Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 15th, 2011

Mark Sanford: "We get our priorities mixed up in life...life is about relationships"

Former South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford will be interviewed live on "Piers Morgan Tonight" this evening, and he will talk about the scandal while he was office, 2012 politics and more. But he also reflected on his new life during a pre-interview in South Carolina. Above is a web extra from that interview. "If you went through the level of destruction that I brought about it my own life, you have this yearning to construct something," he said. "We get our priorities mixed up in life. Fundamentally life is about relationships – relationship to God and relationship to those around us."

Also on the show tonight – 2012 GOP candidate Rep. Ron Paul. Tune in 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Web Extra
  1. William Kolarek, Jr.

I donated substantial sums of money to his campaign and voted for him twice. He embarrassed himself and the entire state of South Carolina with his total lack of self control and willingness to deceive all who supported him. Now he's back from his "40 Days" of self reflection seeking understanding and forgiveness. It appears an ego so large cannot stand the thought of being irrelevant. Whenever Mark Sanford speaks I hear the words of Doc Holiday in the movie Tombstone when he states, “Apparently my hypocrisy knows no bounds!”

William Kolarek, Jr.
    North Augusta, SC

August 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lee

I agree. No bounds to his hypocrisy! But also:
      No bounds to his self-delusion. (Long historical quotes making me look smart. Biblical quotes to make me look like a Christian.)
      No bounds to his condescending racism: "a big black woman hugged me!"
      No bounds to his willingness to use his children as props. (Wish the boys looked happier to be in the photo with me - would make the photo op even better)
      No bounds to his poor sense of timing. (maybe after TWO YEARS, all will be forgotten if I carefully stage a comeback. I won't announce I'm getting back into politics today . . . but maybe I can set the stage for another day.)

NO ONE IN AMERICA WAS FOOLED BY THAT! Fire the PR agency. Better still, PR agency should fire its client.

August 15, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Gee

Thanks for putting Ron Paul on. Can't wait!

Ask him about bringing all the troops home, and ending the War on Drugs, TSA groping, and abolishing the Income Tax/IRS.

August 15, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Daniel

Thank you for having Ron Paul on tonight. He did so well at the Ames straw poll, 2nd to Bachmann by less than 1%, and has not been interviewed by anyone yet. Piers Morgan is very respectful to his guest.

August 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. cepivon

I would like to know if Ron Paul would go to war, if the Congress formally declared it.
    Does he believe that there is a class warfare encouraged by the Federal Reserve's existence?

August 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter Richter

Thanks for having Ron Paul on your program! Democrat or Republican doesn't matter. Compromise is no-good when the compromise is for bad ideas. Liberty is what really matters – because the only choice besides Liberty is oppression. Ron Paul is the only man that has a perfect, consistent record for over 35 years. He WILL do what he says!

I saw someone had a question about going to war – Ron Paul believes that the INITIATION of force is immoral – so it's wrong to go to war if you are starting it. If you are defending yourself from a direct attack – then that's perfectly acceptable. Note: the initiation of force is also immoral when it's the government initiating force against individuals also! Ponder that for a while.

August 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sophie

Thank You for having Ron Paul on your show tonight, the best candidate from the Republican party. He has a consistent record for over 30 years in politics. He never flip-flops on the issues. The real change we need.

August 15, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Albert

Thank you for putting Ron Paul on the show, even though the camera work was poor. The byline was also a distortion, but that's a minor point. Nobody expect you, Pierce, to give anyone a free ride, but I thought you were fair. There's is nothing extreme about Ron Paul, unless we think that surrendering more and more control of our lives, our privacy, our money, our liberties to the government, which is what Ron Paul opposes. He is fiercely anti-war. Is that extreme? No, war is extreme.

August 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Wm. Winder

Someone please tell Piers Morgan that the United States is a republic, not a democracy.

August 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chuck Newman, Lakeview, AR

that depends on what the definition of "is" is.... the U.S. WAS a republic.

August 18, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. SC citizen

Someone tell Mark Sanford to wipe the corner of his mouth!

August 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Chris B.

How cruel to let Mark Sanford be filmed with food in the corner of his mouth!

August 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JJ

Right? I couldn't even watch the interview. I was waiting for someone off stage to wave to him when the camera was on Piers.

August 16, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Miguel

WOW! Ron Paul treated with the respect he deserves on a MSM show. Proves Piers does think outside the box INDEED!
    I shall continue to watch Piers Morgan, as he demonstrates an ability to view the big picture- not the narrow view the corporate handlers try frame of this upcoming presidential race. Does Obama deserve a second term? No way.
    Do the Republicans offer any real alternative? Not really, except for: RON PAUL, who sadly they continually dismiss as "unelectable". I guess 27% of Iowa straw poll goers count for NADA.

August 15, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Restore The Foundations

They who label Ron Paul "fringe", the lame-stream media, are proving to be on the "fringe" themselves in this election. They marginalized truth so much in the past 4 years that now nearly everyone can see through their deception. Here's one for you if you think Dr. Paul can't win. His son, who's also a doctor, ran for U.S. Senator in KY in 2010, and had never held even so much as a dog-catchers position in his entire life. The GOP machine lined up behind his primary challenger, Trey Grayson, a former Democrat, including endorsements by Dick Cheney, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Karl Rove, and Rudy Giulliani. Well, we the people had a different idea. Rand mopped Trey's butt in the primary almost 2 to 1, and went on to do the same thing to his Democratic challenger in November. So, if Ron "can't win", I hope he's "defeated" as badly as his son, now Senator Rand Paul, from Kentucky.

August 15, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Helen Kimmerer

Hysterical that noone told Mark Sanford that he has a cottage cheese like item stuck in the corner of his mouth! I sure hope Ginny was watching...

August 15, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. John Eldridge

Thank you Piers for allowing Ron Paul on your program. Ron Paul is a good man! I agree with everything but the abortion issue. Unfortunately you can't find a perfect candidate but he comes close. He's are only hope. I'm a liberal and I will vote for him.

August 15, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. bob weber

Why can't he get a job out of politics? Being a politician has become a job. No one is interested in serving the country, just getting reelected, raising money and working with lobbyists. They all become wealthy and have no idea what it is like to be a working stiff.

August 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Michael Johns

Piers your the man for letting Ron Paul on. Ron Paul in 2012. I choose Freedom and hope america wakes up to this idea.

August 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Albert

Ron Paul delivered 4,000 babies. He dealt with women and their pregnancies. I make allowances for that. At least he is not like these bloodthirsty pro-lifers who want to wage war all the time and think nothing of the innocents lives on the streets of Baghdad and Teheran. I don't understand the inconsistency of those who don't want a young mad to smoke dope, but would allow a woman to abort a fetus on the basis that it is her body. Well, should the young man not have the same right over his body? Who is he harming smoking dope? Paul said he would pardon all non-violent drug offenders.

August 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. bob weber

I was talking about mark Sanford in my post

August 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. don e baker

Mark Sanford just said Warren Buffet was misleading in his comments regarding his income tax situation, and then Mark Sanford misleads the viewers by saying the corporate tax rate of 35% is too high and needs to be fixed. Mark failed to say that most corporations pay zero income tax (regardless of the high tax rate) and this has been true for many years. Piers Morgan should have jumped on that deception my Sanford.

August 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Tim

Thanks for having Ron Paul on tonight. I will check back with you on any follow up you may have with him. I hope you do great in ratings and continue to at least give him a chance. Your questions where great and the level of respect was awesome. Thanks again

August 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Rob Baudhuin

I cannot understand why anyone would interview Mark Sanford. Right before I switched channels out of disgust, he said that his experience had made him think about subsequent actions using the phrase "but for the grace of God, go I". I ask, how could a man get to be his age with his experience without having known this already for a decade or two? What a useless, broken man. He has absolutely nothing to add to our national dialog, and he has nothing of value to anyone.

August 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Craig Nisnewitz

The comment that we are headed for a world depression and that it could take down the republic is totally without merit. To make such comments is totally irresponsible.

August 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Adriana

I think that Mark Sanford is a very smart guy...but because what he has done in the past, he has no chance in this country's politics...Too bad for our future...

August 15, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Kathy

What a hipocrite..he is giving out Bible passages and he forgot to tell us what the Bible says about divorce and adultry. I have NEVER heard anyone try to rationalize their behavior more than he has. Is he living with his new girlfriend??? Wonder what God thinks about that? Oh yes..would someone please tell him to stop saying "we are all human."
    Just one more excuse he uses for his life style...give me a break. How does he think he is kidding??

August 15, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Kurt A Leonard

Ok CNN what the ;'/; are you doing to this network? first it was Cambel B then you hire a brit to do larrys how and somehow its not live anymore im not saying there cant be re runs but come on and then you hire spitzer lol lol
    I mean have u lost your mind youve moved joy now you messing with my man andy back off if u need me to consult on your lineup call me 2500.00 per hour
    Kurt A Leonard i mean thats chicken scratch to your ad budget and prog changes this year alone
    Please were is the real now network its a real shame but what do i know me just 43 sing gay father here so cheers

August 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. BCA

Piers needs to let guests finish their thoughts as Larry King did. Stop cutting them off before end of thought and stop with the English influenced sensationalizing every interview. While that's entertainment, it's NOT news, or having any sincerity about guest discussion. :(

August 15, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. LadyDena

Piers Morgan has filled a spot that was empty regarding great and candid interviews! Thank you!!

My question is, Mark Sanford said something very profound and wonderful about 3 things you need to give a woman, and also a man. Can someone post what he said, or does anyone know if there is a transcript I can check? It seems I can't rewatch the interview now that it's over. I absolutely love these interviews Piers does!!

August 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Phil

Mr. Morgan thanks for putting Dr. Paul on tonight. I don't normally watch CNN but I tuned in for the show tonight.

August 15, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Syntax

Geez! Would Piers shut up already about new taxes?? It's not the solution for everything. Plus, it's really none of his business.

August 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. greg

thanks for letting Dr.Paul finish his points(most of them). He rarely is allowed to in interviews. I wish more people would listen to him speak rather then listen to what the MSM claims about the good doctor. Ron Paul 2012

August 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Andrew Brower

Thank you for talking about this Ron Paul guy. I am confused on how I can't find info about him at fox and cnn, but Perry is everywhere. Seems like places like China and other world leaders would respect him for his age and his integrity.

August 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Savion

Great interview on Ron Paul, I would have watched longer if Ron Paul was on the whole entire show but turned the telly off because why would I want to hear about a senator that left office in disgrace because he cheated on his wife, so cliche, don't you think?
    MORE RON PAUL .

August 15, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Restore The Foundations

Kudos for having my choice for president in 2012 on tonight – Ron Paul. The media tries to paint this man as appealing to young, dope-smoking college kids. Well, I'm 51, a Bible-believing Christian, who doesn't drink, smoke, cuss, or watch the lame-stream media (except on the internet when Dr. Paul is on), married to the same woman 19 years, with 7 kids, and self-employed, who voted for George Bush twice. There you go. Ron Paul is the ONLY man outside his son Rand, that I'd vote for president this year. Wake up America – put principle above party – we're in deep trouble.

August 15, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. nicholas

Two things: Mark Sanford's personal life, with regards to his affair is none of our business. Secondly, his comment about the "black woman" is unfortunate but not severe.

August 16, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. DaveP

Why does Sanford rate the lion's share of the time slot... he's completely irrelevant in every sense. Why not give the whole hour to Dr. Paul, the only politician in the country who has the complete set of policies to turn the nation around. It was very cheesy of CNN to use the poor quality video of Dr. Paul, trying to reinforce the impression that he's some kind of internet nut case. The question "you want to legalize heroin right?" was an attempt to distort his view on ending the war on drugs (fabulously expensive and completely inefective), which Dr. Paul handled so well.,

August 16, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. gerri

MORE RON PAUL, mR. mORGAN ! ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING,,WISH HE HAD A BETTER VOICE,,,,,,,,& WISH HE WAS YOUNGER,,,BUR 8 YRS, YRS OF HIM BEING THE pRES,,WOULD PUT THOS COUNTRY ON ITS FEET !...GOD BLESS !...

August 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Lou

Pierce!!!!!!!!!! Please ask why every item in a Starbuck's outlet is MADE IN CHINA??????? How about made in the USA??? That would create JOBS.

August 18, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Rob Kirk

When Penn Jillette was on the other night, you asked the questions you said no non-theist has ever answered. Well, here are the best answers we have based on what science has shown us – when you die you go back to being part of the Universe. It's the "reverse" of being born. We don't know exactly what the natural "Universe" is, but we KNOW we are part of it. You asked, – how did we get here? Life emerges from matter and evolves to higher organization of matter. Life is an emergent and integral part of the Universe. We don't understand it all yet, BUT we believe and have FAITH that the scientific method is the best way of finding the truth. WE HAVE FAITH AND BELIEVE THAT ALL THAT EXISTS, EXISTS WITHIN THE NATURAL UNIVERSE. Science has lead us to the conclusion that there is NO evidence that a "supernatural domain" or a "supernatural being" exist. As Thomas Jefferson said, it is better to not believe than to believe in something that is wrong.

August 18, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. john

What a blithering idiot. Glad I never waste time with this so called newsperson.. Only responded to a story i caught on his inappropriate interview with Ms.O'Donnell.

August 18, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. best e-books

Great paintings! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared around the net. Disgrace on the seek engines for not positioning this put up higher! Come on over and discuss with my web site . Thank you =)

April 2, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse | Reply