Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 21st, 2011

Lenny Kravitz remembers the moment his dad walked out: "It was really detrimental"

Tonight Piers Morgan sits down with Lenny Kravitz for the hour to talk about the love of his life, his parents and much more. Kravitz's parents split up because his dad had a long history of cheating. When his dad was getting ready to move out he walked up to Kravitz and "he said, 'You'll do it, too.' And he walked out," describes Kravitz.

His dad's words really stuck with him after his dad left and inevitably it did affect him. "There were times where I did not behave properly," he says. "But I did let him know that it was really detrimental." Tune in at 9pm ET/PT for the full interview.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Gary

Love Lenny but his Mom didn't have the first network inter racial kiss. That honor goes to William Shatner and Michelle Nicholson Star Trek in the 60's. I also believe Adam West and Eartha Kitt smoothced in the 1966 Batman series.

December 21, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jennifer

Excellent interview. Its good to have connected with him; albeit, one-sided. He's a fantastic artist.

December 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. martha

I love Lenny! !!! I have a daughter that is black and white just like Lenny (I'm black Dad is white). So it's great to have someone she loves in entertainment that she can relate to.

December 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rags

If you take the time and observe the offspring of mixed race marriages, you might just notice, as I do, that the result is something much better than the individuals that started the child.
    The time will arrive when there will be one race – the Human Race. Everybody will have the same skin tone, same hair type, etc. but there will still be tose that think they're the best thing that has ever happened to this world.

December 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. DBreaux

Black and White America...
    I can totally relate because I am. Growing up in the south was no joke. I am so looking forward to seeing Lenny in Lee Daniels next film about Dr King. .
    Recently, For My wedding gift ( November 19th) My husband and I flew to Munich, Germany on Tuesday for one day to attend Lenny's concert on the 22nd and back to Houston the next morning, Thanksgiving. Lenny was amazing/ sound. lights/ the dramatic vibe opening... amazing. He opened the concert with COME ON GET IT....so, I'm doing what Mr Kravitz said by coming to get the Signed Autographed Album as indicated on air :-))).....After that kind of dedication and support and traveling so far to support Lenny as an artist/ creative force....don't you think I deserve it??????.I am putting it out there in the universe. Ask/ Align and Receive. I appreciate you Lenny!!!!

December 21, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Alysia Cosby

Excellent interview including information on his life growing up as a biracial child...I'm writing a book about the reflections of multiracial people, called "Check One Box: Reflections on Race, Ethnicity, and Color", and I'd LOVE to feature him in it! As a radio host, I respect his talent, individuality, and musicianship...as a fellow human being, I appreciate his openness and transparency during your interview! JOB WELL DONE!

December 22, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Kim

I think what his father said to him upon leaving was terribly sad, cowardly and damaging.

December 22, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Cindy E.

I love, love, love Lenny! Loved the interview! I am just a simple, middle-aged, wife and mother from central Iowa, but I think Lenny is smart and talented and just incredible. I am fascinated by his life story and I would treasure a signed copy of Black and White America, a terrific album which signifies that we are all the same, we need to be the same, we need to feel the love and show the love to everyone. Lenny, you are the best!!!! Please please please select me for a signed copy, I think you are terrific!!!!!!

December 22, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. marion

great interview thank you

December 22, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jenna Hope

Loved hearing about how Lenny has evolved into a true natural man & l love his artistry. Black and white America means so much. From the beautiful diverse ethnicity of it's people to the not so beautiful, rigid, oppressive, and shameful way it's government treats the people that makes up it's very fabric. From Black to White, America has it all – but has a long way to go to reach it's potential in living up to it's motto – freedom of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. God's people are blessed no matter what country they live in. Just love each other and all will be well.

December 23, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply