Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 17th, 2011

Jada Pinkett Smith on turning 40: "Having had three deaths in the last year... really put everything in perspective"

Jada Pinkett Smith is a guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" this evening, and she talks about career, family and more. In this preview, she tells Piers Morgan about turning 40. "I feel good! Listen, it's inevitable," she said. "Having had three deaths in the last year gave me deep reflection on my life and my blessings, and that really put everything in perspective."

Also on the show tonight – comedian Steve Harvey. Watch the full interviews at 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. julie

Watching Piers Morgan/Jada Pinkett Smith interview on CCN in Australia today. Jada is an inspiring woman who has accurately noted that life is about "enduring"...one to take away.

June 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. cin mcc

I am screming at the tv ... Please let Jada complete a sentence, and stop interupting her! Why does Piers do that!!! Bring Larry King back!

June 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aprille

No, please don't do that.

June 18, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Advocate4civility

Piers Morgan is no different, albeit more intelligent, than most well-known contemporaneous interviewers in that respect. Talking over the guest seems to be an acceptable practice, and it has become ubiquitous. Most probably, it is one way for the interviewer to maintain control of the process, although I believe that some of it derives from nervousness or a not-too-well defined feeling of inadequacy when confronted with a guest whose considerable celebrity or star quality intimidates the interviewer.

June 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vee

I wonder why he does that!

July 30, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Coconut

Are Jada's use of the words, " ya know " and " most definitely " her best effort at responding to a question ? She's in the right place at the right time – taking advantage of Will Smith's talent to get her exposure. Now we know.

June 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rosie Red

Are you serious??!!! "Using the talent of her husband to gain exposure"??!!! Come on!!!! Jada is a star in her own right? Don't try and take anything away from her and what she does because she deserves to be acknowledged as a star because she is one not because she married one. Seems to me that there are a bunch of jealous haters on this post. Do your homework and find out who THE REAL JADA PINKETT is. In no way shape or form does she come off as arrogant or self absorbed. You can learn a few things if you would just pay attention. Keep doing what you're doing MRS. PINKETT SMITH and EFF what the naysayers feel.

June 20, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Msquita

agree with you Rosie b/c actually Jada been acting just as long as Will Smith. And I love her new show Hawthorne! Most people don't know about her roles in tv show like A Different World

June 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lisa

Jada is a star in her own right and by marrying Will Smith it helped in elevating them both. That is what a good union (marriage) is supposed to do elevate and empower your partner I think they have both done just that.

June 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • KayTee

Sounds like one of Will's bitter ex-girlfriends..... lol...... a mess. Using Will's talent to get exposure..... there's this little show called "Hawthorne" don't know if you've come out of your cave in the last few days long enough to get a glimpse...

June 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dedra owens

A WHOLE LIE !!!! AND YOU KNOW IT

June 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bob

She is the epitome of forgetting where she came from, knowing where she is at the time, and that is all that matters.

June 18, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. CL

Wow! People have nothing better to do than be negative about someone they don't know.
    Anyway, thank you for this interview. I lost my father and step father within the past year. At the same time, we're now expecting a second child. Jada is right. There are so many blessings in life to be thankful for and learn from. And I enjoyed her marriage advice as well. Blessings to the Smith family.

June 18, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Michelle

Great interview, Jada's genuine open honesty always comes through everytime she is interviewed...she always calm, confident and real. She is about family 1st and foremost, I love how she reflected on her grandmother, it is the same for me with mine and it touched me...Nice interview!

June 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. coolblueice

I just watched the interview with Jada Pinkett.

I have to admit, I had no idea of who she is before the show came on... My initial reaction was "Who is this self absorbed woman?" ... She went on and on about how important she is and how no one understands who the "real Jada" is... She was right about that.

Don't get me wrong... I don't reject people simply because they are successful... I'm only going by what I was seeing and hearing... This woman is so into herself, there is nothing "real" about her.

June 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nicholas Ayot

True the woman's quite absorbing. What do you mean she's not 'true'?

June 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yvette

Jada comes across as a confident woman who knows who she is and it is just disappointing that being confident is considered self-absorbed. She comes across as really being into herself and that is good so that she knows who she is and she can approach life in a positive way and get positive results. You can be confident in your choices so the outcome is a bit more favorable. Also when you lose loved ones who mean something to you that too can impact your life and help you put into perspective what is really important in life.

