Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 29th, 2011

Rep. Chaffetz takes on Sen. Reid: "A flashing red light that we might need some personnel changes"

Piers Morgan and Rep. Jason Chaffetz had a heated discussion about the current debate between the right and the left in Congress. "The fact that I voted against my own Speaker's bill demonstrates that i'm more committed to my principles and my country then I am about going along to get along," said Chaffetz, after Morgan brought up the non-stop "squabbling." "We are about to be in a crisis, they had this bill last week, and they should have at least debated it."

When Morgan brought up the fact that Sen. Harry Reid didn't say the actual name of the "Cut, Cap and Balance" plan, Chaffetz fired back. "He doesn't even know the name of the bill that we passed in the House," he said. "That ought to be a flashing red light that we might need some personnel changes over there in the Senate. That's an embarrassment."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. hitch

Piers, Forget the debt crisis. Why were the people making Papa John's pizza not wearing gloves? ewwwww

July 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Luda

Pierce, stay out of the political arena, it is not your strength.
      Stick with your strength.... interviewing Celebs. Come on man you can't be everything to everybody.

July 30, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Lon Parsons

Thanks for your thoughts, I diapprove of Sopcialist British media types like Piers Morgan attacking the values of Chaffetz, who obviosly has the best interest of the majority of us at heart,... Piers Morgan is biased to protect the ?Denms, and shame on Harry /reid and the senate for not at least trying to discuss cut,cap & trade, which is far better than /Boehner's bill.. The U.K is in trouble becasue of just such Socialistc leanings as MR, Morgan.. Go back to Britain..
        Cuyt,cap & Trade should have been passed, and it would all have been resolved last week.. To majority satisfaction.. But not Obama or the Dems.. who need to be kikced out of office as fast as we can !

Sincerely,
        Lon Parsons, Tea-Party Patriot, Conservative Christian family man..

July 30, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
      • nomdeplume

Piers calls it as I see it....as I see it, so I am extremely glad and proud someone in the media isn't afraid to speak how he feels and thinks. This "politically correct" questioning of politicians needs to stop. Thank you Piers, for not backing down from these pat answers they give and thanks for calling them on their canned answers. You are one of the best! And I do agree, you're great w/the celebrities and I even enjoyed your broadcast of the Royal Wedding.

July 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. George

Piers, were the pizzas paid for with a government credit card or a personal card?

July 29, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rick

we the people R sick and tired ofA disfuntional goverment,when I vote ,it will not be to put any one back in office,sick and tired of the same o some o,PS quit acting like A bounch of kids and run this country.

July 30, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Melody

I agree with Rudy Giulliani wholeheartedly. I feel that Obama should step up and jack slap the whole group and tell them to grow up. Why can't everyone Just get along? I am beginning to dread being an American I use to be Proud. Fourth of July use to mean a lot to me. Now I don't recognize it. I won't as long as we as a nation don't stand unite. I feel what Obama has done has sent out dissention amonst the ranks and showed other countries how vunerable we are. Our boards aren't covered correctly as found out recently as the 33 Mexicans that crossed the Rio Bravo Bridge by their claim accidental. I feel it was feeling us out. To see our weakness.

Now fear to seniors, disabled, veterans, military and defaulting on loans. Pull ot Libya. We don't need to be there. Pull out all our men. What happened to 2010 withdrawn. Obama doesn't know how to run a country but does know how to spend. Not his money but ours....

July 30, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. MARCUS RANDOLPH

hey pierce im a 27 yr old and i watch the news on CNN all the time dang near everyday lol look you kept it real today ! you said the right thing , which is that the government is "politaclly postering" i can't agree no more ! i have to say that i have a daughter 1 month old , my first child at that i want to go back to college matter fact i enrolled and fafsa papers have been submitted , the question i have is ..... when and after they choose a right agreement or atleast a fair one... is it really gonna hold me or us for that matter i mean i feel the way the dems feel dont act all uppity handle the facts at hand an dhelp us not just politally poster around !
    by the way i want my daughter to have a fighting chance at schooling and all that so my words are

stop playing around and handle it !!!
    signed "the youngmind of tomorrow"

July 29, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Edna

I rarely write any opinion, but I must commend you today Piers for your straghtforwardness with your questions. I wonder why the news media has not been as strong about this until now. Piers please keep up this tone with both parties as you have. We don't need any more meek journalists...we need more Piers. And President Obama...please stop trying to please republicans. You will go nowhere. You need to be much stronger and stand up for your principals.

July 30, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • nomdeplume

Piers, I agree w/Edna completely and w/some of the other comments. You do keep it real and you have a gift for taking off their political masks with your questions and responses and exposing the sham & truth. I rarely comment but like Edna, had to let you know you've a lot of support amongst the silent majority.

July 31, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. zg76

"‘No!’ to any business as usual, status quo-empowering compromises to raise the debt ceiling." – Ron Paul, 07/28 Daily Caller

Get someone real on air!!

July 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sharon

Piers, you were brilliant tonight with Chaffetz. I am so pleased when you stand your ground and tell it like it is. It makes me feel like someone is not letting the BS'ers spin their ridiculous rhetoric into "truth." I really thank you for that! Keep speaking for me!

July 29, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

You better be careful where you walk – you obviously can't tell BS when you see it. Piers was so out of line not only with the facts but with his questioning of Chevettz' patriotism for standing for the principle and keeping the promise made to the people that elected him. Piers is not even a citizen of this country, was barely allowed in by immigration, and is apparently not really suited to intelligent, in-depth discussion. The same I suspect is true unfortunately for you

July 29, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Amy

Mike, well said. This interview was a very poor demonstration of "effective" journalism. I'm switching to FOX!

July 29, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • john

Chaffetz = Traitor

July 30, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Jackie

Piers, you were rude and wrong. If you are such a liberal, go back to your country because the only chance to save this one is to stop socialists like you. 2012 is approaching and then you'll understand who hard working Americans are! You sure do not speak for me. I think your interviewing style is unprofessional, who are you to treat your guests in that manner.....very rude and clearly another CNN puppet. Forget You, only Fox from now on!

July 30, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Darrell

Hey Piers....keep up the good work.....
    Ty for your most common sense and direct questions of the representatives this evening....they responded as usual.....the arrogance of politicians....is amazing to me....
    Looking in from outside the US...I can see appreciate the difficulty in getting compromise.....on this very sensitive subject.....
    But the rest of the world is at stake...and they seem oblivious.....

July 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol Calhoun

Piers, let 'em have it, you are the bomb! YOU should run for president! I wonder how long until protests in this country begin?

July 30, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Louise

First-time watcher. Where have you people been for the last X-number of year? Demos have had many opportunities to correct all the wrongs of present and past administrations. Dumbo Piers Morgan asked even dumber questions of the guy from Utah.

July 30, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Amy

Piers, please don't forget that you live in America now! If you want socialism, you'll have to return to England. Really? I see that your political views are very transparent.

July 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

We do look ignorant to the rest of the world! Its grand standing to look good for the future! And then Guiliana coming on talking about being the mayor of NY and what he would do! Please stop thinkning of two years from now but rather RIGHT NOW!!! I understand the need to "save face" with your party but at what cost to the country? It hurts us all and that is unacceptable!

July 30, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • john

guiliani is an ass

July 30, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. Valerie

Who created this debt crisis? President Clinton left a surplus that was spent by President Bush by giving corporate warefare to Oil companies @ a needless war in Iraq! We cannot fix the debt crisis on the backs of Seniors, Veterans, Children @ Disabled without the rich paying there fair share. Cut tax loop holes & oil subsidies to balance the budget, Everyone needs to make a sacrifice not just the disadvantaged but the who have,,!

July 29, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jim pielick

dear piers, I consider myself a fairly liberal Dem, but at this point I am totally fed up with both parties.if we avert this crisis I will vote independent next election.I am a federal WORKER .and I live paycheck to paycheck on a budget.but if my paycheck doesn't come Friday because of two out of touch with reality parties and I cant get my wife's heart meds I cant tell u the to the ends of the earth how far I will go to see every politician on capitol hill lose the crooked seats they cherish so much.I believe in a world of social equality.but we do need real reform to those social programs if u don't make an income u shouldn't get money back at the end of the year .republicans cant seem to want to tax the big corporations that donate to there campaigns and give them jobs. they use loop holes and excuses to take American tax dollars witch they stood in line for each bailout.. and then outsource the jobs they were supposed to create..democrats seem to love expanding all kinds of government without the means to pay for it, they want to pretend if we keep making the debt ceiling bigger that the debt will just disperse and fix itself. I guess my point is at what point do we start to realize that this system no longer works and needs to be replaced with term limits and no special interests money.I hope for the best but at this point all that comes to mind is the bible quote I remember ,a nation divided will always fall.. we the people outnumber the rich and politicians by a massive majority collapse our economy and see what happens your mansions will make great housing for the homless. ty jim pielick

July 29, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Mike

Piers: It is shameful that the patriotism of someone who making a stand on principal and the promise he made to the people that elected him to take that stand be questioned and doubted by someone who is not a citizen of this country, barely got in to it to chase the American dollar, and whose backgound is so obviously limited. Further, it shows the depths to which CNN will sink to try and gain some semblance of ratings. Whatever happened to honestly reporting the facts first.

July 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • john

his "stand on principle" is going to ruin us. He's a fool.

July 30, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Liberty

I tried to e-mail my representative but she didn't listen nor respond (Rep. Lynn Jenkins). I had to settle on tweeting. Here is something I insist Piers Morgan clearly state on his show immediately: When someone is supposed to pay 25% for taxes but uses loopholes to pay less than 5%, REMOVING loopholes ISN'T INCREASING TAXES (just holding the person/company responsible for the tax that is supposed to be paid); also, here's how a TAX INCREASE works: initially pay 25% in taxes but then ADD 10% to that 25% which equals 35% tax which is then a TAX INCREASE [it's basic math called "addition"]–assuming loopholes aren't used to subtract from the base tax.

Please, please, please Piers Morgan get this message out there so House Representatives that are holding our country, credit rating and interest rates hostage can be educated properly before cuts to Education are made and our country then becomes both poor and stupid.

July 29, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nell

You mean 'poorer' and 'even more' stupid.

July 30, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Kate

Piers, GREAT show tonight! You were asking tough questions and making our congressional leaders accountable for their actions/inactions in regards to this debt ceiling chaos. I loved it when you asked "who should resign"? I think ALL of them should resign if come August 2nd, this is not resolved. We have enough problems in this country without adding more stress to the middle class with a downgrade to our credit rating resulting in high interest rates, no payouts, and a downward spiral to the economy. We have NEVER defaulted on our debt and the failure to compromise speaks poorly for our leadership. You took a tough stance tonight and I commend you for this!

July 29, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. DEB TIDWELL

PIERS: PLEASE WATCH THIS CITIZEN'S VIEWV ON U-TUBE OF THE CURRENT DEBT CRISIS!!!

July 29, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Dave

Piers...I'm a new viewer and former fan of your show. I'm also a conservative that does not support tea party but tonight you have me retuning to FOX. I thought your interview w/ Jason Chaffetz was totally unfair. Twice he asked "why didn't the senate at lease discuss the cut, cap, balance bill". The perfect opportunity to to have a discussion from both points of view.
    You have previously been so good at that. I'm very, very disappointed in you!!!

July 29, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Barb

I thought I was watching Keith Obermann!!!! That was #1 on worst interview ever! C'mon Piers you are better than that!

July 29, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mateen

It's iprmaetive that more people make this exact point.

October 10, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • umamrrtmdm

P96nTj dbqtnifmdmpb

October 11, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Jerry

Love your show Piers!!

July 30, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. heidi

Pierce,
    Are you completely ignorant!! How can you come from another country and jump on the Obama band wagon??
    Obama has NO PLAN!!! NONE except to screw the country for his personal gain!! I would like to have YOU present obama's plan for the debt ceiling!!! Where is it?????? obama is an complete failure!!!!!!
    YOU should be ashamed for supporting that moron!!!!

July 30, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Observer

I thought your interview was the worst you have ever given!!! You were so totally biased and would not listen to a word Chaffetz had to say. I am soooo disappointed in you.

July 30, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Tyler

Piers was totally out of line. TOTALLY defending the idiot DEMS in the SENATE, that TABLED 3 BILLS from the House, and then you have the nerve to question this guy??? GET OFF THE AIR you PIECE OF PUTRID HUMAN FILTH.

YOU LIE! YOU PROPAGANDIZE, and you are just not very good. And your rating show just what a loser you are. CNN is sinking to new lows.

The TRUTH is that we are in debt and neither of these bills will work and neither will the Democrats bills. They are NOT EVEN CLOSE AND we will get downgraded on this as well.

Thanks for crooked politicians and corrupt and lying "journalists".

July 30, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • john

quit your whining and go back to fox noise

July 30, 2011 at 3:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. wayneinpd

Give both sides a hard time, but you need to be harder on the Dems – they are trying to have everything their way. No debt limit, no election issue, no responsibility for who gets paid if there is a shortfall, even though they have a way out by agreeing to GOP proposals.

July 30, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. heidi

Oh, I cannot watch your show for another minute!! Who do you think you are??? I suppose you are looking for a visit to the white house!!! How about, where is YOUR green card!!! DONE!!! I AM DONE WATCHING YOUR SHOW!!!!!!!
    YOU ARE NOT AN AMERICAN AND YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS TRYING TO REPRESENT THE POSITION OF AMERICAN'S!!! TIME FOR YOU TO GO BACK TO YOUR SOCIALISTIC SOCIETY – WE DON'T WANT IT HERE!!!!! GO HOME!!!!

July 30, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • john

STFU that interview was GREAT!!!

July 30, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. JH1

Wow Piers, that was right up there for 3rd worst interview ever behind Chris Wallace vs Clinton or Stewart and Nancy Grace vs anyone guilty until proven innocent. Chaffetz clearly laid out the work that he's done and his voting record specifically on raising the debt ceiling to exactly the amount the president asked for and you turn around and state to the next pundit that Chaffetz is blocking raising the debt ceiling. What kind of a hyped up bizarro world do you live in? Your past interviews were great and a huge improvement over Larry King but if you're going to turn into some raging, roughshod, irrational spin doctor I can only hope they relegate you to HLN to froth at the mouth with Grace instead of occupying your current time slot on CNN.

July 30, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Ken

Abe Lincoln financed the Civil War by having the government print it's own money and not borrowing. Why can't we just print the money we need now and pay our bills and while we are at it pay off our debt. Get rid of the Federal Reserve system that only benefits private investors.

July 30, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Michael

I can see from most of the comments I don't really need to say much more. Maybe you should consider moving to MSNBC. I really believe you would be much more appreciated by those viewers. Or, stick to interviewing celebs.
    I don't watch your show and I really sort of surfed into this interview but I have to say I was surprised at the partisianship you displayed. Pitiful!

July 30, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Cathy

Thank you Piers for calling Chaffetz on the carpet and making him look like the buffoon he is. I hope more people in Utah (like me) will see that "red light" and kick him out of office.

July 30, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JH1

Did you even watch the interview? If you did, I'm going to take a wild guess that you're a Nancy Grace fan as well.

July 30, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Jim Stevens

You are so poisoned by CNN. No one could be more obviously liberal. You NEVER see any point of view from any one else. Your non stop telling what Americans think is ridiculous. You not even an American in reality. Do you ever see the ratings on your show? We give you a chance and you run all your viewers off. Why dont you just go back to covering useless celebrity fluff. Politics is not your talent.

July 30, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Paul

Piers you were way out of bounds. Chaffetz made some valid points and all you could do is call him an obstructionist. The same could be said for both sides. You obviously have an agenda. Have you gone after Harry Reid lately?? hmmmm.
    Get off the air and take your 72 viewers with you.........

July 30, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • john

what crap. Chaffetz is a clown and got what he deserved.

July 30, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. LB

Unlike the states are required to have balanced budgets, the Federal government must respond to the Nations emergencies. Weather disasters, attracts from terrorists, the spread of disease, oil spills, and recently the imminent threat of depression with 30 per-cent unemployment. This is evident as the states always needing bailouts or other help during disasters. Rick Perry complained about the stimulus, took the money and credit for the jobs it paid for. Many other governors did the same thing! The balanced budget idea never operates with dollars. So the fluctuations of taxes would make owed payments impossible. Social Security is a DEFINED BENIFIT!

July 30, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Dennis

I am sick to my stomach, right after the election of this president SEN. Mcconnell said he would see this president , that this president would be a one term president. (racist) they want to kick the can down the road and only raise the debt ceiling for 3-6 months so they can contiinue the presure of the president until the election in 2012

July 30, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. wayneinpd

I think Piers missed it with Chaffetz too, but he has a critical approach on the issue, which is lot more than you can say of many anchors

July 30, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Chris

Did that idiot really just ask why we can't just print our own money? Holy cow!! Seriously??This is really what is wrong with our country. People on main st, wall st, penn ave, and capitol hill thinking that fiat monetary policy can solve our problems. What do you think has been going on for the last 30 years??? That's part of the reason we're in this mess and it's also why gas is nearly 4/gal instead of $/gal...

July 30, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Wesley Windle

Hello, I am one of 400,000,000 peole that live in the United States and like most of us have lost hope in Our American dreams of keeping homes let alone our children owning one, we have lost hope of recieving any "Hope" in "We The People" who we have become to automaticly think Government and it is or can not help this economic problems of this era.
    I have a defenate answer that is not a new concept but one we The people CAN solve, 400 million people Kid,s, teens, all would love to see people get a break and be able to have some extra money to spend and help the economy out of this hole , I propose evry one of us on the same day donate $1 to the Save our Homes, or whatever it comes to be called , the Idea is to get 4 well know people like Anderson Cooper, Oprha for example that people are used to trusting and have respect for to recieve this Fund money and spend it as soon as it has come in having been posted all ready all over the media the Dollar day would be sent to this fund and will imediately be spent to Totally pay OFF 200,000 Homes under the Max of $200,000 per home ,this theory will make History not one penny is spent other than what it was intended for being the Few people it took to over see the money and the few people it took tp find the First 200,000 homes on the list to loose thier homes first , thats it 200 thousand homes saved I dont care who they are or how they got in the situation , the point is we care enough about our Country and the people the we are willing all 400 million of us to save these fist 200 thousand homes to PROVE WE THE PEOPLE CAN HELP IN A MATTER OF WEEKS what the Government our Employees canot do its imossible for them now, We can do it in Numbers, this theory Can be reallity with the Few right Regular People non Government to Start ,spreding the Day( example Sep 11 ) to send the dollar and watch the PROOF that the thousands of people out there that have and are saying If we could only come together we can help all these people be Mortgae free and have the money to spend on other things , remind you of Like stemulis, yes thats the after effects of this Proof we did it, now people are spending money ecomomy is growing ,Jobs are needed , NOW this first time is only the proof to America we the people did something Great and now know not a scam every penny was spent ,so Now lets do $5 dollars thats one million more homes 200,000 Dollars or less to quallify that are NOW TE PROUD owners of thier homes, maybe we saved someone from comitting suicide , people might have the ecouragement to stop drinking so much ,have Hope again and the rest of us get Nothing but Self satisfaction and each time now that the people know we Can do anything in Numbers We the Peolple Can Fix Our Country Not in 2020, but this Month ,next Month depeds on Our speedyness to get this done not the Govornment, no offence they have thier own problems to solve meanwhile we have the Power in Numbers to see that Every American that wants to be a Home owner accoring to thier needs not wants can have the Break in this New America to have the extra finds to spend on the other nessesities we so much need Medicine , Food Gas etc.. and excuse my spelling but you should see where this can go and , I personally can think of No flaw to Make this Happen, If you Agree or disagre Please tell Me why Wesley windle E-Mail at wsly_wndl@yahoo.com home phone Here in Coquille, Oregon ,This would be Biblical and other Nations could see why they are fighting for freedom to Have this Power we have yet to put to use .

July 30, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Milan

Piers, you are doing a disservice by not fully reporting the impending crises. The debt ceiling is only part of the problem. Without a responsible program to rein in the deficit, the AAA rating is still in jeopardy and a drop will cause similar fiscal problems as a default. With the current compromise plans as proposed, the rating drop is almost a foregone conclusion. The republican proposals actually come closer to fixing this mess then what is proposed by the other side of aisle. From many of the combatants this is more then posturing. The market drop this week is a sign that confidence that our government can find fiscal responsibility is dwindling.

July 30, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Milan

I need to add that the threat of not sending out SSI checks is highly offensive. The retirees depending on those checks paid their hard earned money into that fund and for the administration to threaten to withhold THEIR money, not government funds – but the money they put in, while congress still pays their own salaries and other programs, is criminal!!!

July 30, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • wayneinpd

It will be the President alone who will decide Seniors do not get their check. He can try to pass this buck, but he can't

July 30, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Nell

Bless you, Piers, for reflecting reality/the world's frustration with these psychotically ignorant ideologues. I know I felt validated. Tragically (and I mean that strictly), as evidenced by comments above, it counts as noise in their echo chamber. Effectively, you've preached to the converted. And in all likelihood you've already been threatened by at least six of their wingnuts. I bet even Anderson Cooper, who's been more measured in his coverage of this, probably has.

I've no idea how the talk-radio-poisoned minds of the Tea Party caucus and their supporters can be penetrated. Probably they can't be, until there's some legal standard of truth/verification in news reporting. I'm not sure anyone could challenge or teach them fast enough now.

It's absolutely sickening to watch.

July 30, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • wayneinpd

I can reflect that the PID's mentioned above apply just as well to DEMs who say life as we know it will end if we have a balanced budget. Progressive and balanced to them means giving more money to their friends and less to those who oppose them. It's revealing which "grown-up"side is doing the name calling, right up to the WH and "leaders". When I listen to Reid and the next level of spokepersons I feel the same sense of honesty and integrity as their formerly distinguished Wiener

July 30, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • nomdeplume

With you, Nell, all the way. Great job Piers.

July 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. michele

Your interview tonight with Chaffetz was so bias that I could hardly listen to your questions and lack of listening without already having a very left agenda. England is dying and you live here and want to turn us into England. Your questioning of all conservatives on your show is so lopsided and argumentative so much so that I I can hardly listen or watch you. Then you have someone like Debbie Shultz and talk to her with complete respect, no questioning. I find her repugnant and turn off any show when I have to listen to her. Not all Americans think like you think they think

July 30, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Nick jv

One time when any reporter on any news channel asks any political figure a question about what they are trying to do to solve out debt crisis, and they respond with a comment about "oh the house or the senate, or the democrats or republicans won't pass or do this" to just stop them mid sentence, and say "no, give me an actual idea/s you have to fix this problem, an actual solution, and if you don't have an answer to that, then you should not be in politics or on this show."

July 30, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. chris blackburn

I think this started when we started to act unfaithful to our true leader God almighty. I think a lot of you have your own interest in mind. God knows all your hearts,so what ever happens i will stay trusting in God. I just think people will have to live with their families if our economy falls. Who knows this might make us stronger and even people in Washington will have to start over as well. Taking about change,that will be change. God bless you all if you trust that and believe that.I don't appreciate you saying God bless america if your Atheism.

July 30, 2011 at 3:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. sherman baldwin

Piers:

You really showed your left bias tonight on your coverage of the debt crisis. What a load of crap you let go unchallenged. I am very disappointed. I will no longer watch your show.

July 30, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Matt M

I think our governemnt is going about this all wrong. If you look back at our debt history, you can see that it started shooting up in the 1980's and hasn't stopped yet. I think they need to dissect the start of the debt rise ranging from military expenses to new project and department expenses. We held a steady debt of about 2 trillion for quite some time and suddenly stopped caring about holding that. This issue has been going on for about 30 years now and it's about time that the debt sees a decline. I understand that cuts are harsh (especially in a time like this) but if the government goes in to default, then nothing else will matter.

July 30, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Jerome

Some of the comments here are indicative of why there is no deal. In the past, we expected (right or wrong) our leaders to be a bit more sane and reasonable. But we have narrow minds trying to fix complicated problems. This is truly a divided nation. Christian (of which I am one) people who stand up against abortion but couldn't give a flip about the poor and less fortunate among us. More to the point, some of you are claiming to voice the opinion of the majority, but you are not. Most of us see the value of cutting cost as well as increasing tax revenue. The rich among us should not continue to have loopholes to skirt their fair share. 'To whom much is given, much is required' – remember that one. It is narrow-minded insanity to think that only one approach has merit. That is why a balanced solution is the only 'real' solution. The real danger to this nation is when we can no longer sit down with our fellow man/woman and agree to disagree, but put the good of this nation first – the whole nation. These issues have been brewing for a long time and did not originate with this President – that's truth. Who's signing up to be part of the solution.

July 30, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Carl Yaffe

Piers – I am not a conservative, a Republican, or a Tea Partier, but found your "interview" with Jason Chaffetz disgraceful. That is no more journalism than Chris Matthews' constant interruptions of his guests.

You asked Allen West, and have asked others, who should resign if this sitaution is not resolved in a reasonable way on time. The answer is every single reporter, anchor, interviewer, pundit, writer, and broadcaster who has been pushing the lie of "debt default" for weeks, punctuated by hysterical remarks about apocalypse, catastrophe, collapse, depression, etc. – all a lot of irresponsible nonsense. That's who should resign.

July 30, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. joanna dejong

I find it interesting that congress will cut citizens benefits like medicare, social security etc. but not one word about money overseas to pay off foriegn countries. Why did we give millions if not billions to build a sewer system in Iraq or Iran (?) that was started but will never be finished. Why do teens in CA get $3100 dollars this summer to skateboard? Why does China expect us to build water plants for them, if not a type of blackmail because they loan us billions? We should borrow money from them to build plants that we will pay interest on. Someone should bring out all the wasted money that runs up our debt. What is so hard about saying- we don't have it? It only makes sense it we keep running up our debt like the democrats want to do we will one day default and we will all loose everything and have to be responsible for ourselves. This crisis will come around again and it's too bad that everyone in Congress doesn't realize it and come up with a plan to curb all the pork and unneccesary spending around the world. When 46% percent of Americans don't pay any tax there is something wrong with our tax laws. How many of these people expect the rest of us to support them when we are struggling also to pay our bills and put some aside for our retirement so we aren't dependent on the government to take care of us. Yes, the tax loopholes should be plugged and subsidies for farmers that collect a million dollars a year should be capped and other such subsidies as will. Will congress do it I doubt it as the lobbyists are too strong – and why do we even have them? Everyone wants everything but the reality is that those of us who pay 35% in federal tax can't support 46% of Americans who don't pay any tax as long as the government continues to spend trillions it doesn't have. We are on a road to financial ruin if nothing changes in D.C. – at least the tea party congressmen are giving fair warning – even though we know we have to temporarily raise the debt ceiling to stay afloat. Lastly, just think of what our loan payment to foriegn countries could do for us if we didn't owe them milllions every month. Our infrastructure could be repaired, there would be money for programs that really make a difference, etc. Look at these statistics – it looks insane to me:
    The Congressional Research Service released a report last month, a copy of which Fox News exclusively obtained, showing that in fiscal year 2010, the latest year that data was available, the U.S. handed out a total of $1.4 billion to 16 foreign countries that held at least $10 billion in Treasury securities, including China ($27.2 million), Brazil ($25 million), Russia ($71.5 million), India ($126.6 million), Mexico ($316.7 million) and Egypt ($255.7 million).

China is the largest holder of U.S. Treasury bonds with $1.1 trillion as of March, according to the Treasury Department. Brazil held $193.5 billion, Russia had $127.8 billion, India owned $39.8 billion, Mexico held $28.1 billion and Egypt had $15.3 billion. FOX NEWS reported these figures!

Why aren't these things talked about?

July 30, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • westwind59

Hello Joanna you sound very inform ,Iwould Love for you to read this blog and tell me what your opinion of this is Please, my name is Wesley and I am so sure that there are so many people that would love to have you in on this Biblical story, I know I do, So please read my blog on wethepeoplecandotcom.wordpress.com/wp-admin/

and I pray youtake this serious, I am a simple Barber and everyone I talk to agrees this can work to save even change the way of life in our country

August 2, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. erock

Piers, It was painful watching you try and interview the Congressman from Utah, Chaffetz. It was like you could not comprehend anything that was being presented to you by Chaffetz. You pretty much looked unintelligent, very transparent, and most definitely out of your league. I did not want to give you another moment of my time, because you clearly were wasting it. I switched the channel.

July 30, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  45. JH1

Watched this interview again this morning to see if maybe I missed something here. And I didn't. Just as disgraceful as when I watched it last night. This was not a "heated debate" so much as Piers getting heated and Chaffetz being exasperated and wondering if his mic was on.

This was clearly one of those conversations where the person you're trying to explain a concept to already has their mind made up and no matter how many different ways you try to make them actually listen to what you're saying, they have a neurotic disconnect that forces them to shout "No! That's not true!" and shaking their heads before you get 3 words into your next sentence because it challenges their preconceived notion of how the world works and they're too irrational / illogical / angry to ever have an open mind or god forbid possibly be wrong in the first place.

You know what I mean. We've all had these "debates" with those ignorant, rude family members who don't realize they're being ignorant and rude who we try to see once a year at most

July 30, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Skip Surguine

THANK YOU PIERS FOR BEING THERE TO ASK THE TOUGH QUESTIONS FOR US! PLEASE DO NOT STOP!

IF representative Chaffetz is so willing to throw this country into turmoil and risk our (my) social security payments, I wish he would at least PRETEND to be serious and wipe that silly smirk off of his face!!

Re Social Security - I PAID FOR THAT FOR MANY YEARS – it NOT a handout!! As I understand it - one of the reasons it is at risk is that CONGRESS has been dipping into for years to pay debt that we should have never incurred in the first place! SOCIAL SECURITY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SACRED and SEPERATE from all other funds!!

Regardless of what they say about the president, THEY (Congress) were the ones to delve into those funds (ILLIEGALLY??) and it is they who approve spending. First they borrow from it, then they beat up the people they borrowed from! I am angry – no, livid – with these arrogant people!!

The least they could do is have a little humility!!

July 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Carol Calhoun

Please excuse my ignorance, but you are speaking of those countries that we are in debt to since they hold our securities, correct? If so, as I will assume, what about collecting all of the billions (trillions?) that are owed from other countries to us? I am wondering when citizens are going to begin protesting in the streets, I have been thinking about it, but in a town of 700, I don't think I would get much notice. Regards.

July 30, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Timid

This is a hopeless country. It's all about the secret workers who are being starved to death by the prejudice and discrimination of the government. The government is far too big and is not doing it's job for the people. America needs to own up to it's false pretenses and make sure every human being here has enough food. The lies, greed and fraud are not acceptable. How it was ever allowed to get this bad is possibly the last straw in the court of public opinion.

July 31, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. chad from kansas city missouri

Since the extended Bush tax rate is to creat jobs and stimulate the economy ( since the extention me and 3 of my firends got laid off ). Why not spend your extra cash here to stimulate my income. Thank you. http://www.zazzle.com/imcheap

July 31, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Joe G. (Illinois)

If Burak Obama is right about how the spending Government money creates jobs..

And if the money in question is all barrowed money "Not ours to begging with."
    And we won't/can't ever pay it all back anyway..
    Then what's the problem?!

I urge you all to call your congressman, your senators, get on the Worldwide web and tell them:
    "Me wan't just like Burak Obama said" and let's end the fighting!!

July 31, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. rick s.

How about we cut DOD, CIA, NSA, and the department of homeland security? That is what TRUE tea party and American people want. Bring our troops home. The only people benefiting from this war are the banks loaning the money to fund it and those corporate interests that have a stake in this military takeover of the middle east. Check the AEI and PNAC think tanks model for the US during this last 10 years. Our foreign policy matches up identically with the agenda they proposed back in the 90's. The reason we can't come to a debt agreement is because there are those in washington who will not cut defense and bring us home when that is what the overwhelming majority of Americans want. The CIA,DoD and department of homeland security tell us withdrawl would be dangerous and irresponsible. Irresponsible is letting us get into the economic pickle we're in without considering cutting defense. Irresponsible is letting the rich financial interests of the world trump the interests of the American people and at the cost of our financial futures. The problem with listening to the rich financiers of the world is that they don't care if America is hated around the world, or goes belly up economically because at the end of the day they've made money off of these conflict and when they have sucked us dry they'll wait for the next economic super power to emerge and do the same to them. Wake up washington and stick it to the wall street goons and big oil. Fight the power!

July 31, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Patrice

Please Piers
    Invite Peter Schiff ceo of europacific capital for an interview on your show. He will bring you reality with what is going to happen soon enough in the US.

Bonjour from Montreal
    Patrice

July 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  53. melanerpes

Piers Morgan appears to have a very small mental toolbox. Maybe 10,000 lines or so of FORTRAN code running there.

August 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. westwind59

Dear Mr. Morgan, If I may Piers, my name is Wesley and I am so sure that there are so many people that would love to have you in on this Biblical story, as well as Anderson Cooper, Oprah and a few others, I know I do, So please read my blog on wethepeoplecandotcom.wordpress.com/wp-admin/

August 2, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply