King's old time-slot, or am sure he would be on a boat back to England ,a Chinese junk would befit him,or a garbage scow.!

April 30, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. B Ritchey

Piers, your commentary and the banter between you and Anderson Cooper were absolutely delightful – really enhanced the viewing experience for me. (You and Anderson could do a stand-up act!) A great day for those of us here int eh U.S. too. Thanks!

April 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Maureen

Piers, please stop being an apologist for Prince Charles, and denigrating Diana and her family.

April 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Eugenia Smith

Piers. On your 8 P.M show this evening , you made a comment about Royalty and commoners... then saying all Americans are commoners. Well I resent that. we Americans are not commoners, we are United States Citizens. all equal... That to me was an insult..
    P.S. I enjoyed watching the wedding, and William and Kate do make a lovely couple.

April 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cay Green

Piers, thank you for the wonderfully insightful coverage of the royal wedding. Your personal memories and knowledge of the royal family, the guests, the music, the traditions made this event so much more poignant and meaningful for us all. And, as a side note, you did out shine Anderson Cooper by a mile in that gorgeous suit!!! God save the Queen and bless the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

April 29, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. paula

piers......you must be exhausted. great job on the coverage of the duke and duchess of cambrige. personally i love the tile .... princess. she and her family were so beautiful and classy......all my thoughts and prayers are with them and thank you for the beautiful memories p

April 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Barb

Piers, You did a magnificent job in your coverage of the Royal wedding. This was first class coverage that honored the beauty of the occasion. William and Kate have all of the hope and prayers we can give to show the world, and most of all themselves, the beauty of commitment and love. A true fairy tale! You elevated television coverage to a new high level. We'll keep watching. Thanks!

April 29, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Carol

Dear Mr Morgan, The issue of Royals being "FORBIDDEN" to marry CATHOLICS should have been addressed.

April 30, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • lynn

The head of the church of England is not supposed to marry a catholique..muslim etc..Perhaps that should change however it has been so for hundreds of years. Perhaps some of you should get a llife!! Why do you have to be born in the US to run for President? Half of the citizens are now foreign born..will you change that? what hypocrits..if you can't be happy for someone else you are pathetic!

May 1, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Michael - upstate NY

Piers, I thought the wedding was amazing, A true fairy tale come true. Do you think the Royal couple will ever come to the United States for a visit?

April 30, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mary Maude Henry

Sorry Piers, your coverage was embarrassing, ribbing Anerson Cooper for hours about his pronunciation etc is not my idea of professionalism, and all this patriotic drivel, the heart of every British citizen etc you acted like a schoolboy!!
    I agree with Lynn! MMH

April 30, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Carlos

Piers, I tried to watch your program on the Royal Wedding, but the number and length of advertisements made it unbearable. Even my children were begging me to find a better channel. It made me consider the benefits of a DVR, this way I could watch your hour long program in half an hour!

April 30, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. ronda lee

Hooray for Will and Kate!
    Long live the Queen!
    Cheers, Piers!

April 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. IKHAN

About time we return from 'fairy tales' to reality.

Turn attention to what matters most to us Americans & America.

April 30, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • margie

Couldn't we please take a break from reality now and then?

April 30, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paulette

The USA is admired for many things..but the one thing that is not admirable is that some of you can think of nothing but yourselves!! you are a perfect example of that apparently. I can be happy and enjoy others ...I wouldn't want to be as self centred as you!

May 1, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Debra

Piers was an absolute ASS no other word for the creep!!! Pompous,condescending Jerk! HOW DARE he denigrate Diana 's mother(alcoholic,drunkard) the reference was inappropriate ,unfounded and completely irrelevant. I am sick of these Brit's getting paid the big bucks here in U.S and trashing us. GO BACK, have the Brits equal your U.S. salary! !Just last week the little pudgy brit, Kelly Osbourne trashed us Americans horribly re: our interest in the Royal Wedding !(see google video Access Hollywood) Trashed US on Americans accents! YES !! this from a girls English drug-ridden family that can't speak ENGLISH!!! OR pay TAXES!!! Deport all these ungratefuls, I've had enough .Piers, call BBC see if their hiring, I will NEVER watch any program w/ you involved! CNN get rid of this over-rated RAT!

April 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynn

I agree that Piers should not have talked about Diana's mother. However Debra some of us are not prone to your type of anti British rants...I doubt you will be missed much!! It might be pointed out that in my opinion Mr. Cooper made some comments that I considered insulting..I won't go into it...but to me the man is an A–. Still I very much enjoyed the wedding and the great pomp and ;pagentry. And no I am not English!! I just have some manners!!

May 1, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. IKHAN

Enough admiration for others, I say. Its just that when it becomes an obsession on the airwaves and all else fades into insignificance, its too much.
    And yes we do care about others that's why we with our Brit friends go on bombing sprees in far away lands to help.
    And you know what? While we Americans seek diversions elsewhere, our politicos get us deeper into trouble. That's why an American like me and many others would rather stick to what is going on in our own country.

May 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Marty

Piers, Just want to say that your comments were very much enjoyed here. Love that there was a Brit commenting on the Royal Wedding. Your insight and obvious pride in your homeland were right on the mark!

May 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Klara

Mr. Morgan, I don't know who exactly has given you this job at CNN! Whoever it is, he/she has certainly been out his/her mind! Why don't you get a job at BBC and cover Kate Middleton and alike for your countrymen instead of wasting our time with your celebrity guests and silly back and forth conversation you have with them. Your program is really boring and so not made for CNN!

May 1, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Jim Judge

Piers,
    Kudos to you for heartfelt comments and mature hosting of the wedding. One observation- in the summary on Sunday night, you commented on the RAF flyover, but didn't mention that the planes that flewover were the planes that won the Battle for Britain – I am sure that what you heard the unique sound of the rotary engines-that brought back strong and visceral memories of the older people watching. I felt that this was quite fitting.

May 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Marlene Brooks

Piers,
    Do you think the operation of killing Osama Bin Ladin the reason the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge canceled their honeymoon? The world leaders would be on high alert in case there is some retaliation.

Marlene

May 2, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Jan Horvath

The Monarchy has been saved thanks to Kate and William!

Check out this fun celebratory video
    Its Their First Kiss – The Smooch Smooch Song!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O00tb72yXVU&w=640&h=390]
    Enjoy!

May 2, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Marc

Mr. Morgan should move back to England and CNN should hire an American or bring back Larry King occasionally.

Piers sales pitch (during the wedding)on how the British monarchy is alive and well is nauseating. I don't know how Anderson Cooper could listen to that junk.

We are Americans and we don't need to hear about something we did away with more than two hundred years ago Mr. Morgan!

May 2, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Maame

I love the wedding it was perfecto i am so happy for Prince William and Princess Catherine

May 3, 2011 at 4:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. musician

You really make it appear so easy with your presentation however I find this matter to be actually something which I think I might by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very large for me. I am having a look ahead to your next submit, I'll attempt to get the hang of it!

April 5, 2012 at 4:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Pates

Hi,

Hope I posted this in the right section but if you are looking for relationship advice please checkout my page!

April 15, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply