Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 29th, 2012

Micky Dolenz on Davy Jones: "He was the heart and soul of the show"

On Wednesday, the passing of legendary musical icon Davy Jones shocked and saddened fans across America, and across the globe. Having garnered most of his fame as one of the founding members of the band "The Monkees" – and as a star on the television series by the same name – Jones is dead of a heart attack at the age of 66.

This evening Piers Morgan is joined by Jones' longtime bandmate and friend Micky Dolenz, who shared his memories of the late international heartthrob:

"He got this advice from someone and went on to be just an incredible talent and a wonderful performer and such a lovely person and such a wonderful friend and the - a heart of gold," remembers Dolenz. "And would just do anything for you, anything, anywhere. And had lovely children who I feel, you know, I have so much pain for right now."

Having first worked together on the TV program in the mid-60's, Dolenz and Jones knew each other for nearly half a century, and tonight the drummer describes the lead singer, and star of the show:

"They paired us together early on. I remember that. We did these scenes together. And we kind of connected together and, you know, had some kind of a rap and the thing and the stuff and, you know, bada bing, bada boom, because, again, I guess because of our history in the business," Dolenz explains to Morgan. "But, you know, he was - obviously, he was, you know, the heart and soul. He was the heart and soul of the show."

Tune in to "Piers Morgan Tonight" at 9 p.m. ET/PT as Dolenz explains where he was when he heard the news, and how he'll remember his late friend.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Sara Keith

Davy was my first teen crush..I loved watching the Monkees and really liked the music back then. His death has brought back many memories of the late 60's...he will be missed.

February 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Anne DiSciullo

Thank you Piers, lovely tribute to Davy Jones. Mickey spoke so lovely about his good friend, Davy must have been a lovely man. RIP

February 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Cat Niss

Very touching memorial to Davy Jones from Piers and Mickey. So many boomers shedding tears through your memories. Piers you always are a classy host. So proud to have you in our home each evening. Condolences to Mickey on the loss of his friend.

February 29, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sebastian

Well, I grew up watching the iirgonals. . .;)Funny, but Davy's passing made me a little sad, too. Not sure why – he was never a heart-throb of mine (aren't you so glad?).But, for a cynical, money-grabbing hitch-hike on the Beatles' fame, the Monkees (right down to the 'misspelled' animal name) put out some decent music. . .Great story; you must have quite a butt. . .;)

April 3, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Edie Deween

I'm another boomer who grew up loving the Monkees. Thank you, Piers, for bringing on Mickey Dolenz to share his memories with us. It was a lovely tribute to a man who brought a lot of joy to this world.

March 1, 2012 at 3:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tom Berber

As this news broke, I think many Boomers not only were taken aback, but also face the realization that all of us have only so many days, by God's Grace.
    Mr. Jones made millions of people happy and his bandmates showed how fine a man he was. I offer sincere condolences to his Wife, children and the "boys in the band". I was a broadcaster, and frankly, I never got tired of playing their songs, because they were joyful. The studio musicians, including dear Glen Campbell, Leon Russel and many more, made magic. So long, Davy. Part of my salad days were better for having you around. Safe journey.

March 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Twila Covington

I grew up watching The Monkees and can't express how the feelings of losing Davy means to me. When I had my children in the 80's. They also grew up loving them. I would play the shows to them when they were 3 and 4 years old and could sing all the songs with them. I send my heartfelt prayers to Mickey and Davy's loved ones. May Davy soar high and rest in peace. I will miss him so. He will always and forever be in my heart. Love Twila

March 2, 2012 at 5:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Janet Stratton

Thank you Piers for having Mickey here to talk about Davy Jones every young girls dream guy.Mickey said such wonderful and nice things about Davy and was so glad to here them. What would we girls in the 60's have done without watching Davy every week we would have missed a great singer,actor and performer and a great looking Man. My Heartfelt Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family and friends and to all that Loved this Man Davy Jones

March 2, 2012 at 6:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bonnie

I grew up loving the Monkee's I guess I was 2nd generation, from the days of Saturday mornings. It was such a delight and something I thought would never happen seeing them live in concert several times for the 25th Reunion tour. They performed at an outside venue in L.A and I was so overwhelmed I went back the next night to be outside the amplitheatre to listen and to buy a button. Mike was not touring with them, but that second night of the show as I was outside, I heard Mike's voice and knew that history had been made. Rest In Peace Davy, althought one comment the women commentator said, that Davy was lead singer, I would beg to differ, but will put it like this he was the co-lead singer, but was always out front. of my favorite group the Monkees

March 2, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Miranda

My heat was broken when I heard the news that Davy had passed. He was my first real crush. My daughter got to meet him and she came home and found out why her mother had loved him all of theses years. All i can say that Davy will always be in my heart.And what to me that i WILL never forget him or the rest of the Monkees! My daughter was the one that got me up and told me that Davy had passed she is the one that got to meet him and she said he was a wounderful man and he was so sweet to her and that she will never for get his warm smile.

March 2, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Luisa

yes, really raelte to the multi faceted thing. I used to wish I could be really dedicated to one thing, like some people are, but that's not me, I have learn to be comfortable with being, at different times, passionately into singing, playing guitar, writing, gardening (most of the time), painting, sewing, making books, with new things interesting all the time . like I need a new hobby!

April 2, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Barbara Jackson

I was crushed by the news of Davy's passing. I became a Monkees fan in 67, saw them in concert in 89, and followed their individual paths over the years. So many memories we have shared with them over the years. Memories we will forever cherish. Thank you for sharing them with us.

March 3, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dakota

I first have to say thank you so much to the ever classy Piers Morgan for showing enough love for our beloved Davy Jones as you did for others who have passed such as Ms. Houston * Michael..Leaving reality tv was the best career choice you could have made for yourself & your viewers..with all due respect, you run circles around those on your sister network HLN..A-One Class Act...As for the ever charming & forever loved Davy Jones, my heart is so broken i havent stopped thinking of him, Mickey, Peter & Mike since the news broke..Like all the other ladies, Davy was my first real crush, a boy your parents would want you to bring home!! lucky little Marcia Marcia :) The kind tribute Mickey gave on your show tonight, speaks volumns as to the gentle, kind, giving, funny, loving, man Davy truely was..Do any of you know that Davy still takes care of 86 yr old Basil who gave Davy his apprentice start in horse racing all those yrs ago?? Basil is a father to me" Davy said & Basil refered Davy as his son..I also thought though that Mickeys words regarding his friend Davy were so poigniant & real..He lost his brother, his friend & band member all at once..Gods blessings to Davys' family, his 4 beautiful daughters, lovely wife Jessica but noone has mentioned the horses that Davy loved & cared for so much..i was thinking today how they must feel, day by day, having no knowledge of why the man who loved them & took such good care of them, hasnt come back yet..that breaks my heart even more..who can tell them so they understand...Again Mickey, thank you & God Bless you for your tribute to your friend & brother & also to Peter & Mike who I'm sure are as equally hurting inside for their own personal reasons..a part of my teens are gone forever now & as someone else said i can only hope our sweet Davy is soaring high in heaven, wrapped in the arms of our Lord & standing at the gates a beautiful steed is waiting to take him home...i will love you forever Davy & the rest of the fab 4....how quickly life goes by doesnt it? i hope MTV decides to do reruns of the MONKEES really soon, I'd love to share them with others who are a bit too young to understand the impact of what has happened to all of us..God bless you Davy, Mickey, Peter, Mike, & Piers..a well done show..Monkees 4ever <3

March 5, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Mike

Thank you Piers for interviewing Micky about the passing of Davy Jones. I was fortunate to meet Davy backstage a few years ago during the course of my work and chat for a few minutes. He was upbeat, friendly and enthusiastic, a charming person who was a pleasure to meet. My brother and I watched The Monkees TV show first-run during the 60s; many years later, my young son and daughter watched re-runs thinking they were brand new shows, and my little daughter fell in love with Davy. In recent years, my grandson has enjoyed their music too. Thank you for years of music and fun to Davy, Micky, Peter and Michael. Davy, rest in peace; and condolences to his family. Davy is certainly missed; a sad day when I heard the news.

March 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jack Offe

Go home pears.

March 30, 2012 at 6:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Crystal

I know I'm young to know who Davy Jones even is but losing him has broken my heart. I didn't cry with Micheal Jackson or Whitney Houston or even Kurt Coban from my own generation, but when I read about Davy I broke down & I still cry when I hear Daydream Beleiver to this day.When I was a kid my brother(who was born in the 60's) watched reruns of The Monkees & I watched w/ him & of course I loved the funny short guy w/ the weird way he talked. Today when I watch I can't help but be happy! It always makes me smile! It's funny that my favorite song of his is Girl because I want to tell Davy everything that song says to him: Something that is unknown to me makes you what you are & what you are is all that I want for me. And it's good to feel that way. Thank you!

April 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. morris drysdale

There lots of Zimmermans out there who are paranoid because they listen to news broadcasts about killers and thieves. How about doing some coverage on people like Zimmerman who go out and buy handguns and end up killing inocent people? More people are shot in gun accidents than shot by criminals,

April 4, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Gagandeep

If I recall rcloectry (and it HAS been awhile) the guy on the table was tied up because he didn't want to let the Monkees play at his daughter's Sweet Sixteen party. They had to fight. For their right. To play the party.Davy actually slimmed down a fair bit from this in recent years, and let his hair go gray. It looked damn good, too. That picture is at least five years old. And BN I have no idea what you're talking about. None. Nope. Not me. Nopperz.

April 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. hcg blogspot

Hey very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?I am glad to search out so many helpful information here in the submit, we'd like work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

May 16, 2012 at 5:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Tinonl Chikayof

I was looking through some of your articles on this website and I conceive this site is very informative ! Keep putting up.

July 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply