Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 5th, 2011

Alan Dershowitz says prosecution in Casey Anthony trial used "junk science" to try to convict her

On "Piers Morgan Tonight" this evening, a panel of experts weighed in on the Casey Anthony verdict from this afternoon. In the clip above, three different points of view: from lawyer Alan Dershowitz, journalist Aphrodite Jones and forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs. "To say that they found her innocent, Piers, I beg to differ, they found her not guilty," Jones told Piers Morgan.

But Dershowitz had another take. "The jury very reasonably had a doubt," he said. "The prosecution over-tried the case, they introduced absurd evidence...Even had there been a conviction, probably would have been reversed on appeal, based on the junk science." Reichs said it was "fringe science."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Maritza M.

This is another case where the system has failed the victim. The justice system is not for the victim
    It's for the murderers and the criminals. We have a broken system that needs to be fixed. As a mother I feel that Casey needs to answer for her daughters murder.

July 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • yolanda

Piers, you are a nice guy and I like you. I have never blog or twitter or facebook. But I must repectfully say You are not from america and you don.t think like us..

July 6, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Carly

I'm from the UK and the suggestion that 'we don't think like you', is absurd. I'm sorry but this is not a multi-cultural situation if it had happened in the UK the charges would have not been as severe as the prosecution in this case. We do not have the death penalty but save that argument for another day. Casey Anthony, IS A BAD MOTHER. She should be locked up, we will never know what happened to that little girl and as a mother myself, Piers was bang on with his assessment 'What mother does not phone the police for 31 days?' Ask any parent in any part of the world and their answer would be the same as mine, you would be frantic with worry after the first hour let alone 31 days.... What the hell has it got to do with being from America???? Does that mean that all American's can get away with murder/accidental death??? I do not understand where you point to this comment is? American or not American life is what it is, It does not matter where you are from to know that wrong is wrong and right is right!

July 6, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • American Lawyer

I am a huge fan of Piers Morgan and watch the show religiously every night. However, as a lawyer, I was totally disappointed with both the questions and the comments by Piers on the show last night. First, I agree with Alan Dershowitz's comment that the American legal system is not designed to seek justice. (While I realize that makes your "blood boil," Piers, true justice is not dispensed by man anyway.) We, as a democratic society, have placed a premium on ensuring that convictions are based on admissible evidence that convinces a random group of citizens beyond a reasonable doubt that a particular legal standard was violated. If you don't like the system, then criticize the system and explain how any other system is better. But our legal system is based on values that are inherent in American culture. (So, Carly, no one is disagreeing that we in America think that Casey Anthony is a bad mother.) Indeed, Casey was indescribably awful. I am, as I am sure others are as well, mortified that a woman can bring a child into this world and then treat the child in the manner that Casey treated Caley. And perhaps she even committed the crime for which she was accused. But I assume you were not in that courtroom and did not hear the evidence presented by the prosecution. The lead prosecutor himself admitted that there was a lack of physical evidence that made obtaining a conviction for Murder 1 difficult. The reason for our judicial system and the bedrock principle of "innocent until proven guilty" is to avoid precisely what people like Carly are doing right now - rush to judgment. Admittedly, the American legal system is not perfect; in fact, far from it. But it's the only system we have and it's based on principles that are the foundation of American society (e.g., due process).

Second, I had a real problem with Piers's comment about cameras in the courtroom resembling reality t.v. Another bedrock principle of American society is the First Amendment and freedom of speech. Access to courtrooms and public disclosure of legal proceedings permits scrutiny of the system. We are all about checks and balances. Allowing cameras in the courtroom is simply another medium by which legal proceedings are made public and t.v.s simply allow access to a greater population. Now, if Piers's concern is sensationalizing the story, that is a different issue in my opinion. Again, you have to be careful because you don't want to regulate editorial comment necessarily, but simply banning courtroom t.v.s does not seem like the best response.

Overall, Piers, that was the worst of your shows since you began hosting this program. The comments were superficial and the reaction and rush to judgment mentality was uneducated in my opinion.

July 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott

The system didn't fail; the system worked perfectly. You can't convict someone of a crime if you can't prove they committed the crime. We all believe that Casey either committed murder, or knows exactly what happened, but no evidence was submitted that could prove she did anything. It was the prosecution that failed, not the system.

July 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Steve

Great interviews, Piers. Your guests failed to clearly respond to your comment that Casey was a catastrophic mom. She was not charged with that count, but if she had been, I'm telling you that 10's of thousands of moms in this country would be incarcerated (and it's no different in England). You and I are just fortunate that we did not have that experience growing up.

July 5, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • American Lawyer

Really? Great interviews? The reason the guests didn't respond to that is because no one in their right mind would think anything contrary on Casey's mothering. The guests were legal experts brought on the dhow to discuss their views on whether the verdict was accurate in their opinion and, as a result, whether the legal system failed. By focusing his questions on "mothering" in connection to the verdict, Piers Morgan only exacerbated the very problem of which he was complaining- namely, the sensationalizing of the story rather than fostering an educated discussion.

July 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jonathan Akeme

Proof for murder trials anywhere in the world is a proof beyond reasonable doubt. Any shreds of doubt must be resolved in favour of the accused.This may have been the case in Casey Anthony's trial.

July 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rich

Hey Pierce! Can I find you on radio? Because I find it useless to have cameras in your studio!

July 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aditi

This is a spot on and hilarious comment.

July 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ashley Overton

The jurors did their job. We must realize that the prosecution did not do an adequate job of proving the who/what/where/why/how in this case. To issue a verdict of guilty for a death penalty case, I would have to be certain of every aspect of the case. Casey could certainly be convicted of is being a catastrophic mom and a LIAR. And although myself and most of America believe that Casey had SOMETHING to do with it, we must not dwell on our hatred for Casey, but rather the memory of Caylee.

July 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • realistic

I so agree with you. The prosecution didn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I do believe the defendant knows what happened. But I cannot agree with the public that it is a miscarriage of justice. I am sure and positive that the jury feels and knows that it was a decision they had to make. That's why they wouldn't speak about it. Do I think she's guilty of something? yes. But that's not enough. I would just wish that the public would understand that the law is the law and it is not an injustice or abuse of the law. The law was followed. It should be respected. I would love to ask anyone of those people to be accused of some crime. Wouldn't they want to be defended to full extent of defense? There was reasonable doubt.

July 6, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • realistic

I would also like to add that I would rather have this justice system over anything other in the world. Let's break it down. You are accused of a crime. Your defense could be provided for you free of charge. The burden of proof is on "your side" it's up to the state to prove "you" did it. In any other country that doesn't happen. This is so huge because of the media and everyone's emotions and "two cents". What everyone who is emotionally charged is forgetting is the legal system is blind in the sense that it follows the law. What will be a shame out of this is if the media continues and Casey Anthony sells her story and becomes a celebrity. What I am afraid of and sure of is the same news media that were against her will be fighting and clawing and willing to pay good money to get interviews with the same person that they the media scorned.

July 6, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
      • realistic

As much as the Prosecution was fighting to prove guilt to an accused the defense is doing the same to defend their client without the purden of proof. I will continuously ask anyone, "if "YOU" were accused of a crime, wouldn't you want a good defense. Even if you were guilty or not? So, Please, do not get mad at the defense or the jury. They were just doing their job. I AM IN NO WAY SUPPORTING CASEY ANTHONY. I AM ONLY SUPPORTING THE LAW.

July 6, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Jantima

It seems like everyone is msniisg the point being to show' the jury that the tape's height (and length perhaps) is enough to cover the child's airways. That's all. Nothing more. It's not meant to prove murder'. It's not meant to prove who the murderer is' ..etc .If those assumptions had in any way been insinuated, the honorable judge perry would not have allowed the video. But it was made very clear that the video was for nothing more than showing the measure of the tape in front of the measure of the face and skull.I would have done it the old fashioned way .take out the actual skull, put the actual tape up there, pass it around to the jury .let them touch it, smell it, see it .and get ear plugs when Baez started screaming prejudicial! and inflamatory!

April 5, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joe G. (Illinois)

America is like a 24/7 fast food restaurant.
    And do I really need to be graphic with an analogy about what keeps the customers coming and coming all the time? Or on what they come to feast on?! I think not!

Fact is that, just like America is a fast food restaurant nation, were people don't need to know what's in their greasy burgers, or tacos, so the rest.. Basically, the only thing that counts is that the people are satisfied.

July 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zilya

Cindy lied about Gentiva. I have worked for them on a Consultant Basis to pprraee them for Joint Commission Accreditation surveys. Gentiva’s internal computer system (INTRANET) allowed full access to all parts of the Internet as well as their internal proprietary files. Gentiva’s policies and procedures require that all passwords are recorded by IT. Monthly an IT specialist meets with every employee and is present for the changing of ALL passwords. Gentiva also does have all records & emails going back 3 yrs. It is a requirement for accreditation. The Joint Commission does NOT have separate accreditation for each Gentiva property –their accreditation is for the whole company and every branch in every state. Further, the employee time sheets definitely will state if she left early on some day. She was an exempt employee and would still be required to use PTO or sick/vacation time if she left early more than an hour early.I wonder if Cindy is aware that every time that she logged onto or off of her Gentiva work computer that by keystroke it was identified as her (by her password) and that the Corporate Headquarters in Atlanta of Gentiva have all of these records. Hmmm.With Cindy mentioning the check fraud charges, will that make it available for the state to bring up the felony convictions? The SA's need to ask Cindy, Have you ever deleted the internet history? or Can you explain how to delete the internet history?

April 3, 2012 at 2:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ikmal

I am disgusted.You can kill your kid all you want. You can then peetrnd a dead, drowned baby crawled out of the pool and duct taped herself up and stashed her then (more)dead body somewhere. Let's not forget the trunk of the car and the maggots that just magically appeared. But yeah, it's a no-no to lie to the police.Everyone learn their lesson here today?

April 5, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. voice of one

One of your so-call legal experts are running on emotions and they feel the the verdict had down was wrong and Thank God it not the media that hands out verdicts on cases All you would need is some of these no nothing lawyer, Tell people what they should and should not think there is to much of that going on in the media, Stop speculating on thing you know nothing about. This lawyer want this girl head on a stick, Where are we going as a country

July 6, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sid C

Your guests are somewhat bizarre – especially the ever-so-hysteric Aphrodite Jones. I agree with Dershowitz' assessment of the US legal system. It is a system chosen by the people who must accept the results of the jury system because without that acceptance, the system will collapse. One of the issues here, just as it has happened in the past, is that the public with great assistance from the media, pre-judged the case based on expertise garnered from their favourite tv shows. Now there is disappointment in the result. Shame on the media and some members of the public for their sanctimonious and ill-informed judgements.

July 6, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Allisson

Mr. Hornsby, I was wondering about a few tihgns. Baez continually violates court orders and does tihgns that make me feel as though he is either trying to A. get a mistrial, or B. get himself disbarred, which to my understanding if he gets disbarred as a result of this case that would just about assure Casey an appeal. Can Baez continue to break all the rules and really have everything and everyone right where he wants them, because he knows if he gets in serious trouble it will be better for Casey? I hope you have the time to answer that and I thank you in advance. This bothers me as I really feel that Baez is purposefully playing these games with the expectation of either getting away with his bad behaviors or making tihgns better for his client. In other words, like he feels he's got himself in a win, win situation. If this could be true, it is really not right.I'm not an attorney, therefore I'm not sure of the answer here. Thanks again.

April 3, 2012 at 2:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. J Stephens

Aphrodite Jones is far from being one of the top legal minds in America, as you said in your intro.. She is a reporter , nothing more. Lets not start a 2nd Nancy grace show.

July 6, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. B Langrell

Mr. Morgan if you do not like our Justice system please go back to England. We had a war to get away from England's justice system.

July 6, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nani

The Justice system in the US is a joke. Just look at all the clowns wanting to be covered my the media and all wannabee judges like Nancy Grace who needs psychiatric help.

July 6, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • B Langrell

I'll take the system anyday of the week. You can go to England with Mr. Morgan. Nancy Grace is the joke. I;m watching her right now, waiting to see her blow a head gasket.

July 6, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Yolanda

told you i've never done this before.

July 6, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • FRANCISCA

I suppose I could pose isuetqons about your article, but since it's so clear I guess I'll just make a comment. I think this information is well-written, useful and interesting.

March 5, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Nana Brown

Nancy Grace needs psychiatric help before she does something insane. She needs relax,take time off and enjoy her family.

July 6, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Milliner

Piers you just stated you're having a hard time finding a mother that doesn't absolutely hate Casey....well, you've found one. Of course my heart goes out to The Anthony's and for Caylee but the verdict was just because at the end of the day the prosecution dropped the ball. It simply is not enough these days to think she did it, suspect she did it, or believe she did it and expect the the jury to make a huge leap to guilty with no hard evidence. This thing was a Salem witch trial from before the beginning and the standard we all would want upheld if it were us has been preserved. It's a great day, the day after Independence Day, the essence of America at it's best. We don't know what happened, so why we trying to kill her or take her freedom? She deserves her freedom and I, from my heart, wish her the best.

July 6, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mihcael Holdaway

I am so sick of Pierce's personal negative opinion on American culture and now the American judicial system. How dare you bite the hand that feeds you Sir Morgan. you really have gone too far this time. Who ever told you that you were to give your personal opinion? Arent you supposed to create a forum where your experts can give their opinions ? Do you really think that we care what you think?
      Think again.... your boring and uninteresting.....
      thanks
      M

July 6, 2011 at 4:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • realistic

I agree with you. The burden of proof was not there. You are extremely emotionally tied into this. Why are you so angry about Piers Morgan? Are you as equally angry about some of the other reporters on HLN who were or weren't drinking the "kool-aid" who after the verdict went down and said they weren't suprised? If you want to get mad about reporting get mad at the whole media. You were watching it, that's what stoked you so hard. Other than that, next time you are supoenaed to sit on a jury don;t make excuses why you can't. SIT IN THAT JURY BOX, FOLLOW THE LAW, MAKE A DECESION. THEN AND ONLY THEN CAN YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. I am tired of people emotionally charged about this. IIT WAS NOT BLIND JUSTICE. IT WAS A FAIR TRIAL. I AM NOT FOR CASEY ANTHONY. THE STATE DID NOT PROVE THE CASE. BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT.
      I'm sorry if it sounds like I am attacking you personally. I am not. You made a comment. I responded. Hope you understand.

July 6, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Marlene

Casey was smart enough to leave no dna or fingerprints linking her to Caley's body, but she was dumb enough to leave the body close to their home and use bags and tape from their home pointing directly at herself. This sounds like someone is trying to point the finger right at Casey. Who better to do this but an ex-police officer! George didn't seem very happy with the verdict.

July 6, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. jim s

the jury was made of of total idiots.....people in america are getting more like sheep all the time...can't figure out any situation by thinking...these idiots were too stupid...also gutless, ran and hid...they will be found....and dealt with!!!!

July 6, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. George S

I can not understand how this guy was able to go ON and ON about "How come she didn't contact the police for 31 days when her child was missing?"

How none of his guests put the story straight to him is also beyond me.

Piers She didn't call, because Calley was never missing. She was dead. Casey knew she was dead. That was her defense. That Calley drowned in an accident. Therefore, she didn't call the police because Calley was not missing. Calley was NEVER MISSING.

Do you know anything about the trial? Because not knowing this piece of information is like having your head stuck up your ass for the entire trial, and then having an opinion on something you know nothing about.

July 6, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Maggie M

They failed to charge her with not reporting her child's death and wasting everyone's time. The jury made the only choice they could make with the lacking evidence they had. They followed our American system correctly. Unfortunely, the truth will never be known only to the public and the Anthony family will have to live with their choices.

July 6, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Callen D'Angelo

Perhaps America should not be ashamed of their judicial system, the jurors or the verdict; Maybe they should be more embarrassed by the hatred, revenge and racism pouring out of their computers and posts to the media. Leave the jurors alone. They did their job and they made the correct decision based on the lack of evidence and lack of ability to verify when, where and how the incident took place. You can't even validate that a homicide even took place and this whole nation is prepared to kill Casey Anthony. Although known to be a liar, and certainly to not grieve in a way consistent with most, we don't know what is in the defendant's past. The prosecution failed to make their case. Please don't tell me that you all know who did it when there is not one piece of solid evidence to validate the time, location and most importantly the cause of death of this child. Why is it so difficult to accept that the system worked in the exact fashion it was designed to function when "innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt" was implemented? I personally commend the jury for making the difficult but certainly correct decision. Though an unpopular decision, you did your job and fulfilled your civic duty to the highest standard!!

July 6, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. RudyG

Piers:
    You asked the wrong question in my opinion. On your show last night regarding Casey Anthony you asked if having cameras in the courtroom is a good idea. The cameras are not the problem; the problem is the talking heads making money off the sensationalizing and premature convicting. They are the modern day equivalent of the old lynch mobs who hanged suspects from trees before they could get a fair trial!! To be given access is one thing. But, to be given the constant bias and editorializing without knowing all the facts is ignorance and propaganda. And THAT'S dangerous. How would you like to live in this country after going through character assassination like the talking heads enjoy? In my opinion unaccountable, irresponsible press CAN destroy our freedom.
    Rudy Gonzalez
    Miami

July 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willian

Glad ya started these blogs. I'm ohatner one of Murphy's youngerns playing the banjo. I thought the computer was gonna cut out some of my playing but this'll correct this I guess. Combine em!! See youall!!

April 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Namedelaware*barbara

No the defense used false accusations!

July 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. LMC

C. Cant get justice
    A. Always wonder why
    Y. Ya know all of you lied
    L. Liars every single one of you
    E. Everyone that lied will be denied
    E. Eternity

P.S. –
    Caylee lives with Jesus...
    Where In "Hell" will casey live?????

P.S.S. –
    Preaty is as pretty does,
    If casey Anthony is peoples idea of pretty,
    Then pretty is pretty ugly isn't it!

A REAL Mother Of A Deceased Daughter

July 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gary

You need to get out more. Clearly you have way too much time to waiste.

July 8, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse | Reply