READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For August 16, 2011 – Obama to unveil new initiatives to spur job growth, stocks slide on open, more calls for Syria to end the violence...
• Obama to unveil new initiatives to spur job growth: "President Barack Obama's three-day Midwestern bus tour continues Tuesday with a meeting with farmers and small-business owners. The president said he will release a detailed plan to boost the economy, create jobs and control the country's deficit when Congress returns to Washington in September."
• Stocks skid on weak European economy: "U.S. stocks fell at the open Tuesday, after three straight sessions of healthy gains, as nearly stagnant economic growth in Europe stoked fears of a regional and global slowdown. "
• Angela Merkel and Nicolas Sarkozy huddle as euro struggles: "The leaders of Europe's two most important economies meet Tuesday to try to help the battered euro, even as new figures show economic growth on the continent is stalling."
• Jordan, Turkey join calls for Syria to end violence: "Two of Syria's neighbors joined growing international calls Monday for Damascus to halt its violent crackdown on anti-government protesters - calls that came even as the violence itself continued."
• Canadian hockey player Rypien dies at 27: "National Hockey League veteran Rick Rypien was found dead at his rural Alberta home Monday."
*Photo Courtesy Getty Images