Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 25th, 2011

Piers Morgan previews tonight's town hall: "Want to get to the heart and soul" of Occupy Wall Street

Piers Morgan was a guest on CNN Newsroom with Randi Kaye this afternoon to talk about tonight's "Occupy Piers Tonight" town hall with Michael Moore – and a live studio audience. "I want to get to the heart and soul of what Occupy Wall Street is all about," said Piers. "What kind of stories do they have?"

But we don't want to only hear from the 99%. "Maybe you work in Wall Street and you're fed up with these protests and believe they are unfair," Piers said. Besides questions from the audience, you can also tweet your questions to Moore during the show by using the #OccupyPiersTonight hashtag tonight, 9pmET.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Jerry

When 1% of our population own 99% of wealth they also own and control the Republican Party.
    http://postpingprofit.com Red herring Red herring GOP at its Best!

October 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

It's 40%, not 99%

October 25, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Tr1Xen

Thank you!

October 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

Where did you come up with these stats? Not even close. The top 1% are those that make around $365,000 per year or more with the average 1% earning just under $1M / year. Wall Street wage earners are less than 6% of this total also.

The real fact is that the wealth distribution of the top is about the same as it has been for over 100 years.

Jealously is not a good reason to abandon capitalism. Maybe you all just need a kick in the ass and get out there and work harder and educate yourself better.

October 25, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Justaminit

What a smug response. I have a Ph.D. and I make a good living, but many can not for various reasons. Maybe you need a kick in the ass to wake you up. I don't mind paying taxes to help others, because I appreciate the opportunities that I had here (which seem to be disappearing). I am a Viet Nam veteran. I worked my way through college and graduate school, Gary. I paid my school loans. I am an example of the American Dream Tea Party boy.

October 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • josh

justaminit; you said it you worked your way through college and paid off your student loans. these freeloaders want their debt forgiven, and money not matter if they work. sound like some dream. losers

October 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • defheff

Capitalism eventually leads to imperialism.

October 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan, TX

Capitalism is wonderful. But when capitalism is perverted by market manipulation and fraud, economic and political upheaval can result. When capitalism is subverted by unfair practices, wealth becomes concentrated in the hands of a few barons. One country can control this, but when a small number of corporations control large chunks of the news media, the financial sector, natural resources, and the manufacturing sector, no one can stop them. Fortunately, there is no group smart enough or clever enough to pull off such a scheme, so we don't have to worry.

October 25, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • marty rogers

this has nothing to do with envy, my comrade. It has to do with Wall street investment bankers making a mockery out of capitalism with market manipulation, inside trading, bribing of politicians and most importantly tanking the economy of the WORLD with subprime mortgage derivatives. If these people acted morally,ethically, and legally nobody would care. But the fact is that being a millionaire is no longer good enough. Now they have to own the budget of a small country and if they have to screw the pensions of millions of americans, some close to retirement, cause a credit freeze and the worst recession since the great depression they dont care. These people need to come clean with what they did, spend time in jail and pay back investors and pension holders that lost everything for any of us to ever respect them again. Oh and they need to get their filthy greedy hands of politics, and of the media.

October 25, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kaiviertel

Work harder... hehe. Yea, all of you that "work hard" make it in a capitalist system. I gotta argue with you man, there is no scale for "hard work and deserving pay". Our capitalist system does not reward hard work, it rewards the shareholders. Our political system does not reward hard working small businesses, it rewards (by means of subsidies and tax breaks) large corporations. I do not know of one hard working middle class American that has been helped by our current system, so... before you tell other peeps to learn something or "work harder", take your head out of your a$$ first.

October 25, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Peter

You need to get your facts straight, Gary. Wishful fantasies are not facts. And you are way, way off. People who you call freeloaders and lazy are no such thing. They did not have the same opportunities that you and I had. But you'd need a brain transplant to even start to understand that.

October 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Not a Job Creator

Jealousy isn't it. How about tax evation. As one example... If I could take my vehicle off my taxes as a business expense BUT use it for personal use mostly AND have it be part of my total compensation without paying taxes on it first, that would be great....but I'm not a Job Creator so I can't. Close the loopholes that allow this and the Job Creators would start paying more... JobCreatorsMyAss.com explains what so many just don't understand.

October 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • BBrown

Finally–the voice of reason.

October 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bob

Where did you come up with your stats? They're equally wrong. The distribution has markedly changed in the last decade, according to the IRS, the top 1% has seen their income double while the average effective taxes have halved. For people below, their income has fallen and their taxes have either stayed the same or risen.

October 25, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • JamesB

Well said.

October 25, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Violet

THE DAYS OF 'PULL YOURSELF UP BY YOUR BOOTSRAPS' ARE OVER. MY GENERATION ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT EACH OTHER, SOMETHING YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T BOAST. GET OVER YOURSELF.

October 25, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

1% own 99% of wealth they own the Republican Party
        CALL 202-225-0600 Let your Voice be heard!
        Or Click the link and leave a message.

October 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Jerry: they also probably own the Democrats. Stop kidding yourself that there's any difference between the two.

October 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • That Guy

Don't be such a schlemiel. They control the Democratic party as well. Why do you think nothing has changed in the last 3 years and things have only gotten worse for the last 30? There is no left wing in American politics. Hasn't been for some time, Jim. Look at "Obamacare" for an example. You realize that this is just the Republican healthcare reform plan from the 90's, right? The problem is that the center of our political system and discourse have moved so far to the right that what used to be called the lunatic fringe right is now called the right and what used to be known as the center is now known as "socialism." Blame it on the media and the short attention span and gullibility of the average American. Don't worry about your congress critters, though: they all get cushy jobs as lobbyists if they don't get re-elected.

October 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • ElmerGantry

If they don't get that cushy job, they can fall back on their cushy pension.

October 25, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I'd be curious to see how many audience members AREN'T wearing something made outside of the US... for those that are, don't they feel as though they're contributing to the problem?

October 25, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mr. Fluffy

@JustInMint

You have a PhD because you are smart, I presume. I welcome your philanthropy. I pay my taxes as well. And I donate much to charity, much as you. If you wish to donate more to the Feds, go for it. No one is stopping you. But I don't want to unless I have a clearer picture as to how my donations will be spent, and I must also agree with the expenditures before I donate further. Right now, I disagree with the way the Feds are spending the hard-earned money I am donating to them.

October 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Johann Heuchert

Regarding "Occupy Wallstreet": Very simple: 1) Repeal the Gramm–Leach–Bliley_Act and reintroduce the "Glass Steagall Act. 2) The sellers of "Toxic Assets" should go to jail and return all moneys made in the last 12 years to government. 3) All prominent people (Politicians bankers & Financiers) who were for repealing the Glass-Steagel Act should loose their jobs, same as the millions who did so because of the "big guys'" a) greed, b) stupidity, c) incompetence. These include Bernanke, Geithner, Paulson, Summers and the like (all CEOs of the financial sector).

October 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Tracie

I am certainly among the 99%. I am a nurse that works 2 jobs just to make ends meet. Last year I declared bankruptcy and lost my house and car. That was all due to a lengthy and expensive custody battle that costs me $40,000. So needless to say I am at the height of my frustration. Due to the loss of my house I lost that as a deduction on my taxes and with 2 jobs I owed both federal and state. This wonderful state of MO sent me a letter telling me if I did not pay my taxes that they would suspend my nursing licenses. Does that seem ridiculous to anyone but myself? Without a nursing license how would those taxes ever have the potential of getting paid? I don't know what to do to stand up and fight for my right as a hard working citizen. I have worked for 21 years as a RN and so thankful for my job but there are times I think I am doing something wrong. Why can't I make it? Does it take three jobs?
    I thank you Piers for bringing this to the forefront of the American people! You seem to be the only one that is not making the protest out to be a bad thing. I wish I had time to protest but I am too busy working my two jobs and feeding my children. I also want to know where my bail out is. Those seem to be handed out on a regular basis to companies that mismanage their money. I am so stunned that we are paying bonus to those who already make millions of dollars to begin with. What is wrong with this country!! Thanks again!!

October 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • defheff

Tracie, I support you and hope you get back on your feet sooner rather than later. There are other news outlets that fully support OWS. MSNBC, Current TV... you should look into that!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • M

I can certainly relate but even so I wouldn't include myself in the '99%'. Your story is much like mine Tracie except for one major difference, I put the blame for my situation where it belongs Tracie and that is the American Family court system. Our family court system and corrupt lawyers (I think they are all corrupt) is why your custody battle cost so much it brought you down. Add the trashed housing market and a few other things and you are well on your way to bankruptcy. It did it to me too. I fought for custody for my children with an individual who repeatedly ran off with the kids after I was awarded custody to 4 different states. Instead of the states honoring the order they believed the crap stories told and made me attend hearings in each state. This went on for years and I finally had to just represent myself. I could go on and on Tracie but I bet if we sat down and talked we could actually define WHY we are where we are at.
      Bottom line is, I made choices and I fought for those choices, right or wrong. They cost me many things in life, yes, I'm in bankruptcy too, and yes, I had a bunch of help from the crooks in the housing market and the thieves in the auto industry, how many times have you been screwed buying a new vehicle? Why we bailed them out – well – I have my opinion on that – you wouldn't like it though. But I did receive custody of my kids when they were 3,4 and 5. They are 30, 31 and 33 now and I wouldn't have traded that for the world. So in spite of where we are at, I did win what was important. The money will never remember me but my children will, and so will my grandchildren and that is what life is about to me.

October 25, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chase in Cali

Tracie,

Your personal "problems" are the american people's problems. Grow up. If you need to move from MO, then move. Don't demand that taking from others who are not filing for bankruptcy and are successful prop you up. Pathetic. You should be ashamed.

October 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Carol A.

Yeah, and let's let people who can't afford medical care or insurance just die, right? Who needs compassion for other human beings who are in a bad spot through no fault of their own.

October 25, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • The Fall of Rome...

You want to know how we made it out of the Great Depression? Because our boys went overseas and we sacrificed for this country; for each other. The difference this time is every man is out for themselves. Throw them to the lions right? Who cares about your fellow man as long as it doesn't affect you. I am amazed at what has happened to this country, the selfishness. Sometimes when a person gets knocked down they just need a little help back up. The Great Recession truely has brought out the worse in people.

October 25, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • PaminGa

man, I really hope you don't get sick and need a nurse!

October 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • ElmerGantry

What a smug response Chase in Cali

First, with custody involved she may no be allowed to move the children too far from the spouse. I don't know if that is the case and neither do you, but you make that assumption without knowing.
        Second, Not an easy thing for a mother of two with little to no positive cash flow to uproot move to a new community, find residence, etc etc.

Before you get so critical of some one like Tracie you should walk in their shoes for awhile.

Hmmmmm, what's that biblical saying, oh yeah the golden rule; treat others as you would have them treat you.

October 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • RobertinFL

Tracy,

Just know that there are a lot of us, like you. That is what we are fighting for! The system is broke. Every day, Every week, every year the richer get richer, and the majority of us (more every day) live in poverty. Look at our priorities...schooling is abysmal here, but we sure know how to give tax breaks to businesses. And where does that tax break money go? Into the pockets of the CEO...look at the difference in CEO pay here in America to anywhere else. I believe it is something like 150 times what the average worker makes. Fail in the company, and they will pay you millions to leave...unreal.

If you don't know what is going on, turn off the news!

October 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • PaminGa

Tracie, I really understand. I'm a special education teacher in Ga. We have been cut every year for the last TEN years. Teachers all across the state have had furlough days, shorten schools calendars, pay cuts, and lay offs for the last three years. We keep being told that we should do our part to help the economy. But we feel like it's ONLY us. I do know understand that policemen, firemen, and every state and county personnel has been cut. But the suffering in Ga. is very real. And to hear that the top wage earners can't do their part to help the economy is almost more than I can take. My husband's business failed and our debt is almost overwhelming. We have a son in College and I'm working a second job in order to pay his tuition and prevent him from starting his life in debt, (Because the financial aid has been cut) . My second job is also in education and I fear that will be cut next year also. I just found out I have 5 furlough days next year and my health insurance is going up 80 dollars a month. The right wingers in my community tell me that I picked the wrong line of work, and insinuate that I don't really work hard anyway. I work from 7:00 am to 5:00 p.m everyday during the week, then I come home and teach an online class to other teachers. I work all day Sunday EVERY week. I have three degrees. And why is it unreasonable for me to expect to make a much as a plumber and to have a secure job? And why is it unreasonable to expect some of the corporations and top wage earners to sacrifice a little.

October 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Susan

Hey, Pam: those of us in corporate America sacrifice quite a bit for you public employees. You have a guaranteed retirement that comes out of my taxes while I may have to work for years after you retire just so I can pay for housing and food in my senior years. I and my colleagues put in far longer hours than you and since we don't have a contract that has been negotiated by union members on both sides, I can lose my job or benefits with no notice. You have to pay for your healthcare? Welcome to the club, lady. I've been paying yours and mine for years. I'll make a deal with you: I'll give a little bit more if you'll support me with your pension when I retire and pay part of my healthcare after I quit working. Since you'll have so much and I'll have so little, thanks to you and you fellow public employees, it's only fair that you take care of me. God you cry baby public employees make me sick.

October 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fed Up

Gee, Pam, how come you only have to pay $80 for your health insurance and I have to pay $575/month plus an ever-increasing number of deductibles?; and how come you have more than one job while other people have none and your husband had the resources to start his own business in the first place while the rest of us toil away working for others? Life just isn't fair. I don't understand why the fortunate few such as you don't step up to the plate and help the rest of us. Afterall, doesn't fairness dictate that we all have the same?

October 26, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Joe In Oregon

Pam: you forgot to mention the unbelievable misery of having 11 weeks of paid vacation every year as a public school teacher. Oh the horror! How are you ever going to survive?

October 26, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Penny

I feel your pain...single mom of three special needs teens, horrible debt, bankruptcy and am now racking up student loan debt to change careers. I, too, am disgusted with those who are posting later than yours that people need a kick in the tail as they have Masters/Post Doctorate degrees. All I can say is – it must have been a white male. It certainly wasn't ME, even though I have a bachelors. Maybe you and I ought to run for Congress – when we get time between jobs, school, homework, kids, sleeping....

October 25, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Tracie, you need to take ownership for your position. You've made your life choices and you should be an adult about it and realize that yes, you have been doing something wrong.
      You have two jobs and have been employed for 21 years. The fact that 40,000 dollars has sent you into bankruptcy means you haven't saved like you should have. It's that simple. You can whine about how hard things are but it's only hard because you didn't plan ahead. You lost your car and home, I hear that you had a car loan. Reliable cars can be bought for only a couple thousand dollars.
      It's not that I am selfish, it's that I have little sympathy for people who live above their means and then their debts catch up to them. Rich people are rich because they are fiscally competent or else their fortunes will make other, fiscally competent people rich. It sounds like you are neither. Try being happy for others who've planned ahead and lived in (relative) moderation rather than want them to pay more of your share of taxes or distribute their money to people who are fiscally foolish.

October 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

Tracie: what you need to do is talk to a competent tax lawyer who can help you with your tax bill...and I don't mean one of those places that advertises on TV and radio that they can settle your liability for pennies on the dollar...I mean a local attorney who is familiar with your state's taxing authority. Once you have counsel and are working with the government, all of the threats will go away. I know you are in a rough spot because I have been through a similar situation myself. Whining and complaining won't make things better. Take charge of your life and make the decision that things will get better. That's the first, the hardest and the most important step to improving things.

October 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

Tracie,
      I think we would need a little more information here. The custody battle is your business but the country cannot take responsibility for problems between you and the children's father, and there's always a lot to those stories and two sides to everything. Good luck. I live in Missouri and have never heard of threatening someone's license but I plan to look into that.

CAROLE A, you don't think the custody battle behind this is in any way her fault? Get serious.

October 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Shahrzad R Malek

Jobs are not destroyed because corporation are taxed, it’s because rich wants to be richer without any consideration of individual rights or ethics.
    They lay off labors to increase their earning which that increase the unemployment.
    They make cheap low quality goods to increase their earning while damaging consumers bank accounts.
    They increase the price of their low quality cheap made goods about 100% to 200% to increase their earnings.
    They don’t give the hard working labor’s any salary raise to increase their earning.
    Greed of these corporations is the major contributor to this chaos we are in.
    It’s not Tax its Greed.
    Large corporations contribute to the society:
    Making astronomical profits by,
    Down grading the labor force, not giving raise to the hard working employee, cutting cost with lowering the quality of goods, misrepresenting goods, false advertisement, unjustly increasing prices and finally not paying taxes

October 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jerry

Its the Middle Class that made America Great. When the Middle Class ruled it took care of the less fortunate in our society and most the time didn't even think of the greedy people stuffing their pockets and looking the other way. The middle Class is being destroyed? What is really going on here? It seems that a segment of our society wants to a have and have not world or a 2 class society? We need to CALL 202-225-0600 Let your Voice be heard!

October 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • A caring American

Hats off you are so right it is greed. Multi Nationals Corporation with Wall Street and our Congressman/woman, oh yea the Supreme Court you have a hand in it to by being on the side of big corporation, passing laws that not in the interest of the people.

October 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Shahrzad R Malek

Blackmail and bribery is legal it’s called “donation”. It is unfair, unethical and it should be illegal.
    Corporations give donations to keep the laws in Washington, the growth of the economy and the well being of labor and consumer as hostage. It is unfair, unethical and it should be illegal.
    We get mistreated as a consumer and labors.
    Capitalism is taken advantage of.
    Power is misused to the point that had placed 95% of the country in a bad financial and emotional risk.
    To build our individualism and to be able to excel and raise strong children to become even stronger Americans, our government part should be to keep these donation out of politics and to regulate them so they would learn that with a great power comes a great responsibility and not distortion.

October 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Shahrzad R Malek

Capitalism and free market would have been a great system if it wasn’t abused and if it was ethical and considerate of well being of the whole society and individual rights were considered.
    Government needs to stop protecting the inconsiderate, selfish rich in the society and start investing in America's Infrastructure, New Energy Jobs, Invest in Public Education, to Offer Medicare for All, Make Work places to Pay raise to the labor and treat them fair, to the Secure Social Security, to Return to Fairer Tax Rates, to End the Wars and Invest at Home, Tax Wall Street, Strengthen Democracy, Regulate unjust and phony price hiking.

October 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • See Sharp

"[G]government needs to stop protecting the inconsiderate, the rich...." I agree. Let's abolish the lavish pensions of government employees, including those at UCSD, who will get a great retirement on the backs of the struggling employees in the private sector. Please, Ms. Malek, you're embarrassing yourself with your whining and breathtaking ignorance. Concentrate on improving yourself rather than complaining to strangers...or return to where you came from. In Pakistan or Iran, you won't have to worry about the risks that come with self-determination.

October 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Shahrzad R Malek

to See Sharp:
        It’s because of selfish, racist …….people like you that the economy is destroyed. I would suggest that you go ahead and educate yourself a little. Maybe it will help you understand that this land that you are inviting me to leave is the land that doesn’t belong to either of us, including you. Oops, I forgot you are too ignorant to study or even understand that, it’s just beyond you. You are just hopeless; so I leave the rest of the debate as that. Go get a life with brain, hearth and understanding. Maybe you could ask your rich friends to give you money for doing some cosmetic surgery, but yours going to be brain and hearth implant which I can tell you don’t have.

October 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shahrzad R Malek

As single mom I have been seriously struggling especially more starting 2005. I work at UCSD for past 12 years as Research Biologist. After including all of my responsibilities towards my 2 kids, 2 jobs, physical impairments, and the bills that I couldn’t afford, I perhaps got overwhelmed. It was/is hard for me to handle the massive hardships single handedly and it surly was/is an overwhelming experience for me. To make matters worse, I exhausted my credit limits due to the massive bills I had to pay for my house, car repairs and additionally for the simple fact that the cost of living had unjustifiably increased 100 percent, while my salary had maybe increased 3-5 percent. There was/is 95% deficiency in being able to afford the same basic things that I used to be able to afford. Making the ends meet and paying for basic necessity became extremely challenging. Since 2005, every time I ask for raise, management tells me that I am lucky to even have a job. So without a fair raise that would be closely equal to the massive increase of the cost of living, how was I supposed to make up for rest of the 95 percent deficiency? This is what I had to face, the enormous financial debt and the physical pressure. I faced my worst fear of not being able to afford.
    I can’t afford to live in the same house that I bought 10 years ago and I am about to fall into bankruptcy and foreclosure. I went to apply for low income housing to move out of this house but I was told that my $50,000 dollar income for 3 dependent was too high and I can’t qualify to apply for low income housing. I am considered middle income and I can’t file for low income housing. Then I applied to get a loan but I was told because my income was too low I am high risk and I can’t qualify for low rate loan or any loan for that matter. So what am I? Am I low income or high income?

October 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. KNIGHTS tEMPLAR

Till we address the real problem,The true world war and the true line in the sand,Well be @ the first commandment..All Pagan Nations have the world @ a stand still...This is of my Blood Drink , and this is of my Fleash Eat...The great deceiver will build any nation and drop any nation..Been working for thousands of years...@ the latter days there will only be two froms of goverments...They how are on stolen land and them ho will have to defend there very existence

October 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Scott Cress

Piers should ask the following question to Mr. Moore. Do we as consumers have any responsibility for the financial crash. ?? Did we borrow too much?? Did the greedy corporations put a gun to our head to force us to borrow more than we could ever pay back ????? Wall Street is certainly not blameless in the financial crash, but we as consumers need to stand up and take our share of the credit for the mess were in today.

October 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erin Wilson

You're right, people borrowed too much. Here's the difference, though. Joe America wants a house because Joe America believes in the American dream. He applies for a loan, and trusts the bank to loans him money, because why would a bank make a loan to a person whom they didn't believe could pay it back? Was Joe America stupid to believe this? Probably. The bank that made the loan was stupid, too, because it made a loan that they knew was bad. Joe America made his mistake one time. That bank made its mistake thousands and thousands of times. Bank got a bailout, and Joe America gets foreclosed. Something's wrong with that setup.

October 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Justaminit

Scott,

Do drug dealers put a gun to addict's head to get them to use? Why arrest them, when it is the user's fault? Just an example. Corporations should have at least as much responsibility as we do. Lending money to those who can not repay it is stupidity. Ripping off the consumer is criminal.

October 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Scort

Sometimes drug dealers do just that. And they commit terribly violent acts to control dealing territory. They do not have to, but they choose to. Just as mortgage brokers did not have to put people into bad loans. They chose to.

October 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

How many of the OWS protestors were perfectly willing to buy a house they could not really afford, get a "liar" loan or otherwise take on too much leverage utilizing the various financial products created by these Wall Street "criminals" a few years back? Just curious.

October 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • scott

Yes, consumers have part of the blame. But they have paid for it – through seeing their houses go underwater, or being foreclosed on, or having to file bankruptcy. I'd say they've been punished.

But the fat cats at the top have gotten bailed out, made even more money, and have come out smelling like a rose.

There's plenty of blame to spread around. But the accountability has only been forced upon those less well off.

October 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Ross Aimer

I couldn't paste the greatest bumper sticker onto this post, but it is a picture of the" Republican Elephant" and the words say:

"REPUBLICANS 2012
    KEEPING MILLIONS OUT OF WORK,
    TO PUT ONE MAN OUT OF A JOB!"

October 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brenda Joseph

Make that bumpersticker and I'll buy it. T-shirts too. I have a visual of promenent republicans standing around renting the social fabric into shreds and laughing.

October 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jj

Agree

October 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Wade

I imagine that the 1 % is the richest it is that way everywhere but to say that these protesters represent more than the 3 % malcontents and clueless thieves that want something for nothing is just a flat out lie. Now when they start protesting against the real culprits the GOV I would gain a little more respect for them. As it is they are beating up the wrong people that are just following the LAWS that the GOV makes.

October 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Don

I'm not sure if I'm in the 1%, but I may be close. I started with nothing. My dad was in the military, and didn't have any big bucks to give his kids, but he taught us the importance of education and hard work. I took risks, some good, some bad, and worked hard to start my own successful business that now employs almost 100 people. This is what you can do in America. There is something inherently wrong with the government telling people how much money they should or should not be able to have. It's also wrong to expect handouts. Work hard. Overcome mistakes. Anyone can be successful. It's not a bad thing to be successful. For those that broke the law through corruption, etc., they should suffer the consequences – we already have laws covering those things. We don't need a massive government attempt at wealth redistribution in this country. If you want more money – go get it. You can here in America – at least for now.

October 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Justice

Don and other 1%'ers...
      "For those that broke the law through corruption, etc., they should suffer the consequences – we already have laws covering those things. We don't need a massive government attempt at wealth redistribution in this country. If you want more money – go get it. You can here in America – at least for now."
      Really? Are the companies and individuals who broke the law suffering the consequences? Aren't some of the people who got us in this mess part of the same group that creates financial policy and law? Do bailouts to corportations such as AIG, and others make sense when people who have been paying thier mortages can't get refinanced because the appraisers say their homes aren't worth what they paid for it? Does it make sense that some of the financial corporations who got bailed out gave "golden" parachutes to top execs? Where is the fairness when CEO's are cashing in for millions while laying off workers because the company can't afford to keep people working... or the company wants to ship those jobs to other countries where the "working" class will work for cheaper wages. Well, I guess that's fair then isn't it, after all the money does belong to the CEO and top execs right? They worked hard to get to the top, they had the same opportunities that everyone else had right? Both Dems and Repubs are crooks and will say/do anything to get re-elected. Same financial group in both admins.

October 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rosa

If you truly had nothing, you most likely benefited from govt programs/handouts. I would go so far as to say as you enjoyed many govt benefits as your father served in the military. How can you not support the idea of government?

I too fall in or close to the top 1%. I literally came from nothing, sometimes nothing included no electricity and no water. However I will give credit where credit is due, I went to college on financial aid and student loans. One of the goverment programs that has helped me become as successful as I am today.

Having eaten on food stamps in my youth, I believe in government programs or handouts as you call them. I dont like paying taxes that total someone's salary but I support the government stance that everyone needs to pay their fair share. I do agree the govt should not tell someone how much money they can make. However many are not paying the same percentage in taxes I am and have 10X my income. This is the issue, not income limits.

October 25, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Random_Sample

Bravo! Well said.

I was taught as a youngster that hard work, determination, and perhaps a little luck were the path to success.
      We should be teaching our children the importance of earning their own way in life.

It defines the kind of person we are.

I have zero sympathy for those who think it's acceptable to ride on the coattails of others.

October 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Carol A.

I work hard, I have a great education, and I can't keep my house that I could easily afford with my spouse's income because we are divorcing (not my fault - he's gay) and the irresponsible mortgage companies are "making up" for their irresponsibility by drying up available mortgages so that divorcing spouses can no longer transfer the marital home and associated mortgage to one spouse, and spouse who ends up as a single mom is very unlikely to be able to get a mortgage for a new house. Many of us have done everything right and gotten totally screwed. That's why I am one of the 99%.

October 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • PaminGa

Hey Don, read my post and explain to me how I can make more money. You're not seeing whole picture with all it's complexities.

October 25, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Don

Many of you don't get it. Success doesn't always come easy. It's not supposed to. When I started my business I went months sometimes with no paycheck. I lived off of credit cards and more than once thought I wouldn't make it. But you must work hard (and smart) and perservere. Most very successful entrepreneurs failed at least a couple times before succeeding. But don't blame someone else for failure or hard times. Get through it. There is opportunity everywhere around you if you look.

October 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sam

Thanks, Don and well put. As a culture, we have lost our core values of self-reliance, personal responsibility, common sense and independence; instead, belly aching and victimhood are glorified and those who exhibit the above qualities are demonized. You are the kind of person who should be the subject of a tv show, not the cry baby malcontents of OWL and the pathetic majority on this board.

October 25, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jesse

we have no one to blame but ourselves.... we voted the people who did this into office..... we need to vote them out if we really want change.....

October 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. joe sabet

do you believe the US is becoming a third world nation? to answer my own question: if we have a huge amount of poor people, like 20 percent eligible for food stamps, and the poor are growing and middle class is decreasing in size, yes, i think we are becoming like a third world country. benefits with jobs are diminishing and decreasing in appearance, job stability is unheard of, and public sector jobs are being cutback. With all this occuring while we manufactue little and jobs are outsourced, what hope do we really have employ more people and bring on stability and living wages? what hope is obama providing, or our Congress? we're doomed

October 25, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Concerned

Your absolutely right; this is in no way, the left wing tea party.

>Massive grassroots movement, hijacked by divisive demo-gauge.
    – Tea Party; Sarah Palin/Glenn Beck
    – Occupy Wall Street: Michael Moore/Al Sharpton

My mistake. Don't see how this could possibly be the left wing tea party at all. /facepalm.

October 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Brent

Well, I guess I'm part of the 99% since I earn nowhere near the thresholds they talk about. But to say the OWS group seems a bit worthless would be an understatement. Certainly, in terms of participant numbers they are so much less than 1% of the population that their legitimacy seems questionable. I think the real 99% are busting their backsides every day at a job and/or taking care of kids and/or hustling it trying to find a new job so they can put some groceries on the table – not sitting around taking up space. The 99% don't have time to sit around protesting. My gut is the OWS gang are more akin to a new generation of politicians who will sell us a bill of goods so they can be the ones in the driver seat, calling the shots and enjoying the perks in the future. Do they have some good points? Sure. Do they need to sit around blaming a bunch of guys and gals who work in a high stress job for the troubles of the universe? Seems ludicrous at best. It's simply another collection of accusatory slogans that do nothing to address a remarkably complex, interconnected collection of economic, government – and at some level – ethical issues. So, for OWS, my main request is: go home, get involved in the real political process and try to make a real difference. If you've got piles of free time, volunteer for one of the many non-profit organizations who are hurting in the current economic downturn. For this member of the 99%, today was like most other days: most of my time was spent figuring out how to get my job done, how to love my family, trying help where I can in my community, taking a little time to pray for all (all) my leaders whether I agree with them or not. And one last though for everyone posting today: great nations start with people who have learned to be civil and great-hearted toward others, even during tough times.

October 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jo an

Most people are a few pay checks away from broke...

October 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rob

Great post Brent. You said it perfectly, they should go home and get involved in their comminity and in political parties. Fight for change at the grassroots by running for school boards, local assemblies and state houses. I bet most of these people aren't even registered to vote.

October 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jean Sartre, Milwaukee, WI

Yes, that is truly the way to fix a totaly corrupt political system: Go join it!
        The way to fix the KKK is to go join it!
        The way to fix al Qaeda is to go join it!

Yes, exactly... why didn't I think of that?

Where, Oh Where do you people come from?

October 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • rob

@ Jean Sartre, Milwaukee, WI
        If you can compare the United States to Al-Qaeda or the whole countries history to the KKK than you may be the winner of our grand prize tonight of an all expense paid life long trip to.......... Venezuela. Have fun.... BUH BY

October 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. godott

You should invite the GOP candidates and see if any of them are willing to take questions from a 99% crowd.

Let's talk about how they are eliminating capital gains tax and diverting another trillion dollars a year to the richest 1%.

October 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Sandi

Moore is as left as one can get. I want him to comment on the fact that Obama is doing a fund raiser today that has a $5000 MINIMUM "entry donation" to drool over their idol! Obama is gathering his Hollywood idolers... they who rake in HUGE money ... that us 99%ers have to shell out $8-$10 to sit and watch a movie ... a respite of averaging 90 minutes! Would you say that these attendees are part of the 1% you and the so-called "occupy" gang detest? Would you say that you, Mr. Moore, fall into the 1% group? I'm sure your finances are probably right up there with other 1%ers. The "occupy" gang want free this, free that, etc., etc. They're too stupid to realize there is no "free" in this world. Their "free" would then be paid for by the taxpayers... you, me ... the 99%ers! It's obvious now that they've attracted the local homeless because they offer tents, food, etc. Can Moore comment on the source of the money coming in for the "occupy" group? I've heard that there's some big Democrat backers helping push ... why? It's a distraction! Ironic that 1%ers are behind the movement! Get the media to play on the "occupy" gang and not on the failures of Obama himself!!!
    And to prove how stupid some of these 99%ers are, the claim that Jews own everything, that they are essentially the 1%ers, is not only dumb, it's also disgusting. However, every group seems to attract the weird and dumb, the "occupy" gang is no exception. I expect some of them will comment on my comment. Bring it on! Prove me right!

October 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Qularknoo

1. do not covet
    2. do not steal
    3. David Duke supports the "Occupiers"
    4. the wealthy will be held accountable for how they use their wealth ... we have no right to decide how they should use their wealth
    5. if people refuse to work ... then they shouldn't be fed.

October 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin W. Clark

Uh....David Duke supports the Tea Party. Don't believe me? Check his wikipedia page, genius.

October 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. art200224

If Michael Moore is the face of the occupy movement, you all are F*****. Just saying.

October 25, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. rob

Thanks CNN for allowing the OWS people to have an honest hearing of their issues just like you did for the Tea Party. OOOOHHH YEAH !!!!! I forgot, you didn't do that for the Tea Party, you spent most of your reporting trying to discredit them by allowing vulgar parodying of their name by your hosts and Democrats calling them every name in the book.

This thing is fading fast because of the utter ridiculousness of the people and their "Demands" dispite the Media and the Dems trying to "Understand" them and distract the people away from their horrible economic record.

Nov. 2012 can't come fast enough.

October 25, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jean Sartre, Milwaukee, WI

@Rob
      No matter how quickly 2012 comes or how quickly you might want it to come, it will not change anything: you will stil be totally clueless...

October 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. rob

Advice From Abraham Lincoln

"Labor was prior to capital but property is the fruit of labor.
    Property is desirable and is a positive good to the world.
    That some should be rich shows that others may become
    rich and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.

>Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another
    >but let him work dilligently and build one for himself"

October 25, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rob

No comments? Come on, I dare you.

October 26, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. cpc65

Hopefully they picked the 1% of the 99% that actually have a clue what they're protesting about. A Boston radio station tried interviewing some of the Occupy Boston crowd and found two things. 1) Most of the people there were not only not from Boston, but not from the East Coast, and 2) Many of them could not explain with the least bit of clarity what the movement was about. They were mostly there to get burnt and get free food.

October 25, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Andy

When you graduate with a 1.8 GPA with a useless degree, you should not be upset that you don't have a job. What you should be upset about is that you were not smart enough to go to college, but went anyway.

October 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Joseph

I'm not an anti-capitalist and I don't believe corporations are evil by design. But their greed has gone too far and put us in this mess. Their financial influence most be removed from our government and they must pay their fair share of taxes (just like the rest of us in the 99% or 6%).

If our government messes up, we (voters) can fire them. If a corporation messes up, we can sue them (privately or via our government). But when our government is no longer ours, and is instead bought-out by corporations and the greedy few... then we're all in trouble (Occupy Wall Street kids and retired Tea Party folk alike). And that... is what this is really all about.

October 25, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. jo an

Even though my house is not 'underwater', I don't have a student loan, I have health insurance....I FEEL and THINK like a 99%er....Why? I think the 1% is 'out of touch'...They should be lining up to give back. I find them selfish and self centered.

I think Jesus would have been more at home with the OWS people than with the Wall Street Group...As would the compassionate people of the world!

October 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. andy

When the top 5% of wage earners are already paying 80% of the taxes in this country, how much more can they "give back".

October 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol A.

So it makes sense to you that the richest should pay a lower percentage tax on their riches because they are so rich that that lower percentage equals more than the rest of us pay?

October 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • rob

No, it means that even if you yax them more or even to 100% it won't solve yours or the countries economic problems. Most of the income made by the "Rich" is from investments in things that creat JOBS for people like you and me. That income is taxed less so as to insentivise MORE INVESTMENT that leads to more jobs in both the private and public sectors. Calling for higher taxes on th"Rich" ($200000 or more) may make for good politics but it makes for lousey economics.

October 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Carol A.

Rob, there was no reply button after your post. Do you really believe those rich investors are creating jobs? If they are, they are creating them in China, not here.

October 25, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • rob

If we have have tax incentives designed to make it more attractive to invest here they will. We need to have tax reform and corp tax incentives to re invest in the USA. The Govt cannot "Invest" us into prosperity.

October 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. gary

NAKED SHORT SELLING is Counterfeiting,, Steal Millions pay pennies,,, THE 99% has no idea how Wall STreet steals our money,,, THEY dont use a Gun wake up IF we dont learn how they steal they wont stop

October 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Quincy

Move over Tea Party the Party is over for you. Watch how it is done.

October 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. gary

FINES FOR CRIMES on wall st ,, Look at UBS today paid $12M stole who knwos how much and its back to business,, NAKED SHORT SELLING is Fraud,, Learn how they do it,

October 25, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Nina

This sounds good! Great idea, Piers. I will definitely watch tonight.

October 25, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Scott

Greed is sinful, compassion is sublime. Enough said!

October 25, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Kathleen

The right wing has done an excellent job of spreading their propaganda and with Karl Rove once again working behind the scenes look out America! Keep your eyes open and don't believe anything the GOP puts out there! They are masters of spin, so question every single word out their mouths! They lie continuously and then the lie somehow becomes the truth! Watch out, be vigilent......I can't stress it enough. The right wing wants to control America and that means doing away with the middle class. They care only for the 1% – money is their main focus and catering to the rich. The other 99% mean nothing to them, only when they want their vote and then they pjromise them the world! Didn't 8 years of Bush/Cheney prove that? We would not be in such a bad economic state right now but for the GOP taking the country to war under false pretenses and sadly Obama is held responsible for it all....amazing! Like I said, they are masters of spin! I hope 'Occupy' becomes a revolution in this country......a revolution against an authoritarion right wing government, taking control of this country again and running it into the ground! We will not recover again....we are barely recovering now!

October 25, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • TDiddy

WOW, you really are an idiot!

October 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rob

Hey Kathleen, MSNBC wants your resume...they have an opening for a political reporter.

October 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leaf on the Wind

Kathleen, you're not entirely wrong, but not entirely correct either. There are plenty of 1% folks in the Democratic party, too. They spin and convolute things with the best of the GOP, they just aren't as good at the fear-and-blame cycle. Also, no particular administration, Republican or Democrat, is directly responsible for this mess. Deregulation of banks and the one-time "savings and loan" companies began under Reagan and continued under Bush Sr, Clinton, and Bush Jr. Don't drink anyone's koolaide.

October 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Sandi

"Leaf" let's not forget good old Bill Clinton. He advocated that everyone should have the American dream ... home ownership! He pushed the banks on giving loans to everyone. So what happened? Realtors, mortgage brokers, appraisers, banks ... all played the numbers game. Buyers got sucked into taking homes bigger than they should have; their eyes were bigger than their stomachs. Don't have a down payment? No problem. You can get a 100% loan! Don't have closing costs? No problem. You can have a 110% loan!!! So what happened to a huge majority of these poor suckers? They couldn't afford what they "bought" in the first place ... FORECLOSURE!! FORECLOSURE! Millions went into foreclosure! Their dreams became nightmares ... to us, the taxpayer! WE are footing the bill ...
        Thx Bill!!!

October 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • rob

Hey Leaf, why did you leave out Bill Clinton's name in the past Presidents list of those to blame? He signed the bill to do away with the 60 or so year old "Glass Stegall" act designed to keep banks and investment houses separate which was one of the Bi-Partisan mistakes made during his Presidency.

October 26, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

The Curtain has been pulled back and the Republicans have been shown/ exposed to be mouth puppets of the 1%....
        They have been finally caught and now are just buying time to stuff their pockets before the up coming economic earth quack .When 1% of our population own 99% of wealth they also own and control the Republican Party leaders. The middle class made America Great. And the 1% in 2011 are not Americans, that is what we are missing! Did you know that large percentage of USA distressed homes are being purchased by Countries outside the USA

October 26, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  34. Martin

The top 1% making all the money is NOT the result of capitalism, it's the result of socialism.

Under capitalism, most of the banks would have been allowed to fail completely in 2008, instead of taking large bail outs.

Under capitalism, corporate losses cannot be deducted against future years' tax bills.

Under capitalism, the 99% would be in the poor house.

The last time on the planet there was true capitalism, it was the Industrial Revolution in England.

Didn't work out too well for the 99% now, did it?

October 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. TDiddy

Great idiots talking to idiots...should be interesting...for about a minute.

October 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Tr1Xen

I'm going to go occupy Burger King to see if they'll give me a free bacon cheeseburger! After all, they have much more bacon and beef than I have. Heck, I don't have any right now...That's not fair. They have 100% more than I do!! I want it!!! I want it!!!!

**stomps feet, waves arms, and throws a tantrum like a three-year-old**

October 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Descarado

Is CNN going to host a Tea Part town hall?

October 25, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Descarado

LOL keyboard had too much coffee!

October 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. WeNeedChangeNow

• Democracy breeds freedom
    • Freedom breeds capitalism
    • Capitalism breeds Wall Street
    • Wall Street breeds greed
    • Greed breeds collusion of the rich and powerful (i.e. the 1%)
    • Ergo, Democracy breeds collusion of the rich and powerful (i.e. the 1%)
    • Ergo, in order to get rid of the 1%, we must abolish Democracy.

October 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jean Sartre, Milwaukee, WI

I don't know where you are living – Lah=Lah Land? – but Democracy in the USA was taken away when the Corporations bought the Government and then passed the "Patriot Act."

October 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rob

Huray, another winner of the Free all expenses paid trip for life to Venezuela.... Vio con dios, just don't post on sites like this... SHHHHH.... you might dissappear in the middle of the night.

October 26, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. DELOS

This is going to be an epic ellection season, I can not wait till the OWS 99% meet's the TEA PARTY with there second amend right at a good old fashion town hall meeting can't wait . LET"S GET READY TO RUMBLE,

October 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason

They are both pawns being used by politicians. Where are the true self thinking independents?

October 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leaf on the Wind

Really, Delos? If you're going to advocate violence, or even just look forward to it, at least write a literal comment. There are so many errors of spelling, grammar, and word usage in your short comment and none of them are mere typos.

Election, not ellection. Meets, not meet's. Their, not there. Amendment, not amend. Old fashioned, not old fashion. If you're an example of a Tea Party member, is it any wonder why the rest of us consider you to be an ignorant bunch?

October 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Sandi

Come off your snobby high horse "Leaf" and realize not everyone is as "brilliant" as you.....

October 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. John (Nola)

John (Nola)
    Hello Fellow Citizens!!

I'am so dang excited about the town hall tonight!! Man, has Mr. Michael Moore come a long way; from death threats to people saying he is not a patriot. He finally has time to shine at a town hall on CNN and speak the truth. Thank you to CNN also for being fair and balanced. True journalism.

Mr. John

October 25, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Jason

Why are we singling out people who make over $1M? Everyone who makes more than $100K should have higher taxes, and since when did Susan Sarandan, Shawn Penn, and Michael Moore make less than $1M? The shame of the occupy movement and the tea party movement is that they are BOTH being used as pawns by politicians. Michael Moore should put up or shut up just like all of these politicians who make more than $100K a year when the rest of the world is in financial chaos.

October 25, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leaf on the Wind

Jason, I make just a teensy bit over 100K and so far this year I've paid about $20K in state and federal taxes, and that includes Medicare and Social Security. And you want me to pay more? My cost of living is high (I live in Silicon Valley because I work in high tech and that's where the high tech jobs are). I'm living paycheck to paycheck, with a modest 401k and no company sponsored pension plan. What percentage of your total income have you paid in taxes so far this year? Climb down off that high horse before you hurt yourself.

October 25, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Leaf on the Wind

. . . forgot to mention the $850 per month I have to pay for basic health care. Sheesh!

October 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  43. B Hanson

First of all we do not have capitalism or a market economy. We have a govt subsidized economy and I believe it is called socialism. The govt subsidizes the corporations through tax credits and breaks. We subsidize corporations so they can compete with their excessive CEO salaries and fly around in private jets. Go to a flat tax of 10% to 12% (no deductions) on individuals and 1/2 of one percent of gross income on any business (no deductions) and take away the tax breaks. You simplify the tax code down to this. Then if corporations can afford the high paid executives and jets more power to them. They either change their greedy corporate culture or go out of business. That is a market economy. It is called survival of the fitest. Also, cut govt spending. Term limits for congress with no retirement. No electronic voting we have no paper trail. Primaries are treated like general election. All states vote on the same date. No politicing 30 days before the general election. Abolish the two party system everyone runs as independents.

October 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Zaphod2010

@gary, have you been listening to faux news and cain?
    @jason – the teabaggers movement was started by the millionaire koch brothers and murdoch. The 99% movement is all about people who have had enough of (according to statistics) of 400 Americans holding all the money while the rest of us, the vanishing middle class, never mind the poor continue to get screwed!

October 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sandi

And .... George Soros has been the "secret" money guy for the "occupy" do-nothing-I-want-everything-free gang!! "occupy" are being used now. They are a distraction for the media from all the bad new on Obama failures!

October 25, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • rob

Amen Sandy, CNN will support anything that will distract us from the fact that the Dems have failed misserably.

Nov. 2012 can't come fast enough.

October 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jason

Politicians use labels to divide Americans who are SICK of joblessness and misappropriation of funds. Wall street has the politicians on their payroll. Obama raised almost $1B for his election campaign. Bush raised record amounts as did Clinton. Don't let a label define you. Stand up, think for yourself, and be counted.

Think about it. Almost 3 years in office and all Obama has done is get rid of "don't ask, don't tell!!!???" Bush had both the house and the Senate for a time and he couldn't pass SS Reform??? They are all paid off and squeezed in to a mold of more of the same.

The repukes want to use the Tea Party for their benefit and the democraps want to use OW for their benefit. They do this by inciting trouble and applying labels. Don't be labeled.

October 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leaf on the Wind

Well stated. People need to think for themselves.

October 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Nathan

If these protesters are so upset over the bailouts given to large corporations, then why weren't they upset over Obama when he gave those bailouts?

I keep hearing a great deal about the evil corporations, but I have heard very little from the media and the Occupy protesters over the moronic decisions of the Obama White House.

October 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leaf on the Wind

I'm so tired of people blaming Obama for all the bailouts. TARP was Dubya's doing. How quickly we forget, especially if we don't pay attention in the first place and just repeat whatever Rush Limbaugh says.

October 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • mike

I guess that means bush saved us from a great depression and saved millions of jobs. Not Obama. Thanks for giving credit where credit is due. Liberal thinking at its best.

October 25, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • rob

Awsome Mike, Tarp was passed during Bush's last months in office with overwhelming votes fron the Dems including Obama. Why aren't the OWS people in front of 1600 Pennsylvania in Washington protesting the Dems involvement in saving the Banks WHEN IT WAS THE REPUBLICANS WHO VOTED OVERWHELMINGLY AGAINST IT. The Tea Party has been against Bailouts from the beginning. WHY DO THE OWS PEOPLE AND THE MEDIA IGNORE THE DEMOCRATS???????? BECAUSE THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

October 26, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

October 26, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  47. Alan

I have tried to understand what the Occupy movement wants and it is confusing. There is no consolidated message being released and there appears to be no way to sate all of their anger. While there could be a discussion/debate on this issue, both political parties are trying to use it as a rally point (for and against) and no real work has been done to ask, "What is it you want?".

I applaud Piers for trying to answer that question. I wish I knew what was going now on and why it is so different know? What has changed? Is it the community mindset of America? Does the current generation expect more than the last? The things that have been brought up as what the 99% want have been wants for the last few decades (or more) of those of us from previous generations. What makes it so different this time around?

In summary, if the Occupy movement wants to really drive their point home then explain to the others who don't have the ability to be there why their wants deserve special attention?

In an effort to be up front I'll say the following. My parents were divorced. My mother worked 60+ hour weeks to provide for my brother and I. I had to earn a scholarship to go to school and my first choice was the military for everything it offered me. My brother went to a technical school and paid back his school loans as well. We had to work hard and we had a lot of hard times. We were dependent on ourselves and our community to help. The first Thanksgiving we had where the meal came from the local church was humbling. My brother and I have been blessed with the knowledge we gained growing up in the environment where we didn't get everything we wanted but got what we needed.

October 25, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shahrzad R Malek

You don't understand the need of people because you are not listening or paying close attention to what is happening. Bottom line, there is not one issue that has got people angry to come out to the streets. There are many many issues that are taken place which were unfair and unethical which got the whole country to this mess we are right now and it should be illegal. If it’s unfair and unethical it should be illegal.

October 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Not a Job Creator

Here! Here! This excuse is so overused. Try reading JobCreatorsMyAss.com to see a simplified explanation of what is so unfair and part of what we want.

October 26, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Alan

Shahrzad R Malek, your response demonstrates the lack of a clear message I referred to in my original post. You state, "if it's unfair and unethical then it should be illegal". I completely agree with you and there are many laws on the books to currently enforce that ideology.

The problem is that what defines, "unfair and unethical"? That definition is nebulous and can be defined by religion, personal beliefs, laws or other outside forces. That is why the US is a country of laws yet the laws suck at defining that concept.

The best thing about the US is that if you don't like a law then you are given many legal ways to express yourself. The ultimate way to express yourself is to vote those people who share your thoughts into office and they can change those "unfair and unethical" laws on your behalf. This leaves me with three questions for the Occupy movement

1.) What is unfair and unethical now that wasn't 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago?
        2.) What change or changes will change those things that are unfair and unethical?
        3.) What is the expected outcome of the Occupy protests and how do the protests help you get there?

From what I can see the Occupy movement is a statement of generalized anger over the current state of the country. I think that it has grabbed national headlines but without a clear message and clear direction the movement will be taken over and used by those currently in power.

October 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Alan

Not a Job Creator, I read your site and it does provide a lot of information. The anger over corporate greed is one I share but I fault the failing economy and the actions of the government as symptoms and cause for these problems. I think there things should change but I am failing to see how the Occupy movement is helping that? You state that my excuse is overused? I say that the reason for that is there are few sites like yours that bring forth examples and define what they want changed.

I have read the primary Occupy websites and they do not have "reasons" or "expectations" of their actions but simply organizing tactics and lots of people venting their anger. The one group that did provide "demands" to the media was ousted from the group because they didn't act with "communal approval".

I'll end with this observation. I share the feelings of anger that are being raised but I differ in my response since I do not agree with the lack of direction that the protests currently have. I do not have a better alternative but I do not feel that the Occupy movement meets my expectation for change.

October 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Not a Job Creator

Well said and thanks for visiting my site.

October 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Raymond Thibault

I have been watching the Show it's 9:17. Michael Moore is correct. The Bought and Paid for Congress is the problem. They pay Lip service to our Veterans, I am a Cold War / Gulf War Veteran. The Special Interests and Corporate Billionaires have our congress in the palm of their hands. None have the Guts to stand up and do their Jobs. Step on toes and do what is right.

October 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. mike

U call this a townhall. Why aren't they taking questions. They must be using obamas teleprompter. Journalism is dead. What a joke.

October 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Mary

One bad decision by a CEO and a company can go bankrupt, 40,000 jobs lost, etc. The CEO is paid well to make good decisions. If you give someone a latte in stead of a mocha, you aren't affecting but one person, that's why you don't get paid like a CEO. I realize you feel CEOs are overpaid, but their job is very critical, as is a surgeon's job, and that's why they are paid more than you. That being said, no CEO should get paid any bonuses if their company isn't doing well and hiring and that is what should have been written into their government loan by Obama's foolish thumbsuckers.

October 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mike

I think they are sucking more than thumbs

October 25, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kathy

I don't know what rock you have been living under Mary – and where you get off calling people Obama's thumbsuckers....but why do you think so many Banks paid back the Tarp money? It was because it was written into the loans that the CEOs would not get their huge bonuses. Geez

October 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Not a Job Creator

Without the latte makers the company would NOT exist. Let's not forget those who make the operations of the business run.

October 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • win

mary, those CEO of corporations they are liers and cheaters, they r master and good on those things, there is no such thing bad decision, only bad ceo make evil decision! most ceo love $$$ and the love of $$ is the Root of all evil doing! they work just like gas exxon and mobil, no matter what is happen, storm..war...more people traffic..nothings will hurting them to making $$, they will make all kind excuse to make $$$, all business men have one goal is: making alot of $$$ with any co$t even they have to say lie too! even they have to closed company move to china for cheap labor...etc..they don't care how they will destroy americans life! just because of $$$, there is the law so call(GIVE and TAKE) those Greedy CEO they just want take ur $$ but they don't want to give back so u and i can buy their products, the rteason USA go south because we no longer have MIDLE CLASS to spending $$ for product or paying tax for USA!

October 28, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Kathy

When asked why the large corporations are sitting on all their money, Michael Moore responded that they are holding onto it so they will have it when the 'other shoe drops' – which I think could be part of the answer. But consider that perhaps they are not hiring, and not investing in America because they want Obama to fail – and want a Republican president who will ensure they remain under regulated. I am not saying that Obama is not bought and paid for by the large corporations too – but not to the degree that the Republicans are. So if they refuse to hire and keep things bad in America – then Obama loses – Republicans take over – and Regulations go out the window .

October 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rob

Kathy do you really believe that American corporations would with-hold money to ensure the loss of a Presidential candidate???? YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT CORPORATIONS ARE SET UP TO DO. Go online and lookup how corps are set up and report back to class.

October 25, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • win

amen to that Kathy, U r got the picture GOP play game with USA not just play with Obama, Gop they r playing politic game to get elect while americans in pain to lose everythings...what ashame GOP

October 28, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Not a Job Creator

I doubt that also. They are saving their moneys because that's what business are meant to do: Make as much as possible and spend as little as possible. They are firing and firing and making the remaining employees try to do the work that the fired used to do. That works for a while but we get burned out working so hard, so long. How can the big boss(es) make the amounts of money they make when sales are down? By NOT giving it to employees. Check out JobCreatorsMyAss.com for more info.

October 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Cathy

Mr. Moore,
    You fail to admit the decline in quality of the GM car for many, many years. That is also greatly responsible for their demise of a few years.

October 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  53. Charles

Good grief, Mr. Moore, when you were young you did not know the wealthy with yachts, etc. Speak the truth at least.

October 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. Sc

If American consumers didn't live by having everything now pay for it later lifestyle the Wall Street billionaires would only be millionaires. American consumers are over leveraged on credit card and other borrowing debt. They swipe their plastic before they even think about how many other things they have purchased and still haven't paid off. That's why these guys on Wall street have so much money to burn. You just handed it over when you were asked if it will be credit or cash. People should blame themselves a little more than they are.

October 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JamesB

Piers, this would have been a very good program tonight if you had had a panel that consisted of people with different points of view. To just have some so far left that he's beyond Hawaii doesn't bring much credibility to the program.

October 25, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  55. Bob, Arlington, VA.

I have a lot of respect for what Michael Moore as sought to do, but I think he is being naive and pandering in the extreme in not including a broad spectrum of the American public who have used the appreciation in home values over the past 10-30 years as an ATM machine and contributed to the economic problems now facing the country.

October 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  56. Mcdreamy

youtube com/watch?v=5BJ_RPu4Hws

Don't forget the period after youtube.

October 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Chad

It bothers me that keep saying "fair share" when they want some to pay a larger percentage of their income in taxes. Isn't that a contradiction? Shouldn't fair share mean the same percent?

October 25, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  58. Tim

Obama got more money from Wall Street in 2008 than any other candidate in history. He went to Hollywood and raised a million the other night. Why are the protesters not at the White House, demanding answers about the failed stimulus?

October 25, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. mary

just looked on Google MM net worth is $50Million +...is it true?

October 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  60. mike

" there will be dinosaurs on this dinosaur tour won't there" still no questions from the audience. I did not watch this for piers and moores opinions.

October 25, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  61. David James

I think we've missed something. We the people control our destiny. No, as an individual we have no power but as a collective force we can make a change across this country just by saying "NO". No to purchasing products from companies that have taken jobs to other countries. No to those that don't pay their fare share of taxes. No to governments that spend out tax dollars and pick fights with the elected president instead of working with them. NO,NO,NO

October 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JamesB

I always look to see where something is made; if it says certain countries, I leave it behind. It would make a great difference if everyone did that. Unfortunately people want a lower price point but they also want it made here. The answer is to do with less and buy what is made here.

October 25, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  62. j fichtel

Something has to give! I have three degrees, including a JD. I would welcome going back to where I was 30 years ago. I've been out of work for 18 months. I a 59 years old, and am getting interview with jobs that pay less than I made when I graduated in 1977. What's wrong with this picture????

October 25, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  63. chrisseattle

Michael Moore is a fat, hypocritical slob.

October 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  64. MikeD

I'm so tired of being responsible for my own decisions and failures! I want the government to give me a hand out, too. After all the people they steal the money from must have cheated to get it.

October 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Not Guy Fox

...love the post, Mike. You've stated quite succinctly the idiocy of the 99%...of the cry babies on this board. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

October 25, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  65. rob

Its been said, I paraphrase: When those who don't contribute receive what they need for nothing then, eventually those who do contribute will stop and join those who don't.

October 26, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  66. Lauri

Piers- Really?? Donald Trump and Birth certificate??? You are way better than that. Why are you giving this man more face time, let alone on this non-issue? What was the purpose? I felt this was demeaning to you as a credible interviewer.

October 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jerry

I agree enough of Mr. trump .

October 28, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  67. Robin

With family court judges that break the law, make their own laws and even beat their own disabled children (see link), it is no wonder why there is an outcry from "the People"

November 3, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  68. Wall stickers of birds

Spiderman wall structure stickers can be easily-removed along with recycleable. They may be self glue, before reduce and accessible as packages. Index person wall structure appliqués differ in dimensions via little 3d stickers to be able to ...great wall decals

January 27, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply