READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For September 8, 2011 – President Barack Obama to unveil new jobs plan, Rick Perry and Mitt Romney spar over job creation, NFL season kicks of tonight...
• Obama to unveil new jobs plan tonight: "The plan President Barack Obama will announce Thursday night aimed at building jobs in a struggling economy will include a series of new reforms, White House spokesman Jay Carney told CNN Thursday. The legislation, called the American Jobs Act, will be submitted to Congress early next week, along with a provision to pay for all of the proposals, Carney said."
• Rebels say they're closing in on Gadhafi: "The days of calm that prevailed during negotiations shattered in one of Moammar Gadhafi's last bastions as loyalists fired on advancing opposition fighters, a chief interim council negotiator told CNN Thursday. Meanwhile, a spokesman for the new Tripoli Military Council said Gadhafi is cornered and has no means of escape."
• Perry, Romney spar over job creation, Social Security: "Debate newcomer Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney clashed over their job creation records, health care and Social Security at the Republican presidential debate Wednesday night. "When I came in as governor, we were in a real free-fall," Romney said. Unemployment was 4.7% when he left office, the former GOP front-runner said. Perry said his opponent had a great record creating jobs in private business, but not so much as a political leader. The Texan said he helped create 1 million jobs in a decade."
• Fashion's Galliano found guilty of making anti-Semitic comments: "Flamboyant fashion designer John Galliano was found guilty Thursday on charges of making anti-Semitic comments against at least three people in a Paris cafe. The French court gave him a suspended fine of 6,000 euros ($8,415) but he was not sentenced to jail time. The plaintiffs were awarded one symbolic euro each. Aurelien Hamelle, Galliano's lawyer, told CNN he was not surprised by the verdict."
• Saints, Packers kick of NFL season: "The Green Bay Packers host the New Orleans Saints Thursday night in a star-studded NFL kickoff game that pits the last two Super Bowl champions." The game kicks of at 8:30pm ET on NBC.
*Photo Courtesy MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter
Piers, – Love your show. Watched Rudy Giuliani last night – what a pompous rich ass!
The republicans just don't get it – they are not interested in what's good for the people, but for themselves. As I watch the American system of polictics I thank my lucky stars I'm Canadian and live in Canada. The gobal world does not trust USA, after that Wall Street and financial diaster. The fat cats filled their pockets and no jail time . I watched (HBO)the doc "Inside Job" narrated by Matt Damon – they should play that in Congress.
Hear hear on President Obama's speech! Now if we can get congress to act. As an small business owner,I agree that incentives to hire and access to working capital is needed to meet pent up demand. Previous incentives and SBA money did not go far enough. Pass that bill RIGHT AWAY!
I am your huge fan, you are daring, intelligent and very creative.
The program has been pretty serious lately, so much heavy stuff going on.
Would be nice to have Jane Fonda in your program.
Just to make things a little cooler.
Having Howard Lutnick on your show was, without a doubt, the best inerview I have heard on TV and radio. EVER. What an amazing man. However, it takes a genius to bring out the best in a person and you manage to do this with skill and sincerity. .
Notify me of new comments via email.