Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 29th, 2011

Mayor Cory Booker on whether Hurricane Irene was overhyped and using social media to help residents

Newark Mayor Cory Booker was a guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" this evening, and he talked about those who say Hurricane Irene was overhyped. "I've got 99 problems and that's not one," he told Piers Morgan, paraphrasing a Jay-Z song. "Those debates to me are academic we still have thousands of people without power."

Booker also discussed the use of social media to help his residents. "Social media is a tremendous tool," he said. "I can crowd source ways I could never have done a few years ago."

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. jeanniejb

Please post Mayor Booker's response to Michelle Ashen-Abraham. It was brillant!

August 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. dawn froonjian

As it was cut off in the cnn clip I would love to hear Mayor Booker’s response to Michelle Ashen-Abraham comment about God and Politicians.

August 29, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. nikita

agree i came here so i can tweet tat video... couldn't have said it better....he wasn't disrespectful at all n the sermon that not only michelle bachman but most gop n tea partyers need to hear...

August 29, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Richard Lee

MAYOR CORY A. BOOKER's response (on the 8/29 Piers Morgan broadcast) to Michelle Bachmann's statement about Irene being God's way of warning us about the deficit wasn't brilliant it was simply a rational response by a man of faith to an outrageous statement. It was however eloquent and should be repeated.

August 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Laurie in Anguilla in the Caribbean

I live on a Anguilla in the centre of hurricane alley as they pass the Caribbean, and having been through many hurricanes I can very earnestly assure you that as inclined as I was to giggle a little at all the nonstop coverage on CNN, there would be nothing less than criminally irresponsible for the authorities and the news outlets to have given this less than the attention and caution they did. All hurricanes by nature have a huge amount of unpredictability to be factored in, and you simply can not ever prepare for anything less than the worst. Once the storm has started, if things get really hairy, it's way too late to cover your a**.

August 30, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Shirley Townsend

Irene was not overhyped. Even considering the downgrading there was real danger. People that have never lived in the area do not realize how negatively rain affects NY transportation. I have been trapped at LaGuardia for hours due to the roads in and out being flooded. Then not being able to use the bridges or tunnels around NY because of the road flooding leading to them. And while I believe there was not to much coverage I do object to the over coverage for NY while under covering other areas. Then once it passed NY it was as though it dissipated. It was a though CNN only cared about what impacted them. Very light coverage or warning for what was happening in upstate New York and Vermont.

August 30, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. donna

someone think is easy but is not ..he trying to do how good is the job.so nobodi is perfect i am agree with him .when we have to do with natura is difficulta not electricity.not communication, not not not...

August 30, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. what?

I only tweeted this because at around 1:45, he mentioned my tweet about his suit :3

August 30, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. manveer

This is not about God, Religion, Politics, Calamaties, Disasters, Economy, or even Social dissatisfaction...etc.
    and I do not have any intention to offend you, Mr. Piers Morgan, but I have to say this: Please LEAVE this
    respectful void left by Larry King, because you are UNLIKABLE & UNFIT here!!! Thanks

August 30, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. dumbbell set

Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity to your submit is just spectacular and that i can think you're knowledgeable in this subject. Fine with your permission let me to take hold of your feed to keep updated with approaching post. Thanks one million and please carry on the gratifying work.

April 24, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply