Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 5th, 2012

Kirk Cameron on abortion: "I think that it's wrong, under any circumstances"

On Friday night, actor and evangelist Kirk Cameron joined Piers Morgan for a remarkably honest interview on faith, family, and social issues.

The former star of television's "Growing Pains," Cameron is now a Born Again Christian with strong beliefs on abortion:

"I think that it's wrong, under any circumstances," shares Cameron on "Piers Morgan Tonight." "I think that someone who is ultimately willing to murder a child, even to fix another tragic and devastating situation – like rape or incest or things like that – is not taking the moral highroad."

As the discussion continues, the 41-year-old father of six explains supporting a pregnant daughter, when conception was a result of rape:

"I love my daughter, I love that little child. This is a little creature made in God's image," says Cameron. "I value life above all things."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as the former "Growing Pains" star details his feelings on value systems and moral behavior.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Paula

I hope he is against the death penalty, too

March 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • king

Paula the the baby did nothing wrong under the law so life is valued. the person who is judge under the law and who is found guilty will be sentence according to his crime.

March 5, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Edwin Montes

And GOD will do the same! the world want us to do what it thinks it right, thats what adam and eve did and they got cased out. Right now man does what ever they want, its in our nature, and then when something wrong happens the sinner comes crying to my God, Jesus Christ. The sinners is always sending everybody to heaven, it is sad but thats not the way it works. I can not say a man that sleeps with another man; Better yet a man that is slepping with another man dies n that instint, is he going to heaven, i dont think so, but a sinner would say yes. God does not change his mind.

March 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • scott

There is a big difference between the death penalty and abortion.

March 7, 2012 at 6:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kim Buckner

Dear Mr. Morgan: Thank you for saying that Mr. Cameron was brave for making the statements he did. I know that this is your job, finding out the facts, and you do such a good job of it in such a non-judgemental way and at the same time expressing your own opinions. This type of intelligent reasonable discourse is the reason I watch your show. I would like to say that if you ask any evangelical Christian these questions...,the answer will have to be the same as Mr. Cameron's. These answers unlike Mr. Limbaugh's recent remarks are not hateful. This is the anniversary of my brother's birthday. He would have been 56 today. He was gay and died from AIDS. I loved him very much no matter what. Whether a person is gay or straight, according to our Christian beliefs, they should not be despised. I don't believe that Mr. Cameron was showing hate towards gay people, but, I fear for the backlash and hate he and his family will have to endure now. Perhaps you can find a way to make it clear that although the Bible does say those things that he was pressed to articulate, there is a fine distinction here. We, (Christians) do not support gay marraige, however neither do we support oppression or hatred toward them. We should be able to disagree in a peaceful way. Thank you for listening if you ever do recieve this message.

March 5, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bruce

I love when people refer to themselves as we (Christians). I'm a Christian and believe Jesus preached love. I also know plenty of Christians that believe in gay marriage. The "we Christians" when used to condemn, criticize, blame, enable others to feel better about themselves by preaching they are better than anyone else on this earth, or to judge, no longer flies. Pull out the Bible and read about Jesus Christ and his teachings for yourself rather than listening to the personal judgements of people who misintepret his teachings and preach them to make money for themselves.

March 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • J

Yes, Jesus teaches us to love all people, but doesn't He also say, "go and sin no more"? Jesus teaches "us Christians" to love everyone, but He also taught there IS right and wrong – that is not condemning people, that is condemning actions. Mr. Cameron was completely respectful in answering a question honestly – what's wrong with that?

March 6, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • sasha

Unnatural, detrimental, and destructive are not respectful terms!

March 10, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Ann Bruce de Pineda

You have expressed my views but much more patiently and tolerantly than I could have expressed them. Thank you. I watch CNN but there is a lot of bias. I also appreciate Piers Morgan but wish he would try becoming a member of a real full gospel Christian community, whether it be Catholic or Protestant. He seemed to enjoy the celebration of Whitney Houston´s life by her full gospel Christian friends. I do think he´s seeking truth. Maybe – Brit to Brit – he should read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

March 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Linda Hostetler

Kim – Thank you so very much for putting into words how the interview with Kirk Cameron was perceived – It is very obvious Mr Morgan's belief system is not based on Biblical teachings but relativism. The statement Mr. Morgan made about his son "whatever makes you happy" made me sad – quite literally translated "if it feels good – do it " Our Hedonistic desires are our downfalls.

March 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. chloe h

Dear Mr. Morgan, At one point having faith and convictions were praised. Now many people who do not share the popular opinions of the masses are put down what ashame. thank you for saying mr.cameron was brave because i think more people than you think feel as he does but what happens when you verbalize these types of opinions you end up being attacked . what ashame even though i think he expressed himself according to his spiritual beliefs. his opinions were based on the virtues of faith and the belief system of faith groups worldwide.

March 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jane Hewes

What a beautiful testament to a man whose life is filled with the love of Christ that he is able to love like this at a time like this. For some it might take some time to arrive at the peace he and his daughter have on the matter . What an example for us all to remember!

March 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Angela

Mr. Morgan you don't know what socialism is apparently!!! We are proud of you Kirk Cameron. You are a great inspiration to fellow Christians.

March 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jon

Jesus loves all of us! But he hates sin what ever it may be, thats why he die on the cross for all of our sins, if we decide what sin is instead of what Gods word says it is where playing God. We all sin. All we haved to do is admit it and ask for forgiveness and he will give you everlasting life! But if you have a different opinion than God , that life is worth sacrificing, even if we think it is a mistake or a crime we will be held accountable for taking that life at the end of our life. To know what God's opinion is on life's questions and sins he makes it availble in his word (the Bible) . IF YOU THINK KIRKS WORDS ARE HIS, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN A GOOD INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER . OF COURSE GOD WORDS ARE NOT VERY POPULAR THESE DAYS AND HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT OPINION POLLS. EVERY KNEE WILL BOW WHEN JESUS COMES AGAIN! MORGAN JESUS LOVES YOU ! READ HIS WORDS, LISTEN WITH YOUR HEART.

March 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. NELSON

What i saw was a very smart reporter trying to make a christian who lives by biblical principles put his foot in his mouth for the world to ridicule. Then very cowardly to mistate what Mr. Cameron said by saying GOD hates gay people when Kirk is not there to defend himself and clearly did not say this. Please Mr. Morgan do not come to Mr. Cameron's defense after he gives you all the wright answers based on biblical principles and then you proceed to misrepresent him and ridicule his statements and beleif system. The one thing you stated as truth is that your neither left or right how convenient right in the middle where you are safe from taking any strong positions that can cost you anything. Imagine yourself in Mr. Cameron's shoes because that is all a cowardly reporter could do.

March 5, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Aimee A.Lanzaro

THANK GOD SOMEONE IN HOLLYWOOD HAS THE GUTS TO SAY WHAT MILLIONS OF AMERICANS ARE STILL THINKING. Gay marriage is NOT Natural, Not Normal, and wrong. Yes he said it and tip toe around it he said it and we stand by him its about time someone isnt afraid to say the truth dont blame the messenger God hates gay marraige just like he hates the sin of alcoholism, drug abuse, infidelity, ooops we shouldnt talk about that either lets keep living the lie. Thanks Cameron we will be praying that God protects you and your family.

March 5, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. KAREN

IT IS AMAZING HOW PEOPLE WANT TO INTERPRET THE BIBLE..BUT K CAMERON IS RIGHT....MANY CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS....WHICH BASICALLY MEANS YOU BELIEVE IN CHRIST OR THAT HE EXISTED....THIS DOES NOT MAKE YOU A FOLLOWER OF CHRIST NOR DOES IT MAKE YOU CHRIST LIKE....READING THE WORD....BELIEVING THE WORD...AND FOLLOWING THE WORD....IS THE CHRISTIAN THAT K CAMERON IS AND IS REFLECTING IN HIS OPINIONS....HIS COMMENTS ABOUT EITHER SUBJECT ARE GROUNDED IN HIS FAITH...AND ANYONE WHO IS A FOLLOWER OF CHRIST AND NOT JUST A BELIEVER WILL SHARE THAT SAME OPINION.....PEOPLE NEED TO STOP TWISTING EVERYTHING THAT EXISTS TO SUIT THEIR NEEDS......THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON THAT SAME FAITH....WE WERE A GOD FEARING COUNTRY ONCE ADMIRED...WE HAVE ALLOWED GOD TO BE STRICKEN FROM EVERY ASPECT OF OUR COUNTRY AND WE NOW STAND ON NOTHING.....THE VERY STRENGTH OF THIS COUNTRY HAS GONE BECAUSE IN TRYING TO STAND FOR EVERYTHING...WE STAND FOR NOTHING....YOU CANNOT USE YOUR FAITH OR BELEIFS WHEN IT SUITS YOU....THAT MAKES YOU FAITHLESS AND A NON BELEIVER.. HE NEVER SAID HE HATED ANYTHING OR ANYONE.......HE SAID IT WAS WRONG....YET YOU ALL CAME OUT OF THE WOODWORK H8IN....AMAZING .....I PRAY FOR ALL WHO THINK THEY KNOW CHRIST.......READ HIS WORD...APPLY IT TO YOUR LIFE....DO NOT STAND BEFORE HIM ONEDAY AND HAVE HIM SAY...."I KNEW YOU NOT"

March 6, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jill Boruff

Kirk Cameron did a GREAT job explaining how millions of us believe.

March 6, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Bill

Ask Cameron if one of the reasons he hates gays is because in 1991, his former business manager (who is gay) confiscated funds from him, which ended in the business manager doing jail time. Cameron, don't punish all gays because of what that guy did. What about the gay men in the industry who worked behind the scenes to help you? You're just another religious fanatic who has created a false image of God to promote your own hate agenda. I feel especially sorry for the members of the LGTB community who have supported you throughout your career, and whom you are now denouncing. The true UNNATURAL phenomenon is "Christians" who promote hate in the name of God. What goes around comes around – it is 2012 and if you think you don't personally know members of the LGTB community, then you have been drinking much more than the holy water!

March 6, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nicole Burton

Bill, at what point did Kirk say he hated Gays? Is having a different opinion considered hate. I love how you say "Christians". That's insulting. I have several friends, who happen to be gay. I would never put the word gay or lesbian in quotations. Pierce Morgan asked him questions, and he gave honest answers. Maybe they aren't popular and politcally correct, but they are HIS beliefs. He always said I feel. Should he be cruxified for his beliefs. It takes alot of courage, for anyone to say their beliefs. Whether I agree with it or not. I should not have to hide in closet for my beliefs, as the Gay and Lesbian community shouldn't have to either. Their will always be radicals in any religion, but those are few. It's just those are the ones who make the headlines. We are all Children of God. What people do, or choices they make is not my right judge. But if someone asks me my opinion , I will give an answer. I think you have a very distorted view of Christianity is. I think someone has really offended, and hurt you. I think you yearn for acceptance. We are all sinners, we all fall short. I respect your right to state your opinion, but likewise you should too I think you need to watch the interview. There was no hate agenda or promotion of hate. It just didn't coinside with your beliefs.

March 6, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Bill

The FACT that you do to acknowledge his and your hate agenda indicates that YOU are completely delusional. I don't yearn for anyone's acceptance because I am a child of God, and am therefore accepted. Think about the genesis of your hatred – the LGTB community is your target and not the cause of your hatred. YOU are a bully and you hate yourself!

March 6, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicole Burton

To add one more point just in case you actually watched the interview. Kirk was asked what he would do if one of his children were to say they were gay. That is very easy to answer if you don't have a child who is, which he doesn't. The first thing I would do is wrap him or her in my arms and say I love you unconditionally. After that I don't know. I know what I would do, is call them names and say they are going to hell,( which Kirk didn't say) All parents, regardless of belief, have a responsiblity to there child. To many children have committed sucide for the backlash of there coming out. People can love and accept the sinner, and not accept the sin.

March 6, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • CJG

We are so blessed to live in a country where we can express our views and practice our faith openly. We are also blessed to have access to various translations of the Bible and other literatures. With that being said, please find a Bible and read it. Perhaps you will find Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 (Old Testament); and Roman 1: 26-27 and Luke 16:15 (New Testament) helpful in understanding Kirk Cameron's beliefs. Jesus states in the Bible that anyone who denies him before man, He shall deny him before his father (God). The God of the Bible is a God of LOVE, but he has also given Laws and etc for us to live by, and consequences if we do not live by them. None of us is perfect, but we strive each and every day to live more and more like our savior (Jesus Christ). I don't Kirk is trying to offend, but simply trying to live by the faith he has embraced. May God bless you and Kirk Cameron.

March 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Edwin Montes

Bill fanatic or not GOD have the last word!

March 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Susan

People, people, people...what has happened to Free Speech? I'm thinking that alot of you think it's ok to voice your opinion as long as it is the same as yours. Sorry, but that's not how it works. Kirk Cameron is merely voicing his opinion on the matter. If it offends you, sorry. Did you ever stop yelling YOUR opinions long enough to realize that they might be offensive to others? Bet you didn't. For the record, I totally agree with Mr. Cameron and will even venture to say that the majority of America feels the same way. If you would stop shrieking long enough to truly listen to us you would find it's more of "Hate the Sin, not the Sinner" point of view. 2012 or not – the words of the Bible are eternal and everlasting. Everyone will realize this one day – some will be happy, some, well, you know......

March 6, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

The real sinners are those, such as yourself, who espouse hatred in the name of God. I am comforted to know that you and your comrades will have an eternity in hell to reflect on the error of your ways. And, for the record, this is my acting on my right to freedom of speech, which is a right of ALL citizens and NOT just those whom you deem to have that right.

March 6, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Susan

WOW! The only hate I see being expressed seems to be coming from your posts. It is rather obvious though, that you have been hurt very deeply in your past. Sorry for that. I'm merely stating MY opinions and beliefs as are you. Nothing hateful about that.

March 6, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
      • J

Mr Cameron was completely respectful in honestly answering the questions asked him – and I think his opinions reflect those of many more of us than the media would like to admit. I applaud the calm and careful way he articulated the beliefs of millions – many of us are completely opposed to abortion (and the death penalty) and against gay marriage (yet for civil unions). Good for him for standing for his beliefs! There was no hatred here, just freedom of speech.

March 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Debbie

Kirk Cameron expressed his opinion and the truth that true followers of Christ believe. Thank you Kirk for putting yourself out there knowing full well the media would mock you. The only person any of us should fear is God himself. You will be blessed by him for speaking the word of God without worry. And Piers, thank you for asking the questions. I am not sure the purpose was to allow a Christian to give a heartfelt answer, I think you knew this would create a firestorm and did this with less noble intentions, however, Kirk was able to say what millions of true Christians believe!!

March 6, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Michelle

Mr. Morgan, I commend you on stating that Kirk Cameron was brave in what he said about gay marriage. And to people who have the audacity to say that "we christians" need to read the bible is horrifying to me that all he knows about is how Jesus loved us and that we should love them as he did. No one is saying that you can't love them or that Jesus doesn't love them, but you need to read Leviticus 20:13 where it states that no man should lay with another male as you would a woman. Kirk Cameron was stating his opinion which in the United States we are able to do. I question people who say they are "christians" but have worldly beliefs and ride the fence of Christianity! "We" as christians need to stand up for what is biblical and true regardless of how unpopular it may be. Jesus loves us all but hates our/the sin. We act out in tempation based upon our own flesh and desires (James 1:13). I commend Kirk Cameron for standing up for what he believes and standing up for what God has stated in the bible.

March 6, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Thanks, Michelle – I love you despite your countless sins. According to your own words, Jesus hates your sins as well. Instead of hoarding your hatred, clean out your own house before you judge others. Judge not lest ye be judged, Hypocrite!

March 6, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • craig

Born again Christians are not perfect, we still sin, But Jesus said he said if we confessed our sin he would forgive our sin. there has been no judging going on here. We are only stating fact. The fact of what God says in his word.

March 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brice Henderson

I'm not happy about Mr. Morgan's treatment of Kirk Cameron & Michelle Bachman. He seems to have a bias against Christianity that is making me consider not watching his program anymore... Larry King never attacked people like this...

March 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. zombiemeathead

THIS IS SCIENCE:

FETUS IS NOT A BABY (GOOGLE THE HUMAN DEVELOPMENT CHART), but a parasite because the classification of the biological relationship that is based on the behavior one organism (fetus) and how it relates to the woman's body:

as a zygote, it invaded the woman's uterus using its TROPHOBLAST cells, hijacked her immune system by using NEUROKININ B and HCG- so her body doesn't kill it, steals her nutrients to survive, and causes her harm or potential death.

wikipedia org/wiki/Trophoblast

"The placenta functions as an immunological barrier between the mother and the fetus,
    It secretes Neurokinin B containing phosphocholine molecules. used by parasitic nematodes to avoid detection by the immune system of their host.[2]"
    wikipedia org/wiki/Immune_tolerance_in_pregnancy

" Due to its highly-negative charge, hCG may repel the immune cells of the mother, protecting the fetus during the first trimester.
    wikipedia org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

"It is also possible for a symbiotic relationship to exist between two organisms of the same species."
    answers com/topic/symbiosis - Gale's Science of Everyday Things.

