Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 27th, 2012

Bill Maher on donating $1M to Obama Super Pac: "These Republicans scare me"

On Monday comedian Bill Maher sat down with Piers Morgan for a live – and lively – interview, touching upon everything from gun control to baseball's designated-hitter.

Well-versed on a variety of topics, it's often politics which fuels his fodder, and in the primetime exclusive Maher did not disappoint. On the heels of his 10-digit donation to Barack Obama's reelection, the comedian and actor explained what was on his mind, when he put his hand in his pocket:

"I wanted to make the point that this really hurt. It does hurt me to write a check for a million dollars," confessed Maher. "I wanted to sort of inspire a lot of the people out there on the left who are rich, who this wouldn't hurt at all. There's lots of people who will never miss a million dollars. I will miss it. I'll miss it badly."

A specialist in satirical stand-up, the host of HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher" admits he's been disappointed at times with the President, but feels the current resident of the White House is a far better option than those knocking on the door:

"These Republicans scare me. You know, if this was Europe and we had 10 parties to choose from, maybe I would feel different. Yes, Obama has disappointed me in some ways," Maher told the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host. "But, after watching these Republicans debate for this last year and hearing their ideas for the country, not only do I think it's for the betterment of the nation, I would do this on a selfish level."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Bill Maher reveals the new, part-time job he's picked up in the evenings to help compensate for his recent donation.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Kevin Lee

Bill Clinton signed repeal of Glas Steagal and the total deregulation of credit default swaps !

February 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Madge

Yes, Bill Clinton signed that law into effect BUT look who sponsored it: Three Republicans. One of which is Phil Gramm, who was poised to become the next Economic Advisor had McCain won. I did get a tiny shred of joy from this comment however, since finally I'm not hearing that it was all "CRA's" fault for the housing disaster.

March 1, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. glenn gingold

I enjoyed your interview with Bill Maher but please relay this to him. I am a liberal, Democrat, atheist, went to a 4 year college and a 4 year medical school and am not a snob BUT I WATCH NCIS all the time, record it if I am not at home and watch the reruns on cable. Live with it Bill!

February 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Soraya

These Republicans scare him ?
    Ah ! Sure !
    His is a sweet creature !

February 27, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jummy7

You need to shut up about the million dollars. Don't expect anyone to believe how much you're hurting from this donation. You can take it off on your taxes you fool. Also, show us the receipt from Obama's campaign.

Give the money and stop lobbying for a cabinet position. You are a stupid ass and we have enough of those in Washington.

Now, go make fun of Muslim because they believe in a God too. Just ask Barrack!.

February 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JUNE MURACO

You have a way of talking about issues and or people that you disagree with, that does not encourage change or dialogue from those who you have offended.

February 28, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JTHartke

Also, this is NOT a tax deductible donation. No political donation is. Again, facts do not get in the bubble.

February 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jennifer

Least constructive thought process ever. I feel bad for those who have to deal with you face to face when anyone decides to talk of the president.

February 28, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marty

I agree totally. CNN puts these goofy asses that pretend to be poorer than they really are on just so we will all react. They don't even get 10 percent of the veiwers they use to because since uncle Ted sold out who was in my opinion a good liberal ( at least he wasn,t two faced like Maher ) they lost all credibility. It's sad to see such a biased bunch of communist as they put on CNN . Only cnbc is worse and they should,t even have a license to air, they lie so much.

March 4, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • mishi greene

I find it humorous that you rant and rave at CNN while Fox wraps it circus around "fair and balanced" with Sarah [the brain] Palin is brought out to show how intelligent the network really is!

March 4, 2012 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. Wayne

I really like watching Piers, it feels like you are part of a exclusive club of the 25 or so people watching.

February 28, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. The interrupters

We at We Interrupt This Broadcast have always been a friend of Bill, and we back him up still.

February 28, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. June Muraco

This is for Piers Morgan, As I watched your show with Bill Mahr as your guest, talking about Obama and guns in America. I would ask you, how you would go about dealing with the most powerful NRA, when some time back a politician who was anti guns, was threatened by the NRA. Do you realize that they have power beyond the government? Just try to enforce any kind of gun law and see what the repercussions are. We surely can't drop a bomb on them. You would start a revolution, since they would fight back, and not just with words. You have to understand the power and unrelenting attacks and threats on anyone even suggesting to enforce laws dealing with their ownership of guns, ( 2nd Amendment reason), no matter how many and how powerful and how inappropriate their stash of high power guns is not needed just to protect their homes. It's the same story about drug cartels buying guns in Texas. Mexican government wanting the US to curb the sale and supply of guns to them, but those guys selling these weapons will not even budge to deter the cartel from getting as many guns as they want. It just ain't gonna happen. We are not free people.

February 28, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim

"It's the same story about drug cartels buying guns in Texas. Mexican government wanting the US to curb the sale and supply of guns to them, but those guys selling these weapons will not even budge to deter the cartel from getting as many guns as they want. It just ain't gonna happen."

I'm afraid that you are very uninformed. Just ask Obama and Eric Holder's BATFE to stop selling guns to cartels. Does "Fast and Furious" sound familiar? Arizona gun stores alerted BATFE that straw buyers were buying hundreds of guns. The Government said "sell them anyway" while they took pictures outside of the buyers. Tracking guns they allowed to be sold into Mexico? Impossible. This was to blame gun stores for selling these guns. But, there was a paper trail exonerating gun shops in "Fast and Furious. The Feds never wanted you to know this happened. They allowed thousands of guns to go to Mexico. You need to complain to Obama, not the NRA.
      Calderon's begging the US not to sell guns is disingenuous at the least. So are Holder's lies about this BATFE gun walking that resulted in deaths of U.S. Lawmen. How pathetic.

February 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jeanne Turkenkopf

I was very intrigued with the Bill Maher interview, especially in reference to the gun issue.

My husband and I moved from New Jersey in October of 2010 to the state of Utah. I am a liberal and you may ask why I was crazy enough to move to such a conservative area. The only thing that brought me here was to be close to my granddaughters. It is also the only thing that keeps me here. It has been quite a culture shock. I joked with coworkers before the move that I was going to “turn a red state blue” (sung to the tune of “Don’t it make my brown eyes blue”) but I promised myself I could make it easier to adjust by putting politics aside altogether.

It didn’t take long to break that promise. In February of 2011 I read an article that a representative in the Utah State Senate proposed the M1911 as the official state gun of Utah. This occurred after this gun was used to shoot Gabby Giffords and others in Arizona. I wrote to that representative in protest, but the gun culture here is rabid. Utah became the first, and I believe is it still the only state with a “state gun” It is shameful.

An internet gun blog praised this action while posting the following statistic: “Utah has unusually lenient gun ownership laws, attracting revenue from out-of-state gun owners. Of the 67,000 concealed-weapon permits issued in Utah in 2010, 51,000 were sold to non-residents.”.

The NRA and its followers scream “Second Amendments rights!” but all they quote from it is “the right to bear arms” That is out of context. The complete amendment is: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

In the meantime, there will be many more incidents in this country when we will mourn for the senseless deaths that occur around us.

And by the way, Mr. Maher, my husband and I watch NCIS and love it! Who doesn’t love Gibbs?

February 28, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

Uh, actually she was shot with a glock 19 (9 mm), not a M1911 (.45 caliber). And that militia argument is nonsense and the 2nd amendment has been upheld, stop tryin to take away my right to defend my life and property because of your own views. There are shady people out there who will get guns regardless and the government or police can't always be there on time to defend my life and property!

February 28, 2012 at 4:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jeanne

Even if I got the gun wrong, it's a shame you're ok with the situation; and your "right" was upheld because the Supreme Court has yet to show the guts to do it's job. The problem with guns is that's they're in the hands of humans, shady or not. Bad people are not the only ones who use them to kill. Even you, Mr. Dave, being only human after all, can be driven to the point of using one in the wrong way. Why make it so easy?

February 28, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • jghilty

"The amendment refers to having a militia, necessary at the end of the 1700’s but not necessary today. It did not acknowledge the need for “arms” for hunting or entertainment or personal protection and when we have a Supreme Court with enough backbone, they will clarify that point."

I'm sure it will also come as a shock to you that the Militia Act of 1792 is still law. Every male between 18 and 45 is a member.

"I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every free able-bodied male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia, by the Captain or Commanding Officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this Act. And it shall at all time hereafter be the duty of every such Captain or Commanding Officer of a company, to enroll every such citizen as aforesaid, and also those who shall, from time to time, arrive at the age of 18 years, or being at the age of 18 years, and under the age of 45 years (except as before excepted) shall come to reside within his bounds; and shall without delay notify such citizen of the said enrollment, by the proper non-commissioned Officer of the company, by whom such notice may be proved.

And, this does not refer to the National Guard, which was established by the Militia Act of 1903.

February 28, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. CabbageHead

I like you Bill, put your Money Were Your Mouth Is! Normally, most of your colleagues and friends would have donated to Priority USA, we are in 30 years of Reagonomics. I am scared like you. If Willard, Santorium, or Newt develop rules of the game for the next 4years, we will be slaves if democrats don't have SuperPacs- Follow the Money. Soldiers fight for their Freedoms, Rich People pay because they won't fight, right?

February 28, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. George

While Bill Maher is free to his opinion, I find it interesting that he can mock Catholics and prayer, but does not dare mock any other religion. Why would he not mock Muslims or Jews that pray, the way he laughs at Catholics?
    Come on Bill, I dare you to specifically mention either of these religions when you're mocking Catholics.
    Piers sat during the interview looking admiringly at Maher and did not once challenge anything that was said.
    CNN's interviewers are really lightweight .

February 28, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gail

Agree, Piers did a lousy job and didn't challange Maher on his "humor" or his obvious bias. The man is not funny and helps solidify partisan division. He is offensive, a fool & his ignorance was broadcast loud & clear.
      Piers is dissappointing–Hope he reviews his questions for his other like minded guests and then does his job.

February 28, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • LawnSausage

Religion is igorance

February 28, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • robert

he goes after all religions. i've see real time and he pulls no punches. catholicism, islam, and especially mormonism are all fair game. he even had a skit where he de-baptized mitt romney's father-inl-law after they baptized him after his death. apparantly he was a scientist and opposed religion.

February 28, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • TAY

OMG THAT WAS THE FUNNIST THING!!! I LOVE THAT GUY

February 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tay

obviously you dont watch Bill because he talks about all religions including Muslims and is very actually hard on them when it comes to how they treat their women..So STFU and talk waht you know NEXT

February 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nancy

Maybe you should watch Bill Maher's move. Bill is absoutely fantastic. He is never afraid to speak the truth. Where is Honesty, truth and come sence ? We are fed pack of lies and and afraid to wake why ?

February 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jennifer

Go rent religiolus. Maybe thats not spelled right. Oh well, i doubt you'd watch.. i gather from this rant that you must prefer to be uninformed. Basically, you're wrong pal.

February 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Darren Starr

Haha... He does rag on Catholics a bit much. Don't worry, he's not singling them out. It's just that Catholics are such easy targets. They have guilt like the Jews, their leaders are virgin (except the alter boys) men wearing dresses, they are almost precisely the thing their "lord" spoke out against the most. They walk around holding funny looking beads and pray to idols... Both mortal sins by their religion. I won't even start on the current pope... It would be like picking on a down syndrome child... Easy but just wrong. We should go easier on him, I don't think even his followers take him seriously.

You have got to love Catholics. First they gave us 1800 years of world oppression. Now we can use that for a few thousand hours of standup comedy :)

February 28, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lorrie

I think Bill Maher put his money where is mouth is. I think he is one of the only sane voices out there. Yes he is opinionated , but he dosn't sound like an ignaramous unlike the current Conservative candidates. Oh and just so you know I am an independant, Catholic , stay at home Mom of two. Republicans today scare me to Bill!

February 28, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nan

Republican scare every one and it's not yet Halloween. Just google all the lies Newts says.

February 28, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Thorn

President Obama should think twice before accepting Bill Maher's money, otherwise he has to answer for the Maher's extremist statements about wishing the death to vice president Cheney and many other equally offensive and repulsive statements he said on his show over the years. President Obama definitely doesn't need Mr Maher's baggage.

February 28, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. KA

Bill Maher scares ME. What Bill needs is a good ol', on-his-knees, "Help me, Lord; I can't do this myself" moment to help him apreciate that there's an all-powerful force that works WITH us if we will only humble ourselves enough to ask. In the same vein that a millionaire won't appreciate an extra dollar, but a homeless man will, Bill needs a good dose of "needing a miracle and getting one." I'm praying for you, Mr. Maher; not that I personally can help you, but "You-Know-Who" can. Please think about it before too much time goes by... and please don't let your faithless opinions rub off on those that depend on you. Amen!

February 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JDemilo

Bill Maher doesn't need your prayers and doesn't believe in your imaginary sky god.

February 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jay Paul 904

Agree . Go splash ur self with some water say 12 hail Mary's and hopefully the sky god who is listing to h and the other 1 billion ppl at the same time hears u an strikes down vengeance on bill!

February 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • : )

Bill is doing great job. He is honest and truthful. Bill does not need to be fed lies or feeds you lies. If you need to pray please pray from the Rupublican party, that feeds you fear and lies to control your mind. Bill just pokes fun at all the idiots and makes us laugh : )
      try laughing its a good thing.

February 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • The Interrupters

February 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • The Interrupters

Again a bunch of incompetent religious fanatics attacking Bill Maher. Way to prove your points, can't win without an "almighty deity" on your side... It's like arguing with a bunch of schoolhouse children playing doctor. He was asked about Tebow and he gave his opinion, he did not just catch a case of tourette syndrome and start arbitrarily start blurting out anti religion rhetoric! Calm down and meditate... Jesus Christ

February 28, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. greg

A "10-digit donation"? Someone needs a fact-checking editor, and some math education! It wasn't a BILLION-dollar donation...

February 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jennifer

I knew ten digit didnt settle in my mind for a reason... like everyone else i was too amped on my own opinions to consider it
      Tsk. Bill Maher has an entire movie mocking religion, all of it, and he makes brilliant points all through it. I'm not entirely liberal, i don't agree with all if it, but i am thankful he donated to obama... from a global perspective, our president is one of the last reputable things about this cointry.

February 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jay Paul 904

And u forgot if it was up to religion we r the only galaxy everything rotates around us. There are no cavemen just Adam and eve and dinosaurs ha, they r just. Bones placed under millions of years of rock and sediment placed here by lucifer himself on his way down from heaven cause he was cast out by the one and only sky god who also made man from Adam and eve. I mean duh , I guess the scientific community didn't get the memo. It probably cause mail dosnt come to demons destined to go to hell anyways . How stupid can I be? Lemme just pray for newt to become president so he can cheat in his wife again and show us all how to be men of morals and faith !

February 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matthew

Right on!! And, pray, tell me why would such a sky god make Dinosaurs and then destroy them before he "made" Adam and eve, (as some kid asked – Did he hate the Dinosaurs) as it is now scientifically proven that Dino's existed millions of years before humans. Believers have serious Logic issues and that is precisely why we can't have loony republicans sitting on the Presidential throne with a finger on the NUCLEAR BUTTON!

February 29, 2012 at 4:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. KA

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

February 28, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Darren Starr

Let's summarize for religious people why people like Bill can't take them seriously.

There's a popular bumper sticker "Jesus! How can a billion people be wrong?"

Yeh... Ok... Don't see my point yet? How about we ask the nearly 1.8 billion Buddhists or the nearly billion Hindu? Or if there's a billion followers of "hell, we liked him so much we killed him twice" Jesus (and it's more like two), what about the other 5-6 billion people who don't believe in him.

So, to put a bumper sticker on your car as proof of Jesus which really says "sure, there's 7 billion people on the planet and the vast majority disagrees, but a billion is a big number, so it must be right, right?" makes it so you can imagine that same guy feeding quarters into a slot machine that's not even turned on.

This is what Bill refers to as the bubble.

February 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Matthew

The more I see Bill, the more I'm convinced that common sense will finally prevail over these hate mongering religious fanatics, be it Santorum or Osama bin laden. It's unbelievable that in America, we could have a Republican waging a war against women, gays and other groups that don't conform to his narrow minded pettiness. And all of this in that name of that master proponent of peace and brotherhood – Jesus Christ. The fact that Santorum is getting away with this religious nonsense, where ppl have now stopped grilling him over Real issues which will require Presidential action leads to a question – Are we headed the TALIBAN way. Ludicrous as this may sound now, it seems to become a possibility as days go by

February 29, 2012 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. KinAZ

Kudos Bill! I have always enjoyed your shows. I thank YOU for stepping up to the plate!
    You are opinionated, but at least you have more facts and can defend your statements. The republican debates and the 'stellar' candidate pool are making my vote for Obama a no brainer.

February 29, 2012 at 3:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Sona

Maher may be a jerk but he is honest and real and he was just being cotsisnent on this one. Kudos to him for doing the right thing for once.I couldn't help but notice in the video clips what a jerk Chris Matthews is which is why I'm going to do a special post on him and Keith Olbermann for their hate issues.

April 3, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Desrene

I love Bill Maher, he 's so honest in his speach,he's one of the good guys. Support your president, he's a good guy too,and may God bless him.I am praying for him ,to win again. He knows what poor is like, he can relate to it. Romney does not know any thing about to be poor.He talks about driving big cars, what does he ever do for the poor. can he relate to them?He keep throwing ever body under the bus, including the president. That's not nice. we are fearfully and wonderfully made by God. Have a good day.

April 4, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Join Scentsy Canada Sell Scentsy Canada Become a Scentsy Consultant Canada Sell Scentsy Online Sell Scentsy Candles Online Sell Candle Make Money Sell Candles from Home Start a Candle Business Online Work from Home Legitimate Ways to Make Money Online Leg

Thanks for another informative website. Where else could I get that kind of info written in such a perfect manner? Thanks for the share.

April 7, 2012 at 7:20 am | Report abuse | Reply