Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 13th, 2011

Clips From Last Night: Chaz Bono announces his engagement

Last night Piers Morgan sat down with Chaz Bono and his girlfriend Jennifer Elia to talk about Chaz's transformation from a woman to a man. The pair has been together for six years so Piers asked them if they'll ever get married. "We've been engaged actually for two years," Bono said. "We're big supporters of marriage equality and that's kind of weird now to be able to do that."

Chaz's step-mother Rep. Mary Bono-Mack talked about how Sonny Bono would have felt about Chaz's transformation if he was still alive...

"My hunch is he would've been frustrated or scared or worried," Bono-Mack said. "But eventually he would have come around and done what you do and that is you love your family."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Chris V.

Piers: You were out of line last night (Thursday, 5/12/11) when you pushed the issue of whether Chaz and his girlfriend are going to get married. That's a private, complex decision that a couple makes between themselves. You have no idea whether this couple is good marriage material or not. How arrogant and stupid of you to think you're in any position to tell this couple to make one of the most important decisions of their lives based on your extremely limited perception of where they stand in their relationship. Did you think you were making good tv? You weren't, at all. It was obvious that Chaz was uncomfortable with your insistence they marry as was my husband and me. It's safe to assume a good portion of your audience found this segment of the interview ridiculous and beyond inappropriate. Stay in your lane, Piers. You may think you're lord of all, but you're not.

May 13, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • hurdur

Wait it's impolite and wrong to ask a couple that has been together for years when they are getting married? Erm. Nope. I think you're taking this way too seriously all he did was what he's supposed to do, to query about their lives... I don't think there was anything wrong with that at all.

WHEN ARE YOU GETTING MARRIED GUYS!?

June 14, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ama Lelia

THANK YOU FOR UR MASAGE.

May 13, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. L

announcement on your show? news flash? scoup? you should be ashamed of yourself. they didnt announce their engagement, you dragged, pulled, bullied it out of them til they had no answer but to say yes to shut you up. shame on you, i'll never watch another show, and that poor excuse of jesse james you plan on interviewing you disgust me. this show has been dipped in sewage and stinks. :(

May 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. renee

Piers morgan is a complete idiot..he thinks he knows whats good topics to blab about..bullying someone out of context is just pure evil.. Someone should press charges against this low life.

May 14, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lynn

Piers I was disappointed that you did not ask Chaz about whether he had a penis or not. Did he have the full operation? I would like to know if he did the complete change.

May 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. B. Hawkins

I am sick of seeing Chaz Bono useing his parents name to get attention to himself. Nobody cares what he does, and who cares if he is a man or a woman. Does he even have a job? He is ugly and he really seems to think that the public is interested because of his parents. This is supposed to be a primetime exclusive, than why has he been on every show going? He is useless, and his girlfriend needs to give her head a shake.

May 14, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Robert hall

Chaz Bono has absolutely nothing to do with the gay & Lesbian community and should not be lumped in with them. What he is diagnosed with is a condition, being gay and/or Lesbian is not a condition, it's the way you were born. Being Gay or Lesbian is not a psychiatric condition, what Chaz experienced is, putting us in the same boat take Gay and Lesbian rights and advancement back to the 60's when it was still a mental illness. I'm so tired of transgendered and "body confused" people jumping on the Gay and Lesbian wagon, it is totally different.

May 14, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • anonymous

Didn't seem like anyone was saying that. More like they banded together to get fundamental rights...like not being killed for not being everyone else's idea of what they were supposed to be. (ie. society was wrong. society lied about a lot of things...this is just one more.)

I was impressed with Chaz. He comes across as very honest to me. (I don't think he should let anyone pressure him into marriage though.)

May 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Cathy

I have friends who experienced the transgender process as a couple and am grateful to have them as friends. They helped me understand the science as well as the interpersonal parts of it, and I feel honored to have witnessed the transformation. I give Chaz and Jennifer a lot of credit for being so honest and forthcoming about the experience. They will help so many others who are struggling.

May 14, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Butch

The kids are alright! Chaz has the studly glow of a younger macho buck and he still has the great smile his parents gave him!

May 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • April

I agree! In the past and present pictures it is very clear to see that he is a happy man.

May 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. April

I am truly surprised byn the amount of negative comments about Chaz. Its great that because of his parents being who they are Chaz has the opportunity to be on shows and share is story and his life changing experience. Your average transgendered individual is not going to get called by Piers. No matter who his parents are his life was real life and a real life issue and experience that us average Joe's experience he should tell his story.....I give him and Jennifer a great deal of credit and wish them the best in the future. It's great they have a strong relationship and if they can make it through this then they can make it through anything. I enjoyed the segment.

May 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Linda

Amazing interview, Piers,

May 15, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Linda

AMAZING interview, Piers! I'm so impressed at how candid and revealing– and at the same time, articulate and REAL– both Chaz and his girlfriend were. So refreshing to see this kind of thing on mainstream, primetime media to educate the general (and generally close-minded) public. I was especially taken with Chaz' girlfriend; she is one very special human being!

May 15, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. kimberly

I didn't watch, first show I missed. Not interested, couldn't care less. Too odd of a subject, don't want to understand.

May 15, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • after39years

"too odd of a subject. I don't want to understand".

Yay, let's all keep our heads in the sand. It's fun to be ignorant! USA USA USA

May 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. karen

piers: i understand what you were trying to do by pushing the marriage thing. you were normalizing him for your audience. but, the audience who stayed watching the show, already had normalized him. it's the people who turned it off who needed your help. i thought you did a great job and treated him with dignity and respect and I thank you. to me, you seemed to want to distinguishe yourself from the david lettermans who's learning curve may be a long one. your questioning was sensitive and respectful and, while I don't want to compare you to larry king (who I appreciated), i would have cringed to see larry interview chaz. "So, does your penis work?"

May 15, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. madhater

Hey d!ck heads how's it goin? I didn't read the article, sounds g@y:(

May 15, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. James

In answer to Robert hall (see his post), The transgender people are born "transgender", just like the gay & lesbian people. Only because the medical community chooses to label people with "disorders" doesn't make them right or their opinions true. The human embryo is so delicate that any hormonal imbalance can affect the brain and not the body and then you have a transgender child. It is real physical condition and not mental.

May 16, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. CDOcasualty

Chaz is channeling Gary Shandling!! Watch it again. Chaz's mannerisms and speech are just like Gary's.

May 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Robert Hall

Thank you James for confirming my point, it's a condition, being Gay or Lesbian is not a condition so we should not be lumped together. I will fight to protect their rights, just don't put me in the same category. A man "trapped" in a woman's body is not the same as a man attracted to another man.

May 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barb

So if you are a man trapped in a woman's body, why not take more female hormones instead of taking male hormones. whats wrong with working with what you have. Also, who is Chaz helping. Anyone with this condition doesn't need his opinion to help them make decisions, as they would have their own doctor. What does he do for a living???Mom???

May 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Hazel

"So if you are a man trapped in a woman's body, why not take more female hormones instead of taking male hormones..."

That has actually been tried in the past. The reason it didn't work was that gender dysphoria (what transpeople suffer from) is when your mental gender does not match the gender which you were identified as at birth. The dysphoria comes from this disagreement between the brain and the body. So, what happens when a man trapped in a woman's body tries to further feminise his body with female hormones, is that it actually makes this dysphoria worse because it increases that gap between brain gender and body gender. The only thing that has been found to work is to alter the body, decreasing as much as possible the gulf between the body and the brain.

June 2, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Zezenxs

Here's some news and call to action for October 30, this one in San FranciscoOver the last coulpe of weeks, we have been energized by the Occupy movements and are proud to be in solidarity. Last night’s raid in Oakland and the assault on peaceful protesters by police is a solemn reminder that we must continue the fight to ensure that the voices of low-income immigrants and communities of color continue to be a part of the discourse and that peaceful protest is allowed.Our members have declared, “We are the 99%”! Many of our members and their families came to the US in search of an American Dream, but instead have experienced wage theft, unemployment, and no or little access to health care. Many of them have also been moved by what is happening across the country and have been adding their voices to the We are 99 movement.Check out their We Are the 99% stories.As the income gap and inequality continues to grow and low-income and middle class families continue to suffer, it is time for us to demand something different!To continue education in the Chinese community about the Occupy movements and the growing inequality in the US, we will be holding a public educational this Sunday! Come and join us and share your own We are 99 story! There will be street theater, discussions, and educationals on the Occupy movement.In Solidarity,Alex TomExecutive DirectorEvent Info:We are the 99% From Wall Street to ChinatownDate: Sunday, October 30thTime: 10 am to 1 pm. Program starts at noon.Place: Portsmouth Square (at Kearny St and Clay St), Chinatown, San FranciscoWhat: Theater, music, performances, discussions, and refreshmentsQuestions? Call 415-391-6986 or Email

March 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Mary Pratt

OMG, it so sacred and scary to me. I watch Chaz or her first name on Wendy Williams and "The View", I tried to get a
    meaning to this, but I could not. The reason 's why, I was not born in Chaz shoes. Then I wonder as a little girl, did a nanny or nannes mess with this child and reroute her life into this. Heaven and Chaz only knows.

May 19, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aleidiane

Thanks for hosting. I am glad to have found it here and will check out all the voiecs out there. Great job!

March 3, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. K. I. Schmid

I am very unhappy with they way you interviewed the former President of Pakistan..... I asking that CNN brings in an American, not a foreigner, for this show.

May 26, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Mariee

I felt like throwing up after watching that show.

May 27, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. mark koenig

You can't change your dna, your genetic coding is what it is, either you have the Y chromosome or you don't.(Sure there are exceptions but let us stick to discussing the rule shall we.) You don't get to arbitrarily call yourself whatever you want. Michael Jackson wasn't actually white regardless of all the steps he took. We are adults and not children, and should not be living in a land of make-believe. A little testosterone and having your breasts removed does not a man make. Just because you feel you are something in your head that doesn't then mean that is true, otherwise the homeless guy down the street really is Jesus....

June 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hazel

There are certainly exceptions, as you say. Transpeople are one of those exceptions where the chromosomes don't tell you the whole story. I mean, think about it. It's a very delicate balance that goes on in the womb, when hormones cause different things to occur at different times. Given how many genetic and/or congenital abnormalities there are, actually having a completely normal child is somewhat of a miracle, given how many children are born with problems and how many children never exist due to miscarriage. Transpeople are just like children born with club foot, a condition like any other. Also, I'm not female just because my genitals are a certain way, and you're not male just because your genitals are another way. There is a whole lot more to our gender than that.

Furthermore, you are actually completely right. Testosterone and breast removal does not a man make, absolutely. These people (like Chaz) were already men. Surgery and hormones would never change that. Transmen do not want to "become men". They are already men. What they want is to decrease, as much as they can, the gulf between their body (female) and their brain (male). It's not perfect by any means, but it's what they have, with current medical science. It's the best they can ever get towards having a body that matches their brain.

June 7, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Elphaba

Chaz. You have fame and fortune. How about getting a membership to a weight loss center.

June 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Steve Gloyd

Piers.....Let me start out by stating that I watch FOX News on a daily basis. I truly believe that I can decipher the the news and make my own decisions on what I view as right, wrong or inderrerent. As an informed viewer, I also like to watch CNN, and get another "take" on the story on the day. I feel more informed that way. Over the past few weeks I have been tuning into your new show. I have been overwhelmed by your interviewing techniques and skill. I've only seen you on a few reality programs, and didn't have an opionion of you, other than you seemed a little smug. But that's OK.....maybe its a British thing. :) Tonight, your interview with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was fantastic. I was impressed at your ability to navigate the dialogue with the Governor on difficult topics, and then bring the conversation around to a relaxed, humorous tone. And then, when you were at the Christie residence, you completely floored me. The interview was so casual, it seemed as though you were a family friend. I can only imagine that your interviewing skills are just that finely tuned. I have never written a note like this before. I guess I wanted you to know that I recognize and greatly appreciate your talent.

June 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. mcnasty

Seriously, I like how everyone plays into the whole left-right paradigm of politics. The government (CIA) controls everything, inclyuding cnn and fox news. HEY PIERS, INSTEAD OF COVERING A NOBODY, WHY NOT COVER WHAT HAPPENED AT THE BILDERBERG MEETING THIS PAST WEEKEND?! Oh yea, that's because the gpvernment writes your script and like the puppet you are, you comply with reading it to the masses that hang off of your words.
    infowars and prisonplanet. google it folks.

June 15, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Artem

Holy cow! I can't believe that's legal. I'm going have to talk my dagehtur tomorrow to see what happends to bad kids at school.

March 3, 2012 at 3:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. parajumpers

In 2005 Parajumpers emerged from Segusino of North Eastern Italy. Influenced by Alaska's 210th elite rescue squadron the garments easily fuse kind having performance so you can stand up to even awful of attributes's factors in design. Parajumpers Jackets Canada joins the very early stages of the sales Parajumpers Outlet.
    parajumpers http://www.downjacketsse.com