Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 14th, 2011

Chris Christie on education critics: "That's the kind of liberal, know-nothing thinking that just drives me crazy"

Rising star in the GOP party Chris Christie sits down tonight with Piers Morgan for the hour, and the two discuss his tough talk regarding education in New Jersey. Morgan mentions a critic who wondered why he sent his kids to private school, when he speaks in favor of public school. "That's none of her business," said Christie. "That's my choice, and my wife's choice. We happen to believe that a religious education is an important part of an overall education for our children...It's not a shot on the public schools. I'm a graduate of the public schools."

He went on to describe why the "liberal" comment bothered him.

Christie said he pays his property tax like everyone else, which goes toward public education. "I don't complain about it, because that's my responsibility as a citizen of my town and of my state," he said. "Every child is my responsibility in this state...That's the kind of liberal, know-nothing thinking that just drives me crazy."

Watch the full interview, with Christie's wife and children as well, tonight at 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Kim Jessome

I would like to comment on how Governor Christie,whom I voted for, has blackmailed and tried to evict and kill the horseracing industry in NJ along with the thousands of other farm related businesses and has caved into pressure from Atlantic City Casinos by giving them even more tax brecks and millions in a so called rejuvenation program. To remind everyone it was a condition to the casinos before they moved in that they would repair and improve the city not just their sidewalks and that was thirty years ago. Now they want more? By denying the horseman slot machines at the meadowlands which would create jobs and millions of dollars in revenue for the state.the Governor is the same old follow the money politician and to consider him for the president now or later is wrong, He would just finish off the poor and middleclass people in the rest of the country.I hope the GOP party comes to their senses, this man is just as bad as the rest of them.

June 14, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JazzyJim

They won't. They haven't in the past 30 years. This is Republicorp – They all get their marching orders and stick with them – damn the people. Christie is one and done in New Jersey. The attack on teachers and education is just the beginning as he also attempts to descredit science, facts and logic – allowing the likes of the Koch Brothers to pollute with impunity. Chris Christie is the picture of greed and evil for the blind and ignorance of a brainwashed Jesus Camp Cult now masquerading as members of the GOP.

June 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • phuyay

You what evil is? Evil is running your state into the ground financially and using special interest groups to promote your political career. That is what Democrats have done for years in the states they control. California, Louisiana, Michigan, New York and other states are all broke because of the deals Democrat politicians made with unions, teachers and other special interest groups to keep them in power in exchange for political favors. That's evil and that is why anybody that can are escaping those states.

July 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Bunny

Cheers pal. I do appreciate the wtriing.

June 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. LMR

While the charter school law is a well-meaning piece of legislation, intended to support educational needs in underperforming school districts, in certain situations it is siphoning money from existing Blue Ribbon Schools. With high performing schools, special "boutique" schools such as foreign language immersion, is better served by the private sector. It is apparent that the current methodology for approving Charter Schools needs to be over-hauled as the process for approving and funding Charter school’s is not working, as well the expense to the current districts which support the schools is unfair.

The Governor and Acting Education Commissioner Cerf should not be the individuals determining whether a charter should open in any district. It is completely up to that town and its citizens, therefore, Christie should support the Bills that are scheduled to be presented to the Senate and Assembly which state that Local Towns Have The Right To Vote!

June 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. fred

dear mr. morgan

please go back to where you came from and take your liberal crap with you.

June 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mariee

I liked this guy for some reason, wish he would loose some weight, but otherwise he is OK. Thanks for this interview.

June 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JazzyJim

No he's not. He's repeating what the Republicorp Ministry of Lies tells him. Attack the middle class, unions teachers, labors – create a third world work force (no health benefits, no job security or safety), blame the educated for not sharing their moronic blind faith and conservative greed. He's a puppet – just like the other Republicorp teabagging idiots.

June 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Judy

Holy concise data bamtan. Lol!

June 24, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. James

I like that Christie says it as he sees it. I hope he will run one day for higher office.

