Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 7th, 2011

Gerard Butler says if he hadn't switched careers "I don't think I would be alive today"

Actor Gerard Butler is a guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" this evening, and the "Machine Gun Preacher" star talks about his early, hard-partying life. "I don't think I would be alive today, to be honest," Butler tells Piers Morgan. "I was living my life in a very unhealthy way, and I...needed to be stopped."

His mother is now very happy with his career (even if she had initially wanted him to be a lawyer). "She loves it. It gives her a chance to do her performing."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. glen walters

I believe that most politicians are to dumb and corrupt to make a coherrent decision about anything. Subject: Are all congressman greedy, corrupt dumb-asses that don't want to really solve our problems

Subject: solving SS and medicare/medicaid

SOLVING SOCIAL SECURITY IS A NO BRAINER, JUST REMOVE THE CAPS LEAVING A DONUT HOLE FROM THE PRESENT CAP $106,000 TO(say) $456,000 THEN REMOVE THE CAPS AT LEAST UP TO $10 MILLION. IF THAT DON'T WORK , TAKE IT ALL THE WAY UP. I believe reforming medicare is not nuclear science. I believe the answer lies in the health care reform bill. Many of the health care reform items are already part of Medicare. Pre existing conditions, caps, cancellations etc. The government is paying to much to private contractors which need to be eliminated. For an example I have a Medicare advantage plan from Anthem. I pay a 0 premium, just the $96.00 per month from my social security. But the catch is , Medicare gives Anthem My $96.00 plus up to $800.00 additional to handle my account which cost the medicare plan Billions every year.First of all , I would make all medicare recipients medicare advantage recipients and handle the accounts through Medicare, including drug coverage. i.e. everyone Medicare type C using one the Medicare Advantage plans as a guide line. I would also set up a special division in medicare and medicaid funded to handle the more catastrophic medicare and medicaid patients. i.e. take the more seriously ill of line. On the prescription drug benefit of my medicare advantage plan , Anthem pays less then $10.00 a year. The pharmacy supplies the drugs I need for $10.00 for a 90 day supply of generic drugs which is cheaper then my copay of $21.00 for 90 days supply. I believe with a like plan set up for under 65 would be good with a single premium and a family plan insuring children up to 27 years old. This would be what we call the public option and would be available in the federal exchange which is already law. The key is weeding out the catastrophic member of the plan into a special plan where we can study what is the best way to treat them and pay for it and better control the waste and fraud in that category. The Government needs to purchase drugs in bulk like the VA and supply clinics in all counties of the US. I am sick and tired of protecting the top 1% and then saying to the other 99% that you don't count. You know who you are. its not complicated. In the end I believe that combining VA, Medicare, Medicaid and the National health reform under one
    umbrella combining buying power like Canada's the long run answer. Everyone having a modest premium. The Public option would replace some programs. Separating long term illnesses from all the other health programs. Clinics in every U.S. county would be a must. VA patients would be able to see a local doctor or Clinic. State Government would pay the co-pays for now medicaid patients who would have a Federal policy like everyone else which premium would be subsidized by Federal Government.

October 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Aine NiAonasa

Piers Morgan,
    "Irish moments" Is it necessary make associations with the Irish when you refer to drinking alcohol? You are just reinforcing the stereotypes of the drunken Irish and continuing the age old pattern of English people insulting people of Irish decent.
    Gerard Butler is clearly an educated person who has interesting things to say. Please leave out the insults, Piers Morgan

October 8, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. tilzey

Gerry left booze behind so long ago that talking about it now is revealing that this talk show guy and his research staff don't do a good job. Gerry is incredibly interesting at all phases of his life, but I'd bet that Butler would rather talk about his last 5 years than 15 years ago.

October 8, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Vanessa

This interview could seriously have been conducted better. The manner in which Piers Morgan conducted this interview is atrocious. He was disrespectful starting off with all the dirt he and his staff have found on Gerard Butler. I don't know what the point of all of it was, except to confirm that their Google research is true. It is as if they didn't trust their sources. And also, it seems Piers Morgan was just abusing his privileges as a host to get as much of the dirt he could. It's just a good thing he failed at it. Because all the things Gerard Butler said was the same things he said with every other mediocre interviews he was involved in.

I can't wait until CNN get rid of Piers Morgan. He is just so tactless. He thinks he is suave, sophisticated, and clever, but really is not.

October 8, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rebecca

Vanessa, Couldn't agree more.

October 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • christian

that's what I thought until I spoke to some English people, and they said thats English humor, that's English talking, so I think when he has british guests on he conducts himself a little different, you didn't see Gerry freaking out.. he was laughing the hole time because to him, it's customary!

October 10, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • rose macaskie.

Ulyssis junior you can be lots of things but in the fullness of time some people manage to be famouse poets at twenty but their example ids depressign you have to be hard working and have lots of courage to continue doing somehting others call silly for years but if you do write every day you will probably get somewhere and have time to do somthing else, maybe you should join a poetry blog or forum or some such it helps a lot to be sort of with others who are interested in the same thing. rose macaskie madrid.

October 9, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • alice

i'm from the uk, and i'm on your wavelength. the guy is so far up himself. unreal. he's not that popular over here either, which i think is why he's giving the US a go.

January 25, 2012 at 3:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Esther

Despite Piers Morgan's focus on airing Gerard Butler's "dirty laundry," I commend Butler's appropriate self-disclosure regarding his own reckless past. and how he used it to develop the role of the main character in "Machine Gun Preacher." Piers Morgan did not need to probe to the extent that he did in this interview.

October 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ULISSE JUNIOR POET OF LOVE

MY NAME ULISSES JUNIOR MY SOMH FAMOUS POET OF LOVE HELP ME IM FACEBOOK IM YOUTUBE HELP ME I ASK ALL THE CELEBRITIES AROUND THE WORLD WHO HELP ME TO BE A POET WELL KNOWN IN THIS WORLD AN MY GREAT DREAM OF MY LIFE WITHOUT HIM MY LIFE HAS NO MEANING THAT REASON THEY ASK IN THE NAME OF LOVE HELP ME TO BE A FAMOUS POET. ULISSES JUNIOR HELP ME HELP ME

October 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Rebecca

I keep hoping Piers Morgan will settle down as an interviewer, but he continues to disappoint. His interviewing syle is rough as he continuously interrupts his guests and doesn't let them finish their answers. He is a bully–trying to get guests involved in controversies. Perhaps Piers will watch Anderson Cooper's special on bullying. Hopefully, it will be instructive. Please, Mr. Morgan, show your guests the respect they deserve. You are coming off as a very arrogant, insensitive person. I imagine you can do better.

October 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Angel

Did I really hear Gerard Butler say that being arrested for drunk driving was something silly. I hope I misunderstood. I was just hit by a drunk driver. I don't think it was a silly thing at all !!

October 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deb

Yes Angel. I had the same reaction and hopefully MADD will say something about this.

October 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. David Garner

GOD probably drove a space ship and probably won't visit us again in our lifetime. If he or she or it did comeback in our lifetime and saw how we have abused our resources there might very well be some kind of extinction of the human race just to save what is left. I don't think It would be called rapture. Probably more like carnage or plague or something. Religion is only a power struggle between the do's and don'ts.
    David A. Garner
    Angeles Entertainment
    Port Angeles, WA

October 10, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dave cole

Ole piers is a communist!

October 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Elwood Szabo

Butler’s most recent role, in the based-on-a-true-story feature Machine Gun Preacher, is complicated: Butler plays real-world church leader and impromptu military leader Sam Childers, who overcame his past as a drug dealer and addict to found a church in Pennsylvania and an orphanage in Sudan, where he’s openly led military missions to stop raids by Joseph Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army, and rescue child captives and child soldiers. (Childers is also touring in support of Machine Gun Preacher; we spoke to him and the movie’s screenwriter in a separate interview.) The A.V. Club recently spoke to Butler about playing a real-world figure, dealing with downtime, and the funny side that got him into rom-coms.:

Please do view our new blog
    <'http://www.prettygoddess.com