Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 19th, 2011

Herman Cain's battle with cancer: "Because of my faith, I wasn't afraid"

Many know Herman Cain as the surging GOP candidate with the 9-9-9 plan. Tonight during his hour-long interview with Piers Morgan, people will learn about the Herman Cain that many do not know – like about his battle with cancer.

"What went through my mind was, 'OK, lord, if this is it, thank you for this wonderful life,'" he says. "I just pray that I don't suffer. But when she told me I had a 30 percent chance of survival, I had to start thinking, 'Well, maybe this is it.' But because of my faith, I wasn't afraid." Watch the emotional, hour-long interview tonight, 9pmET/PT.

> Find out more about Cain and cancer here.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Nani

We were told by scientific study to eat 5 types of fruits to prevent cancer. Now we know "Fruit diet won't fight cancer,"

Faith and prays don't prevent Cancer, lets get real and start doing the wisdom dance. Our leaders, wana to be leaders and media sure can do with some.
    What did Anderson Cooper think of these clowns? You could do a show on this alone. Herman Cain why cant you stay home and enjoy your family?

October 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charles

Given that Anderson Cooper is a far left liberal, would you think he would have anything other than negative thoughts?

October 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jane

What "clowns"? Are you talking about Barack Obama and Joe Biden?
      by the way, isn't a "moderator" of a debate supposed to police the rules of the debate? Why did Mr. cooper let the exchange go on between Mr. Perry and Mr. Romney, despite the debate rules being broken? It appears that a moderator was not necessary after all.

October 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • steveinmo

That's because they first would have to get a moderator that's competent and Cooper doesn't qualify. Frankly nobody I've seen on CNN qualifies, they're only a step removed from the basement called MSNBC.

October 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tom

Let me tell, if I have cancer, I'm going to pray. If I even skate with a pre-cancerous biopsy result, I'm going to pray. That said, HC is not afraid to die, because he has led a life that apparently brings him closer to his Higher Power, the God of his understanding. No, faith and prayer do not prevent cancer. But faith and prayer do comfort us, allow us to let go, move forward, and grow from the experience. Why would you want to take that away from anyone? I don't.

October 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Raul Mayer-Reinach

good evening Mr. Morgan. I like your program and as a europen i would like to ask you for a favor .

Every body in this world today is able to view CNN and now to my point why dont your coleauges understand that America is brocke they keep on asking this posible disastrus candidates about jobs and do not understand that you cant just make them like a magician the world is waching what is going on and all of us and you are seen as iresponsable peolple do you think that any body out there is able to do a mirakle ? the whole mess strated here in this country and no where else and it has to be resolved here with good and profesional work and not with 46 milion of people geting frood stamps do something positive and report to the world the right things rehards R MR

October 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Erika

I wish Piers would have just let Herman answer the questions instead of trying to always interrupt him. I'm not a Republican, but I would have wanted to hear his complete responses and assess the man's platform critically and objectively. Instead, Piers just kept trying to interject his opinions and be this witty interviewer, trying to make Herman appear incapable. I couldn't stand the condescending tone of the interview. I hope someone more credible like Wolf Blitzer or Anderson Cooper would re-interview him. I think that would be fair.

October 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Luke

Erika, you're right on the money. I would like Piers to do a count of the number of times he interrupted or stepped on the responses to political, religious, etc., questions. He seems to think he is the hallmark of correct political opinions. Remember, everyone has ideas, few people think.

October 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. John

Piers. Watching your interview with Herman Cain. Maybe you should let the gentleman answer your questions instead of interrupting him. There is value in knowing when to talk and when to listen. If you truly want your listeners to learn something, let him answer the question.

October 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sue croft

can you get Piers allow his guests to answer their questions. it is so annoying.

October 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mary

I wish that when you ask a question you would let your guest answer without cutting them off. I love your show, but that makes me want to immediately turn the channel . It seems as though every time a thought crosses your mind, you can't wait to get it out.

October 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. BOLBASO.