June 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. tom gabriel

Are you kidding me? This guy is nothing more than a bent nose bully! He tells everyone he is a fiscal conservative – as long as he does not have to drive to his son's own game!! Obviously he is a pig at the troough! It will only be a matter of time before he is caught with his hand out or maybe in something it shouldn't be!

June 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

Rather trivial criticism. He's on duty 24/7 and I think it's great he could get to this one game. Perhaps he's just not of your political party.

June 14, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Captain Republican

100% agreed and he paid the cost back. People like to pick up the chopper issue because its a cool ride. The reaity is that the transportation by way of cars cost more.

The helicopter issue is a red herring propagandized by the NJ Democrats and unions who want to divert attention away from Christie

June 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Captain Republican

Reforms to education, public pensions and public employee contributions to healthcare.

June 14, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • tom gabriel

trival? really? The fact that he is from the same political party as i am means nothing to me – a scammer is a scammer – period. He is on duty 24/7? Really – does that include his church activities or his home actvities> I think he would disagree with you since he said his home life comes first.
        the truth is he did an interview in a school were he refuses to send his own kids. And no school teacher got to tell him how they feel about his policies. He is the type of guy who says i support the troops but does not believe in taxes that pay for them. Funny how my party says lets fight for out troops but pleaaassseee dont make me pay for it! OR how about i pay 38K in local taxes but my kids dont use the school system. cry me ariver 'christie – my house is not worth 38K. Paid the cost back? sort of like the rest of the criminals that think that paying the cost back after they get caught makes what they did legal – nope – still is not legal – to take a free rdide on my tax dollars – anti – tea party to me. You sorta remind me of the Clinton supporters who used to say it is okay to do whatever ias long as you are "producing".

June 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Justdone1

On duty 24/7 are you kidding me. I take it you are not from NJ well I am and NJ froze and he and his cronies were on vacay he in florida and his Lt Gov somewhere warm as well. Lt Gov dont get to go on vacay when the Gov is on vacay. I am a voter and boy will I remember that,

June 15, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
      • JazzyJim

No he's not. A) Last winter he high tailed it to California during our snow storms. B) He's not the President. C) Christie is a one term seat holder. He will be bounced.

June 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rumor

Unparalleled accuracy, uqnieuvocal clarity, and undeniable importance!

November 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • tfbdccxagzr

QCK7BD ksgffphngjae

November 13, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • yirngo

kw5q7f zqeiecxyjhkq

November 15, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Dave Drew

ask this clown (gov. Christie) in regards to marriage, what he thinks of all the sillly kids who party all night in Vegas and then decide to get married, and then wake from their hangover and annul the thing the next day. Why should that get so much reverance by the religious right and not, for exaple, a lesbian couple who may have been together for 20 yrs?

June 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sangju

Michelle – Wow Wow!! This is exactly why I hired you as my wenddig photographer, every picture is so emotional yet artistic and beautiful. OMG! I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY BIG DAY WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!Michelle Williams

September 8, 2012 at 6:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Rockgrl

Completely disappointed Morgan what happened .....he lost 400 mil race to the top you did not mention it... You were more a fan than a reporter No no totally disappointed in you.......

June 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Captain Republican

Uh no. Try again. There was a clerical mistake regarding the historic data and the NJEA was trying to pack the application with nonreform responses, which were initially agreed to by the then commissioner of education and then had to be changed last second.

NJ should not have to apply for any federal funding, especially in education. The RTT money was intended as a carrot to bring about reform. Gov Christie and NJ had been effectuating reform before. Also NJ is dead last in $$$ from Washington DC. Its nonsense.

June 14, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Helen

Mr Capt..or from the Red zone..

Have you not read Schundler's testimony about what happened in that debacle which lost the 400M RTTT grant?

The fault was with the administration.

June 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dan

Piers!

Please....why did you coronate this guy.
    He is a blunt, no-it-all, egocentric conservative with nothing to add to Livingston...never mind NJ and the United States! Including his wife/family. Mentioning presidency 100 times. Give us a break!!!!!
    shame on you! shame on CNN!!!!!

June 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

CNN can't be a flaming liberal organization every night.

June 14, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • JazzyJim

But to play stupid with an agent of ignorance is just bad form. Christies a moron. Only morons think otherwise. Like you sir.

June 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Domenic Santana

Greetings from Costa Rica, WOW to bad we have to wait another 4 years for Christie to finish cleanning up the mess I ran away from. As the resurector of the World famous Stone Pony is GREAT to see that NJ finally has a GOOD GOV. Im sure that the BOSS will say, RUN BABY RUN!!!

June 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dan

this is your form of sarcasm, i am sure!

June 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JazzyJim

Yeah. A moronic citizen will mow your lawns for .25 cents an hour. This is the Republicorp workforce of tomorrow. Bush Tax gifts for the Koch Brothers – at the expense of the tax paying middle class. You're a moron and I wish you stay out of the country – indefinitely.

June 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Attu Metin

Springsteen refused to shake the bloated hand of our Gov.

June 21, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Health Teacher

Gov. Christie is wrong that his weight doesn't affect his job. How as Gov or potential President does he promote proper nutrition, exercise and a healthy lifestyle. Healthcare is this country is a major concern and expense. Obesity leads to diabetes, high blood pressure, neuropathy and many other debilitating diseases that cost a lot of money annually. I am not sure how Chris Christie will promote a healthy lifestyle when he obviously doesn't live it.

June 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Captain Republican

Uh boy. Thanks Debbie downer.

June 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • JazzyJim

You're welcome, Captain Morgan.

June 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • DaYi

This is the reason that NJ is so crturpoed, People like Corzine turn away with wads of cash in the hands facing to the backs. Some how it is not wrong if you do not see them take it, but they sure know where to go when they need the crturpoed help.

April 5, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Rose

I agree that he can frame anything to his advantage, including that weight isn't that important. Yes, if this is the example he presents, one must wonder about the real man. For me, his constant stance of family is first is noble; however, maybe we need a Governor who puts our State of New Jersey first–imagine that! Everyone typically will say that family is first, not a new theme, but his actions show he has gone beyond our State in many ways to promote himself.

As a former school counselor, he sure hasn't taken the high road to present issues but has rather caused enough damage in education that can never be repaired. The rapport between teachers and parents is badly damaged-and yes, that's priceless, but in such a negative way. And, of course, students suffer.

June 15, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • JazzyJim

He's like Bush – hand-picked audiences and crowds – with made for "tough talk" moments for his web page. He's a con and a clown. He got elected in an off cycle election – it won't happen again. The deal now is to stop him from selling out NJ to the Koch Brothers, BP Oil and the like that would like to once again pollute with out regulation or oversite – causing health damage to our citizens and endangering all of our lives. Attacking the tax paying middle class and teachers while giving Bush Tax Gifts to the same GOP Republicorp Owners he is a slave to – is just his job. He's a loser – The Biggest Loser. I hope he doesn't take us down with him.

June 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Eric0425

Good interview, Piers! As a concervative, I felt that your interview of Gov. Christie was fair, intertaining and enjoyable. Keep it up and I'll continue to watch your show.

June 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dan

and you spell conservative, how?

June 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Paul Pflaumer

Irony. The governor takes a chopper to his son' s private school game while many schools had to make cuts to sports programs because of cuts in school funding.. Christie also promised in an open letter to the NJEA members that if he were elected there would be"no change to your pension." One of his first acts was to call for pension reform. It seems untruths abound with politicians. Also, it is no wonder he wants tax cuts for the wealthy; he is one of them.

June 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. David Good

Piers' your interview with New Jersey's Gov. Christie was your best and most complete interview of your new program.

June 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Roberta Petrocci

I think Piers Morgan is a marvelous interviewer..BUT I hate it when he asks a question then interrupts while the question is being answered. In spite of that he is still a joy to watch.

June 14, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steven

e.l Posted on For one thing unless they're hlsuibped you mean writers'.Only you can decide when, as it needs to fit round you and your members' schedules.

April 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mazz

the original: New Jersey vortes reject school budgets ab Joanne Jacobs Posted in School | Tags: a-heated-debate, chris-christie, defeat-budgets, districts-and,

September 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lucas

Not too long ago I extremely mizeiinmd my time on line for my own sake. Mainly to rest. I didn't miss it because it was a choice. It's not something I could do for long or a lot 'cause I work online, but I've learned to cut back and not feel the need to always "be there." In fact, I'm shutting down in a few minutes to get in the bed by 9 o'clock. A few months or so ago I would have never done that 'cause of work that still needs to be done or people I still need to connect with. Right now, all I can think about is I'm tired, annoyed and I wanna lay down! :-) I'll have to come back later and read the post you mentioned... sounds like a winner.

September 10, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Abudum

William Taft was the last over weight president of the United States. I don't know of any country with an over weight leader. He'd better leave the donuts and beer alone if he plans on any chance of becoming president.

June 15, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. LtButRt

Gov. Christie is just another blowhard that believes his demagogic smoke screen approach to politiics is fine. Trenton is calling keep him there !

June 15, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JazzyJim

He's one and done in NJ – only people praising him are from the Ministry of Lies – Fox and thier puppets, Limbaugh, Colture, Hannity, Beck, Palin, Bachmann – you know, the 7 clowns of the Apocalypse.

June 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Susan

One and done.. lol. I can't wait to see you eat your words come election time.

July 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Heidi franta

I enjoyed seeing this interview..Most important, when he admitted that our president is a great leader.
    we need to come back to this..I am a liberal and proud to be one... The only thing wrong with his message~
    He does not care about the working people.. I did like him as a person...To be president, that is scary...

June 15, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Lisa

His policies have hurt my local district tremendously.

I came to the Jersey Burbs for the schools. What he has prescribed is killing our district and many other Middle Class Suburban districts.

He has alienated many voters like me who did give him the benefit of the doubt at first..but boy have we been duped.
    There is no way I could support him ever again. His brand of republicanism is not in the best interests of my local schools.

June 15, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dom

Yeah Lisa..no kidding..

My son's State college tuition..has skyrocketed.
      Once my kids are grown..I am out of this crazy State..this guy has no clue nor does he care about the Middle Class.

And I do not see any republican who is interested at all in what we have to do to survive in Middle America.

They really have become the party for the rich.

June 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JazzyJim

NJ USED to have one of the best school systems in America – bar none. Then Chrisitine Todd Whitman (whom by the way vanquished her aliance with the GOP when they were openly attacking the environment by the likes of the Koch Brothers when she over saw the EPA, using practices that made citizens ill – deathly ill). The Republicans need dumb voters – who do you get them? Attack the education system. Reagan through Bush. Morons all.

June 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Daniela

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web breoswr. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it'll do even better in those areas, but for now it's a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod's strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

September 10, 2012 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  20. Pat

How can Piers question the helicopter incident when less that one month after being inaugurated, Obama flies his wife to Chicago for Valentines Day to go to their favorite restaurant in Air Force One. That was not exactly cab fare. What a ridiculous waste of tax payer dollars.......just because he could. That was the beginning of the end for me. Obama is too caught up with the celebrity of the office and not the responsibility. At least Christie knows he is not ready for that office. Obama was not that savvy.

June 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leigh

Pat, I am not a rabid Obama supporter but your statement is ridiculous. The President didn't go to Chicago but to NY for dinner and a Broadway show. I think 2 successful attorneys might do that on a special night. Do you expect them to take a train into the city? I haven't seen the President be showy at all, in fact I haven't seen much of him at all lately. I think you are interpreting his behavior through your own stereotypes.

June 17, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JazzyJim

Exhibit A of a Hannity indoctrinated sheep. There is a major difference between the President of the United States and Governor Chris Chritie. ALL PRESIDENTS are afford that luxury – desrvedly so – for having to deal with moronic citizens like yourself whom can't tell the difference.

June 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Anthony Bruno

As someone who grew in NJ, in Hudson County...now retired in NC...it amusing to hear the criticism of Gov. Christie.

Apparently until he was elected everything was fine in NJ...everyone was pleased with the amount they pay in prop. taxes,
    the quality and cost of education, the congestion, the blight of AC, and the performance of previous administrations.

So now NJ has a gov. who is addressing the deficit and increased debt by honestly saying the state cannot continue to spend as it has in the past...and he is attacked.

Rather, Christie should have keep doing business as usual, as former gov. did, leaving the growing debt for someone else to address, then the good folks of NJ would have remained content.

There is a reason NJ pop. has decreased, now with less people than we have in NC. Many residents have found being a home owner in one of the highest prop tax states is too much, especially when they are faced with the college tuition.

While teacher and other public service unions bash Christie, whining about how unfair it is, they should look across the American landscape. Org. labor has had its day...and is now a front group for the Democrats while the union leadership have enriched themselves while the number of union workers have dwindled....with the best companies such as Apple, Google have no interest in "shake down"
    labor negotiations.

Only the public sector remains committed to org. labor...which says enough about the quality of service the public receives.

So, keep whining...and in two yrs throw out Christie....he'll be fine, but I'm not sure NJ will be.

June 18, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Dom

I'd love to address why New Jersey voters are complaining.

First, it is fair to say that Jerseyans actually love their public schools. They do not want to see them dismantled and for the majority, they do not desire Charter schools to carve up the funding.
    Secondly, Higher Ed is something Jerseyans want funded. But guess what, Christie is not doing that ..not in the least.

"Shared Sacrifice?" How about having that idea as a truly expressed policy..not just for the Middle Class. My property taxes have gone up ..way up under Christie. And my son's tuition has gone way up. But if I was in the realm of the Delbarton/Private school prep school demographic, like Christie is, the "shared sacrifice" would not be an issue.
    The patently unfair equation is what is beginning to get to voters like me.

Thirdly, the issue of corruption in the State has deepened under Christie. He has made deals and ingratiated himself with notorious Bosses of both parties...like Norcross. He has turned a blind eye to notorious double dippers like DeFrancesco .
    And all of that is..what..ok..fair.."shared sacrifice?" How is that?
    It is hypocrisy at its highest, and he has ruined his credibility due to it.
    Finally he is an imperious demagogue. The helicopter stunt was asinine, and he continues to try to appeal to the Southern Conservative with his support of creationism as opposed to real science.
    Christie is a mess..as much of a mess as his predecessors.

June 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anthony Bruno

Dom,
      First, I do not see any evidence Christie wants to dismantle public schools, only ensure students can thrive without the continued
      accelerating cost which is among the highest in the country.

As a former resident I did some comparisons.

First, seeing my NC property taxes are 1/3 what they were in NJ, even though my home cost more.
      Second, I found that 30% of my NC prop. taxes went towards schools while 70% of NJ prop. taxes funded schools.
      Third, structural differences between NJ and NC may also contribute to the disparity between the cost per public
      ($15K in NJ and $8K in NC). NJ towns have their own school systems, each with administrative costs.

In NC, I live in Wake Co. which has a single school system that educates one million students. Perhaps some
      streamlining of the NJ schools administrative structure will reduce the cost and not make it necessary to eliminate
      teachers.

Fourth, I'm in agreement with Gov. Christie about getting the cost under control. If NJ teachers benefits have to be cut,
      or their contributions towards health care have to be increased, it needs to be done. Why should the entire state see
      their taxes increase continually?

As a point of comparison, in the early 90s IBM went through a major downturn, shedding tens of thousands of jobs, closing
      many facilities including the Franklin Lakes headquarters which employed 3000 throughout Bergen Co, and for the first
      time employees and retirees had to contribute to their health care plan. Additionally, multi-year salary freezes went into
      effect.

What Christie is doing is no where near what private businesses do to survive. The private sector does not have the luxury
      of increasing prices as customers will go elsewhere, while govt. simply goes to the well once again, raising taxes, adding
      fees, leaving the taxpayers with little recourse, moving, which is why so many NC residents moved here from NJ and NY
      including public sector retirees who bring with them state pensions, which we sincerely appreciate.

Don't know the problem NJ has with charter schools. Have they been judged inferior, or is this another union "concern"?

Our experience with charter schools is little different. With the majority of the NC legislature now being in Republican
      control we eliminated the 100 school ceiling and will add enough charter schools to meet the demand. They cost less to
      run, produce superior results, and parents are on waiting lists to get their kids enrolled.

Now you are getting a different issue, and begin to whine.
      You say your taxes have gone up under Christie, but neglect to say WHY? Could it be the debt the state owes, and the
      inability to pay for the services? Would you prefer he does nothing to address the problem? Isn't this the reason
      most states are in the fix they are in?

Also, you take a swipe at Christie about HIS choice of where to send his kids. According to him, he is still paying for
      public education through property taxes, but not using the resources, isn't this a good thing?

And your last point about deals, double dipping, corruption, etc. You act as though it just began.

As a former resident who still loves-the-state and my many friends I close with four words..."This is New Jersey"

Stay well,
      Anthony Bruno
      Cary NC

June 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Dom

I appreciate your reply, but I need to respond to several points.

First the cost per property tax in terms of percentage paid in NJ is high. And that is due to local control. Christie has done nothing to consolidate nor create an environment in which local control is less desirable.

The logic against local control..eg the cost..is sound. County systems and regional systems are more cost effective. But Trenton speaks with forked tongue and they issue edicts which are expensive and under funded. In other words, if they desire to diminish local control they need to communicate that communities will not be stuck with top down nonsense which may or may not apply to their demographic ( eg the Bullying legislation just to name one out of many).

Thus far Christie' obsession with the union has clouded any reasonable discussion for change. In other words, there is very little good faith between communities and Trenton to truly change the entire system.

On to Charter Schools..the news reports for how Charter schools have under performed and managed their students needs has been mixed at best. The skepticism has grown and not diminished as some Charters have been under investigation for maleficence. In addition the teaching quality is mixed.. usually the teacher are young and move on out as soon as they can. The reasons for the high turn over are varied and have to do with low pay, poor management and low morale.
        So Charters are mixed and not the magic bullet. But of course education is mixed, complex and cannot be resolved so easily.
        Christie does not articulate nuance nor a sense of the complexity of the problem. He gets poor grades from every major poll on education. And he has not managed to attract any diverse or highly regarded group to deal with the topic.

Finally, the hammer with which Christie has used on his opponents is being used against him. He is not a saint. In fact he is as questionable both in his past and in his current tenure, so ..in other words..he is the proverbial politician living in the glass house throwing stones.
        A very good friend of mine worked for Christie and has shared stories which are almost Nixonian in terms of how controlling and vindictive and paranoid the administration is.

On multiple fronts Christie is a bad apple and has lost credibility with me. And I voted for him.

Oh and finally in terms of teacher pay cuts and give backs. Many districts essentially have done this already and have negotiated new terms with their local teachers' unions. There have been reasonable give backs and the State has taken more money for the pension ..but the State has not paid into the pension. In fact the State has underfunded the pension for many many years. Thus we have the crises ..imposed upon us but committed by Trenton.

I am not interested in saying "well that's New Jersey". If that is the response, then Christie has even less credibility to demagogue the issue. He simply appears more hypocritical as he carries on while essentially behaving as a typical political Boss.

June 18, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Anthony Bruno

Thanks for getting back to me.
    One thing Christie's critics fail to mention...which party controls the legislature. Christie may have won the GOP the governorship, but Democrats continue to run Trenton. Perhaps, if the people also changed the majority as we have done better legislation would be already passed and signed into law. (Note: Our GOP majority has been able to get enough Dems to join them to make bill veto proof, thanks to strong grass roots support)

As I understand, in NJ addressing high prop taxes must take a back seat to cutting spending to run the state without adding to the deficit. Shouldn't this be the first priority of Christie?

What you call an obsession I view differently. Christie has been the first governor to stand tall against unions. In the past cities and states made deals with unions without any plan to fund. It is not a coincidence every major city and many states are bleeding red ink. As a comparison, how did Corzine, or any other former governors address the high cost of funding schools?

You may know better than I, but "reasonable discussions" with most unions end when they do not get what they want. Then they demigod, protest and plead with the pubic how unfair it is. I am have little sympathy for unions....they are useless at a time the Federal govt. provides safeguards to protect workers.

You know more about the NJ charter schools then I do, so I'll defer to what you say. But, is there a limit on the number, and is there a waiting list to get in? I know as we increase the number we are also addressing cert. req. to instruct.

Since we are up to schools one thing which has worked successfully has been yr round education. We created four 'tracks', with great success, nine weeks in schools, three weeks off. In our county alone we picked up 3000 seats with the yr round education, kids and parents love it, and have adapted with minimal adjustments.

Again, you see Christie up close, I from afar. He reminds me of a former mayor in West New York who I went to school with, more street savvy then politically correct. As I said I get mixed reviews from my NJ friends. My friends in Ed...hate him, my non-Ed friends think he is taking on problems long left for others to handle.

If he fails...he'll be gone. That is the nature of the electorate.

About the teachers salaries and give backs. Even with "new terms" can districts continue to operate with a deficit? That seems to be the problem, most levels of govt. spend more than they bring in.

I tune out the class warfare against 'the rich', it takes away from resolving problems. But it works well so the pols. will continue to use....rather the governing more responsibly. Perhaps of the forty-plus percent paid something the high income earners need not
    be trashed.

Underfunding of pensions is a national epidemic. In NJ, are you saying the teachers are putting money into their pension fund but the state isn't. If so, this should be a req. and if this practice has been going on prior to Christie, the blame should not fall solely at his feet,
    your legislature has had longer then Christie to address, but apparently did not. Perhaps state court should intervene.

But, is this any different than how Congress uses SS monies elsewhere...and then say this money is protected with purchase of T-bills. Perhaps the unions should be given muni bonds rather than rely on the state to fund the pension.

I usually end my thoughts with something light..."well that's New Jersey". NJ has been the butt of jokes for years, going back to Frank Hague running Hudson Co. and the glory days of AC getting casinos...and a parade of AC major took "perp walks" into prison. Along the way I remember the temp. GSP toll which would go away..until Brendan Byrne wanted to double it. And,the hoopla over the sales tax, which is hindsight is one of the fairest. Every state has warts, unfortunately, NJ has been given greater visibility as the butt of Leno jokes and some of the housewife shows.

This has been fun...and also appreciate you opinion. NJ is a great state...and I do miss the type of folks you don't find elsewhere. They have an edge about them. Only problem is that many of my NJ friends think other parts of the country don't measure up. Call it a NJ Thing...

Are you involved with any grass roots groups? Several of my NJ friends are, like I am down here. I believe we are undergoing a transformation. Not the one Obama promised during his campaign, but the one our Founders took pains to create and two centuries
    of political corruptness have all but destroyed.

The time is upon the American people to demand the people we elect (including Christie) work on our behalf, not interest groups whether they are unions or Wall St.

My email is ajbruno14@gmail.com Stay in touch..
    Anthony.

June 19, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Jeanine

I wish Chris Christie would run for president.

June 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Tom

Yea please run for president and get out of NJ

June 25, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fitri

this is actually a qsotuien. We have aan australian citizen neighbor in Hermacon compound, Lias marilao, bulacan. His name is Mr. bela Pusztai. He is a neighborhood nuissance and we the homeowners have a complaint against him to our Barangay Chairman. Have he already commited child abuse because on certain occasions, while the neighborhood children including my son were playing, he drove them away hurling insults at them and even threatened the children with a gun he did this in fron of his 11 year old son who also point a dirty finger at the children. please enlighten me.

April 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. blaine

Christie is too intelligent, and makes too much sense, to be a politician.

June 25, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Lisat

Really Mr. Morgan? As a NJ resident, I was appalled at this interview. Where were the "dangerous" Piers Morgan questions that should have exposed him as a vindictive bully who preys on policies for school children, seniors and the environment. Get your facts straight his polls are not on the rise!

June 26, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. DanLA

Man this dude is FAT. It looks like he ate New Jersey.

June 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Bob Devendrf

Christie is the picture of what Republicanism is all about. Very well off financially, hugely fat, and know-it-all and in-your-face arrogant.

June 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. voice of one

Oh ! Chris, don't worry about what the libs do and don't do you be out of a job soon enough, People in New Jersey are having buyers remorse . They are about sick of you, So you need to learn to say bye-bye, to the Governor's chair, You be voted out in no time at all

July 6, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • trbilbo

Pugh polls show WE (people in Jersey ) love what Christie is doing (61% approve)..>EXACTLY what his overwhelming majority elected him to do. Only teh Huff n Puff and other GE Lib drive by media shows polls THEY create and carefully select polsters to reply to show any negative in his rating. Sure..... as blaoedt union members if they love him and you won't get a popular poll. That has ZERO to do with the reality of the fact he has taken a BANCRUPT state and made it solvent once again. Stop drinking the Kool Aid and listening to haz beens like Bill Maher. America wanst this model used nation wide. He__ polls show even DEMS like what he is doing nation wide. REAL change is coming.... one we can finally believe in.

July 12, 2011 at 3:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Les Hinton

Mr Piers Morgan: we do not need another Murdoch plant in America. Go back to the sleaze you came from. Murdoch nad Fox have done major damage to America. it is sickening to think of the way you and your ilk from England have polluted our country. The hacking of phones at News of the World is just the tip of the iceberg. The damage your patron has doen with your help will take a generation to correct. And you have your colleague and crook Les Hinton as chief of the Wall Street Journal – is there no limit to your sickness.

July 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Dan

how could anyone listen to someone that is this obese. To not care for one's own body should be a first clue that they can not care for anyone else. It's amazing how most "christians" don't have a clue what God is all about, especially when he talks about the "temple" This guy obviously can't take care of his own "temple" why the hell should he try to take care of anyone else's? Dan

July 11, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

Seriously? You can only attack him because of his weight? What kind of a pompous, bigoted and narrow-minded jerk are you? Why don't you ask the President why he abuses his body by smoking? Same thing, right? Why don't you mind your own damned business and focus on YOUR life, YOUR health and YOUR perfections.. because obviously from your remarks, you are perfect..

Your comments make me ill.. bigoted jerk.

July 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. John

Fourteen of the past seventeen years the NJ government had found ways to irresponsibly avoid contributing to the public employees pension fund. That combined with the 2008 market crash, primarily attributable to mortgage backed securities, has caused our state pension plan to be seriously underfunded. These two factors are the result of actions by politicians and members of the banking/investment backing industry and no way the fault of our public employees or teachers. How then is our governor able to make our public employees and teachers villains in the public eye? Pure ignorance.

July 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. jackole

This is the type of conservative, know-nothing thinking that drives me crazy.

August 29, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. DrBob Osenenko

Gov. Christie doesn't seem very bright.
    A neighbor said he disliked idea about teachers working 9 mos. of 12 and low quality education.Knowing a little about educating I always notice the obvious.Politicians like to bash educators, but the high paid administrators have some responsibility to make sure teachers are getting the right skills improved,if not they shouldn't have been hired.I don't warm up to the idea the Gov. needs to say or do what is the job of school administrators,but I'd like him to put heat on admins. to do their part improving the field.Gov. wants responsibility? Well here's a great way to start the conversation if he can prove he can start and maintain a conversation that might not be entirely on his own terms.

October 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Jean - Claude de Speville

Piers Morgan in a gym. Time to work off that gut old boy.

April 29, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Sunil

In 1876, a young girl named Jenn was walking down a river, an inasne man killed her by stabbing her in the back, raping her, and then hanging her in his closet. While he hanged her he said Bukakke Bukkake.Now that you have read this message, she will find you and her dead body will haunt your house for 5 years. Every night you go to sleep she will appear in your closet, hanging their with her glowing red eyes.repost 3 times to be saved

September 10, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse | Reply