Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 28th, 2012

Bill Maher on guns in America: "This is a gun culture, we love guns"

On Monday comedian and television host Bill Maher joined "Piers Morgan Tonight" for a candid and revealing interview. Touching upon everything from politics to film, the host of HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher" also spoke to gun control, in the wake of the Ohio high school shootings:

"Do we have to adore them, do we have to love them so much? I look at guns like antibiotics," said Maher. "You know, maybe sometimes you need them, but I don't kiss my antibiotics, I don't polish them. I don't worship my amoxicillin. If I need it, it's there."

As the discussion continued, the satirical specialist recalled the Tuscon shootings that injured Gabrielle Giffords, taking issue with certain perspectives:

"I remember when she came back the Congress they said it was a great feel-good story. And I said, maybe we need a feel-bad story, to wake people up a little bit about guns.

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Bill Maher compares guns to religion, and reveals how he wishes Barack Obama would handle the issue .

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Bill

Bill Maher, quite possibly the most irrelevant person in the world giving us his idiotic insights into the world. What a joke. The whole world isn't laughing with you Bill, the whole world is laughing at you you fool.

February 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • drewP

Piers and Bill seem to be suffering from low "T".

February 28, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tina

Speak for yourself, you egomaniac! Just because you do not like him does not mean 'the whole world' agrees with you. If he is 'irrelevant' why was he able to provoke you to comment? Is your time on this planet so worthless? His intelligence may intimidate you (perhaps even drive you to be spiteful), but do not worry because you can go get your fill of banal nonsense at Fox to make you feel better.

February 28, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • drewp

tina, tina, tina.....

February 29, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. LJ

Out law guns and outlaws will have them. This is a fact. This will leave the law abiding citizens vulnerable to crimes commited by criminals and psychos. IITS NOT THE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS WHO OWNS OR LEGALLY CARRIES THAT IS COMMITING CRIMINAL ACTS AGAINST OTHERS, its those who defiy the law for their own gain or simply out of madness who are to blame. Law abiding citizens who have a right to own a fire arm and in many jurisdictions are licensed to carry concealed weapons this shall remain, however, DOJ background checks and training should be mandatory for all gun sales just as it is mandatory for the right to carry a concealed weapon. Instead of suppressing the law abiding citizen's 2nd Amendment right, simply deal the harshist punishment to those who use a gun with criminal intent and this should include immediate capitol punishment without appeals for any gun related homicide.

February 29, 2012 at 3:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

Such nonsense. First of all most western countries have much stricter gun control laws and they aren't overrun with gun wielding psychos, quite the opposite. Second no one is trying to outlaw guns. That's just hyperbole. Third, capital punishment without appeal would be considered a breach of the 5th and 8th ammendments. I'm not sure how your 2nd ammendment right can be considered more important than either of thos two ammendments.

February 29, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Monty

Chris,
        You appear to be the psyco in thi s arguement, legal ownership isn't the problem. Mentaly unstable
        People, outlaws and gang bangers are the problem. Plus the likes of Micheal Moore, maher and the English Morgan.

November 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • torsten

Capitol punishment, you mean they have to elected to Congress, that's inhumane.

March 24, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • torsten

be elected to Congress oops!

March 24, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. Robt

I don't think these individuals realize that freedom and safety isn't free. In the past and today, US citizens, police, and the military are using firearms to defend American's freedoms and safety. Firearms are tools. People that use them effectively need practice and need to keep them well maintained/cleaned. When one says, "all we need is the police and military" it makes me wonder what they would say to the 1.2 million U.S. Citizens and their families that are victims of violent crime each year.

February 29, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Adepaola

I am pretty disappointed in Piers Morgan after this. Bill Maher I never particularly cared for, but to listen to these two slam gun owners as in love with their weapons is insulting. To imply that as a group we are responsible for the kids who use guns to commit crimes against their peers is an unfair generalization. I am a big proponent of personal responsibility. And I take my gun ownership very personally. I own a firearm because I live in a remote area and my life and my children's lives are worth protecting. When my firearm is not securely in its holster, it is unloaded and locked in a safe to which my children have neither the key nor the combination. If the authorities want to prosecute adults who leave guns in unsafe conditions, go right ahead. But don't paint lawful gun owners as "in love" with their firearms. Believe me, I wish I didn't need to own one. Responsible ownership is key. Shall we ban pit bulls because of the thousands that are cruelly trained and forced to kill by criminals?

February 29, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • torsten

I've lived my whole life in areas where guns(mostly for hunting) are an everyday part of life and there are nuts out there that fetishize them.

March 24, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Peter

I'm a gun owner, and own my guns for self-defense purposes and recreational shooting. A gun is a tool. It has it's purpose and law abiding citizens who can pass a background and mental health check should be able to own firearms without intereference from the government, and should be able to carry a firearm if properly trained. Yet, I've got to admit, Maher has a point. I do sometimes find it odd that many gun owners refer to their guns as "she" or as "safe queens" and "drool over" this or that gun. Read some posts on online gun forums and you'll see what I mean. That doesn't mean they are bad people, but it is a bit strange.

February 29, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. John

What else could you expect from this little socialist worm? He doesn't polish his antibiotics? Why not, won't they function? If you don't clean, polish, and use your firearm, it will not be ready for use when you need it, unlike his anti-biotics. But being such a gun fan he would know that. Yeah, this is America and we are a gun culture, we have guns and use guns. We are not going to give them up either.

February 29, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. wdebit

I think blaming all gun owners for the tragedies involving guns is rediculous. I own several guns for self defense and recreation. I treat them with the utmost respect and take ownership very seriously. Our society has become so cold to violence that everything appears as a game now. Terrible tragedies keep happening, but they are forgotten the next day and lessons are not learned from them. Take away the right to bear arms and the only people who will be bearing them are the convicts that our justice system keeps putting back on the street.

February 29, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Rod

test

February 29, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Rod

Have you seen the movie "Saving Private Ryan"? Can anyone watch this film without considering what it must have been like to be in the boots of a 19 year old soldier, coming under a hail of MG42 fire as soon as the door of your landing craft opened, and trying to crawl your way up the beach at Normandy, clutching an M1 Garand for dear life? My brother owns an M1 Garand, and sometimes we take it out of his gun safe (where he very responsibly stores it), and hold it (after checking to be sure the weapon is unloaded, and no round is in the chamber of course), and yes "adore" it, for its robust, reliable, accurate lethality, and for the men who carried its 9.5 lbs into battle. I'm in awe of this rifle while also deploring the necessary evil of it. I fervently wish that someday humanity evolves beyond the willingness to take the lives of others to further their own desires or ideology. But, we're not there yet, and may never be. And until that day, we're better off protecting our rights to the means necessary for our defense, as individuals, and as a nation.

February 29, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dr. Alan Walton

Dear Piers,

Enjoy all your shows, particularly the interview with Bill Maher. However, I was extremely irritated by your constant reference to atheism as a weird minority cult.

Most academic scientists are atheists, agnostics or non believers and the two most famous physicists of the last century (Einstein and Feynman) are among many famous atheists.

I would suggest that you read Richard Dawkins’ New York Times best seller, the God Delusion. Dawkins is now Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Oxford – our fellow native Brit methinks.

He gives extensive statistics on the number of atheists in various countries. Generally, the better educated the country, the higher the percentage of non believers (America is the main exception).

The most religious people in the world are Muslims – want to join them?

Sincerely,

Alan G. Walton Ph.D., D.Sc.
    Emeritus Professor Molecular Biology, Case Western Reserve University
    Emeritus Professor Biological Chemistry, Harvard Medical School

February 29, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Evelyn

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if we could all publicly, however we might feel in private, respect each other equally as long as we all commit to a set of commonly agreed-upon standards (laws)? I think perhaps one small way to do that is to avoid taking parting jabs at groups with whom we do not agree.

March 1, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • xnay

Doc . Hate to break this to you but Einstein was not an athiest.

February 17, 2013 at 8:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Daniel Herley

I am disappointed that neither Bill Maher, and especially Piers Morgan, know enough about the Second Amendment to quote the first half of it in their discussion about guns in the US.. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..." I see the words "well-regulated" and "Militia" which mean that the Second Ammendment is a collective, not an individual, right, and that regulation is allowed. The NRA and others ignore the first half of the amendment. I see many legitimate uses and needs for the private ownership of guns, and I am not anti-gun, but I am anti-unregulated-gun. There definitely must be boundaries for private ownership of guns such as AK 47's? hand grenades? anti-tank rifles? rocket launchers? etc. In addition, the argument that guns don't kill people, people kill people is silly. Cars don't go 70 mph, people go 70 mph. I have yet to see a person go 70 mph (sky diving excluded) without the use of a machine. People with guns intentionally kill many more people than people without guns . It is the People/Gun combination that definitely kills people. If you remove the gun component, you reduce the kills dramatically.

February 29, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Barabas

Why are these 2 fools still on TV?

I really don't care about their opinions. They're worth what I paid for them, absolutely zero.

What I don't understand is why the networks seem committed to giving them a platform for their bloviations.

February 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • will

yet your on the blog site....to me it seems like u can't get enough....

June 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

So why don't you go back to watching Faux News, troll.

August 26, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Corey

All of these gun control advocates are total hypocrites. If someone wants to own a gun, than they only way you will get them to give it up, is if you threaten them with mens with guns.

That's the reality of gun control laws. If you don't give up your guns when the government says give up your guns, they will send men with guns after you.

February 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Erg

When drug laws control illegal drugs I'll start believing that gun laws can control gun crime. Yet, having said this, I still think we ought to be thinking about workable solutions to the terrible school shootings and other mass murders that have occurred recently. And I say this as a gun owner who would welcome any effective crime-reduction measures, even if they affected me & my guns.

February 29, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Stevie

First let me say Bill, you are an idiot. Guns dont kill people, people do. Also, to Piers Morgan, the right to bear arms is an amendment written by our forefathers so that people could protect themselves from bad people. There is no amendment proclaiming the deaths of children and adults by guns. Instead of going after the guns, change the way TV is viewed. Kids see constant violence on TV and that is what they grow up and believe. Change the laws of the criminals so that if someone takes a life, automatically he gives his or her life. And no 20 year wait on death row. As for gun control laws, when you take the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, criminals will control the US with fear and rampage because they will ALWAYS be able to get a gun.

February 29, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Evelyn

So, you are proposing curbing First Amendment rights (freedom of speech) and also rights granted by Amendments 5 and 8 (due process, cruel and unusual punishment), but somehow Second Amendment rights are unassailable and holy?

March 1, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Indrie

Helen –Actually, it would be a cheap one, much like gratuitously drnggiag in someone's religion or lack thereof into a political discussion. Atheists can be liberal or conservative (me) and blind followers can be liberal or conservative. Blind adoration is not linked to any form of religious belief. Read much to me like male-bashing reads to some men. You could have made your point without besmirching non-believers. Utterly unnecessary. Thusly:I really think it is because far left liberals see Obama as kind of a Messianic figure futhering their pet causes, like gun control or healthcare.

April 4, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Edward C

Someone should let this idiot know that guns have multiple purposes, whereas antibiotics only have one...

March 1, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Evelyn

How is that relevant?

March 1, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mark

I think a better argument would be that it's simply not FUN to "kiss and polish" my antibiotics. It is, however, fun to shoot guns at the range. This point is apparently missed or dismissed by Maher.

March 2, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Meenakshi

I feel like you could probably teach a class on how to make a great blog. This is fstatanic! I have to say, what really got me was your design. You certainly know how to make your blog more than just a rant about an issue. Youve made it possible for people to connect. Good for you, because not that many people know what theyre doing.

June 27, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jared

Bill Maher is angry because it is a Federal offense to smoke marijuana while possessing a firearm.

If you want to do a real news story on firearms in America, do a story on why the mainstream media refuses to run the thousands of stories in which private U.S. citizens use their firearms to protect themselves or other private citizens from criminals. These stories do not go completely unpublished. However, it is usually the small, local papers, local news channels, and social media writers who cover them. Not ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN, etc. Not the Washington Post, the NY Times, etc.

March 5, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Col

The problem isn't too many guns, it's that we're prohibited from legally carrying them to protect each other. Crazy guy who shoots students wasn't legal, and the students/teachers were legal, but unarmed. Would crazy guy have tried if concealed carry were legal at the school? Would he have killed so many at the college? Fact: in states where guns may be carried there is less crime and, surprisingly, people don't just shoot each other when they get in arguments, etc. Crime goes down, safety goes up when people are allowed their God-given right to self defense.

March 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dismayed

The Lott study has severe methodological flaws. The is no evidence that Right to Carry laws lower crime, None. Zero. Nada. But I'm certain that you won't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

December 15, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. hurts to swallow

Somebody necessarily help to make critically posts I might state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I surprised with the research you made to create this actual publish extraordinary. Excellent task!

June 6, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jaskirat

Can I just say what a reduction to serach out somebody who really is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know the way to bring an issue to gentle and make it important. More folks need to learn this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant believe youre not more in style because you positively have the gift.

June 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Plaidally

adQm ntI kzEl LtcLk Brs http://www.chloesinsakujp.com/ jdIq bbZ ycHb LcrEe [url=http://www.chloesinsakujp.com/]クロエ バッグ[/url] mlYw llG tuNj QgdZc Wbx http://www.dioroutsalejp.com/ pnQm qpV ouSm OarUz [url=http://www.dioroutsalejp.com/]dior バッグ[/url] rmBg ixK djMi GgiUv Fjz http://www.mcmsinsaku.com/ nlQq izF caBm OnhYk [url=http://www.mcmsinsaku.com/]mcm[/url] msXj ogO qjNq UtuDq Vgc http://www.pradadendou.com/ qjPo wkD wfHb WaqPw [url=http://www.pradadendou.com/]プラダ バッグ[/url] xaUy cxB deFt JywZt Taz http://www.jpsyaneru.com/ yfDj thQ vmKr WjpJp [url=http://www.jpsyaneru.com/]chanel バッグ[/url] cnUk clJ pjXy BcxYr Ttp http://www.jpko-chi.com/ rkBn qsH egVb YwsHr [url=http://www.jpko-chi.com/]コーチ 店舗[/url] pxMn weJ zgSh JazEe Gge http://www.jpgucchininnki.com/ fsEs csW drDx SviQm [url=http://www.jpgucchininnki.com/]グッチ バッグ[/url] muEh fcH hwUy HyuVl Uhz http://www.jpvitonsaisin.com/ mnQx riX zlKf ObnFz [url=http://www.jpvitonsaisin.com/]ルイヴィトン 店舗[/url]

April 9, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Fermamidawefe

WbG h uhVB http://www.mcmonlinshop.com/ WlX j taNN qyJY [url=http://www.mcmonlinshop.com/]MCM バッグ[/url] OfF yjKF r tyXA http://www.mcmninkiya.com/ QkU hvEH r teLB veXW [url=http://www.mcmninkiya.com/]MCM 店舗[/url] PnL w agMO http://www.mcmtsuhan.com/ JnZ s tvTV avPF [url=http://www.mcmtsuhan.com/]mcm 財布[/url] NqS m kiTM http://www.mcmsaito.com/ SoH n ocAD srHB [url=http://www.mcmsaito.com/]mcm リュック[/url] ErK y imGL http://www.chloeonlineshopjp.com/ UbL t pfIW xyCO [url=http://www.chloeonlineshopjp.com/]chloe アウトレット[/url] BjI o ocQV http://www.chloehanbaijp.com/ IvH j ktSS yuQI [url=http://www.chloehanbaijp.com/]クロエ バッグ[/url] YqS f fzCJ http://www.jpsportshoes.com/ NdS m wxHI tuKH [url=http://www.jpsportshoes.com/]アディダス ランニング[/url] KnM l qrDY http://www.miumiuhonmono.com/ EeC z lhQV fdRA [url=http://www.miumiuhonmono.com/]ミュウミュウ 財布[/url] AnI i hiIN http://www.miumiubagguya.com/ ByV t reYM olPT "[url=http://www.miumiubagguya.com/]ミュウミュウ 新作[/url] "

April 9, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. uncopeFeenola

KlF p qmGX http://www.prada2013jp.com/ RcN n lrVS [url=http://www.prada2013jp.com/]プラダ バッグ[/url] BbQ idRQ t qvJB http://www.mcmmany.com/ QlL hoIC w xwXU [url=http://www.mcmmany.com/]MCM 財布[/url] PiS c euKZ http://www.mcm2013sale.com/ VcF t wcVK [url=http://www.mcm2013sale.com/]mcm 財布[/url] KxX j rfEF http://www.mcmhonmono.com/ OgV x duPA [url=http://www.mcmhonmono.com/]mcmリュック[/url] FkF xrPE x etOC http://www.mcmnewjp.com/ UwR ltIP x ttER [url=http://www.mcmnewjp.com/]mcm[/url] XmC t tqEO http://www.mcmcheap.com/ IaI v glFI [url=http://www.mcmcheap.com/]mcm バッグ[/url] PwS n xwAT http://www.nihonbaggu.com/ QwF c wmFC [url=http://www.nihonbaggu.com/]グッチ バッグ[/url] MhK d mkHE http://www.ninkiburandojp.com/ VmU c ohRY [url=http://www.ninkiburandojp.com/]シャネル[/url] DtN y ftRY http://www.garubaggu.com/ ZnF k qqXZ [url=http://www.garubaggu.com/]gucci バッグ[/url]

April 10, 2013 at 12:00 am | Report abuse | Reply