"an animal or plant that lives in or on another (the host) from which it obtains nourishment. The host does not benefit from the association and is often harmed by it"
    thefreedictionary com/parasite

pregnancy CAUSES HARM: thelizlibrary org/liz/004 htm

galerouth blogspot com/

March 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cindy

One of your quotes was about two organisms from the same species being symbiotic. OK then, if they are the same species then the baby is a HUMAN.

If the baby is a HUMAN life (it is living) than ending it purposely is murder. It may be legal murder, but that is only because people have made crazy laws making it legal- it does not make it right.

March 11, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. zombiemeathead

some one should tell this fool, that his bible supported abortion!

THE BIBLE:
    the bible supported abortion, that was done by a priest, in god's name, in his holly temple!
    the 1984 NIV footnote of numbers 5:11-31 explained what "to thy thigh to rot, they belly to swell" meant: numbers 5:21 "or causes you to have a miscarrying womb and barrenness" to CAUSE a miscarrying womb IS an abortion.

'Ephraim, as I saw Tyre, is planted in a pleasant place; but Ephraim shall bring forth his children to the murderer." Give them, O LORD - what wilt Thou give? Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts...Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit; yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.'

HOSEA 9-16

the judeo-christian god is a myth and historical evidence proves it:
    3.3.3 ATHEISM: A HISTORY OF GOD (Part 1)- Evid3nc3
    2nd Foundational Falsehood of Creationism-AronRa
    Prove that Jesus is imaginary in less than 5 minutes - GIIVideo
    Christianity Exposed (Part I: Genesis) - JezusRA

March 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Tim

Where is the full interview? Please help.

March 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Christina

As a Christian, we want everyone to know about God's love and we don't want people to end up in hell. God gave his life for all of us, the ultimate sacrifice. Accepting Christ as your personal Saviour is what we want everyone to know about.

March 6, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • zombiemeathead

can you prove that your god is real? no, you can't.

can you prove that your god is real and the other gods are myths? no, you can't.

can you prove that hell exists? when the jews who created your religion doesn't believe in your hell...then, you got a problem.

think for yourself.

the judeo-christian god is a myth and historical evidence proves it:
      3.3.3 ATHEISM: A HISTORY OF GOD (Part 1)- Evid3nc3
      2nd Foundational Falsehood of Creationism-AronRa
      Prove that Jesus is imaginary in less than 5 minutes - GIIVideo
      Christianity Exposed (Part I: Genesis) - JezusRA
      The Mental Harm Done By Religion - bdwilson1000

the bible supports abortion.

March 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • God

Shame on you!

March 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dona

I praise God for how well Kirk did. He is an example to us of how kind and loving Christians are to be. He spoke God's truth in love. Jesus said the world would hate Christians because it first hated Him. If you hate Kirk it's because of Jesus in him and that you are rebelling against the ways of Jesus not because of what Kirk said because no person could be nicer.

March 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Lou

Watch the movie "The Passion of the Christ" God put on flesh and lived amoung us,then He laid His life down so that men might be saved.The existance man lives in WITHOUT God (Jesus Christ) is finite,fractured,and sick with sin.How long will man continue to be dissatisfied with his life of non-answers,to his list of ailments,pain,hopelessness,and lack of LOVE? Mans heart is callouse and darkened,and the Destroyer swallows him,his families,his children-the LOVE you seek,your deliverance from this wicked and perverse generation,your ONLY TRUE FATHER in heaven pleads thru me,for the sake of Christ-repent,ask forgiveness,turn from your selfish ways,pick up your Cross,and follow the Lord Jesus Christ.

May 6, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. electric vehicles for sale

Thank you for another informative blog. Where else could I get that kind of information written in such an ideal method? I have a undertaking that I'm just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

June 26, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Kellis Hovingq

Hello, Neat post. There's a problem along with your website in internet explorer, might check this… IE still is the market leader and a good portion of other people will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.

July 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply