Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 12th, 2011

Billy Ray Cyrus on new album: "Our way of saying thank you to the families and men and women of the service"

Piers Morgan interviews Billy Ray Cyrus tonight for the hour, and the revealing interview touches on Miley Cyrus, Cyrus' career and more. After the interview, we caught up with Cyrus in the green room for a Q&A. "What a gentleman," he said of Piers. "I'm a fan of Piers, and I'm even a bigger fan now...It's not always that way."

Also discussed – Cyrus' new album and his new TV show, which premiered last night:

"This was our way of saying thank you to the families and the men and women of the service," said Cyrus of his album, "I'm American," which features guests like Amy Grant and Darryl Worley. Of his new TLC TV show, "Surprise Homecoming," Cyrus said, "Seeing them come home, that's what I really enjoyed most about doing the show."

Also discussed during the interview is the work Cyrus is doing for DRIVE4COPD. Here's some information:

The DRIVE4COPD national public health initiative today announced that it is partnering with the Country Music Association (CMA) to launch the Tune Up for COPD Songwriting Competition, featuring country music stars Billy Ray Cyrus and Patty Loveless. The competition challenges Americans to create a new DRIVE4COPD song to help raise awareness of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Watch the full interview tonight, 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Green Room
  1. carol casey

I love the new hair cut and color on Billy Ray..now if he woulld lose the spot under his lip.......he looks so much younger now.........thanks

July 12, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Staci

Piers, I got to say, at first I thought Larry King was being bitter. You have certainly proved him to be kind of accurate. You are BY FAR a rude host. You are constantly interrupting your guests. Its like you're either incapable of listening or your just inconsiderate. I would probably say its a combination of a little both.
    Here's a tip, when you ask a question allow the guests to actually answer instead of interrupting only to ask another question. You NEED to recognize when you have a guests that actually wants to answer the question you should let them do that. Save all that interrupting when you have a guests who only answers in one or two words. THAT's when you want to keep the questions coming.
    If you read nothing else, please please please STOP being RUDE and allow people to actually answer the question.
    WHEW! I feel so much better, having been able to get that out.

July 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nana

With your knolage why are you not hosting on CNN ? Pierce is doing a great job. You need to move on with time. Lovely to see a fresh new face on TV who is handsome, young and very bright.

July 12, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • genoria

I agree with you 100%!

October 26, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • missycat

Wow!! Quite the expert when it comes to journalistic interviewing skills!! Wonder why they didn't just go ahead and give you the job when Larry left. Just Kidding hahahahaha!
      Seriously, Piers, I always admired Larry and liked watching his show, but I hafta say I think your doing a great job....its a pleasure to watch your show and I think your good at asking hard hitting questions. Too bad Billy Ray wasn't to good at being straighforward with you. Most boring bs interview i've seen in a long time. He never really answered a question, especially when it came to his daughter. I think he's ridiculously terrified of speaking about her publicly and addressing the "incidents" she's gotten herself into. She's made some poor decisions–period. BR couldn't call her out-I see who has the power in that relationship....

July 18, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lyndia Snyder

Was Billy Ray Cyrus's biological father from New York State?

July 13, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Suzette

May people love and admire Billy Ray Cyrus. We want to hear about him and not a bunch of questions about his daughter. If you want to find out about her, ask her on as a guest. Let's hear more about Billy Ray Cyrus, his music and his thoughts – now while we've got him here.

July 13, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Damon

Piers: I think its ironic how you ask hard questions of your more heady guests but let Billy Ray and the like off with softballs. I dont see the point of such an interview other than pure publicity for your guest. You have an obligation to your viewers to conduct an interview that provides more than that. Larry King had the nerve to ask the hard questions and I believe you should do the same.

July 13, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. BackwoodsPhilosopher

Did Billy Ray take a puff on a special cigarette tonight before the interview? That was about as incoherent as it could be. I kept waiting for him to form a complete sentence. Something's wrong in paradise. He sounded strangely distant when referring to his family and showed more emotion when talking about the troops. So many celebrities have such a vacancy in their spirit. It's almost as though they're not there.

July 13, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • missycat

Sooooooo true!! i commented on this wall about it--maybe he should go into politics--I heard words coming out of his mouth.....he didn't really SAY anything!! Snooozeville!!

July 18, 2011 at 4:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. IndiLyndi

Piers...I have to agree with the above post and say you interupt now nearly as much as Larry King did. His asking questions that he never waited for the answer to was tha main reason I never watched him. You're now in that catagory...an interviewer who wastes lots of the hour interrupting instead of listening.

And I gotta ask you why you're silent on the Murdoch scandal? How many phones did you hack in you years as his employee? How many familes did spy on? Any murdered girls or terror victims?

July 13, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. deangelo

Bath salts derive their name from their appearance, coming in power and crystal form similar to salts intended for a bath. However, instead of dissolving them in warm water, people are typically snorting, injecting or smoking them, thereby using them as recreational drugs. http://bit.ly/pYDOPn

July 21, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. hvac vacuum pumps

Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

April 2, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. dating psychos

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site. Studying this information So i am glad to exhibit that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot for sure will make sure to don?t disregard this website and give it a look regularly.

September 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply