Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

September 1st, 2011

Josh Groban: 'There are times you want to go out with your band and crew and party all night'

Piers Morgan's interview with Josh Groban airs tonight at 9pmET/PT, and the classical singer discusses his image – which, admittedly, is not that of a "badass." But: "I wanted a motorcycle when I was younger..at some point I'd like to get a tattoo or seven."

Still, he says he's "never done any drugs." Here's why:

Says Groban: "I'm a control freak. For me, I'm so scattered all the time without any drugs...I worry about where I'd find myself, what alleyway I'd wake up naked in if I tried anything else. But I drink on days off. I like the occasional cigar two or three times a year."

Groban says he'd like to go out more, but he can't for fear of messing up his voice. "It sucks sometimes," he says. "As a 30-year-old guy...there are times you want to go out with your band and crew, and you want to party all night."

Watch the full interview tonight, 9pmET/PT – also on the show is Frank Rich of New York Magazine.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. donna

really i like him and you are very very nice showman ...and i lovet..thank you S..frend
    (dont be scery we are very fare) for fun.....

September 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kristina

I'm relieved that Josh won't behave badly and possibly ruin his voice. What a commanding voice!

September 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Robin

I've tried repeatedly to contact Josh Groban thru his email/website regarding his concert in October in Orlando. Maybe you can help me? I had the privilege of singing to my husband (and surprising) "When You Say You Love Me" with a "Josh" fill in for my wedding 3.5 years ago. We are going to the Josh Groban concert in Orlando in October and really hoping to sing with the man himself. I know famous singers do this with local singers...it's just a matter of reaching them somehow. Would greatly appreciate your help.

September 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steven

I went to his show recently in Montreal...amazing as usual! At the beginning of the show an announcement was made inviting people to ask Josh questions via a special Twitter address. Probably at the beginning of your show too. One young lady asked him if she could join him for a duet and she brought the house down. It didn't seem arranged but who knows. She had an excellent voice and Josh seemed very impressed. Maybe if you make the request at the show, your dreams will come true.

September 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Poppy11678

Funny same thing happened in Phoenix sang the prayer thought she was too good not to be part of show

September 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kate

If you are speaking of Maude, I agree 100%. I have watched the video several times and will probably watch it many more. It is by far my favorite from his concerts thus far. It was a magical performance and her voice is so beautiful and so is she. The look on Josh's face said more than words.

September 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin Baton

At Josh's concert you will have a chance to text josh a question. At our concert he answered three and brought one person up on stage to sing. Good Luck, maybe he will pick you.

September 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nadine

As per Steven I had the same experience in Buffalo recently, a young woman texted to the number displayed at the concert and she sang The Prayer or rather portion of but did an amazing job and Josh was warm, welcoming and joking to put her at ease. Try it there and I hope all works out for you.

September 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

Sounds like a job for ellen degeneres–she has a way of making things happen for good people...try contacting her on facebook...(just a thought) good luck ! (josh is a frequent guest on her show)

September 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lee

Piers, why are you so hung up on the gay marriage issue. Why is it such a hot button for you that you feel you have to push all the time?

September 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris J

LOL Because Piers Morgan is nothing more than a tabloid hack.

September 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Valerie Vellutato

Piers, please forward my email address to Josh Groban. Love to travel the world dating him. I'm a bit older, 40 ish, lol, yet young at heart, mind and soul. Reside in AZ, with my 14 yr old daughter. As a divorced single mom I don't date a lot working full time and taking care of Jessica yet my new resolution is to start soon. Not to sure about motorcycles though, I do like them off road.

September 2, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Allison

Yeah you and every single one of his female fans. Nice try.

September 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Kevin Paisley

Groban is a class act all around. Very enjoyable interview, thanks.

September 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Emma

Josh is like the American version of Russell Watson.Funny,cute as a button and an amazing singer.Unfortunately he doesn't perform much in Scotland so I haven't seen him as much as I'd have liked to.

September 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Lynda Clarke

I have Loved Josh and his music for almost 10 years now, and I am always so happy to know he won't wind up in the tabloids for doing something crazy. He is a 1st class human being, that I will never have to apologize for loving and supporting.

September 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristen

I've enjoyed his music for the last 10 years as well, and I 110% agree with you!! He is a kind, genergous, decent person who isn't in the tabloids for trashy incidents that occur. Thank goodness for some real, honest-to-goodness talent in Hollywood!

September 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. fran nee

Keep a good job Josh...my sons and I really inspired of you...

September 6, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. CJ

Josh is an amazing talent as always. First time I ever heard him sent static sprawling up my spine in absolute amazement. Glad to know he is conscientious about caring for his acoustical and powering voice, as well as not waking up in an alley naked from drugs. Theres a lot of stray cats in those places Mr. Morgan. Some of them as mean as a werepanther! God bless J.G. and you too Piers.

September 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. haifa taji

love it :-) good for him :-) i bet his parents are so proud of him :-)

September 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Donna Moreau

I can tell Josh Grobins' voice in the dark. I listen to him in the interview...that's the best kind of "bad boy." The one wants to be but cannot be, at least in public......now he has given us women (and special men), something to think about when the lights are out......OH MY! But anyway, Josh is truly blessed to have such an extraordinary range of talent! Perhaps, he is who we need in the WHITE HOUSE, for four years....it's charisma that got Obama elected....so, you never know. I am also looking forward to his poetry contest, which I am entering soon. I also, quickly wanted to say thank-you to his mom and da for producing such a lovely, polite and gorgeous man.

September 6, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. diana calpito,

im glad to get a chance to read all that, from jost, and realy glad to hear that he is not in to anything, ilove what he said he get a cigar onec in a blu moon, lol, i been through all that whaen i was ayounger out and dringking and all, be out all the time, i think as you a little bit grown up and tired of those, you rather sometimes stay home or of course you still want to hang out once and while, i feel the same thing,i've seen you have a cutie dog, ther you go you have best man freinds, just kidding, enjoy life, my darling and i know your not a bad ass alot of people know about that you are a wonderful lovely awesome young man, awww, i didin't know that you are 30 years old, i thought you are younger than that,lol... hopefuly you the art that we send you my son art the light, to sopport you what you on your good work keep up, and love ya! best regrads and godblessed, hug and kisses from ME and my lovely Son Mikael,

September 7, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. diana calpito,

some spell it wrong i mean hopefuly you like the art that we send you, the light foundation, we sopport you on evrything love YA,

September 7, 2011 at 5:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ناديا

I found realizes it take control of the same
    I liked him, is confident man

September 7, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Adriana Perez

My sincerest congratulations to Josh Groban. Excellent in the art world so valuable and there are people with good common sense to support others to carry out worthwhile activities and give meaning to life. Hopefully that never changes and always carry in your heart the desire for good.

September 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Ava

Josh parties a lot. More than he is ever willing to admit because of his image so he lies. He also is quiet the ladies man behind the scenes.

September 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Sher

Love Josh! This is the blog I've been keeping for awhile now. Someday he'll see it and it shall be glorious http://joshgrobanlolz.tumblr.com/

September 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Honey

hey>josh..love you..i cry when I think of my father..have a great week..love, honey

September 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Andra Vong

Kendra, i went out and bought your book the day it came out. I read it all that night. We have so much in common it's not even funny. i found myself sitting there sometimes saying "me too!!!" outloud. lol i was even pathetic and cried when hank proposed in the book and when you got married. lolI admire you and i'm obviously a huge fan.Congrats on the book! Looking forward to getting your workout dvd!!!

December 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. dave (dirt65)

I have watched your duet with the music teacheer in Cleavland and Maude in Montreal. I hope with all my heart you can give their names to an honest and wonderful agent to start them off. Maude is very good and her presents is wonderfun. To be put on the spot in fromt of the people, standing with you and singing without missing a beat shows she is in the top drawer of future talent.

December 14, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply