READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For January 3, 2012 – The hour arrives for the Iowa caucuses, man charged with arson in case of California fires and a dazzling meteor show expected tonight...
• Iowa Republicans to gather at caucus sites: "Tuesday night, Iowa Republicans will gather at 809 caucus sites across the state, casting ballots for their party's presidential nominee. The caucuses, the first contest in the primary and caucus calendar, most likely will not determine the eventual nominee, but they will shape the race for the White House."
• Man charged with arson in case of California fires: “A 24-year-old man was charged Monday with arson in connection with a rash of car and building fires across the Los Angeles area, authorities said. Harry Burkhart was charged with one count of arson of an inhabited dwelling and will likely face additional charges as the investigation moves forward, said Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.”
• Syrian pipeline attacked: "Syrian officials and opposition activists blamed each other for an attack on a gas pipeline near the restive city of Homs Tuesday. The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency said a 'terrorist group' had targeted the pipeline, but activists in Homs said the government blew it up itself."
• Body is man sought in park ranger slaying: “National park officials said Monday afternoon that the man found dead in Washington's Mount Rainier National Park is Benjamin Colton Barnes, the suspect in the shooting death of park ranger Margaret Anderson the previous day.”
• Dazzling meteor show expected tonight: “Meteor watchers in North America can expect to see 60 to 200 meteors an hour streak across the sky early Wednesday. NASA says the Quadrantid meteor shower should be perfect for viewing around 3 a.m. local time Wednesday after the waxing gibbous moon sets.”