Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 16th, 2012

Piers Morgan's first year at CNN: "Driven by the incredible news cycle" and "great interviews with big stars"

Piers Morgan and the staff of "Piers Morgan Tonight" are celebrating the first year of shows at CNN, with an anniversary week kicking off tonight at 9pmET/PT with Chelsea Handler interviewing Piers, Rosie O'Donnell is a guest Tuesday and former Pres. Jimmy Carter is on Wednesday. In this web video he looks back at the first year, and ahead to year two. "It's turned into much more of a news show," says Piers. "That was driven by the incredible news cycle we've had, and by the fact that my training and background is all news journalism."

Piers said the formula will remain in 2012: "When there's news, we'll do it very well, and when there's no news, we'll do great interviews with big stars." How did he get into TV?

"The main reason I got into television was because I got fired from my job as a newspaper editor, so I was kind of looking for something to do," joked Piers.

He also talked about the show's executive producer, Jonathan Wald. "He's an amazing EP, he's exasperated by my Britishness," he said.

Watch tonight's interview with Handler interviewing Piers at 9pmET/PT.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Behind The Scenes • Web Extra
  1. donna

Good luck in your start 2012.

January 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. sarah taylor

Good luck piers I love your show. I think you are brilliant at what you do. Keep it up.

January 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. stark

Piers Morgon has to be the most empty show airing on the airwaves. He is full of hot air where one can see that it doesnt come natural for him, as he tries to be someone else. This comes across as empty!!!

January 16, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. sandrag

I am sorry Piers Morgon is probably a nice person.... But WHAT IS HE DOING ON TV AS AN INTERVIEWER?????
    He does get such very interesting people, but he needs to shut up and let his guests speak.... He is so VERY not interesting – he interupts his GREAT guests to put his agenda out there – NO ONE CARES WHAT HE THINKS!!!!! And this is the person who supposedly replaced Larry King??!!! Somebody was smoking something when he was hired or he tapped into somebody's phone and has info that he is using to have this job.... 0!

January 16, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. John Gallagher

Piers, would you be willing to do an interview of Gordon Ramsay?

January 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. drsandra mann

I wanted piers to succeed. unfortunately, he is scripted , disconnected, lacking a range of intelligence and authenticity. his questions reflect a lack of depth, true curiosity and an understanding of the uniqueness of each interviewee. he is canned, superficial and seems to be looking for the "kill" . it's cringe time listening to his interviews. he tries so hard without the real interest. forced and false.

January 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Irene LaPointe

I beg to differ with the other opinions. I look forward to Piers' show nightly. He is such a gentleman and appears to always maintain a genuine kindness and tolerance towards his guests, no matter how crude they may be. I don't appreciate sarcasm in interviewers and I'll tell you why. Those who consent to be interviewed, and, I believe that goes for anyone, especially on TV, deserve to be respected and not picked apart and insulted in the public eye. I deplore the practice of baiting guests in order to anger them. Piers is one proper British gentleman, with whom I would feel very comfortable being interviewed. Chelsea Handler? Let me just say that this was a huge disappointment for me (I will own it). All she needed was gum cracking added to her rather sarcastic, disrespectful, not so eloquent, obviously pre-printed, canned questions. Sorry, did not like it at all. I only wish that there were more Piers Morgans, Phil Donahues and Anderson Coopers, gentlemen.

January 17, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. veronica

Waiting for the Rosie O & Jimmy C interviews ...Good Luck w/both !,,

January 17, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Amol

Carlos! Glad you made it and thanks for your fdbceaek. Afraid I was away working so didn't get to the show. Looking forward to catching them very soon. Piers is a really top geezer.

May 21, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse | Reply