June 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Msquita

How can you say that if as you previous stated you never seen her before the interview. Therefore besides acting you don't know what she's done or been thru. That's just like if 1 of us strike fame today and had a interview. No one knows us so how can they judge us

June 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Advocate4civility

I found this interview to be lively, personal and heartening. We seldom see anyone on TV who exudes so much zest for life, personal warmth and directness. I think that Jada was lovely in every respect, despite the fact that I had never seen or heard of her before. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in your marriage, your children and your successes. In my humble estimation, she was neither egocentric nor effusive.

I felt very good watching someone who can express joy and happiness without inhibition, while acknowledging that her life was not always so easy or gratifying. I watched her body language, particularly, and she is a model of poise, grace and dignity.

June 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Layla

i TOTALLY agree. i knew i wasn't the only one seeing the woman who thinks she's so special and blessed!

July 9, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. coolblueice

I don't think I wrote anything about her being "true" or not... I wrote (from my standpoint) that there was noting "real" about her, as far as I could see. Far from being "absorbing", as you put it, I saw only a woman who was hopelessly absorbed with herself.

Keep in mind, I had no idea who she was when the show began, so I was starting with a clean slate. (I found out only relatively late in the interview that she is married to Will Smith... so that had noting to do with my impression of her.")

In my defense, the same ignorance on my part (about who a person is or isn't) was true when I saw a guy for the first time on the Daily Show named "Maziar Bahari". I had never heard of him either, but by the time the interview was finished, I was absolutely impressed by his intellect. I came away thinking, "Wow... This is one smart guy!"

I bring this up only to point out I'm not impressed by how famous a person is (or isn't) or if I've ever heard of them before. It's what they have to say during an interview that grabs my attention.

In this case, however, Piers was fawning all over this Ms. Pinkett. I normally like Piers' approach as he is balanced. He is not "mean" in any way, yet normally asks a few cutting and "uncomfortable" questions of his guests. In Jada Pinkett's case however, it seemed more like a little "love fest" in which he was gushing over her and only feeding her opportunities for her to go on and on about how "important and marvelous" she is. (Opportunities which she was more than happy to exploit.) I just didn't see any "there there", as Gertrude Stine might put it.

"Absorbing"??? No... Self centered and self absorbed... Yes.

June 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • coolblueice

Oh... and one more thing... As I've said before, I had no idea who Ms. Pinkett is before the interview. As such I have no knowledge of any personal loss she may have suffered. If she has "lost loved ones", I'm truly sorry... But without any of that background being explained in the interview (CNN's fault, not hers) her "self confidence" comes across as arrogance and self absorption. An interview good interview should give enough background on someone to make these things clear. This interview did not.

June 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dedra owens

she has a reason to be

June 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Makaka

Thank you! I was wondering if anybody "caught" the difference between "absorbed" and "absorbing!" Whew.

June 21, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Saro

Piers. Could you please change the music bed for your show. its sounds so fake.

June 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. victoria arum

I enjoy watching the program Piers Morgan tonite

June 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. LaBeets

I saw this JADA chick being interviewed and have never seen a more self-absorbed, egotistacal human being.
    According to her she probably thinks she has cured cancer.
    She is riding the tail of her husbands suaccess, without that, everyone would be saying 'Who the hell is this Jada chick'.
    A piece of advice to her, get off your high horse, you are in hollywood, your job whatever it is, contributes nothing to solving societies problems.

June 20, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shug

how do you have so much judgement on someone you don't know? you don't know how she was raised or the trials she went through. Paved her success on her own with no help from Will. If you knew anything about her or hollywood, you might be less judgmental. Of course there's always the possibility that you're just perfect!

June 20, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • jayrobnett

Man aww yhall data saying bad things 8s just haters smh how do u judge someone dat u don't no r never. Meet n my eyes she a very good at wat she dose n she made her name b know on her own not just cuz her husband is will Smith smh. Ppl just need 2 love one another n stop all da hating on teacher n da world would b a better place Mrs jada keep doin wat u doin good job

June 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • BEBOP41967

You know something its sad because people quick to judge.Jade has been around a long time and even before she married Will she was awesome .Making her on money so believe me she had it all before she married Will ya it's good he brought more but she already was on her way before she met him.So please give her, her props!!!!! way to go Jada girl keep up the good work and work it.

June 20, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • truth35Name*

Obviously you don't Jada. She is an actress and was famous before she ever married Will. Self absorb she is not, she is a beautiful, caring, strong, family oriented woman. I was always told if you don't know a person or what they have done in there life you shouldn't judge them. She is a wonderful humanitarian and she is always the same Jada no matter where she or what she does. All I see is a beautiful,strong, confident black woman. I am proud to say I am the same way. Go Jada!!

June 20, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Msquita

You 2 are WRONG Jada has been acting just as long as Will and most people that know this been a fan or her before her and Will even thought one another. Google her!

June 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Dedra Owens

JADA HAS NO REASON TO RIDE WILL'S SUCCESS!!!!! she was successful before she was married to will her appearance on the the very successful sitcom Different World as Lena James where she protrayed a teenage woman from the hood showed teens from hood's all over the world that there is something different and new out there for you if you go to college, and you can make it no matter where you are from and that did help some of societies problems and the show also put her on the map. Let's not forget that she is Tupac shakur's best friend. she has also starred and many movies before, during and if there will ever be an after Will. So JADA WITH ALL THESE HATERS YOU KNOW YOUR DOINGSOMETHING RIGHT. HER #1 FAN

June 20, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • barbara

That's what im talking about GO JADA

June 20, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • dedra owens

at least someone on here is not hating on a person they dont know

June 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rosie Red

Its funny how people always say that a star has forgotten where they come from just because that particular person isn't KNOCKING ON THEIR DOOR GIVING THEM A HANDOUT. Some people should just live their own lives to make themselves happy. You guys don't know what that lady does in her day to day life. She actually endorses several charities so she's dong her part to give back. Live your own life and stop worrying about others. Especially people you don't know from Adam.

June 20, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. D'more97

She was awesome. Best quote from Jada was "life is all about enduring" way to go girl. GOD bless your heart!
    Sincerely,
    D'more97

June 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. jamila murphy

GO JADA !!!! I love u gurl and keep doin yo thang and we all hav haters ..... So haters stop hatein !!!! GO JADA !!!!!

June 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. MRS. BATTWOMAN

REALLY YOU CAN FORM SUCH HATEFUL OPINIONS IN 3 MINUTES? WOW. THEN AGAIN, HATERS ARE GOING TO HATE. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE LATELY?

June 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dedra Owens

Hated on someone who is successsful. how dumb of those who hate a successful actor, wife,mother and role model

June 21, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Reina

But Jada and WIll need to let their children BE children. They need to learn a lesson from how Michael Jackson raised his children - to be sweet, innocent, lovable KIDS, not Hollywood brats! Jada & Will are gonna suffer the consequences with their 2 out of control children eventually.

June 21, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dedra owens

children get out of control no matter what . this is the life jaden and willow want. I think they will be o.k. because jada is there mom.

June 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Awesome

Children DON'T necessarily get out of control NO MATTER WHAT! Yea, when PARENTS go along with their "wants" instead of catering to their "NEEDS!" These kids need to be still and go to school and grow up AS children, not as little Hollywood and music media misfits because their childhoods are being stolen because they have stars in their eyes and, being immature and surrounded by famous people, they may have WANTED to follow in these pursuits. They are TOO YOUNG to get all involved in that lifestyle and almost ALL famous parents PROTECT their children from that! Willow and Jaden will be MESSED UP precisely because Jada and Will allowed them to grow up TOO FAST!

June 21, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. dedra owens

for one AWESOME you are absolutely right if PARENTS go along with their "wants" , but I was refreeing to the ones that dont let their childre hang with a certain group of childern, send to thhem to catholic school catering to their needs for better education, and they cant leave the front porch and curfew is at street lights, but yet and they still ended up messed up NO MATTER WHAT THEIR PARENTS DID TO BETTER THEM!!!!! so check yourself and I am not saying all ju

June 22, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. dedra owens

st some. I think Will and Jada are doing an awesome job children and if they were not in the lime light and shield from it and still ended up MESSED UP then people would say they were overprotected that's why they are MESSED UP! WILL AND JADA WILL BE DAMNED IF THEY DO AND DAMNED IF THEY DONT. KEEP DOING WHAT YOURE DOING WILL AND JADA YOU KNOW THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR CHILDREN AND ANYBODY SHOULD KNOW ITS NOT TO DO HARM!!!

June 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. mquita79

Not to mention, and don't take this the wrong way because I love Will also, but Jada is doing her 3rd season of Hawthorne, Will have nothing going on right now and hasn't in a while. Okay yeah he's doing the behind the scene thing but Jada does that also.

June 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Keisha

I can completely agree with Jada's comments concerning her 40th. We as Black women discover a particular awareness of ourselves as we face our 40s and 50s that somehow transforms itself into a deep spiritual wisdom. I've witnessed this in many women in my family and it's absolutely beautiful.

June 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. judith

Whats up with people! why hate! Jada has every right to express her self how she pleases ,shes a positive black woman who seems to be in a good place. so why cant we as human beings acknowledge that and respect her for conveying a positive out look in life. And just for the record she and Will have created a solid foundation as a team so people really need to stop hating and judging.

June 29, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse | Reply