Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 20th, 2011

Clips From Last Night: Herman Cain on the tea party, racism, growing up and more

Surging GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain was a guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" last night, and opened up about all things political and personal. Cain talked about racism and the tea party. "My experience has been, there is no more a racist element in the tea party than there is in the general population at large," he said. "This is the biggest misperception."

Cain also discussed why he says "Black" and not "African American" and what his "calling" is:

Said Cain: "I identify as a 'black American' more so than an 'African American.' Yes, many of the slaves came from Africa, but my heritage is mostly here, in the United States."

Cain discussed his "calling": "My calling is to make a difference. And I have done this all my life...It took 12 years for this journey to unfold."

In the above video, he also commented on other GOP candidates in the field. Of Rep. Michele Bachmann and Gov. Rick Perry, he said: "When I listen to their answers to questions, most of the time they get off track."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Alex Bell

Herman Cain interview the most biased I've seen. I'm a Democrat who's watched King & replacement Morgan for years. Morgan has had by far the most interesting guests. But his constant interruption & talking over guests who are speaking of really interesting things has become too annoying. I'm there to hear the guests, not Piers. He squanders valuable time insisting on his questions when the guests are being cogent & concise. Tonight's dismissal of Cain as the "pizza man" while never mentioning his amazing academic and professional accomplishments as a techno whiz & turnaround guy for Pillsbury's collection of companies, was outright misleading. Instead he wastes a really valuable minute insisting on following up on Cain's use of the word "impressive" second in his Senatorial race. And how about his letting Morgan Freeman get away with carping that Republicans have vowed to make Obama a one term as evidence that their racusts. Never once asked him if it couldn't be about his policies, which is what a nonbiased person would assume. Made me wish I were a registered Repbulican so I could vote for Cain in the primary. Other non political guests are constantly interrupted with his questions I'm screaming at my TV "shut up & let him talk." I'll no longer waste my time on a program that I know is censors and distorts the facts.

October 20, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christy Cosgrove

I could not agree more. I was a longtime watcher of Larry King myself, and I was looking forward to seeing Morgan take over the show. This was a disgusting and rude display, designed to do nothing but make Herman Cain look bad and it failed. I am more sure than ever that this man is the real deal. Grace under pressure? You bet. CNN should be ashamed at this biased and desperate attempt to mock him, his beliefs, and his ideals, which the majority of Americans happen to agree with. I was completely turned off by Mr. Morgan's performance here and I, for one, will never watch again.

October 20, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jackie Allen

Piers Morgan was rude and a total disaster in conducting his interview with Herman Cain. He NEVER allowed Mr. Cain to finish a sentence and constantly interrupted him. He owes him an apology and should apologize to the American public for such a biased display. It was in no way an interview...it was Piers trying to belittle an intelligent front runner in the race for the Republican nomination for President. CNN should offer a public statement and denounce his behavior as a commentator.

October 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jack Allen

Did he frown and curl his lips in anger the way he did to Rep. Connie Mack in August over the debt ceiling debate?

October 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. IKHAN

Are these GOP 'front runners ' all the that we were able to produce as future leaders of the free world?
    The latest GOP debate in las vegas showcases the paucity of caliber that these aspiring 'leaders' suffer from.
    Strait jacketed in their beliefs, twisted ideology, biases etc., they have no clue to the world beyond our borders or indeed where this country is headed. Lack of vision, intellect & detachement from the reality of a changing world is what they bring to our political scene.

October 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • steveinmo

Ikhan, I'll agree their behavior at the LV debate left a lot to be desired, but one thing I disagree with you on is the statement of ideology. Perhaps you should consider it's your ideology, having to be PC and everything socially acceptable that is twisted and perverted.

The reality is that the truth has been turned on it's head, right has been made wrong, and wrong has been made right. So who's views are twisted here?

October 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Don Batten

Really Mr.Cain ? Why would anyone choose to be Gay ?
    We have to let go of the hate, the lifestyle is not a choice. Gay kids are born gay into a society that is fighting them to have basic civil rights. With any luck they will have half the population of a dozen states accept them, but no country. We have been burning the message of gay shame for generations thru media, religion, our culture, and parents in some cases. Every day school chilldren hear people like you express that we as a country, are NOT united in accepting them. The fact that the Presidential Candidate in 2012 is not aware of this is very revealing.
    To start to realize as a 12-14 year old boy, the bullys are right, I'm gay, society can beat you down (literally in some cases), and President Cain verbally. Is it any wonder ? Really ? Its the same rhetoric we heard growing up.
    Coming from the anti-accepting Politicians, the anti-gay movement who will fight these kids to death not to marry the person they love. YOU are feeding the Bully. We all know the Bully is not in the child, its in our culture.

October 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • SOMA

I'm not surprised at your racism against someone with a different opinion.
      After living in the SF Bay, being in the SOMA club scene, and living in Oaktown for 1/3 of my life I can testify the so-called "Gay" community isn't as racially inclusive as the Midstream Media would like you to believe. Most of the boyz and grrls are Middle Class WHITEs who go after other Middle Class WHITES.
      Most are cool, but just like ANY other segment of society, some might as well be nazi skinheads.

October 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jason

We also don't have to agree with your perverted ways, which means we don't expect them to be forced on us, or especially taught to our children, against our will, simply because the "State" believes it's in their best interests. The state, nor you filthy sodomites know what's in the best interest of my children, so what's your true agenda? Only to futher pervert society to allow your filthy ways.

What happened to the so-called tolerance on your side, to keep quiet? We don't want to hear about it. Try living as we and Mr. Cain spoke of, in the privacy of your own bedroom. Don't drag your bedroom affairs and trash out for us to see. Decency is all we ask from you. If you can't do that – then go back in the closet.

October 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. PrometheusMing

Force the candidates to answer this question:

IF Roe v. Wade is overturned and abortion is made illegal, WHAT will the punishment be for A. women who get an abortion and B. Doctors and staff who perform an abortion?

Then wait for the look. It will come. That look of shear stupidity as some blurt out – DEATH, Or of confounded confusion while most just freeze and stare like a dear in the headlights.

October 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Name*selam

Poor Cain he is a lost soul and if u think u going win keep dreaming. u don't even know who u r. those people cheering u up its just for entertainment.

October 22, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Anti Aging Treatments|Thai HGH Treatments|Human Growth Hormone Treatments|

The following time I learn a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I do know it was my option to read, but I really thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could possibly fix in case you werent too busy searching for attention.

April 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Naushad

The polls aren't to be trusted and I say this beausce i check out the polls @ realclearpolitics.com atleast once a week.Right up to September, any poll about a candidate was inaccurate beausce they kept Sarah Palin and Gulliani in the polls as candidates. Last time I checked, they weren't running. Following this, an approximate average of those polled are undecided. Its a banana phone lead

November 10, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joaquin

The other two candidates who come to mind are Gary Johnson and, God help us, Ron Paul. Paul is retelpodry running a strong, well-organized grassroots campaign in Iowa; it's quite possible he'll significantly outperform expectations. If Gingrich and Romney destroy each other in Iowa and Paul sneaks by to a first or second-place finish, he could become the new flavor-of-the-month.Johnson has never really managed to get his campaign off the ground, but what little I know about him I like. If I were a religious man I'd be praying for him to become the next not-Romney, but I just don't see it happening.

November 10, 2012 at 3:34 am | Report abuse | Reply