GOOD EVENING PIERS ,, MY VIEW ON THE ISREALLI PRIME MINISTER , IS THAT HE IS PREPARING HIMSELF FOR WAR , IT IS BETTER FOR HIM TO RID HIMSELF OF THE ENEMY WITHIN , AND WASH HIS HANDS OF THEM COMPLETELY , BUT IF THEY INSISTS ON ATTACKING ISREAL AGAIN ,, AS THEY ARE PLANNING , THEN HE WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DESTROY THEM ALL .

October 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Donna

Why has no one asked Herman Cain how he plans to ride in on his high horse and do anymore than Obama? He says he will put people in place that can do their job so that he doesn't have to micromanage. He doesn't get to pick who is in congress! He can only do what congress will agree to do. Does anyone else have a problem with his grammar??? The last time we had a president with poor grammar, everytime he spoke he was made fun of all around the globe!

October 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jane

I'd rather endure some bad grammar than continue to endure a President who is full of himself, and who has a habit of sticking his nose in the air when speaking to a group. It looks like he wants to be superior to everyone else.

October 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jake

Talk about corruption – how about exploring the relationship between FreddieMac and VRM (Vendor Resource Management) and how VRM became the first exclusive inhouse vendor for Freddie. Then the person responsible at Freddie for bringing VRM in then becomes the president of VRM... sounds VERY fishy to me... I should know I worked there...

October 19, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jal

Thank you, I've tried to explain this to folks.

October 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. carol

piers is more than a jerk – he is so proud of being a jerk

October 19, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jane

So why shouldn't people be protesting outside of the White House, Piers?
    You know very well that if the President sitting in the White House right now were a Republican, that that is exactly where all those protesters would be.
    It is sort of like the anti-war left. they were very vocal and very visible when George Bush was in office, but mysteriously disappeared the day that a Democrat, Barack Obama, took over the management of those wars (and new conflicts as well). A Democrat President will never be protested by the left, no matter what he/she does or how badly they are doing their job.

October 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. SaneOne

The Morgan – Cain interview, I'm really enjoying it so far & it may end up to be Piers’ best so far. As the interviewer, he has to be abrupt & interrupt the guest. Still, its good, honest, non-threatening, open & frank discourse coming out. I’d vote for both of them if they were on my ballot next year! Our country needs more sincere leaders like these 2 pro's. Our current crop of political leaders(?) cannot be trusted, and must be voted out in order for our great country to start advancing once again. Anarchists should not hold political office in our country. But Cain & even Piers could be productive, in my opinion.

October 19, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Pappy Pipes

At least Herman Cain is candid... He loathes his own kind, plus muslims, gays, and just about anyone else who isn't a white Republican. Herman Cain is a hater and a terrible goody to shoes. I have no doubt if he ever attained power, which I'm confident he won't, he would run America like a fascist.

October 19, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Darrell

Herman Cain said he did not get involved in the civil rights movement because the height of the movement was in the late 50's early 60's,,, He said he graduate high school in 1963 and he was to young to get involved ...Martin Luther king died in 1968 Malcolm x died in 1965 Collage students played a strong role in the movement through out the 60's....What the hell was he doing in Collage..He such a Uncle Tom

October 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Emanuel

Herman Cain overcame by accomplishment in the face of adversity. I've seen the photo's of the crowds in the civil rights protest. It is clear there were not 15-20 million black folks out there. Some are called for protest and sit in's while others needed to follow there calling. The example of Herman Cain speaks as loud or louder to would be racist or doubter's. He shows that despite racism and poverty upward mobility was possible. My own heart has been changed by personal encounters with such men and women. I don't agree with all his policies but to balance with congress and the judiciary I'll take Herman Cain. He is exactly the opposite of the political class there.

October 19, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Charles Darnell

I Think it was a shame you let Herman Cain sit there and tell you that black barber's cut hair in a white barber shop in the 60's black baber's did not even know how to cut white hair in those day's, mr.cain really know how to grin a nd lie, he was not in high school he was in his second year of collage. he talks a good old boy's game he does not have the intrest of the middle class ,black people do not stand a chance if he elected or any one that is not rich he nothing but a pawn he would put black's back 50 year's , he will be 100 time's worst that bush he a wolf in sheep's clothing he say's he proud of his color as a black man but he is not the man that he say's he is he really running to crush the middle class and to push the black race back ,and by the way this comment is from a man of the white race it just can't stand a fake he mean the poor man no good at all that man will make it hard for low income poeple with a smile on his face .

October 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Deb

Piers please do your homework in regard to the Occupy Wall Street movement. Please do not refer to us as jobless and homeless people. On your show with Herman Cain you both referred to us as as jobless and/or homeless. That is only some of us. We are the people below the 1%. We are the ones that have lost money in our 401K, experienced health care increases and flat out watched bankers get away with murder. We fear loosing our jobs and becoming homeless! Thanks

October 19, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Marvin

Piers, you've been constantly interrupting Herman Cain. I want to hear him, not you.

October 20, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Juliet

Herman Cain has just said that he believes it is not his job to tell families what to do in terms of abortion and that ultimate it comes down to what they choose to do as a family. Doesn't that make him pro-choice?

October 20, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Elli

H. Cain tells Piers that government should not interfere with a woman's decision regarding abortion. And this is his reason for government banning abortion. ugggh.

October 20, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. cin

After watching Piers Morgan interview Herman Cain tonight I will no longer watch Piers's interviews. He interrupts, interjects his own opinions, and twists the facts.

October 20, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • scon

Both Morgan and Cain strike me as angry men.

October 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Beld

The more I watch Piers Morgan the more I enjoy and appreciate him. I’m quite fond of the man he represents himself to be on his show. I believe he's a man for the people. I think he is very pleasant and very likeable and yet he is still able to call people out on their stuff. At the start I wasn't sure but now I'm a huge fan of Piers Morgan.

October 20, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Sharon

Herman Cain is refreshingly honest, and I share his faith in God. This is the first time I've gotten to hear him extensively, and I can see why he has risen in popularity among the Republican candidates. He experienced an awesome healing, and yes, Jesus still heals today. Our country is in such a crisis, only divine intervention and elected officials that will follow His wisdom can get us out of the mess we've gotten ourselves into and onto the right path again. We need more honest and clear-thinking men like Herman Cain. If he and Ron Paul ran together, I would definitely vote for their ticket! Thanks for the interview.

October 20, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karen

Gross. Just so you know some of us don't believe in Jesus.

October 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Karen

and if you watched the interview, Cain said that he thinks Paul is the least capable of being POTUS. why do you think he would choose him as his running mate if he doesn't think he should be Pres., after all VP is second in line..

October 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mike

Piers – You are in definate need of therapy!! Get a black board, and write, "The Tea Party is Racist", 500 times, now say it out loud 500 times, get it out of your system. You seem to be obsessed with this just because Morgan Freeman, Harry Belafonte, and Sean Penn see racists behind every bush doesn't mean it is true. Cain was right, the percentages of racists in the Tea Party are probably about the same as the general public.
    Obama's election proves it. Rational people don't like Obama because he is a leftist radical community organizer who is way over his head. He doesn't know what he is doing. His color has nothing to do with it, grow up Piers!!.

October 20, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. rufus1133

You let Cain skate. He said obama is 50% responsible for our troubles in the economy? You should have asked, if the economy was so great under bush why did he start the bail outs. we are now dealing with the fact that the gop didn't care about spending or debt then. Only now they need a fall guy for their criminality.

In regards to williams tonight. Don't let him skate too, crying about race all day. The reason people dislike him is he is o'reilly's pet. Anything o'reilly tells him to say he will. He takes money, claiming to represent democrats and african americans, only to sabotage and bad mouth them at every turn.

October 20, 2011 at 5:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Reese

Mr. Cain said he was too young to participate in the civil rights movement. For the record, I graduated from hign school in 1965. I participated in the March on Washington and have been involved since then. I never felt I was too young. In light of the many challenges we faced and still face, I felt it was my responsibility to be and remain involved.

October 20, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Brandywine

You've got to be kidding me—it's so tarpnsarenlty clear now!

November 12, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. itwtaujx

krKhko rfihxuixxpgd

November 13, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. npjvnpp

AFxyCt plgdeepoawno

November 15, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Broadcast News Online

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with almost all vital infos. I'd like to see more posts like this .

April 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply