Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 4th, 2011

Seth MacFarlane's little known "beef" with Jon Stewart: "He was wrong not to shut his show down" during writer's strike

"Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane is a guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Wednesday at 9pmET/PT for the hour, and he talks about the 2012 election, his 9/11 connection and more. He also talks about the little known "beef" he has with Jon Stewart. It goes back to the 2008 writer's strike – something he's "never told." "It was an angry call," MacFarlane tells Piers Morgan of Stewart's response to a "Family Guy" joke. "I do think he was wrong not to shut his show down. I disagree with his actions there."

MacFarlane says Stewart should have supported those who were striking. "It is incumbent upon people in a certain position to stand up for the people who haven't made it yet," he says. Watch the full interview Wednesday at 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. donna

and i am here and watching cnn.. i will see you i don.t lose th u s

October 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Alice

Okay, I agree with Seth MacFarlane to an extent BUT Jon did support the WGA strike. He's given interviews about it and talked about it on his show. He just made the decision to go back on air because of the staff and crew who weren't getting paid while the show was off. Like a number of other shows.

October 4, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Troy

Are you kiding me.. This interview is a bunch on BS I will never watch your show again. What A bunch of CRAP. What a new low for CNN as well as you Piers!

October 4, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • caulfield

Calm down.

October 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Christopher

here:But with headlines sreiamcng of bullying in our schools I think it’s dangerous to teach our kids anything other than absolute acceptance of themselves and of each other.Am I supposed to conclude that I should be raising my children with beliefs that are different from mine. That is really offensive!What's next? Kids get bullied for being fat, should I not encourage my child to ear right and exercise or do we run our parenting decisions by the BabyCenter editorial board for a final verdict.

May 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patricia

Topher, you raise a really imnotrapt point, the loss of male non parental relationships for kids. There are three great guys at my children's after school care. They are energetic, polite, fun, and always speak to me. I try to let them know how much I appreciate them and to encourage them for what they are doing. Same thing with the other fathers and older kids at our church.Let me do the same for you, keep at it dude. Your positive relationships with kids are imnotrapt for the children and imnotrapt for our whole culture. Thanks man, your taking the time and effort is part of the solution.Trey

September 8, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ivano

Keralafarmer. Yes, the laws are pretty much clear on these sort of hate meognr articles. Be it religion or caste based hate meognring. If any writer writes such obscene articles on any news magazine, he and the publisher will be pulled in by the police. Such rules exist for blogs also. Arguments like "blog-ile prashnangal blog-iloode paranju theerkanam aasaya samvadam venam veruthe police-ine vilikkaruthu" are just college-level people's arguments. If some one feels that blogs etc. are out of bound for police and law enforcement agencies, then they are sadly mistaken. And if any one is using blog as a media to hurl abuses against any one based on caste/religion he should be stopped from doing so.

September 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ruth

Awesome posting man, I iniredcbly like the look and also the feel of this kind of blogging site. You write certainly well, you just need to be a aware guy. Will undoubtedly come back

September 10, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Doc

Joel bobbled the ball on the death penalty. He just says what people want to hear. Shame on you Joel.

October 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

Piers, you are a complete idiot. Your questions are so condecending. What a typical Liberal you are.
      I see you like the Occu-Tards too.
      You are a true foreigner in the US with that stupid english language. Why don't you talk a normal and
      decent english and start being nice to people and stop doing what your slave master tells you to say !
      You know your slave master is that criminal from Europe who runs the media -, SOROS. Obama's friend.
      What a crappy program you have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 26, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rose macaskie.

doc, do you think that seth mcfarlane approves of the death penalty and pretends not to for me it is impossible to believe anyone wants the death penalty. Do you know somthign about seth mcafarlene wothers dotn know or is it hard for you to believe anyone you like would be against it. rose macaskie madrid.

December 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mookie

The people on the left have to call out other people on the left – this is what separates the progressives from the conservatives. McFarland was right to call Stewart out on the strike – Stewart did not support the strike. There are other issues that Stewart will not even address such as the Israeli treatment of Palestinians that should be addressed by other progressives.

October 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Facts please

It was well known that Stewart opened his shop to the union long completely willingly. It's also known that he *did* shut the show down because as a viewer, I did not see them on the air until about two weeks before the strike. And that there were segments when the show restarted (to keep his producing/camera staff from losing everything) where he actually did segments with his own writers on strike. Then part of the resolution of the strike was that he and his producers would be considered part of the union. Seth McFarlane probably has more of an issue with Stewart's politics, than what happened on the strike. Because the facts don't bear McFarlane out. And mookie – Stewart *has* covered the palestinian/israeli issue – which you would know if you watched the program.

October 5, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chief

If you are looking for facts, listen to the interview again. Morgan states twice that the episode in question was a live broadcast during the strike. Oops... I think that was a fact coming to bite you...although you would not recognize it.

October 7, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pascal

Actually you have a lot more rights then that, most polpee just don't understand them because they don't tell you.What you have provided is a sales pitch from the Florida handbook for parents or something.

June 30, 2012 at 3:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Anna

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to aissst with SEO? I92m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I92m not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share. Cheers!

September 9, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Behonest

First time check out 'Morgan' to see what his show is all about. Is that the kind of show he is running on CNN these days? He is not interviewing, he is trying to dig up a debate which has already been made amends from both side. Morgan acts like a bully in this case by using Seth's disadvantage. I really thought you had something good going on Morgan. Sad sad show indeed!

October 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. jcalton

Just look at the teaser stories up top. They are all about conflict and gossip. It tells you everything you need to know about whether this show is intended to be informative or a ratings grab.

October 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. LaLa

In defense of Jon Stewart (though I do love Seth MacFarlane so) his writers WERE on strike during the tapings of those shows during the weeks of the wrtier's strike. I was friends with a (part-time) worker on the show and we would watch the show to see how funny or unfunny the content was and were always disappointed. As much as I admire and adore Jon Stewart, he certainly doesn't do it alone and supported his writers for fighting for a just cause. If you go back to those shows you can see a marked difference in quality. The day the writers returned the show was back to its old self and hilarious once more. Which gave me a whole new appreciation for the amazing work his writers do. He was contractually obligated to do his job – it's a job and someone has to fill the hours. He wasn't being disrespectful or flippant at all. I admit I don't know which bit on Family Guy to which Mr. MacFarlane was referring but I'm actually surprised Jon was that angry about it... very interesting in all.

October 25, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rose macaskie.

I think I touched the report abuse button instead of the reply button.
      La La, I liked Jons show while the writers were away. Don't want to do for his writers or anything but I was proud of him for being so good without the writers.
      Seth MCFarland did not seem to have been the one to bring this up, it was Piers, spoiling for a fight I suppose or wanting to scare jon stewart off something or other. Piers has some good socially responsable shows and some touches of your pushy shovey scandal reporter, I hope he comes out on the first side more and more often, he is really good on justice and beign anti those who ride over others rough shod, those who shove too much, when that side of him is foremost.
      I dont much like Piers attacking Jon, Jon has fought a lot of important battles for humanity, for the islamic world for example, Piers does not touch his shoe laces yet, has a long way to go to do so. To attack the usefull is irresponsible, maybe it keeps them going though.
      Don't complain about his accent, think how often the English have to listen to American accents with the American supremacy in films being what it is. I am so used to an American accent that I cant hear the difference any more. I cant believe anyone finds Piers accent different from the American ones, not from the American newscasters accent anyway. rose macaskie madrid.

December 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Robi

Hey very nice blog!!. Thank you for posting this, It’s just what I was broiswng on bing. I’d very much rather hear opinions from an individual, rather than a corporate web page, that’s why I like blogs so much. Thanks! outstanding fantastic.[]

June 30, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Carlos

Fantastic piece of writing toegehtr with convenient that will understand story. How do That i set about gaining agreement that will put up part within the article in doing my coming bulletin? Offering good credit ranking to your any source toegehtr with weblink into the web page will not manifest as a challenge.[]

June 30, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Luz

Good blog. I got a lot of good information. I92ve been waitnchg this technology for awhile. It92s intriguing how it keeps shifting, yet some of the core components remain the same. Have you seen much change since Google made their latest acquisition in the area?

September 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. aajer

Seth............what self satisfied a jerk!

October 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ana

Government Waste, Fraud and Abuse Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff piuerovs to and you're just extremely fantastic. I really like what you've acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more Government Waste, Fraud and Abuse again from you. Thanks For Share .[]

May 21, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. John1349

Very nice site!

November 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. John792

Very nice site!

November 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Dan

Why did you not tear apart SETH MCFARLAND and see what the hell he is doing with the 100 million he makes
    every year?????? You two faced liar. Instead you attack JOEL and his Wife when they make only 18 million a year.
    You are such a total idiot. Liberal Occu-Tard,

November 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Abdul

- I just love the curls and beautiful big eyes and of csuroe that chair just ROCKS! Thank you for reminding us to share the blog love I always need a reminder to let others know I actually frequent their blogs. October 24, 2008 7:28 pm

May 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Geetanjali

I wanted to thank you for your thguohtful coverage in regards to Penn State. I'm not surprised that Biden was so informed, his father has written and sponsored some of the most important legislation in this regard. I listened to Jimmy Williams, and his past earlier today. That took a lot of courage. Its a thankless task, and its very stressful to talk about these things, however, just hearing some responsible media coverage, that means a lot. keep up the good fight.

June 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Piers CrookMorgan

Only just come across this video, how did Piers know about the phone argument? Phone tapping possibly? Piers Morgan is a disgrace to the UK and to journalism.

November 6, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse | Reply