Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 8th, 2012

Jon Voight on Mitt Romney: "He is a true American"

As the race for the GOP nomination grows more competitive with each caucus, on Wednesday Piers Morgan invited actor Jon Voight to share his political views. In his first interview since publicly endorsing Mitt Romney, the Academy Award winner explained why he backs the Republican front-runner:

"He's a fellow who shoots from the hip. He's a very charitable fellow as you probably know. And he's warm, honest. He's got great virtues."

According to Voight, Romney's values can be traced back through generations: "He is a true American. He loves America. And his entire family has always followed the true American way of hard work and success."

As the sit-down continued, Morgan asked the Hollywood legend why Romney hasn't been all that accessible of late: "Can you put a good word in, because he won't come on again," said Morgan. "And I'm not sure why."

Voight promised to do his best: "I don't know. I'll talk to him about you."

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Dan

I was driving home when I heard the words "True American" and Piers said nothing. I know what true american means and you should have asked him to elaborate or define the term. Piers, If you don't understand the american lexicon then you shouldn't be on the air. The interviewed person, who I will no longer support ment that: 1. The president is not a true american. 2. True american also means white american, I know a dog whitsle when I hear it. Peirs don't aquire tone deafness just to get a guest. Let's stop kidding ourselves.

February 9, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leah

I agree. I am black. During this election I have heard that code racist speech time and time again. I'm sick of it. And Angelina's dad is a racist. I hate the fact that Zahara has him for a grandfather. I have had it with Piers downing Americans on the slick also. No one is forcing him to interview Americans every night.

February 9, 2012 at 4:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • james gleason

I also agree. I can't believe Piers Morgan let that "true american" comment go by without asking that right wing zealot to explain it. Piers Morgan is incompetent. He should stick to talent and game shows.

February 9, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • John

By ditching the soil, I meant iworgng in composted yardwaste instead of the "soil" we're blessed with here in FLA: Our soil is essentially sand with very little in the way of organic material or clay. At least it's well drained... And about iworgng tomatoes in N Florida during the cold season: I fear that your tomatoes will bear little this time of the year. Tomatoes (and eggplants, peppers, okra) don't do well in temperatures under 80: They don't grow much, and many won't set fruit. (You might get blossoms, but no fruit will form.) It MIGHT be possible to nurse them through to March by covering them every time it gets below 34, when they'll take off, but I doubt it's worth your while.

March 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • BMK

I agree there so much hate and hypocracy going on TV. I would have expected this Shawn Henady Not Piers.

February 9, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike W

Jon Voight's not-so-veiled racist jibe at the President and Piers Morgan's failure to take issue with it shows both don't belong on the air. Voight doesn't think blacks are real Americans and Morgan has utterly failed as a journalist because he doesn't understand American code-speak.

February 9, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Don Witke

You guys are all dumb. He was giving a compliment to Governor Romney. That doesn't mean he was saying anything about Obama. You guys are hypersensitive babies!

February 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wilson

Thank you for sharing!! I loved my time as a high shocol small group leader and only hope I impacted the girls God entrusted to me. I hope someone invests in my children as Morgan invested in you. What a precious servant of the Lord Jesus.

March 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jaden

there goes my respect for Voight as being a badass. any real patriot knows Ron Paul is the real deal. apparently, Voight is a globalist...

February 9, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • james gleason

any "real patriot" wouldn't question the patriotism of other americans simply because they don't support the same political candidate you do. that's fascism, not patriotism.

February 9, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Donald in CA

I get so tired of these right wingers trying to tell folks what a true american is. Like they are the only ones who know what the formula is. It wasnt that long ago they where saying you had to believe in bushs iraq war to be a true american. Jon voight is a long time racist who should be working on his long lost acting chops.

February 9, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bob

"Shoots from the hip?" Probably wanted to say, "He's a straight shooter." Some of his supporters might like that, though.

February 9, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. John Wayne

I'd rather go through the detectors at the airport than have to pass through Jon Voight's "True American" detector. And Mr. Morgan disqualifies himself, absolutely, as a journalist, the moment he fails to insist that Voight define his term.

February 9, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. diane

Piers is so happy to get guests that he rarely grills them. Instead he just plays along. Anderson Cooper would have been a much better choice for this show.

They say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but in Angelina's case that appears not to be true. I would not want this guy to be grandfather to my kids. Does he feel that his adopted grandchildren aren't truly American too? According to report I have read, much of the issue between him and Angelina is that she felt abandoned when her parents divorced and they struggled financially although Voight had a movie career. If this is true, I would say his isn't a "true American."

February 9, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. GailS

I think he's implying our current president isn't a "real" American. No wonder Angelina doesn't speak to him.

February 9, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Edfromca

A real American loves his country, that let's Obama out. If you think"real American" has anything to do with race,than you are a bigoted piece of Piers Morgan.

February 13, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. GEORGE

MITT ROMNEY AVOIDED THE DRAFT FOR THE VIET NAM WAR..HE GOT DEFERMENTS WENT TO FRANCE TO HELP THE POOR THEN LIVED IN A MANSION W/SERVANTS...NONE OF HIS 5 SONS HAVE EVER SERVED IN THE MILITARY...ALL THE 18 YR OLS THAT WE KNOW REGISTERED FOR THE DRAFT IMMEDIATELY...HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE POOR..HE LEFT DETROIT & SUBURBS & NEVER RETURNED TO HELP THE HOMELESS & POOR CHILDREN...HIS POWER IS HIS WEALTH..SADLY ...

February 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. S0ul

I used to respect Jon Voight as an actor until he define the term 'true American'. I lost respect to him after he say those comments. I guess Jon is another Republican nutjob who does not want to be tax like some of the rich class and maybe racist.

February 11, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jack london

Back in england piers Morgan is known as a double dealing, forked tongued, back stabbing former editor of a low class newspaper which sought power over politicians by constantly threatening to degrade them and their party. Any intelligent u.s. Politicos will avoid him like the plague!

February 12, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. houdini help desk

Hi there, You have performed a fantastic job. I'll certainly digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.

April 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. akwarystyka

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered shiny clear idea

April 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. naklejki

I have read a few excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much attempt you place to make such a wonderful informative website.

April 23, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply