Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 17th, 2011

Clips From Last Night: Harvey Weinstein on Obama's progress; Penn Jillette on prosperity

Last night on "Piers Morgan Tonight" producer Harvey Weinstein talked about his continued support of Pres. Barack Obama. "I think he's ready to engage, and I think he's just done a great job," Weinstein told Piers Morgan. "The thing that bothers me the most is the opposition."

Also on the show was Penn Jillette, who talked about American prosperity and the economy:

Said Jillette: "I always seem to think the most important thing is individuals and the most important thing is diversity."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. sours

Please, for goodness sake have T BONE PICKENS on you show. He will tell AMERICA exactly how to fix our problems.
    He will also tell you exactly what's wrong in this country.

August 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kristina

Piers is killer interviewer! We got the Penn Jillette's whole family history from a person who wishes for perfect intelligence. I will not be reading Jillette's novel, "God, No!" I'm sorry for the young children he and his misguided woman are responsible for. How can someone give a little girl a middle-name Crimefighter? This reminded me of a woman who birthed twins and proposed naming one girl 'Something' and the other 'Special'.

August 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sarah

Piers succinctly sums up the message of Jillette's book: 'You're all wrong!!! But, by the way, I don't have any better answers'.

August 17, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Linda Rogers

I am a writer, teacher and broadcaster of longer experience that Piers Morgan and I have some advice: Let the interviewee speak without constant interruption. His interview of Penn Jillette is a classic "how not to interview" and a very good resource for journalism classes. Who cares what Piers Morgan thinks about religion or anything else? Are we not interested in fair journalism, the complexities of the interviewee? What happened to civil discourse? I'll bet the above responders drink a lot of tea. Is Piers going for the Fox audience? America has big problems and I am watching Morgan become one of them. Linda Rogers, poet laureate, Victoria BC

August 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristina

Dear Ms #1, I'm so glad you regard Piers as an American troublemaker. You should meet me, I've had 'educators' such as yourself in many classrooms from primary to collegiate levels. Have you ever been published? Your name is very generic so I would not be able to distinguish one from another on a websearch. I'd appreciate an accurate & timely response from you.

August 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Suzanne morris

Piers Morgan's interview last night with Penn Jillette was disgraceful. He should be terminated as an interviewer immediately. He was rude, uncivil, disgusting. This could have been an interesting part of the program; a very important topic discussed with civility and consideration. Are you trying to compete with Fox News for the most unbalanced shouting match?

August 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Christa

I wholeheartedly concur with Suzanne Morris.

August 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristina

Q: Christa & Suzanne, do you subscribe to Bill O'Reilly or Suze Orman much?

August 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Akshay

One can have too many dice, however the avgerae gamer will never own enough dice to hit that limit. The limit of course being that you can fill more than a single Olympic sized swimming pool.And there's actually another reason not to use an app: cheating. There are some apps out there that are designed to roll better but look like non-cheating apps.Paper books vs eBooks: Paper books do not require electricity to use and are more open than eBooks. In that eBooks can only be lent to a friend if the publisher allows you to do so, while Paper books can always be lent.

May 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. HYdrangea

Last night's interview with Penn Jillette was abominable. He was insulting to him and his beliefs. Atheists are the largest minority in the U.S> and growing. Piers, please respect others' values and outlook on life. You insulted everyone who does not believe your particular brand of Christianity( or whatever that was). Keep your creepy views to yourself and simply interview someone who disagrees with you with empathy and objectivity. I don't think I will watch you anymore.

August 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • DaveM

I completely agree. PM's handling of that interview was pathetic. Penn deserves a lot of credit for being such a gentleman amid that unprovoked and cowardly attack.

August 18, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ron Good

It would be an interesting change were viewers to get 30 seconds of Piers asking a question and 4 minutes of the guest answering, instead of the guest's 30 seconds quickly cut short so Piers can put words in the guest's mouth and then explain for a few minutes why he disagrees.

August 17, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. B.L

Piers's interview with Penn Jillitte was pitiful. Pires was rude and disrespectful. He interrupted continuously, he refused to listen to Mr. Jillette, he talked down to him. How could a "professional interviewer" say "lets take another break just to shut you up" Mr Jillette was taken aback by the comment. Piers I believe showed his true self as an ignorant uneducated frightened little man who can't even imagine he MIGHT be wrong about "His God" I cut him some slack when he proved he is unprepaired by asking Barry Manilow when he wrote Mandy, He is close to losing me as a viewer, from his behavior last night he showed he probably doesn't care.

August 17, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jackson

I listened to this one at night, so hope I rembeemr everything. I need some sort of mental bluetooth connection to my phone, so it'll note down memos as I think them.Anyway, important first point: sound quality was great on this episode, I think you guys have nailed the microphone settings. Couldn't hear any distortion at all.Also, /bow. Wales is now 3.6% more popular on the world stage, thanks to several mentions in this episode. I suspect we're now more likely to devolve from the UK and become our own country of coal and sheep. And Tom Jones.I'm trying to decide which list of games to give my missus (she'll pick one to buy me for Christmas) so I'm glad all this videogame chat came up. I admin one of the biggest gaming forums in the UK, but ironically don't get to game much so I'm pretty out of the loop on what's what. I'll be adding Fallout 3 to the list though, I bet the DLC inclusive version costs peanuts, these days. Same for Dragon Age 1. I think, on reflection, I'll hold fire on Skyrim and wait for the inevitable GOTY edition.William (inadvertently) raised an interesting point, though I don't think there are enough MMO type games on consoles. Sure, FF 11 (and now 14, or something?) and that Sega one they ported from the Dreamcast is out for 360, but otherwise there's a real lack of persistent worlds going on. I mean, I can't think of a single decent reason why, for example, Guild Wars 2 couldn't have a console release. You only have 8 toolbar icons (you have loads and loads of abilities, but have to carefully select 8 each time you venture out) and clever interfaces like Mass Effect have clearly shown you can have quite complicated functions within a game and access them in a reasonable fashion. It doesn't have to be full blown WoW type affairs, but if Santa is listening, more persistent worlds for console owners, please. For example, anyone heard of Planetside? It was a Sony MMO from a few years ago, technically ahead of its time. It was a First Person Shooter with thousands of participants all fighting the same war/battle, with aircraft and all sorts. Think Battlefield 3, but on a massive scale. Well anyway, the sequel is in development, I just hope they give it a console release this time.

May 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. YigalG

I was surprised that during the interview with Schultz from Starbucks Piers gave Apple as an example of a company we should follow to recovery. Apple employs 50,000 sales people in the US and 1Million people in China. This is exactly why we are in trouble. All Apples' manufacturing and R&D are in China. There are more PhDs in China than in all of the USA. They are not just cheat labor they are now also where the smart and educated labor is. As far as Starbucks goes, like GM and GE, Starbucks CEO knows that their future is in China and he gets ready to ditch US for China. That is why he learns to speak Chinese.

August 17, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Nick

Piers basically kept proving Penn's point without realizing it. He basically demonstrated the problems with the majority of religious people: a) I first believed in the god that parents believed in b) then, the answer to everything has to fit around that first belief. Penn really nailed it on two points saying Piers believes in the God his parents happened to teach him about. He also made a great point about the arrogance/insecurity of men who for some reason need to believe that we're eternal beings. "It's not a problem for you that you didn't exist in 1890, so why is it a problem that you won't exist in 2090?". Haha. Exactly. We just have to live forever don't we...

August 18, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ivana the Impaler

Hi there, Nick. Would you explain the dichotomy of Eastern vs. Western cultures and how they correlate to Penn's novel.

August 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Christine Ames

I concur with the above posts regarding Piers Morgan's rude, disrespectful interview with Penn Jillette. He did not give Penn a chance to answer questions, not to mention his continuous blaring out his ignorant, narrow-minded Christian point of view. There are many other religions, not Christian based that have a spiritual awareness, that Piers obviously doesn't have a clue about. I have never liked Piers Morgan, and after the interview with Penn Jillette, I like him less. Let the guest speak, or why have a guest? I don't really care about your point of view, Piers.....

August 18, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristina

blah blah blah Christine! so many words from your p.o.v. Maybe in the future you will realise Piers was trying to get a simple answer from a person who was trying to evade the question with words most folk don't use/understand. Please go back to watching 'reality'tube. Thanks and have a pleasant day!

August 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. April Dear

Piers Morgan came out of nowhere to act as an intellectual political/social issues/celebrity interviewer to replace Larry King. (Being a judge on a t.v. talent show is considered nowhere when you leap from there to your very own prime time show) He came out of the gate with a bang and didn't look back. Was really quite brilliant even. Suddenly, he is shooting himself in the foot a few times a fortnight. Last night he made a fool of himself trying to make Penn Jillette qualify for the Ridiculist" . I just witnessed his slaughter house interview with Christine O'Donnell. She didn't stand a chance and should have known better than to go on his show but he could have verbally beaten her up with much more grace and less smirking. Has he been taking interviewing lessons from Nancy Grace? Perhaps the worry of possibly having to return to Britain to defend some of his comments in his book "The Insider" is clouding his mind and he is not able to concentrate on the professional behavior respected television interviewers must employ. My goodness, he even shocked his big fan, Anderson Cooper – who is absolutely delightful and will surely find his adorable, uncontrolled laughing episode on You Tube tomorrow! Being an interviewer means bringing out the interesting aspects of your guest, not proving you have bigger treasures.

August 18, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Upul

Peirs brilliant show finally you are delivering the goods from all angles!
    Interview with penn juilette was just magical, nice to see piers emotionally connecting like no other interview. Superb!
    Keep it up!

August 18, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Kimberly

When will Piers Morgan realize we don't care about his opinions???!!! His opinions seem to creep into every show and he's often argumentative when his guest don't agree with him. I thought he was borderline rude to Penn Gillette! But Penn was VERY gracious and a good sport. How long must we endure this - we don't care about PIERS' opinions. We care about what his guests think and about their lives NOT HIS!! It's very hard getting used to this approach to interviewing after so many years of Larry King – who rarely if EVER interjected his opinions. It's not about you Piers – it's about your guests!!! It makes for a much more interesting interview. After years and years of spending the 9:00 Pacific time slot at CNN – I'm now off to MSNBC cuz I can't take it!

August 18, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Nikki Norris

Isn't religious faith supposed to grant people serenity? Why was Morgan so defensive, offensive and self-referent, and Gilette so calm, humorous, and, well, serene? Why did Morgan think Gilette's position was about him and his Catholicism? Morgan lost credibility when he blew his objectivity and neutrality in that really badly done interview.

August 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Ivana the Impaler

Religion is good. It helps a person develop a sense of how to live in a civilised society. For those that find solace in no deity are suffering from extreme narcissism.

August 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Silver Strathford

Sorry, but I don’t see how narcissism has anything to do with being an atheist, both are exclusive to each other. An atheist must still deal with society and thus must conform to society in order to be accepted. There are plenty of atheists that live quite happily and quite civilized in our society so I think your comment is without merit.

I for one am an agnostic, which means that I believe it’s not possible to determine whether there is a god, or creator or whether there isn’t one.

Though if I were betting man, I’d say there’s at least creation, as something must have always existed. Unfortunately, we as a race do not have the knowledge to determine what that is or isn’t and no scripture written by fallible men thousands of years ago will tell us either.

August 20, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Mark Montgomery

Christine O'Donnell is a typical tea party yahoo idiot witch. She is intellectually dishonest and incapable of being elected to any position and the public has no interest in what she thinks or does. Mark Montgomery NYC, NY boboberg@nyc.rr.com

August 20, 2011 at 5:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Greg @ David Gandy workout routine

hi!,I really like your writing very so much! percentage we be in contact more about your article on AOL? I require a specialist in this space to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking forward to look you.

July 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply