Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 29th, 2011

Charlize Theron on her parents' "troubled marriage" and why she'll never get married herself

Oscar-winning actress Charlize Theron is a guest tonight on "Piers Morgan Tonight" for the hour, and the wide-ranging interview touches on her turbulent family life, her career, politics and more. In this preview, she says why she doesn't want to get married. "I've been very fortunate enough to be in relationships where I've explained that to my partner and they've been ok with that," she tells Piers Morgan. "Some would say because I came from a very troubled marriage, my parents did not have a good marriage, but I don't think it's that."

Theron said she prefers longterm relationships: "That's the kind of union that I want. The actual ceremony is not something that's important for me." She also talked about her support of gay marriage.

"It's a divine right, and when government starts to tell us who can love and what is good love...I do have a problem with that," she told Piers Morgan. "I do have a problem with the fact that our government has not stepped up to make this federal."

Watch the full, emotional interview with Charlize Theron at 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. bkarthur

i can tell from this interview she's a real troubled soul, she was in a decade long relationship and she never married the guy or even have kids! now we know why.. the lady's got some deep issues which was unfortunate for the irish actor she was seeing.

June 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Adam

She's troubled because she doesn't want to get married or have kids!? Let me guess, you're married and you have kids.

June 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zach

I can tell from your statement that you're the one with the truly troubled soul. The fact that you think she has issues because she was in a long term relationship with someone and didn't get married or procreate with her significant other is the truly troubling thing here. I'd bet my life that you have more issues than she does because your idea of living is solely for the purpose of marriage and procreation which is sad. There's a whole other world out here to live and experience that doesn't revolve around having children or being married. I feel sorry for you that you are too blind and stubborn to see that and be happy for those that chose to experience life instead of living for or through someone else.

June 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • guest

extremely well said! (thanks from another troubled soul who has been in a relationship for 15 years and has no desire to have kids!)

June 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Another troubled soul

I’ve been in a long term relationship for 6 years. I have no desire to get married or have children. O and btw.. I’m Irish.

June 29, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmc

I'm a college educated, gainfully employed, law abiding taxpayer who engages in charity work AND who has chosen not to marry or have children. Am I "troubled" by your definition? I've had great relationships, but I prefer the independence that the single life affords me. I have many wonderful people in my life and I don't think any of them would label me as "troubled". You need to get out more and meet a wider variety of people, bkarthur.

June 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Say What!!!

And the beautiful thing about that kind of freedom is if you change your mind at 60, you can more than likely at least find a companion willing to spend the rest of her/his life with you. Life is sooooo gooood!!

June 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Say What!!!

I imagine this woman doesn't live in the fantasy world she works in and she knows that life is real and you cannot underestimate the power of independence and freedom. She also knows that if she felt totally different, she would trash her career to say so. So why not give the party line and go home.

June 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply

Charlize's mother killed her father in front of her as a child; her father was an angry, abusive man and her mother feared for her life. One day he was on a rampage and she (Charlize's mother) grabbed a gun and shot him. She claimed self-defense and was not prosecuted. Given that type of home life, it stands to reason why she would not want to pursue marriage.

June 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jean Sartre

IF factual... that certainly is a damn good enough reason for me.

June 29, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • joanna38

Well, the word around that area of the world was that Charlize killed him and her Mother took the blame for it. Don't meddle where you have no knowledge or business to start quoting.

March 15, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I disagree with BKArthur. I found her to be self-confident and honest and devoid of phoniness. I was reared in the South where we're taught to treat people the way one would like to be treated and part of that was the old phrase, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." It strikes me as being very meanspirited for you to declare her to be emotionally disturbed.....I think only a psychiatrist who's spent months working with a person is qualified to make such a rude statement. I would love to know her personally.

June 30, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Chris

I have nothing but respect for her decision to not marry.

June 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. FU

Her mother shot and killed her drunk abusive father through the kitchen door, so it goes without saying that she's going to avoid marriage...also, she's from a bible belt country that forced religion down people's throats...and what is marriage but a promise to stay together, to an invisible deity up in the sky?

June 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aezel

Not just invisible, imaginary.

June 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • BigJoel

Actually, marriage as it's being discussed here is mostly a legal matter. Any two people can swear before their God(s) and consider themselves bonded, but the state won't recognize it; and therefore, they will gain none of the rights and privileges of being married (i.e. taxes, etc). The official ceremon debated here, however religious in nature, is besides the point other than as a symbol.

June 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sean

Why marriage?

She could have just as easily blamed: Men, g*ns, alcohol and any of the other numeral topics that can be associated with what happened. I’m am in a 6 year relationship atm, have no desire to get married and no one in my family was even abused let alone shot.

June 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pixiegirl

Isn't Charlize from South Africa? What "Bible belt" country is that?

June 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Really??

Really FU? South Aftica,,,a bible belt country?? I live here and no one is forcing any kind of religion down our throats...we have freedom of religion. So check your facts next time

July 8, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. JohnRJ08

Theron is a millionaire celebrity who is immune to many of the economic and social pressures which make marriage important to many less fortunate people. Her children will always be known as Charlize Theron's kids and few people will wonder if she ever married their father. If you're a kid attending public school and your classmates wonder why you don't have a father, it can get tough. Even kids growing up in split households can have a difficult time with it. This is not a put-down of Theron. She an adult and can make her own choices. But she might show a little more sensitivity to what kids go through in situations like this.

June 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • WOBH

She came from fairly modest roots in South Africa... her father was abusive and she witnessed a marriage full of domestic violence culminating with the violent death of her father. After her father was shot she had only her mother so I think she would have a pretty good appreciation of what kids caught in bad marriages and single parent families go through.

June 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. TrueTH

Marriage goes against the very nature of human beings. It is only because the church has convinced society that in order to be a "good" person, you must be married to the person you're sleeping with that people still do it. In another 100 years, I'd be surprised if marriage even exists anymore. In my mind (and I am married), marriage is little more than a guilt trip and a way to keep lawyers employed.

June 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hugo

Why don't you study some of Desmond Morris' research and, once you've done that, share your opinion.

June 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nah

Nah, it's to show you're committed to a person. Committed, that is, to the extent that you want to be legally bound to them.

But I understand. You want to have your cake and eat it too. Keep someone around as long as they make you feel good, as soon as you're done with them, get rid of them.

How noble of you.

June 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

TrueTH...Marriage a Guilt Trip? It tends to make the reader wonder why you got married in the first place. I'm married and my wife and we've had our differences to the point that we were in counseling more than once, However, without having or making a commitment to God and ourselves…we'd be separated long ago. I've had a great deal of frustration and disappointment in my marriage, but so has my wife. Fortunately, we have a loving Church that helped us through these issues. I don't mean to be sarcastic; I really wish I could help you with encouragement for your marriage to re-focus on why you got married in the first...if those reasons were realistic and shared goals by you and your spouse and not for temporal or unsustainable reasons.

June 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rachael

As a happily married straight woman I disagree with you completely. I am happier than I have ever been now that I am married. Ofcourse you have to find the right person...However, I don't feel the need to impose my preferences on others. Other people, including my own children when they turn 18, are free to make their own relationship decisions. Why does anyone think someone elses relationship choices are their business at all? There is more than one way to be happy and a productive citizens.

June 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Phil McCracken

She's Crazy, but I would still do her.

June 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd

I'm sure that would be music to her ears.

June 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Friend

I applaud her honesty in stating marraige is not in her life plans. Not everyone needs to be married with kids to be "normal" or even happy. It is unfortunate that narrow minded folks feel that everyone must travel the same life path. There are some folks that have found marriage or children do NOT make their life better, but a person would be criticized in the US to admit this in public. Free speech is a right that should be honored.

June 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Choconet

Well what do you and her plan to do when your old and dried up and no one I mean NO ONE to call on! Who will you depend on to care for you? Who will you trust and be able to call on. Sure there is no guarantee that kids will take care of their parents when they get old, but there is nothing more sad than to witness a 75 to 80 year old man/woman at a senior home who has no one I mean NO ONE to call on or visit or care for them. Then you ask them where is your family? Where is your children? More answer “I never married” than “my kids/family don’t visit”.

June 29, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • kgriggs0207

Let's turn the tables. You're 80 years old, your husband or wife has passed away. Your son lives in another state with his wife and kids who have very busy lives of their own and you're watching reruns of American Idol all day. And maybe you begin thinking about those dreams you had as a teen and even after college. Maybe you wanted to visit 10 different countries, but you didn't. Maybe you wanted to start your own company, but you didn't. Maybe you wanted to expand your world view so that you understood not everyone follows the same path, but you didn't. See, using fear tactics to get other people to think like you do is just stupid 'cause I doubt this rant changed you mind in the slightest.

June 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

@Choconet

I hope you have a better reason for getting married than fear of being alone when you’re old.
      And so you know, not everyone that gets married chooses to have children and some can’t. Sure they could adopt but you don’t need to be married for that.

June 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ironic

In one sentence she states "It's a divine right, and when government starts to tell us who can love and what is good love...I do have a problem with that," she told Piers Morgan.

And then she follows up with "I do have a problem with the fact that our government has not stepped up to make this federal."

So do you want the government to be involved or not? She has a problem when they are involved, and she has a problem because they haven't become involved enough.

June 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marin

That isn't really a serious question, is it? How dense can you be...

June 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Nah

marin: "That isn't really a serious question, is it? How dense can you be..."

You may want to keep a mirror handy when you ask that. He's pointing out that she doesn't believe the government should tell you what is and isn't "good" love. But then says, essentially, that the government should sanction gay marriage as "good" love.

Unless, of course, she's really saying that "all" love, irrespective of who or what it's aimed at, should be supported by the government.

June 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

Actually.. She is saying that no one has the right to tell us who to love. And the government should protect that.
        In other words it’s called equality as opposed to discrimination. It really isn’t that difficult a concept.

June 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nah

Not to mention her seeming belief that your "love" is untouchable and you should be allowed to marry whoever you love. Which, of course, would include marrying your brother, your pet, or a pillow.

You get the distinct feeling, however, that she'd be against those types of marriages, but could never tell you why they should be illegal without contradicting and destroying her belief that there should be gay marriage, or any type of marriage, as well.

June 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Sean

@Nah

Just when I thought you couldn’t be more dense you sunrise me. Marriage is a legal contract which means it can only involved adults. So your pets and pillows are out. The reason marriage to relatives is illegal is to protect children from disfiguring physical abnormalities. Seeing as how gays can’t have children with shared genetics that straw man is out also.

June 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey G

Well, I think she meant the government is currently involved by not allowing it. So, to get out of its involvement, she's saying they should makes efforts to allow it.

Odd way of putting it, but the point is there.

June 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. David in Corpus

Please don't get onto her for not wanting kids or marriage. It ain't for everybody. I am married w/ kids and fairly happy about it but that doesn't mean everyone is or should be. I know people with kids who should never have had them. I also know people who got married out of boredom or lonliness which is absolutely no reason(s) to get married. Marriage is a partnership best made with your best friend who you like to fk.
    Friend first, fk later, not the other way around, that is called l u s t or the more modern term 'bennies'.

June 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Robin

I personally don't want a federal law saying anyone can marry anyone. Marriage should be between a man and a woman, period.

June 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • surething

and i think we should still have black slaves

June 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • DrewInPortland

And I really don't think that women should vote... I mean, come on, can women really make intelligent choices??

June 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • lumpy

and i think that mentally ill people (including all religious/mystical diseases) should not walk on sidewalks or under trees. we can call it the "defense of the environment act" (DEMA).

if i was not already happily married to a beautiful, wonderful woman, i'd want to marry my labrador retriever. my MALE labrador retriever. what's wrong with marrying my dog? we won't have any offspring, so we won't be ruining any families and we'll never get divorced because he doesn't have an opposable thumb, so marriage is protected.

June 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

...and how does allowing Gays to marry affect your personal life even one tiney bit? Nobody is asking you to turn gay. Nobody is telling you to change your marriage. Do you want to defentd marriage? Try starting with with the divorce numbers.... and marriages of convenience..... and marriages to make illegals, legal.....and TV shows whhere the winner gets married.

June 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • OldGreg

As soon as the church changes their opinion on the matter, I will as well. Until then, I believe that marriage (which is a religious act) should be between a man and a woman.

June 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • mb2010a

Marriage is NOT necessarily "a religious act". Many people get married without ever setting foot inside a church. In fact, if you don't get your marriage license from the government (not the church) you are not married. Period.

June 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

@Old Greg

Marriage is a LEGAL act. Not a religious one. You can get married without being religious. However you cannot get married as it is defined without legality. But as long as you are letting the church make your decisions for you.. you just continue the stereotype of the mindless flock that are the religious.

P.S. Marriage has been around longer than the church.

June 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • dj

Oh Robin...Silly, Silly WOMAN!

June 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Andy Trevi

I agreed with her, the ceremony is a protocol to make and to spend more money. it is more important to have someone who provide emotionally and physicall support to you than the ceremony. Someone who you can count on him or her whenyou needed,

June 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. notsureaboutthisone

I find it interesting that when she speaks of "marriage" she keeps referring to the wedding ceremony. People get married for many different reasons, but the actual ceremony is just the beginning of the union. She fails to understand that the ultimate sign of commitment to a person in both faith and legality is via marriage.
    She is right to say that just because it doesn't suit her, doesn't mean she doesn't support others in their efforts to get married. Still she trivializes "marriage" by referring to her friend as wanting to be a princess for a day. Does she really think people would sacrifice years of their lives just to wear a dress for a couple of hours?

June 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Maganda

Marriage....the media, government, and religion throw that down our throats from the day you are born. I know very few happy married people. It's great in the beginning but like all things they DIE! If the gays want to be married...I say go for it. They should be allowed to be miserable like the rest of us.

June 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. yea and

who cares everyone needs to mind their own damn business.... busy bodies.. dont yall have a rapture to prepare for?

June 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donedeal

Yeah, and hell has been prepared for a whole lot more folks than I ever care to count!

June 29, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Sean

@Donedeal

That’s because the religious only bother counting when the collection plate is returned.

June 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. 2tor

Never heard of her.. but I really like this Morgan guy :)

June 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JQ

Are you from Mars?

June 29, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Martian

No he's not we've heard of her here. She makes my antennae stand up.

June 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really??

How is that possible 2tor?

July 8, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. BlueEYes218

A marriage doesnt make someone happy! Any relationship is what you make of it. It all requires maintenance – long term relationships, marriage...no one wants to work for anything anymore. SO sad

June 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Nick

She's an alien. Not the illegal kind, but the outer space kind.

June 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Kelly

Did I miss something? She says ""I do have a problem with the fact that our government has not stepped up to make this federal." Last I knew she is a South African citizen. A country where, up until not too long ago, apartheid was the norm.

June 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • KCM

South Africa does have its issues, for sure, but they do allow gay marriage. So I'm thinking she's speaking about her adopted country (and correct me if I'm wrong, but is she not a citizen of the US too?)

June 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • J

According to Wiki, she was naturalized in 2007. Regardless, citizenship does not preclude someone who pays a Federal Income tax from having an opinion.

June 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Alex

Lovely lady - knows what she wants and isn't afraid to say so. More people should be like that.

June 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. flyboy7588

Who give a crap what this Hollywood bubble head thinks??????

June 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Choconet

All the stupid idiots who hang on everyone word that comes out of the mouth of a celebrity. Duh!

June 29, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Garry

Do some research on her before you make judgements so quick,. She does come from a very bad place where the family was torn apart.
    I think she makes perfect sense, and just because she doesn't conform to some of others ideas on here doesn't make her wrong in what she believes.
    I praise her insight and her ability to explain why she feels as she does.

June 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Rachael

People should be able to marry whomever they want or not marry at all. It should be no ones business other than the two people involved. There is more than one way to be happy and why any one cares who another person marries is beyond me. I don't mind some religions being against gay marriage because there are plenty that support it, but it should definitely be legal on a Federal level. Marriage isnt for everyone and there should be no issues with people that don't want to get married – gay or straight. I like being married but that doesnt mean I need to impose my preferences on others. Let's legalize gay marriage and move on to addressing actual problems in the US.

June 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Choconet

Oh so "gay marriage" is far more important than all the other "real" problems we have going on in our country? Way to distract from the real issues. I don't know if you heard but this country is in deep debt to a communist country, people are losing their homes, we're in a deep recession and states are having serious financial troubles of their own!!! No let’s focus on the "real" problems going on in this country and let each state decide on gay marriage.

June 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • stejo

Last I checked, there wasn't a helluva lot being done about anything else, and yes, if you were gay, you might think this was kind of important. Not to mention, how long would it take to do this? not that long. It's not like the "actual problems", where solutions are practically non-existent. This one's easy.

June 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LisaL

Does she still even act? Never see her in anything anymore.

June 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. YBP

Is she gay? Were her parents gay? The headline here is a bit misleading. Eye-catching, but misleading.

June 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Don

I hate that people turn to celebrities for social commentary, as if their opinion is any more important than anyone elses.

June 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. jeff

It is unconscionable that the federal government is not allowing all American the same rights, freedoms and protections. The fact that Obama will not stand up for the rights of all Americans is sickening. I wonder what he would have said if Lyndon Johnson had shown the same lack of conviction and compassion in 1965. Would Obama be OK with the Civil Rights Act of 1965 not being passed because it was “not the right time”? He is a disgrace and I will not make the mistake of voting for him twice!

June 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • libertarian mike

It surprised me as well. I thought, given his background, he'd come from the angle that bigotry and discrimination is wrong. But here I am, a white male that never faced such discrimination, and even I know better. Even worse, come election time, his opponent probably isn't going to be much better on this issue either. The LGBTQ folks will end up voting for someone that doesn't believe in Gay Marriage. Sure, he's okay with Civil Unions for gays, but that's like separate drinking fountains. If I were gay, instead of fighting for the right to marry, I'd instead fight for government to stop acting like it has a right to issue certificates in the first place.

June 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. libertarian mike

When you think about it, marriage (today) is just a government certificate. That certificate doesn't actually prove anything toward the relationship. To those saying she doesn't have convictions because she doesn't care about a piece of paper, you're missing the point. I don't need a politician or judge to bless or approve my relationship. I don't need a piece of paper to make my love official. As for all of the legal benefits you get with that piece of paper, like hospital visitation rights or pension recipients... attaching such rights to a marriage certificate is actually part of the problem, not a solution.

June 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Patrick

She seems to think that a marriage is about a wedding. Ignoring the minor details like lifelong partnership, support, security, etc.

June 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • libertarian mike

Marriage is a piece of paper. You don't need that piece of paper to have a lifelong partnership, support, security, etc.

June 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Patrick

Oh, snap, you're right. You totally just changed my mind about everything I thought before.

June 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. korben

Well if she is correct that it is a divine right! then why do we need government to step in an say who has the right to wed or not! And that said we should then say it is up to the Devine Churches to say who can or cannot wed. I bet Gay's and Charlize would not like the word Define after that is done. But yes by all means let us say it is a devine right and the church has the final say on this. I wont be upset either way they go!

June 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Charlize's Future Boyfriend

I don't want to get married either. See, Charlize? We're perfect for each other! Now, if you would just drop that restraining order..

June 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. David

Hey, can you all do me a favor and visit HelpFaye.ORG , its about a friend fighting for her life... Peace..

June 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Sunshine1949

You people are all nuts and should spend your time doing volunteer work or something else that is USEFUL

June 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Steve Kasian

There is absolutely no law or restriction on people being in love. Anyone can be in love with anyone else. Heck, a gay, asian person who is a conjoined twin with cerebral palsy can be in love with 2 people from every race, color and religion, including animals! Nothing's gonna disallow that... there are no laws against that. So her argument is moot. She first states that marriage isn't important to her, but then goes on to say that she realizes how much joy it brings to other people... and that it shouldn't be denied anyone... and then equates love to marriage. Love isn't about marriage. Love is about commitment. Love isn't about getting to do something that brings you joy. Just because someone's in love, should they be able to run naked through the streets during rush hour? If it brings them joy, why not? Why should anyone who's in love be denied anything that brings them joy? That's what she's saying. She's equating marriage to the ultimate act of love, when clearly it isn't – it certainly isn't for her. Heck, she doesn't even need it. SHE TREATS EVERY RELATIONSHIP LIKE A MARRIAGE. Hmmmm.... let's see... maybe EVERYONE SHOULD TRY THAT. Then they could quit crying about not being able to get married!

June 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. thebourneblogger

It's not the gov't who thinks they can tell people what they can do and who they can love... It's religious zealots and Republicans....

June 29, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • blf83

Yes, but the gvt has been taken over by the religious zealots and the Repubes.

June 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • thebourneblogger

I don't think it's fair to lump the entire government into this group of control freaks just b/c the Republicans revolve in and out of the White House every other term... It seems like every time a Democrat is in office progress is made for gay equality only to be set back and vetoed when the GOP gets another chance at the throne...

June 30, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  35. whitby3170

Hey Piers you should try and hookup Charlize and Goerge Clooney. They have one big common interest long terms relationship no marriage!!

June 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Michael

The bible is a work of fiction, as is "The Wizard of OZ". If it had been written back in ancient times, we'd be worshipping the "Wiz" and making pilgrimages to the Emerald City. Religion is a crock...

June 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Dan

"It's a divine right...and when government starts to tell us ...I do have a problem with that. "I do have a problem with the fact that our government has not stepped up to make this federal."

Wait... it's divine...and a problem with the government saying anything about it... but the government SHOULD say something...

Stick to acting... your personal views are just that personal... keep them that way.

June 29, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dj

Why should she keep her opinion to herself?....you don't.

June 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Dr. Bobo

You all are a bunch of scary people. Take a toke of this and relax. It's ok...I'm a Doctor.

June 29, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Andy

It's ok Charlize. You can just shack up with me.

June 29, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Ralph

This is a common problem for actors. When there is no script they are blithering idiots who can barely connect two words in a sentence let alone express a cogent thought.

Stick to the movies Charlize where everything you say is written by someone else much smarter than you.

June 29, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dj

You realize famous people are normal people with varying ideas and opinions right? No different than you. I think you're just jealous that she gets to state her opinions on TV and you have to troll around on the net.

June 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ugonna wosu

her sentences sounded just fine and very intelligently put together. You are just searching for a way to put her down because you disagree with her.

January 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. God

YAY!!! As always...these post are filled with Atheist trolls =D

June 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. murpis

I don't believe in gay marriage but I also don't believe that I am one to say that other's shouldn't. I am in no place to judge anyone and if it happens, then more power to them. It does not affect me. I wish people would just worry about themselves. I do believe that gay people deserve the right to love who they want to love and to gain the same benefits that married couples get. Heck, maybe I do support gay marriage.

June 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. James

Nobody has any absolute verifiable proof that there is or is not a god, so there is little point in debating the matter. Either you believe or you don't, it's a personal and IMO private matter between you and your god of choice or lack thereof.

June 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. woodrow

After two failed marriages myself, I can't say she is wrong in her beliefs. Women have changed.

June 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bent

Hmmm...two failed marriages. Maybe the problem is woman. It's you.

June 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Hamish

I WISH I'd never gotten married

June 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Wallace Ben-Wa

Charlize can toke on this ============================================>

June 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Sharon is Stoned

WOOW she shot her own dad, you go girl!

June 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Jackson

Why is it that some people can't tolerate other people's intolerance?

June 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Mari

Not very bright...

June 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Dean

most important question.....is that beer and sandwiches on the table?

June 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. blf83

I was married 36 years. I am divorced. I do not wish to marry anyone. I believe that any person wishing to marry another – consensually – should be permitted to do so.

June 29, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. tom

Read the bible people. All I can say is they will burn in hell. My problem is when gays adopt kids and they bring them up the gay way. That is wrong and our coutry will die because of it. So burn burn burn.

June 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ssolilrose

Wasn't it a straight couple who gave birth and raised the gay person? Just sayin....

June 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  53. teamroper

Gays, just like i$lamists, are terrorists

June 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. Heffalump

I say let the gays get married. They'll see marriage isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

June 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  55. GrowUp

If you don't like gay marriage, then don't have one.

June 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  56. The Verdict is in

The grass is always greener. Many married people want to be single, single people want to be married. Many who have kids long for the childless lifestyle and many who don't wish or think they'd want kids. If you're gay you deserve the same chance as a married straight married couple to be miserable at times. What hurts most marriages, people can't recover financially from the cost of the wedding or the lawyer when it doesn't work.
    To each his own plays nicely into this. I'd be pretty happy to be snuggling up next to her married or not.

June 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  57. GrowUp

@Tom: you're a moron. I bet you waited to get raptured on 5/21/11. Get psychiatric help dude.

June 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bard999

Unfortunately I think Tom's condition is terminal with no hope of recovery...

June 29, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  58. the_dude

I thought we had already discussed these holywood-types and their opinion. Whoopdeedoo some deranged lunatic actress who can't commit to anything supports gay marriage. What a shocker.

June 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. AndyMax

I like Charlize Theron's acting; that's all. I don't buy tickets to her movies so I can sit there for two hours and wish her into hell. Apparently some people do.
    I wonder why she would do an interview such as this to begin with. She'll be crucified by half the people who watch (even though they despise her views they'll watch anyway, so they can poke her with a sharp stick).
    It's just another wasted interview with an oscar winning actress that instantly devolves into a war of words over gay marriage and God.
    Theron has yet to learn how many people in the messed-up America of today are cold-blooded, cruel, and un-sympathetic to everyone else – even to award winning actresses. She hasn't learned that talking politics and religion should be avoided at all costs, because both sides are always dead-sure they're both right. Maybe she'll wake-up to that minor detail after the interview runs and she gets shredded to bits by a hundred-million fans turned self-appointed morallty judges, and who are compelled to tell Theron and the rest of us, how bad we are and how good they are.
    They're the ones with the long, nosy noses and built-in snap judgements for all but themselves.

June 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  60. jdog

let people in love DO WHAT THE HELL THEY WANT...if they want to get married, let them, if they don't WHO CARES...this BS against is simply that BS!!!!!!!!

June 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  61. the_dude

What country do gays come from btw? What language do they speak?

June 29, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  62. valwayne

The comment about gay marriage not being Federal was a good point! With even Republicans stepping up to pass Gay Marriage like they did in NY, Obama's official position from 2008 opposed to Gay Marriage which is another way of saying in favor of discrimination is an outrage. His comments that he's evolving are just stupid. This isn't brain surgery! Its already too late for the President to Lead on this issue, but he could at least fall in line behind the Republicans in NY? Call it Leading from Behind! Unless he wants to remain committed to his official policy of discrimination against Gay Men and Women as he goes into the 2012 elections?

June 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lean6

Only an idiot thinks the Republicans pushed for gay marriage in NY, or even supported it for anything other than political reasons. I have more belief that President Obama was forced to measure his stance as President for practical/political reasons and choosing his battles than I have an ounce of belief that Republicans are for gay rights. Give me a break! It's laughable! You think a Republican would thumb his nose at one of the central cars of their "Family Values" and religious right train?

June 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  63. GrowUp

Obama, like all politicians, is not a leader. He is a vote collector.

June 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  64. msyellarose

Look, live and let live I say but please just keep your personal business personal. I've gotten tired of having it thrown up in my face. I get it.

June 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Q

You are the biggest moron on this board. Gay people hide. who exactly is in your face. If it is HBO you are whining about, cancel it. In the real world, away from the computer and the television your fat doodle eating rears collects weight on, gay people are not making out on the streets, you are such a tool. Do you think people want to see straight people making out in public. why don't you disgusting straight people keep YOUR Damned lives private? I am sick of seeing YOU PEOPLE S*XULAIZING EVERY ASPECT OF OUR SOCIETY. It is entirely YOU people who are responsible for the pre-mature aging of your youth because YOU people control everything. YOU people are responsible for ALL ills of society, NOT gay people so keep sanctimonious BS and shove where straight people fear to tread.

June 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  65. Don - Canada

God created marriage? The word marriage is in the english version of the bible. So I guess the word "marriage" was an interpretation of the bible about 800 years ago when it was translated into english. The key word is interpretation. There were many and are still many many interpretations from that big ol book. There are a few teachings from the bible that are easily interpreted such as love thy neighbor, do onto others etc. If everyone sticks to those we will all be okay.

June 29, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Buddy R

Sir, in the second chapter of the book of Genesis God says God created male and female and the man is to leave his husband and cleave to his wife. One man. One woman. That is marriage.

June 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  66. Ellenya

US has a democratically elected government ellected by majority so saying that"government starts to tell us who can love and what is good love..." is not true. What is true is that the majority of people in the US (except New York and few other states) do not support gay marriage.

June 29, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • k

Haha that's hysterical. It's so cute that you think that politicians NEVER insert their own beliefs into their voting.

June 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charlie

You will see that "few other states" grow drastically in the coming years. Once it is more commonly identified as bigotry, your views will become very unpopular (rightly so) very quickly. No one likes to be seen as a bigot.

June 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  67. bard999

@karlotious

yes I am old and hate gays and young people, including my kids...all us old people hate gays and young people and their kids...You have it so right, you are a genius and I am sure that your degrees from Oxford and MIT reflect this...

June 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  68. AlBundyfromMarriedWithChildren

Only an idiot would get married after watching the old TV series "Married With Children".

June 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  69. Glen

Husband & Wife...or...Butt Buddies, Holy Matrimony...or...Butt Buddies, Wedding Between Man & Women...or...Butt Buddies...you do the math.

June 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  70. V

Charlize could not have said it any better. If you are against gay marriage then don't have one. Butt out of other peoples' love lives & mind your own business!

June 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  71. Kaviona

" Our freedom ends when the freedom of others begin"
    @tom: based on the amount of hatred and bias and prejudice in your heart, you'll definitely burn in hell as well... with the people that you so despise. You will also0 burn with them fro eternity.. enjoy!

June 29, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  72. Barry

Sean,

Your words show that you’re ignorant about Christianity and history.

You said: “Marriage is as old as written history. Christianity is not.”

The Gospel of Matthew begins by stating that Jesus Christ is the descendant of Abraham. This means that Jesus is the ultimate fulfillment of the promise God made to Abraham in Genesis 12, when God said, "through your seed [Aabram] all peoples of the world will be blessed."

(Abraham was called from a part of the world known as Ancient Mesopotamian, where writing is believed to have begun, even slightly before that of Ancient Egypt.

The Gospel of Luke (see: chapter 4) traces Jesus’ ancestry back to Adam, whom Luke calls the son of God.

The Gospel of John (often called the Fourth Gospel) states that Jesus is the logos or the incarnate word, which existed before time itself.

“In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God….And the word became flesh and dwelt among us….and we have beheld his glory, as that of the only son of God, who was begotten by the father.”

(John 1:1-14)

June 29, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brent

Oh dear Lord, you are a lost cause. The bible was written my man...many, many, many years after all those events allegedly took place. You are intelligent, but you will never be willing to face the truth. Your whole world would crumble. That's okay what ever keeps you going. Just don't step on everyone who doesn't hold the same truths you do. Such as denying marriage to people because your personal religous beliefs get in the way of being an American.

June 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Barry

First of all, how do you know that I am a man, or is calling someone “my man” the manner in which you are accustomed to converse with others?

You’ll have to forgive me, but I shy away from slang and other forms of colloquial expression, like “my man” , “dude”, etc., out of fear that they may make me appear ignorant and ill-bred.

Second I said nothing about my views of marriage or about gays and marriage. Why would you assume that you know anything about what I believe or think about these matters? And why would you judge me or any other person, without knowing the facts of the case under consideration?

Finally, in my post to Sean, I simply pointed out his errors—and they were errors–by stating what any informed person knows.

Incidentally I only consider myself to be an average person, with a reasonably good mind.

Perhaps you should think, before you write (or speak), and perhaps you should refrain from judging others, especially when you do know about that of which you write or speak.

June 30, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  73. Wzrd1

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea WHAT Charlize Theron has to do with a law in New York state. Why is her opinion worth more than mine, yours or the dog catcher that she is noteworthy of an interview on the subject?
    Is Larry the Cable Guy the next interview by Piers on the subject?

June 29, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  74. Linda

I am from a very Conservative town (thank the Good Lord I've moved) but many of my friends are still there. I love them despite their delusion and lack of interest in facts and even that they thump the Bible loudly and often (except when it comes to the love of Jesus for ALL mankind and the over 2200 entries in the Bible about helping the poor–ha, could you ever, ever see a Conservative quoting those?). Anyway, so many have led such interesting (and what a prude liberal like me calls risque') lives - many affairs, many crimes, many hatreds sown of ignorance. The real destroyer of marriage in this country is not gays, it is Conservatives who blast everyone else when their own lives are shameful examples of what not to do.....Still love them though (we liberals tend to love everyone no matter what) and hope that one day their prejudices and hatreds will ease (although since there are no black citizens where I am from, there is an outstanding hatred of blacks that would curl your toes, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that they hate gays as well). So sad.......

June 29, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Buddy R

Sir, studies show conservatives are more charitable than liberals. And certainly Christians have many thousands of organizations that help the homeless, poor, orphans, ect, and atheists have NONE to my knowledge. Your bashing of Christians is just hate rhetoric.

June 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Brent

From the charity work I do in numerous organizations, I would have to agree with you. Conservatives make huge contributions, the wealthiest do so after stealing it in numerous shady ways from people who have to work for a living. Then they throw some money at a charity (run by liberal volunteers) in order to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

June 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Zelda

The West has gone insane altogether, both men and women, by having no gallant men or virgin brides in the land. No wonder everybody acts like teenagers forever, destroying the new generations.

June 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  76. Joe

Who gives a rats ars what she thinks! She's just another overpaid actress and as far as I'm concerned, inconsequential.

June 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  77. SoCal

Can we all just learn to get along .. humm that suggestion may be trademarked. I mean, what I really want to know, is how to make the best Margarita for this weekend. Pls add your comments and ingrediences.

June 29, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  78. Buddy R

No, miss Hollywood, g_ay marriage is not a divine right. The only marriage that is actually marriage is between a man and a woman. G_ay marriage has never been accepted in any culture.

What I want to know is, CNN has been running pro same gender marriage stories for weeks, 3 or 4 a day. When is the other side of the debate going to get their turn?

June 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • tomicT

The other side of the debate? Oh, you mean the hate-,mongerers....I get it! The other side – holier than thou- of the debate, right? Yeah, I can see how you are soooo freakin' right and everyone else is soooo freakin wrong! Wake up, join the ne century....I PROMISE! you will actually begin to like yourself! cheers!

June 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  79. lumpy

and i think that mentally ill people (including all those with religious/mystical diseases) should not walk on sidewalks or under trees. we can call it the "defense of the environment act" (DEMA).

if i was not already happily married to a beautiful, wonderful woman, i'd want to marry my labrador retriever. my MALE labrador retriever. what's wrong with marrying my dog? we won't have any offspring, so we won't be ruining any families and we'll never get divorced because he doesn't have an opposable thumb (to sign the divorce papers), so DOMA is not violated.

June 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  80. Karen

I think everyone should read The Shack-or better yet-listen to it on audiobook so you can really feel the words!

June 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  81. lance corporal

she can be my friend anytime, and she's spot on about the Gov't shouldn't be in the biz of managing who should love who or how or when or basically any aspect of our personal lives, regulate financial markets and such, stay out of my bedroom...... unless your charlize theron

June 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  82. JoeM

New York, you are ripe for judgement, 9-11 will seem insignificant to what is coming to you. God is not mocked.

June 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • lump

Are you threatening the good city of New York, Sir?

June 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Brent

No. No. He's just speaking for God. Because apparently of all the billions of individuals on the planet earth, this is the guy God has told all his secret plans to.

June 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • barabbbas2010

wrong again. your god is mocked all the time just as every other deity

June 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  83. truth2power

Marriage IS gay!

June 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  84. Dirk

If someone shares there love differently than me then I'm fine with it. I believe even if God opposes such unions God is a loving God and he/she/it embraces all of life and forgives any transgressions. The fact that people can't forgive and/or fear such unions is there problem – not God's.

June 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  85. kiley

that 3rd party contract that is marriage is responsible for more mass destruction than anything. ask any divorce attorney, they will say that there are those who are divorced and then there are those working towards it. and if you're stupid enough to get married, go into it while planning for divorce. not my words but i totally agree...

June 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  86. Linkin' Quark

I must be a bigot, Luddite, trailer trash, religious zealot, etc because i'm against gay marriage right? I mean i can't think for myself and Fox News tells me all i need to know, isn't that it? How about i'm an average guy who just wants life to have a sense of normalcy. A male and a female joining together as a family and reproducing is normal. The best gays can hope for is artificial insemination or adoption – not normal (sorry adopted people). And as a society we should strive for better than that. If telling it like it is offends you, and makes you think im a tool of the GOP, you're a lot more narrow minded than you think. Ima go now, later much

June 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  87. Moe

She needs to put those great genes to work and start cranking out some good looking white kids. Time's a-wasting.

Aw, hell, what am I thinking - give her two years and she'll be adopting some pitch-black little fashion accessory.

June 29, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • barabbas2010

racism is also a terrible disease of the mind

June 29, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brent

@Moe
      Conservative christian I take it?

June 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Moe

Atheist, actually. But thanks for asking.

And the predictable libtard response was amusing. Thanks for that, too.

June 29, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • ugonna wosu

it was as predictable as your predictable racism.

January 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  88. barabbas2010

religion is a terrible disease of the mind

June 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  89. eric

People can love whoever they want w/o gay marriage being legal. People can have anyone marry them too. The law deals with whether the gov't will legally recognize the marriage, but any religion can marry a dog to a cat if they want.

June 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  90. john

death to all old white republicans! long live the new flesh!

June 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  91. Efeturhi

Why is it always like this that humans always like things that are not right , unless there are laws to checkmate them. Charlize Theron should pass for my garbage collector .

June 29, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Billy P.

Efeturhi, I agree with you 100 percent. Somehow people try to use these Hollywood types as though they are some sort of authority on moral issues. These people are the worst examples to give advise on moral issues. Half of them are anti-God in their thoughts already and the lifestyle they live and seems to think is normal, is shameful. The lawless will never find fault in the lawless. It is normal behavior to them. This woman has no moral teaching or she just subscribe to the Hollywood mindset to survive. She chose Hollywood over divine teaching. She uses the word divine and have no clue of it's meaning in her heart. She is a loser just like all the other losers who support gay marriage.

June 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  92. jim

I am glad that gays are achieving equal treatment in this country. That only leaves one group that has no equal rights, the old, white male. I am looking forward the day when that group will have its rights protected. I would hope that old white males and the other segment of population that will eventually become old white males, will take it upon them to protect the rights of this group.

June 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Billy P.

Jim, I think people like you just disregard the word of God and place your trust in man's law. I do believe people like you will regret your ignorance and defiance of our Lord's word and receive what is due to you.

June 29, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  93. PSully

I will never be married and I have my parent to thank for this. My parents were married for 52yrs without even a separation. My father never laid a hand on my mother all those years. They never seemed to take any joy in their marriage though, my father was angry most of the time and indifferent the other time. My mother griped about all of
    the things she missed out on in life and was basically a miserable person.
    When I asked why they got married,they said " That is what people did in those days".
    I will not be a brainless drone and I will make up my own mind. I see marriage as an archaic idea that is really unnecessary.
    If you want to get married knock yourselves out. Not me. To hell with what society thinks.

June 29, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  94. River Guy

I don't get this. Isn't it the whole point that you should be able to get married if you want to, to the person you love – or NOT get married? So she doesn't want to get married. Fine. What's the issue? I mean, it's her life – let her live it. It's not like that decision is hurting anyone else – marriage may be a public display, but its a display of something very personal, and not for others to judge....

June 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  95. Sad

So sad to hear that Charlene doesn't want to get married because I would marry her in a heartbeat and I'm a woman.

June 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  96. brian

thanks charlize for speaking your mind and thereby causing me to not care about ever seeing any of your movies, past present or future. i'm not gay, but keep your garbage to yourself... i used to listen to john mayer's music until the wshole universe discovered this incoherent fool who rambled endless about his relationships in a nonsensical, non musical environment... WE DONT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR TRASH. Just sing songs and make movies.

June 29, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Edward

We? We who? You mean you right?

June 29, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Billy P.

We includes me also Edward. Not all of us are spiritually ill.

June 29, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ugonna wosu

why use the word "trash"? Because you disagree.

January 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  97. oh my

What's all this bible talk? Where are the followers of Harry Potter, another great work of fiction?!!

June 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Billy P.

You will find out when you take your last breath. This kind of Anti-God thinking will take you just where you're afraid to go. That's a promise the Bible will keep.

June 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • breathless

Just for fun, if I was a maker of gods, say a God Maker, I would make my God(s) nice. My God would not mete out punishment just because of who consenting adults love, especially since it's based on biology which is something my God is responsible for. I also wouldn't make a God that is so into retribution. I would save retribution for such egregious things as child abuse (oops, sorry clergy but you'd be in a whole lot of trouble if you did wrong to a child) and possibly for the Doodlebops, who are so annoying to the point of evilness.

June 29, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michael

Sorry to ruin your day, but after your last breath?....nothing.

June 29, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Edward

Marriage isn't necessary or natural. If two people want to separate marriage will not keep them together. Some may say that it's about two people's union with god, I'd argue that god didn't mind our ancestors having intercourse without marriage. Heck if you believe in evolution you could argue that god even endorsed polygamy at one point with the alpha male mating with all of the females. Man created the concept of marriage. That said, I am not against marriage, I think it's a good thing but I don't think it's a must as some religious people want us to believe.

June 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  99. Nokat

There needs to be separation of celebs and politics
    Most celebs should stick to their fairytale entertainment

June 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michael

Hey!...I know! How about a separation of church and state?

June 29, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Veritum

Hey!...
        Could you please explain what YOUR definition of this would look like because no two people in this country can seem to agree on a common interpretation.
        Thanks

June 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Veritum

Just a quick question and comment;
    Gay is a divine right? I'm confused. From what source does this actress derive that idea? What does she mean by divine? As determined by whom? Is she implying the existence of a Divine God? It would be nice to know to which god, gods or goddesses she is referring for her point of reference. But if there is no God, then there is no divine. Divine is relative depending on whom you are asking and objectively means nothing.
    But if being gay is a "divine right" then who has thus bestowed it and declared it divine? If merely a man or this woman, then divine is again, relative. Is she referring to one of the 330 million Hindu gods? Or maybe Buddhism, but classic Buddhism is atheist. She cannot be referring to the God of Islam. Sharia Law will kill you for this infraction. And she cannot be referring to the God of the Christian Bible – there is absolutely 0 support. Maybe the god of her dreams and her creation has thus declared it. But, what does that mean? Nothing.
    This is why actors and actresses should stay out of politics and religion. Stay in your field, do your job, and stop philosophically embarrassing yourselves. It embarrasses the rest of us.
    If you don't wish to marry, please do not. Its hard work, but not without its benefits. You get out of it what you put into it – like a cookie jar. And if you are not interested in this kind of work please, please – do not ever have children. There is no room in a child's life for a self-centered, selfish, serve-me, narcissist in their little lives.
    Thank you for your time.

June 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Edward

By divine I assume she means natural. She said love is divine, I agree with her that love is divine as in it was not created by us but we are subject to it. It just is, that doesn't mean that I subscribe to a religious ideology.

June 29, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  101. CJR

I don't care what they call it, just give me the same rights and protections as everyone else. If a church doesn't want to perform a ceremony for GLBT peoples, then that should be their right to say no. However, for 90% of gay and lesbians, they will simply walk into a court room, sign a piece of paper and party privately with their friends and family. I will gladly choose to keep the church out of my wedding plans, but the church needs choose to STAY the way out of my wedding.

I'll take a Civil Union as well as long as my partner and I are protected under the law.

June 30, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  102. Adela Wolf

Marriage is important to insecure women who need a man to feed them and to man enslaved by the societal norms, trying to grow up in a completely wrong way. Soon it will be the question of class. Only poor and uneducated will be the ones who get married. The rest will be rich enough to believe in pure love, the one which is not so delicate and fake, that it has to be guaranteed by the contract.

June 30, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  103. Sanni

I do not see anything wrong in praising one's mother, but this lady was asked to portray her father and for about a minute she could not utter a word for her father. How odd! Father may not be a saint, but is still the father.

July 17, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ugonna wosu

how is it odd? Her father is a complicated issue.

January 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  104. criminal minds

I feel this is one of the most vital information for me. And i am happy reading your article. However wanna remark on few general issues, The website taste is wonderful, the articles is in reality great : D. Good job, cheers

June 17, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  105. Finally a solution for weight loss

I am glad I found your site. I am exploring the Internet as I never have before. I have more time since I reitred. I can see that there is a rich diversity in the blogs I am reading and I am trying to leave some comment whereever I visit. I don't understand everything that is in all the blogs that I read, but I like your presentation here in this blog. I not only read and comment on the blogs of others but I now have my own blog and my own website. My email and site are included with this post. I hope you approve that I did this. It seems to be customary so I went ahead with it. TheVeryBest2You 13 7

August 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  106. I am just getting started on the Internet. I am retired now. There are a lot of topics on the Internet and I am reading on many of those and commenting. You have made your blog more interesting than most that I read. Thanks for that. Well you know I have

Great paintings! This is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared across the internet. Disgrace on Google for no longer positioning this submit upper! Come on over and talk over with my site . Thanks =)

August 5, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  107. I am exploring the Internet as I never have before. I have more time since I reitred. There is quite a rich diversity of information in blogs so I am getting involved and commenting. Your blog is not like most of the blogs that I read on the Internet, and

Definitely consider that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the easiest factor to understand of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed whilst people think about worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as neatly as outlined out the entire thing with no need side-effects , other folks could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

August 5, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  108. Création de site web pas cher

Nice blog here! Additionally your website lots up fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate link to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

September 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  109. Polly

you mean, she's not right because she doesn't share YOUR convictions.

June 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  110. Wes

Some people are not the marring type. what is wrong with that? Troubled soul is over board conviction is low and for you opinion to be so off base think about this......While people stand there and say gays will ruin marriage and families. Decrease the stability of the USA or the World. End Christian civilization as we know it. Show me the proof that this has happened in other places in the world. Show me the bible where it says that(new testament and dont pull a translated bible out read it in Hebrew) and show me the facts that marriage has decreased since the 60s & 70s when the hippies were spreading all the diseases. Look at your own convictions before throwing them on others.

June 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  111. sheppard

You're not right. You have no convictions. See – you're not the only one who can be a self-righteous mind-reading know-it-all...

June 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  112. BJ

Seems to me that she is basically saying that gays aren't the ones destroying marriage. The straights are doing a fine good job of it on their own. Her first hand account is her proof.

June 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  113. JohnnyDH

I can't stand this type of close-mindedness that "anyone that does not think like I do is inferior". I enjoy talking to and associating with people with different opinions than mine. I happen to think that there should be no gay marriage, that we should obliterate anyone/anywhere that is a threat to our national security, and that we should eliminate all publicly funded social programs. Does this mean that I talk down to people who disagree with me? No, in fact I have many good friends who feel differently and we enjoy debating the pros and cons of different policies. Wake up and realize that different doesn't explicitly mean bad.

June 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  114. Billy

Yes, A Family is the "UNIT" of Society. If more and more people follow this logic, our Society will certainly have bad consequences. So such comments (no marriage) are OK as long as they are for Individuals or Gays (behind doors) => Do NOT make this as part of the Society because IT IS JUST NOT PART OF IT. Period.

June 29, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  115. Breyette

Can we call it a civil Union? Marriage was created by GOD for Man & Women, man cannot change that what God intended marriage to be. A Civil Union would be a something a lot more of us could live with. When we think we can change something God created, we have problems.

June 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  116. steve

If I am not mistaken that was an intolerant statement by you....one who probably proclaims tolerance for all. If others do not agree with you go rot in a corner. Marriage provides much to our society economically and other-wise apart from those religous people rotting in the corner....just saying

June 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  117. korben

June 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  118. Apocatequil

Maybe you can get that conviction thrown out if you apply for a pardon.

June 29, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  119. Marcei

What ? ! Charlize, contact me ! I'll show you how to have/live a happy family life !

June 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  120. Mike

Seems to me that the label "intolerant" gets put on anyone who says "no" to something. If you want to be seen as tolerant do you have to say "yes" to whatever people say?

June 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  121. LR

Oooops! Got into the sixth-grade forum by mistake.

June 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  122. sassypants

She is probably perfectly fine with the government telling us that we have to buy health insurance, pay for our neighbors insurance or eat vegetables. Defining marriage between a man and woman does not tell people who or how to love. It is not a divine right for two men and two women to be married. The government does not dictate what is divine, God does.

June 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  123. Shane

I cannot wait until Charlize comes out of the closet. My gaydar is ringing loudly for this one. Charlize, the more gay people come out, the more people start accepting us. Please consider that. It's a brave thing to do, especially if you're a celebrity, but nothing will ever change if we don't stand up and be proud of who we are.

June 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  124. Sergio Xcaliber

I like everything she had to say. She came real with it and I wish I had the opportunity to meet her.

June 30, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  125. John

Marriage was created by God, and God was created by people, therefore marriage was created by people. Believe what you want, but don't try to force the rest of us to live by YOUR beliefs.

June 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  126. Ross

I wonder how you "know" god created marriage? I wonder – how do you know there even "is" a god.

When you can prove the above – come back and let us know!

June 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  127. Billy

@John => Your comments explain what is wrong with the World. "Man Created God"... Unbelievable and you have audacity to post it to Internet.

June 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  128. YBP

There are no gods. Gods went out of style about three hundred years ago. It was called The Enlightenment.

June 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  129. John

@Billy – You have absolutely no verifiable prrof of the existence of a god. The bible was written by man. The "existence" of god has been used over the centuries to explain the unexplainable, at best.... and to control populations at worst. In both cases, it is a belief, not a fact.

You can believe what you want, but you'd still be wrong.

June 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  130. Leslie

Ross – some of us choose to have faith; that's how we know there is a God. If you choose not to have faith – that's your choice and you live with the outcomes of that choice. If you think we're wrong and living in ignorance, that's our choice and we live with the outcomes of that choice. If it makes us happy to have faith – fine. If it makes you unhappy, and you think we're stupid – then so be it... to each his own. We are not required to believe in gay "marriage" anymore than you are required to believe in God.

June 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  131. Leslie

"You can believe what you want, but you'd still be wrong." So – those who believe in gay marriage can believe what they want, but they're still wrong - do I have it right John?

Ah yes, the good old double-standard. Ya gotta love it!

June 29, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  132. John

@Leslie – You make good points, but nobody is asking you to believe in gay marriage. I don't believe in religion, but I would not try to stop people from believing by trying to pass a law that would prohibit religion. Why do you and others (mostly religious) feel that they need to stop gays from getting married simply because they don't believe in it? It sounds a bit like hypocrisy to me.

June 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  133. gimmeabreak

To be fair, ALL "marriages" should be civil unions. If some people then want to have a church ceremony, they can knock themselves out. It's the legal rights and protections that gays want more so than the ceremony. Any fool can have a ceremony.

June 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  134. funnyme

Everyone has different beliefs. You cannot deny that. Just because someone doesnt believe what you believe doesnt make them a bad person. As far as god is concerned, everyone has their own beliefs. If god made marriage then didnt he also create divorce? Computer? Cars? Drivers licenses? I think not! If one is happy not being married thats ok, it saves her from a potential ugly divorce. Some people are not meant for marriage and/or kids.

June 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  135. John

@gimmeabreak – Very true. I just don't agree with religious fanatics that want to legislate based on their religion. That's no different than what the Taliban wants to do, except here i is christians trying to do it. It's wrong when the Taliban does it and it's wrong when catholics do it, period. Believe what you want, but keep your religion personal..... son't go passing laws to make people follow your religion.

June 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  136. Daniel

I agree. The only issue I have with the concept is calling it a 'marriage'. A marriage is a specific type of union and has been understood to be between a man and a woman. What is wrong with allowing others to have a 'Civil Union' with all the same legal protections and restrictions (i.e. age, etc.) but without calling it a 'Marriage'? Can this not be the compromise position? One of my sisters is gay and she and her partner have been together for over 10 years now. They don't see the big deal either with it having to be called a 'marriage'. *shrug* Compromise sometimes ya' know?

June 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  137. Sean

Marriage is as old as written history. Christianity is not.

June 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  138. Michelle

Man created marriage, not God. Have you ever seen God perform a marraige ceremony? No; humans do that.
    The bible was written by humans; not God. Have you seen God with paper and pen in his hand or at a printing press?

God created ours and probably countless other universes, but after that humans created all non-natural things on this planet.

June 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  139. gps137

Strange, marriage predates recorded history yet Christianity spawned in only the last couple thousand years. Clearly, this separation of Christianity and marriage is the work of atheist time-travelling liberals biasing facts again.
    (/snark)

June 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  140. karlotious

GOD was created by man....just like everything else.... Start using your intelligence instead of faith...One has produced technology and improvement in man...the other leads to oppression and idiots...

June 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  141. Dave

I'd like to second John, all around. Funny, I don't normally comment on stories, much less this type of thing, but if the religious folks would not try to impact others, we'd all be fine with it. Sure, believe what YOU want to believe if it makes you get by, but don't impact others' lives with your beliefs. That's where problems arise...and frankly, is the root of many world problems. Marriage should be about two loving people wanting to make lives together...or as was stated, it should all be civil unions and "marriage" can be a strictly religious deal and have NO impact on anything else in life. Bottom line: believe in a god (or gods if you prefer ancient mythology to current), but please don't impact others or govern by it.

June 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  142. Veronica

The term "marriage" began thousands of years ago as a contract between 2 men, usually landowners or traders for transactions that included the transfer of ownership of a female. At the time, women were treated as possessions, same as livestock, equipment and land. Over time, individuals with religious beliefs asked for a blessing or approval of their contract, making an offering in return for the approval. This is where the notion that "god" was involved began.

June 29, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  143. Billy Williamson

Divorce was created by God. Starvation was created by God. Child molesters and murderers were created by God. Hitler was created by God. Death and sadness were created by god. HIV was created by God. Cancer was created by God. Yet God was created by man.

June 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  144. Charlie

Well god created gay people as well. Are you saying that one of god's creations cannot enjoy another one of his/her/it/if one exists creations?

June 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  145. Mama2KOA

marriage was created as a way to barter young men and women in order to gain control of property or create wealth.

June 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  146. k

You do realize that allowing has no effect on your marriage right. As a religious man, I could care less if you call it marriage, civil union, argle-bargle-gluff. Just do it. At a legal level it needs to be allowed. That doesn't mean your religion needs to as well. Separate the two because they're completely unrelated.

June 29, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  147. Jean Sartre

WRONG AGAIN!

MAN created GOD... then MAN created BOOKS telling us what GOD wanted, demanded us to do, so MAN could CONTROL other MEN...

UNDERSTAND?

June 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  148. Joel

You say that with such authority. I am almost convinced that you are an expert on the topic and have weighed out the pros and cons on both sides. When I say almost, did you catch the truth behind what I meant? You say "period" like it is up to you- which by a majority, it is.... I hope you don't have to endure restrictions placed upon you when you are a minority.... and if you keep pushing for religion to rule the world, which this is a religious issue more than any other, you might just get your way one day... in the form of Sharia law. Enjoy!

June 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  149. Billy

@Joel: I can understand your frustration. Kind of No Way Out for you!! And by the way it is just not RELIGIOUS, it is more CULTURAL. Not many people goto Church these days or believe in Gods but everybody has a Culture and a Celebration of Life when a Man and Woman are united in Matrimony. And giving an opinion to stay Single or the Gays or Lesbians usage of Marriage and setting it up as a SOCIETY STANDARD is ruining this historic and logical setup of our CULTURE. Even without Religion what you propose is, Logically Speaking, Nonsense for the Society !!

June 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  150. Matt

@Billy: "Not many people go to Church these days or believe in Gods". All credibility was lost after you typed that

June 29, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  151. Wzrd1

Billy, to follow your logic, the family is a UNIT of society. In that reference, the unit being a part of society.
    So, to extend your theory, widows, widowers, singles, children are all not members of society, as they have no unit or place.
    Yet, those non-units vote, pay taxes and laugh at your lunacy.
    Now, your penance is to read the fourteenth amendment and then the ninth amendment.

June 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  152. Kevin H

Courts, logic and practice have held that a narrow definition of family really has never been realistic. Don't believe me – please don't. Instead look at the census records from 1850 onward – ones prior to that often didn't have enough detail to tell you what I'm going to tell you know. The nuclear family, the concept that DOMA and evangelicals love to beat the tom-tom about – NEVER existed. Never. It just never has. THe majority of Americans since the beginning of our country have consisted of extended families, families of choice and so on. Reality was that people moved away from their families for various economic reasons. Men often committed bigamy and other "sins" which are again perfectly evident in public records for the time. Rockefeller, a HUGE Baptist evangelical, came from a very fractured, broken home. Narrowly defining family as one man, women women and the ability to have children has no relationship to anything bu religious beliefs. And when you start to tell me what to believe – I'll start to tell you what to believe – and then we're going to have huge problems. That's one reason America came into being – someone thought they could and should tell people what to believe.

June 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  153. Zeke

@ Billy. Is your first name Hill???

June 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  154. Ruth

I am always looking for proof that gay marriage will cause something bad to happen too. Let me see... we don't have gay marriage rights and they are still gay, and still in their relationships. WHAT exactly is going to change if we legalize gay marriage... mmm... lots of marriage license fees collected by their respective counties, married filing jointly on income tax benefits the US Government... More people with health care instead of racking up unpaid bills to hospitals which end up being passed on those with health care... oh wait...those are good things, right?

June 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  155. Wzrd1

Ruth! You are mixing up the issues with silly little things like FACTS! We can't have that when we can retain vitriol and hyperbole!
    Besides, the vitriol and hyperbole spewers are fun to toy with.

June 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  156. junglepilot

Most of the New Testament was written in Greek. So before you tell others to get their facts straight, you should probably do so yourself.

June 29, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  157. Terri

I agree with you, BJ. I have a very religious friend who is totally against gay marriage. She's been married twice: once for 8 years and one for 3 years. One gay couple I know has been together for 13 years and another 20 years. So who is actually contributing to the instability of marriage?

June 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  158. Melisa

"karlotious
    agreed polly, the only thing i can hope for is the day the older generation dies and the younger more intelligent, more understanding, less bigoted generation takes over...what a day that will be... The day is coming with or without the support of old geezers.... accept it
    grandpa."

Waiting for the day a generation dies? Wow! Sounds pretty socio and/or psychopathic to me. Believe it or not, there are gay senior citizens! That means the "grandpa" you're telling to accept thing could be gay! Your generation isn't the only one to be able to use their brains, and the older generation isn't the only one with bigots in it. Try using yours!

June 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  159. Trey

Karltious, you are one sad individual. You disgusting pig, "wanting the old generation to die". Yeah, real intelligent you fool. There are bigots in this generation and there are morons in this generation. Just look at yourself.

June 29, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  160. Matt

thank you melissa for taking the obvious route. In case you don't realize: the older you are the more likely you are to be against gay marriage. It has nothing to do with them as individuals (thank you for pointing out that yes there are gay senior citizens), but as a group because of the culture they grew up in. Now the elderly are also the most prolific voters, so it stands to reason that when they are gone all those votes being cast against gay marriage will disappear. This isn't some fantasy or idle dream of karl... it is actually just common sense. And if you so happen to support gay marriage, then yes the day that all those anti-gay votes are gone can seem like a good thing. If however, those elderly decided to change their minds and vote the other way it would be a moot point. Nobody is wishing for the death of anyone, just the day that people are allowed to love who they want to. For anyone who believes in a smaller government it should be a no-brainer

June 29, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  161. Jim

I agree....What "divine right" is Miss Theron speaking of. I must have missed the Bible passage about women marrying women, and men marrying men....hmmmm, well anyway....it doesn't matter that Charlize Theron thinks....being an Actress really doesnt give her much more insight that say....a garbage collector !

June 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  162. MindiK

Why do you link "divine right" with the bible? There are more religions out there than Christianity. And even Christianity is open to one's own interpretation. Not to mention the bible has been translated and edited more than Joan Rivers face.! Who knows what it originally looked like!

June 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  163. montyross

it is the "older generation' that got us this far, funny you did not commend them for their stance on abortion which they allowed,im sure you are for abortion it seems to go hand and hand with gay rights yet you shut youre eyes to rights of the unborn, my country is in for ruin if youre kind truly take over.......

June 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  164. Carol

Well spoken, Polly. Whatever happend to treating others as you would like to be treated yourself?

June 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  165. Carol

Whoa, Matt. I'm not a senior, but am heading in that direction (as you are) and I don't vote for closed minded politicians. Why can't we just let others be happy and worry about the real issues, gay marriage shouldn't be an issue. The government should stay out of our private lives.

June 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  166. Jessica

"the bible has been translated and edited more than Joan Rivers face.!"

MindiK, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long while! Thank you for that!

June 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  167. Billy P.

I can see the harvest is plentiful of non-believers. The Devil will have plenty of company. All of you idiots, and the Bible calls you fools (those who directly deny there is no God in your hearts) will share the same date. Your non belief will not protect you from His absolute justice. I pray for your sake that you are smart enough not to be so damn dumb. He will forgive your sheer ignorance.

June 29, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  168. PirateScott

The Divine Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is in full support of universal access to marriage. So unless you want the government (and therefore popular vote) to decide what religion(s) is(are) Divine, then bring it on.

If you think that the church you belong to universally agrees with all other churches then you might want to start investigation the differences between denominations, they can be severe. Although to be honest, a large number of dogmatic concepts of FSM differ from christian denominations. Most notably regarding pasta and pirates.

June 29, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  169. PirateScott

I can capitulate on this one. The government can stop any involvement in marriage. No special rights for married couples regarding inheritance, taxes, visitation, adoption, etcetera. The government should dissolve all marriages from a legal standpoint. Any religious group can create the appropriate divine bond between whoever they choose to.

What I am concerned about is the government's legal enforcement of the mainstream christian definition of marriage.

June 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply