Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 7th, 2011

Mitt Romney on gay marriage, Mormonism and whether they intersect to form his personal views

Mitt Romney is a guest on this evening's "Piers Morgan Tonight" (along with Ann Coulter). He talks about his views on gay marriage. "The gay community changed their perspective as to what they wanted," Romney told Piers Morgan. "I opposed same sex marriage. At the same time I would advance the efforts not to discriminate against people who are gay."

But what about the way Romney's religion, Mormonism, looks at homosexuality?

"I separate quite distinctly matters of personal faith from the leadership one has in a political sense," he said. "You don't begin to apply the doctrines of a religion to responsibility for guiding a nation or guiding a state."

Check out more of Romney's interview tonight at 9pmET/PT, as well as Piers' sit-down with conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. VC

Would have been nice if PM had allowed Romney to finish his response to the questions asked.

June 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. maria diamond

I would not want a president who NEEDED to do that.

June 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bob7704

Come on...this is another story flip by Romney. He has stated that his Faith will guide him. Now looking at the beliefs of the LDS Church, gives me great concern. Most Christian Churches don't believe a Morman is a Christian. I don't care. What I do care about is what they do believe...burning bushes, lots of wives, Jesus lived in Ill, magic underwear, woman are 2nd class and a very guarded way of conducting their personnal lives. Obama/Romney care are the same animal..your a member of a CULT..own up to it. If the GOP can't come up with better than this...Obama's a 2 termer.

June 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Billster

Come on Bob7704. Get a life and get better educated. You probably think the show "Big Love" has something to do with the LDS Church? Nothing, period. That would be like tellings us all here that the Catholic Church has something to do with how the BCS bowl games are put together. It really is that ignorant. Polygamy ended in 1890 my friend. Practiced in the OT and sanctioned by God. You can take it up with him in your spare time. Your other comments are just as funny. Jesus lived where? Give me a break. Do us all a favor and go to mormon.org and get all of your facts straight. Please come back and tells us what corrections you would like to post. You remind me of the guy who went to the Ford truck dealer to ask him why you should buy a Chevy truck. I know LDS women would like to debate you on calling them 2nd class.

June 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • BJSPU

this has to be the dumbest comment I have ever read... Surprised this moron can even use a computer!

June 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CL

Bob, your comment is flawed in so many ways. The one that you should really do your research on is your comment that women are 2nd class. That is not true at all. I would suggest that you talk to some LDS women and see if they feel that way. Perhaps you will learn something and you will not be as inclined to write about things that you know nothing about.

June 7, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dan

These are scare tactic comments that I have to assume you heard from someone else. Be careful believing everything you hear. Visit mormon.org.

June 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Robert

Don't believe everything you read. In addition to mormon.org I would recommend looking at exmormon.org. There is much more to this issue than simply buying the company line and running with that.

June 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnBoston8

You would be taken maybe slightly more serious if you A) fact check before you open your meaningless barrage of intolerance B) use proper grammar and spelling.

June 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Retha

Bob,
      Bob 7704
      We don't practice polygmy. I am a woman and we are not treatead as 2nd class citizens. We are respected and hold important jobs in our church of leadership. We do not believe Christ lived in Illinois. The only burning bush we know of was when Moses was at Mt Sinai in the bible. The garments are sacred and symbolic, Just like the priests and nuns have for their outer clothing in the catholic church.. We also know that we are christen. Our proper name is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" You need to go to http://www.lds.org or mormon.org and get the truth. You obviously have been listening to religous bigots and it sounds like you are one too.

June 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • ldean50

You might be "christen" as you wrote; but your views are not "Christian" views. just one example. We believe in one heaven – you believe in 3 levels and single women cannot get into the highest "celestial" level. You believe in the Book of Mormon, we do not recognize the Book of Mormon in Christian churches . . . etc, etc.

June 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

. . . one more . . . I think somebody got the Illinois/Jesus thing mixed up. What they probably meant was the fact that The Book of Mormon teaches that when Jesus returns, he will be to present day New York state (where he met and spoke with Joseph Smith). We don't believe that, because we don't recognize the BOM. Your sacred garments are not anything like Catholic garments which are optional and priests, ministers wear certain garments only during services. You have taken an oath in the temple to wear your garments underneath your clothes and underwear, to be worn against your skin – not optional and worn at all times, perceived as a covenant of faith, security from temptation and evil and a promise of blessings.

June 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

You are using a half-truth, Idean50. It is true that Mormons believe marriage is ordained of God and that eternal marriage is required to reach, as Paul says, in 1 Corinthians, a resurrected glory like the sun. However, what makes you think that any women will be single when the end comes? To say that a good, honest, faithful woman would be denied the blessing of marriage is to deny God his omnipotence. You can think what you want, but I prefer to believe that nothing is impossible for God.

June 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

If Mormons believe Moses saw the burning bush at Mt. Sinai – then there is another difference between Mormons and Christians. We believe Moses saw the burning bush at Mount Horeb. The story of Moses and the burning bush does not appear in The Book of Mormon, but the Old Testament.

June 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

@Idean50 – garments to an LDS person are symbolic of their obedience to God. Do mormons criticize some for wearing crosses around their necks? No! So why should you criticize the garments that a Mormon wears? I love my garments! They have been a blessing in my life. They are a constant reminder of my love for God and what is really important in life (God, love, family, service, obedience). They don't inconvenience me or anyone else. I can only guess that you are equally critical of the burkha that Islamic women wear.

June 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

@Ralph T . . . you stated, "As for women (and men) who are single through no fault of their own, what makes you think they will stay single before the end comes?" My reply is . . .I have seen it. I know many women who died single. Again, I'm not arguing who is right or wrong. I'm saying your beliefs as a Mormon are very different from mine, and no . . . The idea that God commanded marriage is singularly a Mormon belief. It is not a belief shared by Christians, and we do not perceive being unmarried as being disobedient to God. I will say once more . . . I don't know if you are right or if my beliefs are right as St. Augustine taught us, perhaps we are too minor to understand the mind of God . . . I am ONLY saying that Mormon beliefs are not the same as Christian beliefs, and you have helped me point that out with your statements. I think we are in agreement here. No argument.

June 7, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

Just because someone dies single doesn't mean they will stay that way. Any more than a person who dies blind will never be able to see. I ask you to broaden your thinking. God is loving and just. Both mercy and justice must prevail in God's kingdom. If a person lives their life as best they can, with faith in God and love for their fellow being, and that person dies single despite all they can do, no merciful God will keep that person from experiencing the joy of marriage. An opportunity will come. So you see, the fact that no unmarried person will live with God isn't a far stretch.

June 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph T

Bull. You obviously know very little about the LDS faith. And what you do know is so twisted that it bears little resemblance to the real thing.

June 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

I don't really feel a need to weigh in on the specifics nor am I qualified to do so, however, I will just add the level of bigotry and hate in your comments is disturbing. Were you directing those comments to Jews, Muslims, Blacks, Hispanics, or any other religion or ethnicity it would not be tolerated in the slightest. There is no place for such bigotry in politics.

June 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan303

You and others like you do not know what you are talking about in regard to the Mormon church. Instead you spread fear and ignorance. I am Mormon and Christ is central to my religion and I regard myself as a christian. I thought being a CHRISTian is someone who bellieves in Christ. Years ago when the Mormons were driven from Illinois it was because of bigots like yourself. This counrty is way past that point now or at least I hope we are and I hope a little more intelligent then you seem to be.

June 8, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laurie Tucker

Study up on the LDS church dummy! You're rediculous in your thinking and confused about what you THINK you know! So sick of people like you making comments when they have no idea at all what they're talking about. PS- look up the work "cult" and see that it applies to many different groups who share same beliefs! Focus on the facts, and do us all a favor and please don't vote!

September 25, 2011 at 4:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Diane

Bob, bob bob ...... clearly you don't know any real facts about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Before you start making such passionate quotes, you should really do your research and know what you are talking about. I would suggest actually speaking with a member of the Church who knows the doctrine. You might find that we're not so different. If you don't like Mitt Romney, you'll have to find other reasons because right now, you're all wrong, my friend.

February 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

With all due respect, you definitely need to get your information straight. I don't know where you got all this crap about the Mormon religion, but it was certainly from a very cynical, untrue source. Also, the Mormons stopped practicing polygamy years and years ago, and I'm sick and tired of ignorant people shoving that in our faces. Yes, we did believe it for a while, but we also happen to believe in respect for the law as a religion, and the law dictated that practice was criminal.

Get your information straight. Please.

February 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • hayley

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I must say, EVERYTHING you just said is untrue. We are without a doubt a Christian faith. Our Church is named after Jesus Christ, we get baptized in the name of Christ, and we take the sacrament every Sunday, promising to take upon us the name of Christ. We read the Bible and the Book of Mormon. As for our "magic underwear," that is taken the wrong way. It has no special powers, it just covers more of our body than normal thongs and panties. It actually serves as our guideline for modest clothing. And any member of the church who is found practicing polygamy is excommunicated. Polygamy is seen as a VERY serious sin in our church. We do believe in things that are controversial for sure, but I encourage all to ask Mormon missionaries or church members to learn about what we believe, because it is so very misunderstood. People who do follow these things will call themselves "Mormons," but they are not a part of our church, they are part of the "REFORMED" Mormon Church, which is like a rebel group that broke off from us. I don't discourage voting for Obama, I just don't want Romney's campaign to spark hate against my Church that I'm so proud to be a part of!

June 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • vp

You definitely need to do some more research on the LDS Church, Mormons! We are Christians and the name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You are very wrong on many points and should know what your are talking about before you post information incorrectly.

October 31, 2012 at 5:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. MD_LA

Blah Blah Blah... that was just a mouth fulla crap. Seriously? "I support 'some' equal rights... just as long as gays know their place." he never did explain how "gays changed their position." How, Mitt? We suddenly wanted to be treated as equal? How DARE we demand such a think. I DO NOT trust this guy. He sneakier than Bush.

June 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MikeinTexas

The LGBT community IMHO went straight below the bible belt by calling for gay 'marriage'. Civil unions and domestic partner benefits are governable tangible rights. Much more palatable than gay marriage. Give me the benefits and protections afforded therein and I don't care what you call it. That is between the couple and their faith.

June 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Bruce

This video is the best insight to Mitt Romney other than his book "No Apology" http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1661840169999707395#

June 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Delroy

Bob, in no way are women considered 2nd class in the LDS church at all; nor do they believe in polygamy. Mitt's biggest problem is not his religion – its his idiocy and hypocracy in his political views.

June 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robert

I respectfully disagree with your view that Mitt’s biggest issue is not his religion. From my perspective, his Mormon faith is the biggest elephant standing in the room that few want to acknowledge. All Mormons know that Mitt raised his right arm to the square and vowed to support the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints above all else – even over one’s own life. This was his solemn covenant. My question is – when or where does this oath stop? It’s clear to me from just listening to Mitt that he’s in total alignment with LDS policies and values. It’s also clear that while Mormons claim to love gays they do so under the “hate the sin and not the sinner” clause. It makes me wonder how much sway the current LDS Prophet would have with the white house if Mitt were elected.

June 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Retha

Robert,
        We do not raise our arm to the square over all else including our life. You have been misinformed. exmormons are people that have not studied the gospel of Jesus Christ and have forgotten everything that they were taught. The websites http://www.lds.org or mormon.org are wonderful websites and you would be surprised that this exmormon was full of it.

June 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

June 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

Just be aware if you go to lds.org (as described below) that is their main propaganda platform. You cannot learn the "secrets" of the church until you have gotten written permission to go to the temple. The Mormon church has bought up most of the web site names that have anything to do with the word "mormon" in order to kill the opposition, so you have to be careful that you know who has created the site you are reading.

June 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

@Idean50: Sounds like a lot of paranoia on your part. I am Mormon and I've been to the temple and there is nothing that goes on in there that is weird or strange or uncomfortable. On the contrary, it's a beautifully peaceful place.

June 7, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • vp

Robert
        Our prophet would have NOTHING to do with Mitt Romne's decisions and choices while being the president. Mittis his own self and our Prophet would not do that. Don't assume stupid things like that.

October 31, 2012 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
    • ldean50

Unmarried women in the Mormon church will never be allowed into the highest level (of 3 levels) of heaven. . . and you don't think that is treating them as 2nd class?

June 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ralph T

Really? And where do you read this???

June 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

@Ralph T . . . you can find it in The Book of Mormon D&C (Doctrine and Covenants if your non-mormon) 131:1-4. You're welcome!

June 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

It says nothing about being second class citizens in there! And let's be real – if you believe that God commanded Adam and Eve to be together (and in fact performed the first wedding ceremony), then you have to believe that marriage is a commandment. If a woman (or man for that matter) decides not to marry are they not being disobedient to God? If they aren't being obedient, then logically how can they live with God??? God doesn't wipe away unrepentent sin. As for women (and men) who are single through no fault of their own, what makes you think they will stay single before the end comes? Is anything too difficult for God?

June 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scott Bertolio

Everyone is acting like Mitt is the only one who doesn't agree with gay marriage when over half of America feels the same way. The Mormons are not a cult and they don't hate gays. They just believe in traditional marriage what's so wrong with that. Everyone changes their position at some point in their life and Mitts no different. However Mitts been the most consistent candidate so far. Infact Obama has flip flopped more then Mitt in the last 3 years and most of them has been his campaign promises. For example he said we reduce the deficit instead he doubled it. He said he would close the terrorist prison that I don't know how spell but it's still open. He said he would pull us out of Iraq but we are still on the country. He said he wouldn't allow the unemployment reach past 8%, now it's over 9%. He said he wouldn't have any lobbyist on his board now who knows how many he has I know it's more then three. I'm sure their is more I just can't think of them right now. The more I think about he is a bigger flip flopper then Mitt and Kerry combined.

June 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jonah

I love it!!! He states he's opposed to gays being married, but then says he seperates his religious views!!! Now, Mitt, if you are seperating your religious views, please, by all means, share with us the origin of your opposition to gays being married!!!!!! I'd LOVE to hear what secular "logic" he's used to establish his opposition!!!!!!

This clown is hilarious! What a joke!

June 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. john

June 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • lol

Psst.. Christ is a lie too.

June 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

@john, "mormonism is a lie.... So is every other religion made up by men who are influenxed by the devil. Christ is thuth. He came here to testify to the truth. Mormonism, hindu, jehovah witness, islam, catholocism, wicca etc all lies"

In what are you basing your faith in Christ? I can only assume that you base your faith in Christ in the bible. Does it confuse you that Christ establishes a church with apostles, teachers, priests, and so forth. He instructs them to meet together oft, and commands his disciples to go forth and baptize in his name. While I do profess a religion, I am not making a case for any one religion here. I am simply confused at your logic. If you profess faith in Jesus Christ, one would have to assume you believe the bible, and if Christ taught of an organized church how can you believe all churches of lies and evil... On what teachings do you base your logic?

June 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • hayley

Wow, that is SUCH an ignorant thing to say. I am a Mormon, and I have great faith that my church is true, but I would never say anything rude about any body else's personal or religious beliefs. I think that anyone who dedicates their life to any church or high morals is a respectable person and should be treated as such. By the way, Mormons and Catholics DO believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior, just like you.

June 4, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. j

We don't need any more religious nuts in the government. I don't care if they're Christian, Mormon, or whatever.. They have proven time and time again that they A) lack the capacity for rational thought, and B) will indulge in the grossest of hypocrisy; telling you what you can and can't do with your own mind and body while they do whatever the hell they want.

No more Christ cultists in government.

June 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott

Sorry to break it to you but everyone you gains office will try to force their ideas on everyone else. It doesn't matter if they believe or don't believe in god. Everyone has ideas, values, or lack of. That's why we need to keep government small. Then it won't matter that much who is president, they won't dictate your life.

June 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • j

Yes, I realize that anyone who wants power as badly as these people do should automatically be barred from having it, but we have to work with what we've got.

The reason I single out religious people over, say, Liberals or Right-Wingers, is that religious people are by definition illogical and irrational. They celebrate the fact that they can ignore basic facts and evidence, and instead opt for a fairy tale.

These are not the people you want making laws and decisions for you, left or right. They don't have the mental capacity to handle the responsibility.

June 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lol

Christians telling Mormons that they're wrong is like an armless man calling a legless man a cripple.

June 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ldean50

Christians are not telling Mormons they are wrong – they are telling Mormons that they are not Christians. Christians do not recognize The Book of Mormon as divine. Christians believe the path to heaven is through Jesus Christ (Mormons don't – they believe in doing good works for the church and obeying their superiors or priests above them on the ladder). Christians believe God/Jesus are divine and man is mortal. Mormons believe God/Jesus is of flesh and blood just like man and when they die, they too will become gods. Mormons are not wrong, any more than Scientology – We merely do not share the same beliefs. that's all. simple.

June 7, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • laurie Tucker

His point being, Mormons and Christians are one in the same! And he is correct.

September 25, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
      • hayley

As an actual Mormon, I have to disagree. We are 100%, without a doubt, Christian. I believe, as my church teaches, that redemption IS from Jesus Christ and there is NO OTHER NAME that we can be saved under- not Joseph Smith, not Thomas S. Monson, not Lucifer. We do believe in the Book of Mormon, but that book testifies and teaches of Christ as well- and we ALSO believe in the Bible. We believe in the Savior just as much as any Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, or non-denominational Christian church there is.

June 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph T

Who gets to decide what is Christian and what isn't – you? Just because some Christians don't accept the Book of Mormon as Divine doesn't mean they are right. Mormons believe wholeheartedly that the ONLY way to heaven is through Christ...period. Please don't try to preach to me what my church teaches. So you are saying Christ is not flesh and bone? Where in your Bible does it say that Christ ever shed that physical body He showed to His disciples? As for man becoming gods, didn't Paul declare that Christ's followers are joint-heirs with Him? What is a joint-heir to you? Didn't Christ inherit all that the Father has? Are you calling Paul a liar? Please brush up on Mormonism before spouting off.

June 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • ldean50

I'm not arguing who is right or wrong. I'm merely stating that Christians (I use that term to refer to Baptists, Methodists, Catholics, Church of God, Church of Christ, Anglicans, Episcopalians, Protestants, 7th Day Adv, Holiness, Presbyterians, etc) have very different beliefs . . . as you have described in your response. Those groups do not recognize The Book of Mormon – er go, Mormons are not what is historically known as Christian. It isn't about right or wrong. I know Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus. They are neither right nor wrong, but they are not Christian. Who knows who has the lock on what is going to happen in the end. You are Mormon, and in the end you may be right in everything – won't it be fun to find out.

June 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

Please understand that I am not arguing right or wrong. I am simply asking who gets to decide what is Christian and what is not. I could very easily ask you where trinity or infant baptism or deathbed repentance are in the Bible. If they are not Christian principles as outlined in the Bible, what are they? That's for you and everyone else to decide. Is modern-day Christianity christian? That's for each of us to decide for ourselves. What you are really saying is that Mormonism is not Christian as defined by those sects. With all due respect, I care more what God thinks than members of some Christian sect.

June 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

again . . . not about right or wrong . . . it's that Christians and Mormons have different beliefs. Christians belief in the Trinity – the unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons in One DIVINE Being (not flesh and blood) called the Godhead(from old English), the Divine Essence of God. Christians believe God exists as 3 persons but is one God, meaning that God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have exactly the same nature or being as God the Father in every way. Whatever attributes and power God the Father has, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have as well. "Thus, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are also eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, infinitely wise, infinitely holy, infinitely loving, omniscient.

"Trinitarianism contrasts with Nontrinitarian positions which include Binitarianism (one deity/two persons), Unitarianism (one deity/one person), the Oneness or Modalism belief, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' (Mormon) view of the Godhead as three separate beings who are one in purpose rather than essence" Grudem, Wayne A. "Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine." Leicester, England: Inter-Varsity Press; Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. 226, 236.

June 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

@Idean50 – I have no problem agreeing to disagree. LDS Christian beliefs and the beliefs of some other Christians may differ somewhat, but we all can agree that Christ is the Son of God and it is only in and through Him that we are saved.

June 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • ldean50

@Ralph T . . . after reading your last post about "who gets to decide what is Christian and what is not," I think I understand why you seem upset with me. I think it's the label "Christian". I suppose I would have to know what your definition of Christian is – is it that you believe Mormon and Christian is one in the same?(In my opinion) Christian is not a church, a person – but a set of religious beliefs... it's merely a category to distinguish it from different systems of beliefs. I did not determine that, but scholars of Theology made that determination. Jews, Muslims, Christians and Mormons are all Abrahamic, monotheistic religions, and each group has a different set of beliefs and traditions. Mormons, due to their belief in the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith as prophet, the Trinity etc. are not categorized as Christian. If the Mormon church taught me I was Christian, and Christians told me I was not – I would search out priests, ministers of other faiths for a long discussion of how we are different. Isn't it enough to say "I'm a Mormon." Why do you have to feel like you must declare yourself a "Christian?" if you can explain that to me, it will help me understand how I have made you so angry.

June 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

@Idean50 – I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I am upset. I am not. I don't get upset about very much. But I am passionate about Christ. So when anyone alleges that Mormons are not Christian I do my best to correct the misunderstanding. You see, there are many churches built and established FOR Christ. The reason that Mormons are Christians is because the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was built and established BY Christ. That is why Mormons are Christians – because our church has a direct connection with Him. That's not to say no other church does – that's not for me to judge or criticize. All churches established with Christ in mind are good. I just choose to go with the one I believe was established by Him. It really isn't very complicated.

June 8, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
      • LDSareChristian

ldean50 posted: @Ralph T . . . after reading your last post about "who gets to decide what is Christian and what is not," I think I understand why you seem upset with me. I think it's the label "Christian".
        ===================================================================
        You need to realize that when in conversation you state that LDS are not Christian, there is a hugh gasp from the listener. They then think that LDS don't believe in Christ. This is a gross miss-characterization (often done deliberately for the scare away shock value)
        We want it perfectly clear that we believe, sleep, drink, breath in Christ.

If you were to state that LDS belief in Christ is different then others, I have no problem with said statement.

If you may note, my post name is: LDSareChristian, please note the absence of an appended letter "s". LDS are Christian, but not Christians. We do not consider our self's as members of the traditional creedal Christian sects of the world.
        I am a Christian. A Mormon Christian. As a Baptist Christian denotes a theology of baptism by immersion, and a Catholic Christian a theology of baptism by sprinkling. Both are Christian, a belief in the same Christ, just differences in theology.
        I don't consider other Christian sects non-Christian over differences in theology (you don't either), I expect the same in return.

Yours in Christ

June 8, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

Very well said, LDSareChristian!

June 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • EE

Hi, Ralph, I enjoyed your educated, respectful discussion with Idean 50. May I offer the Baptism of Jesus in Matthew 3:16-17 as a reference of the Trinity in Scripture: "As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased."- EE (a Catholic Christian friend) :)

June 26, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ralph T

Thanks, EE. The baptism is a perfect example of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit being three distinct personages because they were all present at the same time.

June 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 3094830

If they can make it illegal for gays to marry who they want, they can make it illegal for me to marry who I want.

Social engineering is not the job of government. Keep Mitt Romney out of office.

June 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. RAF

All good leaders are able to seperate their personal views for what is good for their company, state and/or nation. It is a mark of an educated person who is able to weigh the good of all over the good of self.

June 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Robert Lee

I saw this interview and was disgusted with the liberal slant. CNN even cut off his remarks with some amature editing.
    Please bring back Larry King and send this Brit back so he and Paul McCarty can adore thr Pres together.

June 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jake, Chaska

what i would ask Mitt is: because he is a mormon, under the mormon church rules Secret service is not able to enter the Temple unless they are all mormons. How would he go about that?

June 7, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ralph T

Now THAT is an awesome question! There are three choices: (1) he doesn't attend the temple during his presidency; (2) only Secret Service that are temple-worthy members of the church go into the temple with him; or (3) he goes into the temple without any Secret Service. Choice #2 seems the most logical since many Secret Service are in fact LDS.

June 8, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. He's HadIt

Well that can only serve as a double whammy for his party and Conservative voters. 1. That he is a Mormon. 2. That he could support Gay Rights. You know both are taboo with Republicans. Therefore, Mitt just lost his chance to become President but does one care? The general thought is don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out, Mitt!

June 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. tommie

none of Romneys 5 sons were in the Military...they avoided it? because of their religion ?? any comments ?

June 8, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Cat

I don't know if you could say they "avoided" it because that implies they ran away scared from it. Choosing to go on a mission is a legitimate reason for not joining the military. I know nothing about his sons (nor do I care) but if they did not join the military in order to serve a two year mission, then that seems okay. I do question Mitt's military experience because I don't know too much about that because all I've seen/read lately is about the economy. But yea, if his five sons didn't join because of their missions, then okay. Whatever. There is no draft right now so it isn't against the law to not join the military. I think it is more than admirable to do so and I thank the brave men and women who do volunteer to go because it means we don't need a draft. I don't think that makes me unAmerican; because I don't want my son to join. But whatever. Who cares. Does anyone really think it matters who the President is? Big business and congress control everything. If Obama doesn't get reelected then we get 4 more years of "transition" and then congress changes seats and more arguing and bickering and still nothing gets done. Personally, I focus more on my local government because that is really where every single vote counts.

June 8, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. DONALD FOSTER

IN AMERICA , WE HAVE FREEDOM OF RELIGION. PLEASE STOP QUESTIONING CANDEDATES ON THIER RELIGION.
    SAME GOES FOR RACE,GENDER,NATIONALITY AND ANY OTHER THING THAT IS LEGAL IN THIS COUNTRY.

June 8, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Devon

Piers' interview with Ann Coulter was superb...he countered with every appropriate argument and didn't let her get away with anything. Excellent job!

June 8, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. woof-woof

These comments are ridiculous. Did being Mormon negatively influence Romney's behavior as governor of Massachusetts? No. And given that both Romney and Harry Reid (D Nevada, senate majority leader) are Mormon, it seems evident that their religion does not determine their politics. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Past behavior indicates that being Mormon is no cause for concern. Go argue about religion somewhere else.

June 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Leia

Bob, you really are IGNORANT. LDS women are NOT 2nd class. I happen to be a Chemical Engineer, currently in medical school. Supported by my husband, he only wishes me to reach my career goals. Get educated because I’m surrounded by lovely educated lds women.

June 13, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robert

I am glad to hear that you are an Engineer and currently enrolled in medical school. Unfortunately your experience seems to be the exception. According to the Salt Lake City Tribune Utah is behind the national average for women attending college and in BYU the trend since 2000 has been an ever-widening gap of male-to-female graduates.

( http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50649473-76/women-utah-percent-college.html.csp)

Why does Utah lag in women’s education with their supposedly unbiased Mormon leadership at the helm? The Utah state governor (Richard Herbert) is a Mormon as well as Utah’s two senators. Is this what we can expect from Mitt Romney?

June 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ralph T

@Robert – I can't comment about state averages, but I can tell you about my own Mormon family's experience. We live in Utah, my wife graduated from dental assisting school, our eldest daughter graduated from college as a married woman, and our youngest daughter is currently attending college as a married woman. Our middle daughter went straight from high school to the workplace, primarily because her dyslexia made college less appealing than working. That said, however, she's currently considering college.

June 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pam

Piers Morgan is not a US citizen so he should not interview US presidential candidates. He is very bias and his agenda is very persuasive towards his audience.

June 18, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Nancee

Way too conservative. And, I'm sure his religious views would play out all over the place, if elected. Remember George W.? He had a "moral imperative" to fight in Iraq. God only knows where Romeny's religious views would lead us...

June 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ralph T

Mitt Romney and Harry Reid are active members of the same faith. Would you say Harry has allowed his religious views to "play out all over the place"? If not, how can you make that accusation of Mitt? He didn't do it when he was governor of Massachusetts. Why do people keep using this straw man argument???

June 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Murats Gay

Tremendous issues here. I'm very glad to peer your post. Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

April 18, 2012 at 5:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. backyard aquaponics

Hi my family member! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and come with approximately all vital infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

April 19, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. seo company

Woah this blog is magnificent i like reading your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You understand, a lot of individuals are searching round for this info, you could help them greatly.

July 6, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. fastest way to get taller

A person essentially assist to make significantly articles I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and to this point? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual post amazing. Fantastic process!

August 12, 2012 at 4:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. plumbing

Thank you for the good writeup. It if truth be told was a enjoyment account it. Glance complex to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

September 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. quay bau vat vinh vien

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vibrant transparent idea

September 15, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Eliminating Full-blown Acne in keeping with Blue Supportable Ague Therapy

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog. He used to be totally right. This submit truly made my day. You cann't believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

October 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. vp

Ideal51...These are your words, "You're right. Romney's first allegiance would be to the Prophet that heads the Mormon church. He has taken that oath in a secret ceremony in the Salt Lake City Temple – he has sworn that if he breaks that oath to the church, the only way he can be saved is through death or what the Mormons call "Blood Atonement" (which they do not publicly acknowledge). Blood Atonement is the belief that the only way to save a sinner (someone who breaks a temple oath) is to kill them by slitting their throat. They are a scarey cult – they manage to hide the scarey by not answering direct questions." This is one of the most disturbing and also hilarious lies I have ever heard about our church. His allegiance is to God and follows the Prophets advice about religion, not politics. What the heck are you talking about? Not ONE thing you said is even partially true. Nothing in the temple says the Prophet has control over us...we have free agency to make our own choices and WE DO NOT KILL ANYONE! I've made mistakes after going to the temple and they definitely don't kill you. They help you repent and make ammends. You should just stop talking, since you know nothing about the truth. We are not a cult. We are honest, loving, ,charitable, kind, people who base their lives on Christ and try to be as much like him as we can. What makes you think anyone who loves Christ would kill anyone? You're making and idiot of yourself on here.

October 31, 2012 at 6:09 am | Report abuse | Reply