Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 26th, 2011

Mario Batali: President Obama "came into the knife fight without the knife"

Chef and TV host Mario Batali is a guest on "Piers Morgan Tonight" this evening and he talks to Piers Morgan about politics (in addition to food). "It's two sides and both quite adamant," said Batali. "Obama came in with a really great idea, and I love him, and I love what he represents, but he came into the knife fight without the knife."

Batali also talked the financial crisis. "New York City and Los Angeles are a little bit insulated from the full fallout," he said. Also on tonight's show is "Steve Jobs" biographer Walter Isaacson – tonight 9pmET/PT.

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. david williams

How To Put $75 Billion Stimulus Into the Economy With No Effect On The Deficit

After all the analyses is done the answer to the American economy is consumer spending. Unless there is more consumer spending the economy will likely stay in recession. Conversely an increase in consumer spending will likely spur hiring and the economy will likely pick up speed and there will no recession. This is in spite of congress’ action or otherwise on the ‘Jobs’ bill. The problem is, consumers have piled up their money in bank accounts because they are afraid of the recession.

How Can We Fix This?

We, the American people have to face the fact that we, not congress, not the president, not the republicans, and not the democrats, will determine whether or not there will be an improved economy. In other words, we have faced the enemy and HE IS US!!!

How Do We Get The American People To Face The Facts

The president can help here. He can pull together a group of influential people, like Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Jay Leno, Opra Winfree, etc, explain the theory and ask for their help in reaching Americans. The message is for the American people to “GET GOING AND FIX THE PROBLEM THEMSELVES!!! Congress needs to act but the main course of action is with YOU AND I, AMERICA!!

This group should ask for:

Businesses to invest in promotions to interest consumers

All media people to come up with ideas for spending money wisely, ie in home improvement, improvement in our individual ability to work, improvement in our health, improvement in our automation (computers etc)

Media people to come up with contests and promotions aimed at patriotic Americans spending in smart ways to help our country. There has never been a better reason for Americans to spend money with our merchants, ITS THEIR PATRIOTIC DUTY!!!
    The media can come up with spending targets depending on income. The average person could quickly see if they are doing their patriotic duty. The media should show how the math works to provide a good, valid stimulus from this program (my math says that 75 million families averaging $1000 apiece will pour 75 billion dollars into the economy).

David Williams, dwilli5143@aol.com

October 26, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. CP

Come on!...Piers Morgan told Mario Batali on tonight's show (Oct. 26, 2011), (paraphrasing)..."you came from a working class family", "you came from nothing"...Are you serious! Mario's dad was an executive with Boeing in Seattle that got transferred to Madrid when Mario was a junior(?) in HS school. That's where Mario learned Spanish and later Italian after he decided to cook. Check Mario's Spain video set, (which I thoroughly enjoy every time I watch it) where he talks about his Madrid experience. Piers, get your facts straight!

October 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. CPP

I do not comprehend the knife analogy. Certainly President Obama does not come across as a consensus seeker to me. His priorities were wrong. He imposed his health plan on the country at a time when the economy was the single most important priority. Obama's catering to the unions is flagrant and divisive for the nation. Are these the things Mr Batali loves about Mr Obama?

October 27, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Doug

CP: Good point. Also his wife is the heiress to the Coach fortune. Granted, he built a brand and created jobs on his own. But he definitely had some help.

October 27, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lori Donahoo

Give me a break Piers, where is you fire and objectivity? Michael Moore does NOT relate to the 1% so he is not part of the 1%?!! Why didn’t' you push him more and call him what he is a liar and why doesn’t he give some of his money away? So, is it a matter of how much of the 1% you are, I mean so James Cameron is really Mr. 1% Big Bucks, but poor Michael Moore is not?

Hmmm, I dream about being in the 1% but I still can't pay my bills and am struggling financially, but should I say I consider myself part of the 1% because I dream big?

Michael Moore dreams alright, dreams what he thinks things should be but does not live it, he just FEELS for the average person. On a separate Michael Moore note, I lost it when you had him on last time discussing Obama care & the state of the medical care. He had the audacity to say ... something to the effect of, well if Obama care was in place you would still get immediate care and MAYBE you may have to wait for a few months for a new hip or knee. Well Mr. Moore, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis work full time and had a 3rd hip revision this past December 2010 and had my hip replaced rather timely due to my PPO insurance BUT leading up to the surgery I was in EXTREME pain yet I still had to work up to the day before my surgery. What would you SAY I do Mr. Moore if I had to wait for 6 months for another joint replacement? And unfortunately I will more than likely have to have more joint replacements due to the nature of my disease. I have had a total of 6 joint replacement surgeries (some replacements are revisions because the replaced joint has worn out, they do not last forever). I did receive disability insurance but I can’t live on the $1,600.00 a month I received from disability and also used my savings to subsidize the disability payment as I recovered.

I do not want to see Obama care be implemented because I can not physically afford to wait for the bureaucracy you love Michel Moore loves much when I need more surgery. By the way the last two surgeons that operated on me within the last 2 years, one an orthopedic doctor and the other a neurosurgeon and BOTH the best in Los Angeles, did NOT participate with any of the major insurance companies also known as OUT of Network doctors. However, I made the decision I wanted the best so I am strapped with huge bills based on my personal choice. Both of these doctors are always booked and t takes weeks to get an appointment due to their skill as surgeons.

October 27, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. wedding celebrants melbourne

Wonderful work! That is the kind of information that are meant to be shared across the web. Shame on the seek engines for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and talk over with my website . Thanks =)

April 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply